DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-31-2006, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Joey Jordison

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnZ
I love joey's playing and the solo on disasterpiece... And the solo is just a crowd pleaser? ehh you're on a stage in front of thousands of fans. To please your the crowd is what you get paid for.. the hole point of a concert. So of course its a crowd pleaser. But it also awsome playing:D \m/OoO
I totally agree!
Maybe in a different type of band, the focus is more on skill and playing great music together ect... However, the band that Slipknot is, the heavy moshing ect, pleasing the crowd is what its all about.

II xMETALx II
Xbox LIVE GT: (xTc II D3ATH x)
Old 08-03-2006, 06:06 AM

I know I know old thread.. But i've done my research on Slipknot.. interesting history if you really wanna take the time. Yes, the 2 other drummers are fairly good, Actually Shawn Crahan was the original drummer. No, Jordison is not only a heavy metal drummer. I heard a song from 1997, an original "never supposed to be heard" off their album "Crowz". Supposedly only like 3 were made, but there is a song called Wise Up, its basically 17 minutes of them just jamming, line up then was lacking Chris Fehn and a couple others, primarily Sid Wilson and Jim Root(or Mick Thompson) I cant honestly remember. But it actually sounds very little like Slipknot now. By very little I mean "wow I can't tell" Except for Jordison, I really couldn't Joey just has that style that you're like yep, that's him. But he laid down some funky grooves that I liked no less than his work on Slipknot, Iowa and Volume 3: The Subliminal Verses. I like his style, I love the rolls and double bass grooves. Fun to play too. I'm not gonna rant and rave about how all other drummers suck and Jordison is god, I love the guys style and hes my favorite but I am willing to admit that there are better drummers than him and every mans entitled to his own opinion, just wanted to shed some light onto the situation involving Shawn Crahan and Chris Fehn. :) Also about how Jordison would or wouldn't sound good playing Jazz, or something similar, i've heard it and yes he sounds very good considering its almost a decade ago.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:01 PM

[hello, i see what your saying about the other drummers but they make the band seem much more heavier and Chris and Shawn also do backing singing in some songs, also what would duality be without the beer keg?. With or without Chris and Shawn Joey is still amazing.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:10 AM

Yes that also, Shawn does back up vocals for a lot of songs, The Nameless(If you listen live he also says things during the "Pathetic.. Accepted.. etc" part. Ah yes, the beer keg part in duality! haha I love seeing him live beat that thing with a baseball bat, requires no talent but he knows how to time it, if you listen to songs you'll hear it and be like damn, that added a lot of character to the song. The marching snare part in The Blister Exists is rather easy.. but it's not bad either. Easy doesn't always equal bad haha I like it, one of the first things I played actually.. Thought I was cool but now I was like oh.. that really required no talent.. haha

Also for those solo people, the 9.0 solo sounds a whole lot better than the Disasterpieces IMO. Sort of same thing but I feel like I hear a lot more cymbals and stuff

Last edited by Slipknotfan485; 08-04-2006 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:48 AM

Wow, that was alot of reading! Many different thoughts and views on Mr. Jordison. Heres mine: Joey is an exceptional drummer. He gives Slipknot's sound what it needs drumwise. I will never go as far to say he is the best drummer, but he could possibly be the best at what he does for them. It's all taste and opinon obviously. He is exceptional. His style and speed fit right in with Slipknot. He does play some complicated stuff too. Nice coordination, fast hands and feet.
ECCLESIASTES 12:13
Old 08-26-2006, 11:42 PM

The two percussionists really are useful, just not at all tracks. For instance, they don't play on The Heretic Anthem and some other songs, but they do contribute very well in songs such as The Blister Exists, Iowa, Gently and Duality. These songs would not be same without the percussionists.

As for Joey, he is an really good drummer IMO.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:22 AM

i dunno about you guys but i really wish one day that joey jordison will stop being a topic about weither hes good or bad. he's living my dream so he must be doing something right, at least to me. good enough for me.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:22 AM

jordison is by no means the best drummer. he is incredible but not the best. but to all those who say 'i can do that hes just quick.' i would love to see you create such complex beats to the insane music of all the other 8 members of slipknot. not so easy. i'm sure its possible, jordison just happened to be the one in slipknot, but jordison is to slipknot what bonham was to led zeppelin. enough said..

other news- yes slipknot has a new dvd coming out this year-- being worked out by shawn crahan. should be better than disasterpieces believe it or not and their supposed time of return is 2008. the new album should be out very soon after the rejoining, since most members are still warmed up due to side projects and such. they also have some material already made, they are musicians.. material can come at any time haha. no promises from me, anything can happen to alter events, hopefully not however. i for 1 am looking forward to the new slipknot album.

Last edited by Slipknotfan485; 09-01-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:15 PM

I've never been a huge fan of Jordison's work, I wouldn't go as far as to say he sucks, but from the songs and solos I've heard, he comprises most of performance with bass blast mixed with doubles, bounces, and rolls on the toms with a cymbal crash from time to time. Not much of his playing ever really demonstrates a good syncopated beat or any impressive chops. Sure, he's got some speed, but there's more than that to the equasion in my (somewhat educated) opinion.

Of course, at the same time, he does do enough to have his playing match the rest of the band, fit the style, and keep the mood, color, and tone of the song.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:10 AM

i think joey doesnt have the greatest solos (espescially the ones on disterpieces and their live cd) but i do think he has some pretty cool chops in the sound check (its on you tube) i also think duality has an amazing beat. But still Joey is not great he is just good. I consider him more of an icon for metal than for drums.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:12 AM

by the way does any body have his snare drum? Im trying to decide if i should buy one.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudgytheclown
by the way does any body have his snare drum? Im trying to decide if i should buy one.
i've played his snare drum in the drum centre...

it has a nice response and sounds exactly as it does on the album (if you like the sound on the album...)

nice drum, 13 inch...

My Kit

My Band
Old 09-10-2006, 05:04 AM

thanks ill take that into concideration any one else have the snare?
Old 09-15-2006, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl drummer92
are u crazy! listen carefully and u will hear a bunch of cymbal stuff. and other stuff its actuall relly complicated
I personally think that a lot of people on this thread havnt even seen his solo, they are just trying to go along with the crowd, possibly because of their dislike for Slipknot.

Joey is an awsome drummer and a huge inspiration to me. If people dislike his playing then whatever, but if you call him unskillful then your just ignorent.

II xMETALx II
Xbox LIVE GT: (xTc II D3ATH x)
Old 09-15-2006, 05:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornslipknot
I personally think that a lot of people on this thread havnt even seen his solo, they are just trying to go along with the crowd, possibly because of their dislike for Slipknot.

Joey is an awsome drummer and a huge inspiration to me. If people dislike his playing then whatever, but if you call him unskillful then your just ignorent.
I've seen the solo, live in concert and it was far more interesting live than watching it on the internet. He's got chops, but it really works better in Slipknot's music. Soloing to me, is the drums' attempt at being melodic and telling a complete musical story. It's not a bunch of doublebass blasts and tom/bass combos. Maybe as he gets older, his solos will become more melodic.

It's not bad stuff at all... and the crowd digs it, as did I.. the crowd also buys the records. I guess you can't argue with what makes them happy.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:51 PM

OK.Joey is good,hes got talent,hes fast.Theres a whole bunch of metal drummers who kick his ass not to mention drummaz like gadd or weckl lol.His sucks actually...BUT the guy is a showman,he did not do the solo to earn our(the drummer-world) apreciation.He does it to please the fourteen year old moshers who call him the best drummer of the world just cause all the drummers they know is jon dolmayan and jordison.So my point is that the guy does 50% music 50%showbuisness.I find it stupid to run 5hours a day to make your doublbass spped higher instead of practising
Old 10-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebass
OK.Joey is good,hes got talent,hes fast.Theres a whole bunch of metal drummers who kick his ass not to mention drummaz like gadd or weckl lol.His sucks actually...BUT the guy is a showman,he did not do the solo to earn our(the drummer-world) apreciation.He does it to please the fourteen year old moshers who call him the best drummer of the world just cause all the drummers they know is jon dolmayan and jordison.So my point is that the guy does 50% music 50%showbuisness.I find it stupid to run 5hours a day to make your doublbass spped higher instead of practising
Who knows... maybe Joey will burn out playing metal, take lessons from Freddy Gruber and become a jazz player.

Stranger things have happened.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:43 PM

I'll admit, even though I despise Slipknot, that Joey is a good drummer. Not the best drummer in metal, but a good drummer. Though he is not the most creative drummer, I still give him credit for developing his speed to that degree. It does take patience to develop speed, and as long as his drumming complements the music being played, I see no problem. Personally, I enjoy drummers such as Dave Lombardo and Martin Lopez, but Joey does deserve respect.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by doublebass

Hmm, not sure why you mentioned John Dolmayan. I believe he is actually an underrated drummer. But this is not the Dolmayan thread, so I'll take my business to that thread :O
Old 10-11-2006, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_drummer
I'll admit, even though I despise Slipknot, that Joey is a good drummer. Not the best drummer in metal, but a good drummer. Though he is not the most creative drummer, I still give him credit for developing his speed to that degree. It does take patience to develop speed, and as long as his drumming complements the music being played, I see no problem. Personally, I enjoy drummers such as Dave Lombardo and Martin Lopez, but Joey does deserve respect.
I agree.

Though i do think he is creative with his solo. So many people on this thread Dont rate Joey due to so called 'crowd pleasing' solo's. What an absolute joke that is, seriously.

When you listen to the solo from 9.0 for example, joey is stopping and starting the kicks at such a fast speed, as well as doing crazy chops ect on the tomms. I listen to it completely stunned sometimes trying to figure out what he is doing.

best drummer in metal, of cource not. But not liking a drummer due to these 'crowd pleasing' solo's is rediculas.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:36 AM

To tell you guys the truth, Slipknot is my favourite band and i myself am a drummer and Joey Jordison happens to be my idol. This guy is one of the fastest drummers in history and hes one of the best also.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:06 AM

Joey Jordison is fast, but thats about it
Old 12-13-2006, 01:32 AM

Joey is a good drummer. I personally like Slipknot and all of you who say they suck I don't care what you think. Music is about personal likes and dislikes. I know most of you think the solo is a crowd pleaser but what would you expect? he is spinning around on a platform. If you don't like it don't listen to it and don't watch the solo!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:05 AM

just curious... does he play a Pearl PowerShifter Eliminator double pedal?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:29 AM

He usually plays two singles. I always thought they were cobras but I have been told he has switched to the eliminators.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 AM

I thought he played Cobra's now..

Stopped using eliminators in 2005?

Could be wrong. Would be cool to know!

If he changed, it wouldn't be the first time he's gone for the worse. The moment he decided to switch to Pearl from Orange County?

Fool =P

Love him aha!

Laul.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

Well on their first album he used to play cobras and on Iowa too - Iowa is my favourite. Itīs completly brutal!
And yeah I do find it strange of him changing from ocdp to pearl drums...
Old 12-13-2006, 09:50 PM

it has been stated before, but i'll re-iterate:

joey has been endorsed by pearl since the success of Iowa, so it would make sense that he plays pearl drums, hardware and has his siggy pearl snare, so i answer to the question; yes he does now play pearl pedals, not entirley sure which ones though so sorry bout that.

in the (sometimes infamous) disasterpeices solo video, he is playing his OCDP kit with cobra pedals etc, but the 9.0 live CD solo (which i personally think is better) he is playing his pearl masters MMX complete w/pearl hardware and sig. snare

hope this elightens some people :)

My Kit

My Band
Old 12-28-2006, 10:56 AM

Default joey jordison reassurance

for all of you who still think joey's feet arnt that fast or arnt up there with the top listen to the begining of me inside....
Old 12-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Default Re: joey jordison reassurance

Joey Jordison is a very good drummer - solid technique - I know it...

Doing the job with Slipknot - yes.

But it's not a sport or competition.

If so, he wouldn't be selected as a member of the US Olympic Team.

Bernhard
Old 01-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Silver Member

i recently watched his solo when he spins around on the thingie.. and the solo had no groove.. it was just fast double bnass with a few fills mixed in... no solid beat or groove. very disapointed
Old 01-26-2007, 11:00 AM

Why does a solo have to have a groove? If every solo had a groove then Drum Solo's would be pretty boring wouldn't they?

I've seen plenty of Buddy Rich or Tony WIlliams (to name 2) solo's without any sort of groove - not that I'm comparing Jordison with them, but you see my point...
Old 01-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
All crowd-pleasers.
Sounds to me like he did everything right. Just like Krupa. ;-)
Old 01-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook View Post
Why does a solo have to have a groove? If every solo had a groove then Drum Solo's would be pretty boring wouldn't they?

I've seen plenty of Buddy Rich or Tony WIlliams (to name 2) solo's without any sort of groove - not that I'm comparing Jordison with them, but you see my point...
i know im going to get BASHED the crap out of.. but iv watched a few buddy rich videos here on drummerworld... and sure they were fast, but i like the thomas lang nautilous (spelling?) video muchhh more.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
Sounds to me like he did everything right. Just like Krupa. ;-)
Agreed.

I think it's important that a drummer - or any musician - play what the music calls for. Depending on the style of music, that could be a funky groove, mindless Phil Rudd backbeat, fast/mechanistic/soulless blast beat, highly syncopated jazz polyrhythm, whatever. I think it's dumb to say "Joey doesn't play a groove" when that aspect of music isn't valued in this particular genre. He plays what he needs to play and does it well in terms of what the genre calls for. Slipknot's brand of metal is as subtle as a jackhammer and the drummer needs to support that.

To me, Ringo Starr is one of the most uninspiring, limp drummers I have ever heard. But he played exactly what the music needed.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 01-27-2007, 12:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Agreed.

I think it's important that a drummer - or any musician - play what the music calls for. Depending on the style of music, that could be a funky groove, mindless Phil Rudd backbeat, fast/mechanistic/soulless blast beat, highly syncopated jazz polyrhythm, whatever. I think it's dumb to say "Joey doesn't play a groove" when that aspect of music isn't valued in this particular genre. He plays what he needs to play and does it well in terms of what the genre calls for. Slipknot's brand of metal is as subtle as a jackhammer and the drummer needs to support that.

To me, Ringo Starr is one of the most uninspiring, limp drummers I have ever heard. But he played exactly what the music needed.

www.terrasonus.com
I agree completely. I myself used to find Brad Wilk (Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine) boring and unoriginal, until I realized how much is playing complimented the other musicians.

When people slam drummers for being too technical, no technical enough, or unoriginal, they're usually taking the playing out of context.

PS: Deathmetalconga your avatar is freaking me out...

My Yamaha Kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...050#post287050
Old 01-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Senior Consultant

Default Re: can YOU drum like joey?

Yes, I can drum like Joey. I actually got paid $1200.00 to play on 6 tracks recently in which I was told to "drum like Joey".

I find that funny because Joey is drumming like Dave Lombardo, only not as good.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Gold Member

Yep, more or less. 20000000000000000
Old 01-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Senior Administrator

that solo is a great piece of showmanship and truly not a good piece of musicianship. nice to watch but not to listen to. you should aspire to putting on a show like that but not to being able to drum like that. want to hear good solos in the same general genre then look up jason bitner or thomas haake. hell even aquiles priester is faster and more musical.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 01-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Banned

I think many drummers miss the point when it comes to soloing in front of an audience of non drummers. As Louis Bellson has so often said, Krupa was not the most technically gifted drummer of his era, but all he had to do was hit the splash cymbal and smile to bring the house down. Non drummers simply do not understand the complex riff in 5 taking place over the syncopated 7/8 played with the feet. Simply put, once people reach a point of not understanding what is going on, they can lose interest.

Many times when non drummers talk to me about drum solos, they mention Ina Gadda da Vida. Certainly not the most complex of solos. But non drummers are able in some way to relate to it and remember it.

It is our job to please the audience. That is what Joey did.

This idea that every drum solo must in some way be superior to every other drum solo fails to take into acount musicality. Drumming is NOT a sport.