DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-02-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: John Bonham

FINALLY!

Well, after having the Led Zeppelin DVD on my Xmas wish list for the last several years...my wife finally bought it for me!! I know I should have bought it for myself....

It's been well worth the wait. Incredible video and sound for such old footage.

I've only watched the first DVD so far. Awesome...Moby Dick....Awesome...

I know, most of you have already seen these...

What I've been missing...If you don't have these, you need to get them.

-Murph
Old 01-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Senior Administrator

i found this transcript of the intro to 'rock'nroll' in MD by joe franco. looks right to me.
Attached Images

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 01-14-2007, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
see the french TV show part of the DVD. he is wearing cowboy boots!
j

see this just for some cool bonzo twirling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M49SXymmAW8

In this pic I found he's wearing sneakers... look like Adidias's..
Oakland, 7/23/77
Old 01-14-2007, 02:56 PM

Default John Henry Bonham Outtakes

Sorry if this is old news, but thought I would put it here.
In Through The Out Door outtakes.
Cheers
http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm
Old 01-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Senior Administrator

thanks i think some of these are different from the ones that have been swinging around the net so its a great find.
j

Old 01-17-2007, 02:32 AM
Womble

Wow. I've noticed this before but jeeez - 5:07 into Stairway To Heaven. Brake, screeeeeech, skid! That's some serious lagging. I guess the K did effect his timing after all.

I should point out I'm not saying for one second that it matters. Led Zep were one of those lucky bands who managed to groove despite their time moving all over the place. It's just interesting to hear.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Senior Administrator

sorry womble but i've listened to that bit ten times in a row now while tapping a table and i cannot hear what you are talking about at all. the timing there is beautiful. i guess the K is affecting your timing
;-)

what is k?

j

Old 01-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble View Post
Wow. I've noticed this before but jeeez - 5:07 into Stairway To Heaven. Brake, screeeeeech, skid! That's some serious lagging. I guess the K did effect his timing after all.

I should point out I'm not saying for one second that it matters. Led Zep were one of those lucky bands who managed to groove despite their time moving all over the place. It's just interesting to hear.
Theres no tempo change at all. Put a metranome to it. You see. its just his voice getting a little deeper i guess that makes it seems like its lagging
Old 01-17-2007, 05:10 PM
X22

You better get a new table because yours is completely off.

Quote:
sorry womble but i've listened to that bit ten times in a row now while tapping a table and i cannot hear what you are talking about at all.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Senior Administrator

is that a joke ?

j

Old 01-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Womble

Quote:
sorry womble but i've listened to that bit ten times in a row now while tapping a table and i cannot hear what you are talking about at all. the timing there is beautiful. i guess the K is affecting your timing
;-)

what is k?

j
Don't tap a table, that's not a good method: trust your ears. Pdp's correct that if you put a click on it it does pretty much stay at 86 BPM. Well, for a few bars anyway. But the dragging happens within that framework; it's about the feel of his groove and the band playing together, not the metronome. Listen to just before "The piper...".

k, j, was Bonzo's drug of choice. no jk. And I thought you had a shady past ;)
Old 01-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Senior Administrator

i tap the table because that way i'm playing the groove not a machine. so i'm still not spotting anything as harsh as 'Brake, screeeeeech, skid! ' just a beautiful feel of space and music.

BTW although in this thread the bonzo was a druggie thing has come up several times i have read many books and articles on him and have found nothing to support this from the most historic sources (friends and family, his drum tech and the authorised biographers). mention of heroine use etc is only made by fringe writings. i choose to believe that bonzo had only one huge chemical vice was C2H6O in way too large amounts too often.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
C2H6O
LOL! Nice way to put it.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:07 PM
X22

Here you go.

The pulse (86 bpm) is on the upbeats, but who cares. A pulse is a pulse. You'll hear it. If you don't hear it, put the sticks down now.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think it matters whether it speeds up or slows down. Music should have some breath in it. If I recall, Art Blakey said as much in his last MD interview.

Bonham was awesome and that track works. At least to my ears.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
I don't think it matters whether it speeds up or slows down. Music should have some breath in it. If I recall, Art Blakey said as much in his last MD interview.

Bonham was awesome and that track works. At least to my ears.
I deliberately wrote this "I should point out I'm not saying for one second that it matters. Led Zep were one of those lucky bands who managed to groove despite their time moving all over the place. It's just interesting to hear" in my first point so that people wouldn't have to chime in for no reason! No one's saying it matters, but if someone can't actually hear it that's a point for discussion.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I deliberately wrote this "I should point out I'm not saying for one second that it matters. Led Zep were one of those lucky bands who managed to groove despite their time moving all over the place. It's just interesting to hear" in my first point so that people wouldn't have to chime in for no reason! No one's saying it matters, but if someone can't actually hear it that's a point for discussion.
Oh I know. I'm not having a shot. Just adding my thoughts for whatever they're worth. Probably not much. :)
Old 01-17-2007, 06:42 PM
X22

You're right. It doesn't matter. However, to say there is no tempo change is completely wrong.

Quote:
I don't think it matters whether it speeds up or slows down.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Senior Administrator

well the error was called in the wrong place. there is no tempo change at 5:04 but there is a lag between 5:14 and 5:22. but not such a big one as to describe it as screech skid etc. so it is a pointless arguement.

j

Old 01-17-2007, 08:11 PM
X22

Nobody was arguing. People were observing. It's certanly not pointless. It is a fact that the song lags by a good 1/2 beat "in that area of the song". Take from it what you want. You may think that despite the tempo being all over the place in parts, it doesn't take away from the song in the slightest. You may think Bonham doesn't have great time or can't play to a click very well. You may think, "Who cares?" I happen to think "Womble's right, the tempo drags there. I still like the tune." Don't dismiss the tempo problem because you find it inconsequencial or didn't hear it.

Now go and listen to "All of My Love". The keyboard solo. JPJ hits two keys at the same time. *Somewhere* around 2:50 into the tune. It's a gaff but does it take away from the song?

I can also find instances where Simon Phillips clicks his sticks together by accident.

Quote:
but not such a big one as to describe it as screech skid etc. so it is a pointless arguement.

j
Old 01-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X22 View Post
I can also find instances where Simon Phillips clicks his sticks together by accident.
Or Gadd hitting a microphone. I think it all adds character. So much music today is sterile. It's nice sometimes to hear the 'human' come through.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Senior Administrator

and there were no clicks in those days which makes the music all the more interesting...damn disco! i read that ringo had such a good sense of tempo that not only did he keep time during recording but he could play take after take at the right tempo to such accuracy that later on they could splice the tapes together with no problems (basic the reason the click exsists today) but ringo was his own click!

x22 i think half a beat off is a bit harsh but we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. i think we both agree that the song is sweet all the same.

j

Old 01-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Womble

Quote:
Or Gadd hitting a microphone. I think it all adds character. So much music today is sterile. It's nice sometimes to hear the 'human' come through.
Absolutely.

I must say I'm becoming suspicious about just how many drummers are said to have precisely nailed the tempo of songs night after night or take after take. I've heard this about Carlos Vega, and I believe it, although that story was that the tempos would be 'virtually identical'. A band mate, who wouldn't know good drumming if it got up and gave him a haircut, recently told me that The Clash's drummer was known as a human metronome. I find this much harder to credit. And now Ringo...hmmm who knows?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Senior Administrator

John Bryant apparently. a top session drummer and experienced producer.

but that's a debate for the ringo thread.

j

Old 01-17-2007, 10:28 PM
X22

Human metronome... I'd like to see that. I simply don't think it's possible, *especially* in a live situation. To acheive this, it would have to be an unwaivering pulse for an extended period of time. I think it's possible over a short period of time, and close over a long period of time, but not something I'd call a metronome.

Quote:
Absolutely.

I must say I'm becoming suspicious about just how many drummers are said to have precisely nailed the tempo of songs night after night or take after take. I've heard this about Carlos Vega, and I believe it, although that story was that the tempos would be 'virtually identical'. A band mate, who wouldn't know good drumming if it got up and gave him a haircut, recently told me that The Clash's drummer was known as a human metronome. I find this much harder to credit. And now Ringo...hmmm who knows?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Senior Administrator

i vaguely remember reading about some dude who can turn his metronome on at a random tempo and then after a few seconds turn the volume off and sit there counting out fours for something ridiculous like an hour and then turn the volume up while still counting out the fours and be spot on. for some reason my memory is telling me he is chinese. do you know anything about this?

j

Old 01-17-2007, 10:41 PM
X22

You know, I'd believe it if the person in question was an idiot savant. It would make perfect sense there. Human metronome but couldn't apply it to anything other than being a metronome.

I've googled "human metronome" to death and I couldn't find a documented human metronome. Lots of claims that "so-and-so was one" but nothing legit.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Womble

Finn once posted about a Korean guy at Drumtech whose record was going 64 seconds without dropping a beat. Is it this you're thinking of? An hour sounds a bit far fetched to me.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Senior Administrator

yes that sounds right. it probably was finn. haha an hour would be impressive. 64seconds not so much.

j

Old 01-29-2007, 03:18 PM

Appologies to the administrators - (one post and I've upset them)
I've trawled this thread and maybe I missed the answer, so here goes again:

Please excuse my ignorance. I know that John Bonham used a Ludwig drumkit, but did he use any others? In particular, what did he use in the late 70's?

Strange request, I know, but I've recently bought an old car that is reputed to have been owned by him in the late '70's (might have even featured in "the song remains the same" ??). I want to use a drum pedal as the accelerator pedal as a kind of tribute to him owning it.

Any help much appreciated.

If this post is in the wrong place or it is offensive in any way then I promise to go away and never come back!!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:10 PM
X22

99% sure he used a Ludwig Speed King pedal.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Now go and listen to "All of My Love". The keyboard solo. JPJ hits two keys at the same time. *Somewhere* around 2:50 into the tune. It's a gaff but does it take away from the song?

i actually never noticed that until you pointed it out. Good observation.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
99% sure he used a Ludwig Speed King pedal.
Thanks X22, love the look of that pedal - perfect for the old '54. Found a few on ebay USA, but none in the UK. Still, I know what I'm after now - thanks again.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:59 PM
X22

And while we're at it... Simon Phillips on Pete Townshend's tune "Face the Face" (White City). At about 1:09 in the tune Simon hits the rim instead of the snare. I'm not completely convinced it was accidental because it *almost* fits, but I'm pretty sure he missed the snare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091 View Post
i actually never noticed that until you pointed it out. Good observation.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Bonham-Only Tracks on Zeppelin Lost Sessions Vol. 4

Hi - I hope this request is OK to post here - if not, sorry and please delete.

Does anyone happen to have:

Led Zeppelin - Lost Sessions Vol. 4
Empress Valley Supreme #EVSD-308/309 - 2 CD set

There are some drum takes (I believe pieces of the final takes used in the final mix) that include the "Fool in the Rain" snippet available here on this site.

I really enjoy listening to the Fool in the Rain (drums only) and comparing it to the final mix . Checking out the other tracks available as drums-only on the above compilation would be excellent!

Thanks in advance.

PS: Here is the track list for this set:

Disc 1: (November - December 1978, Polar Studios):
1. All My Love (rough mix / take)
2. Unreleased Song (Drum track)
3. Carouselambra (Drum Track)
4. Ozone Baby (Drum Track),
5. Ozone Baby (Drum Track)
6. All My Love (Drum Track)
7. Wearing and Tearing (Drum Track)
8. I'm Gonna Crawl (Drum Segment)
9. Fool In the Rain (Drum Track)

Disc 2: (May 1978, Clearwell Castle)
1. Fire
2. Carouselambra (takes 1-3)
/// (November - December 1978 Polar Studios)
3. Carouselambra (Instrumental Fragment)
5. Wearing and Tearing
6. Fool In the Rain
7. Hot Dog
8. In the Evening
9. Southbound Suarez
10. Darlene
11. Fool In the Rain
12. Carouselambra
Old 02-08-2007, 01:19 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Help ! John Bonham File

That in no way sounds like the bass drum. I can hear that noise at 4:20 along side the drums. It's some electronic interference but who knows what caused it. Mic, guitar, cord, amp, etc.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:21 AM

im a big zeppelin fan and ive never heard Bonzo do that. I think it might be a mic. problem because at around 4:32 in to the song you dont see his legs moving nor do you see his body moving.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:51 AM
fourstringdrums

I agree that it's probably a mic or some other interference. It's definately not him.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:55 AM

howdy y'all...you folks might find this interesting...

apparently, Jazz Bonham goes to my school. yeah, she's in middle school, but the middle school dean also handles the driving stuff, so i was speeding on campus today and got called in and so did jazz for chewing gum. i had NO clue who she was...when they asked for her name, she was like "Jazz Bonham" and i went "Bonham? like John and Jason Bonham?"
so she goes, "Yup" and all i could think of was "wow...um...i ah...i play drums..." and she was like "Oh, me too. it's kind of in my blood." or something...think i passed out there...ANYWAY...yeah, story time's over. I am so becoming good friends and going over to her house. WOO-HA!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:35 AM

Is it just me or did Jason have a SON named Jazz?