DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 01-18-2007, 10:52 PM
tommapex's Avatar
tommapex tommapex is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 152
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

For a solid core set of mics you might want to considers the Shure DMK5752 package. It includes a Beta 52a for Kick, 3 SM57s and 3 drum mounts. Full Compass has an excellent deal on this package at $334. No one else even comes close.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/269391.html
__________________
Tom

http://punchdrunkmonday.com

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommapex View Post
For a solid core set of mics you might want to considers the Shure DMK5752 package. It includes a Beta 52a for Kick, 3 SM57s and 3 drum mounts. Full Compass has an excellent deal on this package at $334. No one else even comes close.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/269391.html
The problem with that is it contains no overheads at all, not even quality overheads. Which most of us agree is probably the single most important pair of microphones in any drum setup.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-18-2007, 11:32 PM
SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ's Avatar
SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana Swamp
Posts: 1,739
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by parser View Post
Good old experimentation, glad to see it! Have you tried "tenting" the kick, or used one mic inside, one outside?
Is tenting when you set up like a sleeping bag or blanket in front to make kind of a tunnel extending the depth of the kick shell? I haven't tried that but it sounds like fun. I haven't tried one in and out at the same time either. Would a large diaphragm condenser be good for the end of the tent? It'd be fun to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parser View Post
Tape Op rules! Larry Crane owns and operates Jackpot! Studios here in Portland. I've had the opportunity to track a few songs there. You wanna talk about serious mic collection, yowza!
That's great! Tape Op is my favorite magazine ever... and it's free! I only have a handful of mics and pres now. I could really use another pre at the moment. I may do that next year. This year I'm focusing on upgrading my kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Although this is MUCH more expensive, in the long run the PreSonus Firepod might be a better solution. It'll act as a direct digital interface between your microphones and your computer via a FireWire port. If you haven't got a FireWire port, the PCI cards probably run at about $60ish.
I second Presonus gear. I have the Firebox and the TubePre which are both great. I use the TubePre for my kick mic and it is nice when going direct for bass. You may even be able to find firewire pci cards for cheaper than that. I suppose it will depend on where you live. I got mine for under $40.
__________________
Listen to WWOZ
Tape Op
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-19-2007, 12:42 AM
rendezvous_drummer's Avatar
rendezvous_drummer rendezvous_drummer is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Posts: 3,182
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

I'll look into that Presonus gear and see if it's in my music store.
__________________
LET THE PEOPLE SING
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-19-2007, 02:51 AM
parser's Avatar
parser parser is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: portland, OR
Posts: 373
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
Is tenting when you set up like a sleeping bag or blanket in front to make kind of a tunnel extending the depth of the kick shell? I haven't tried that but it sounds like fun. I haven't tried one in and out at the same time either. Would a large diaphragm condenser be good for the end of the tent? It'd be fun to try.
Yeah, I just pull up the piano bench, put it about an inch from the reso side (perpendicular) and drape a heavy comforter over it and onto the kick. It keeps the outside mic from picking up everything else and helps keep the kick out of the other mics. I've only used an sm58 on the outside, I'm pretty limited with mics.

What I've noticed is that I have SO many options to find the right mix between punch and boom for the particular song. Just like double mic'ing the snare. Actually, I double mic all other instruments (guitar, bass, even vocals sometimes). Obviously phasing is critical though.

I'll third the Presonus Firepod. I paid $500 for it brand new, the place I got it from included a matched pair of -ok- OH's, plus Presonus has a deal that if you buy the Firepod for $500, they send you a nice 4 jack headphone preamp. Works out pretty good, especially to have 4 sets of phones going at the same time (with their own separate volumes).
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-25-2007, 05:31 PM
parser's Avatar
parser parser is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: portland, OR
Posts: 373
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

I started hocking stuff to upgrade my little mic situation. I sold my old snowboard and boots and picked up the Audix D6 last night...

Oh man, this thing rules! I must say I'm very impressed with the instant gratification and ease of setting up this kick drum mic. The sound is fantastic, no EQ or anything, it just sounds big and boomy, but with the right amount of punch.

Go out and get ya'll one today, you won't be dissapointed.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by parser View Post
I started hocking stuff to upgrade my little mic situation. I sold my old snowboard and boots and picked up the Audix D6 last night...

Oh man, this thing rules! I must say I'm very impressed with the instant gratification and ease of setting up this kick drum mic. The sound is fantastic, no EQ or anything, it just sounds big and boomy, but with the right amount of punch.

Go out and get ya'll one today, you won't be dissapointed.
Good work son. I'm glad that it meets your approval. Nice little number isn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-26-2007, 05:40 PM
parser's Avatar
parser parser is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: portland, OR
Posts: 373
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Good work son. I'm glad that it meets your approval. Nice little number isn't it?
Right on! Thanks for yer input (and the others too).

Here's a little sample groove I recorded to mess with the new mic. The kick is intentionally loud in the mix. I just stuck the mic up to the port-hole and hit record, no EQ, no nothing. Awesome.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 D6 test.mp3 (452.6 KB, 252 views)
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

That sir, is a very nice bass tone. It sounds very clear and transparent, I wouldn't have to do much processing at all to that if I achieved those kind of results in the future. It's a very good little microphone.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-27-2007, 06:01 AM
SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ's Avatar
SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana Swamp
Posts: 1,739
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

Yes, that is a very nice kick sound. :)
__________________
Listen to WWOZ
Tape Op
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-27-2007, 05:23 PM
parser's Avatar
parser parser is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: portland, OR
Posts: 373
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

Thanks again gents! I am really pleased with the results too, especially for just screwing around in the basement. I still have the big Gretsch kit (didn't sell it yet). I want to stick the D6 on the 24" kick to see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-27-2007, 05:42 PM
IDDrummer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by parser View Post
Thanks again gents! I am really pleased with the results too, especially for just screwing around in the basement. I still have the big Gretsch kit (didn't sell it yet). I want to stick the D6 on the 24" kick to see what happens.
You should try it on your floor tom, too, esp. if you have a 16" or 18". Sounds great! I have also gotten a wonderful sound recording a djembe using the D6 and a condensor mic together. Very sweet!

I love my D6!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-27-2007, 05:57 PM
parser's Avatar
parser parser is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: portland, OR
Posts: 373
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
You should try it on your floor tom, too, esp. if you have a 16" or 18". Sounds great! I have also gotten a wonderful sound recording a djembe using the D6 and a condensor mic together. Very sweet!

I love my D6!
Oh I wish I could use it on the floors too (and have a couple D6's). This has allowed me to move the f12 from the kick to the floors - still playing around with that one though. I'd like to hear it on my big Ampeg bass rig, probably the next experiment.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-27-2007, 08:34 PM
SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ's Avatar
SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana Swamp
Posts: 1,739
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

I think I need to add the D6 to my mic wish list. I don't think I'll be getting any new mics this year though- so maybe with next year's tax return I'll pick up a few more mics and pres. This year my return is going towards cymbals and a double kick pedal.
__________________
Listen to WWOZ
Tape Op
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

My work here is done, gentlemen. ;-).

Glad you all like that microphone. It's on my list for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

Oh, and guys. The other day I had to mix these tracks at college that some other students had recorded. The drums, to be fair, were tuned very very poorly, but the sound was not impressive. I asked which microphones were being used. The CAD Package it was!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-29-2007, 04:40 AM
SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ's Avatar
SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana Swamp
Posts: 1,739
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

I've always been a bit skeptical of the budget mic packages but I've never tried them for a proper opinion. A few of my mics are budget mics but I really like them (MXL).
__________________
Listen to WWOZ
Tape Op
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-29-2007, 07:11 AM
IDDrummer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
I've always been a bit skeptical of the budget mic packages but I've never tried them for a proper opinion. A few of my mics are budget mics but I really like them (MXL).
I've recently gotten the MXL 993 overheads, and they are very nice for reproducing the cymbals. I used them tonight at our band's rehearsal, and found they don't give much depth or low-end when they are used as the only mics on the kit, but as overheads that supplement close-mic'ed drums they are very good. They've also worked very well for acoustic guitar and djembe. I've only had the MXL's a week or so, but I've been giving them a workout!

As soon as we can attach mp3's again, I'll post the little splash cymbal sample that I recorded to give an idea how they sound.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-29-2007, 08:07 AM
rendezvous_drummer's Avatar
rendezvous_drummer rendezvous_drummer is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Posts: 3,182
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

I went to the studio that I will be recording in one month and guess which mic they had! Audix D-6 Kick mic. I'm very excited to be using it. They also have a bunch of shures for the toms and condensors. We're going to record the drums with and without the toms miced and see which one I like more.
__________________
LET THE PEOPLE SING
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-29-2007, 02:13 PM
SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ's Avatar
SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana Swamp
Posts: 1,739
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

I have the MXL 2001 which is what I normally use for my voice. It's also good for acoustic guitar and as a room mic. I have two MXL 604s that I use for OH and close mic on snare. They are also good for miking guitar amps.
__________________
Listen to WWOZ
Tape Op
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 01-29-2007, 04:03 PM
parser's Avatar
parser parser is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: portland, OR
Posts: 373
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
I went to the studio that I will be recording in one month and guess which mic they had! Audix D-6 Kick mic. I'm very excited to be using it. They also have a bunch of shures for the toms and condensors. We're going to record the drums with and without the toms miced and see which one I like more.
That's exciting. Snap a couple pics of the mic's and placement if you get a chance. I'm looking forward to hearing the results as well, good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-29-2007, 07:34 PM
rendezvous_drummer's Avatar
rendezvous_drummer rendezvous_drummer is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Posts: 3,182
Default Re: Drum Mic suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by parser View Post
That's exciting. Snap a couple pics of the mic's and placement if you get a chance. I'm looking forward to hearing the results as well, good luck!
For sure man. Thanks!
__________________
LET THE PEOPLE SING
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com