DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Guinness

Default Aquarian Regulator Ported Resonant Problems

This head has given me fits trying to get a bass drum sound that you can feel in your chest. I'm going to hit it again tonight and try different things to see about getting the sound I want. It seems to choke everything out of the drum and make for a very dull THUD. I use a coated Remo Powerstroke 3 batter with a felt strip and a pillow inside. I will admit, I bought this head because I wanted a cool looking ported reso. I want to be able to FEEL the bass, and never seem to have a problem getting the right sound from a non-ported head. Unfortunately, for miking purposes a ported is more friendly. Does anyone have any suggestions of tricks you have tried to get some life out of this thing? I spent to much money on it not to use at this point. I visited the Drum Tuning Bible several times last night in my futile attempts....I will figure it out eventually, but if anyone has a specific shortcut it would certainly save me a lot of time and frustration.

Scott
Old 01-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Aquarian Regulator Ported Resonant Problems

How did you tune the regulator ? Loose - medium - tight ?

Have you tried to work the tuning of your PS3 batter too. Every people talking about regulator and love them are using Superkick batter without any other muffling inside (no pillow).

Actually I've done the contrary, I have SuperKick I batter and fiberskyn (ambs weight) unported reso.

Good luck and mess and the tuning, you'll find a way to make it sound good, I'm sure.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Pioneer Member

It's probably too much muffling that's causing your problem. I'd invest in a super kick II and run the drum without muffling. You'll get a nice thud, but with some tone and roundness.

Right now you have two muffled heads, plus the blanket. That seems a bit much to me.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Guinness

Thanks for the feedback. I actually have the batter tuned up rather tight, but not too tight. I have the Regulator tuned down to the lowest note, or close to the lowest note. I'm thinking first I will take the pillow out and then raise the reso. pitch and see what happens tonight.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

I have a 22x18 bass drum. I use a Regulator and a Super Kick 1. I don't have anything in the drum. I can feel it in my chest while playing as I were mic'd. If this what you are after, you may want to consider giving this combo a try. I would say that both heads are at medium tension.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I actually have the batter tuned up rather tight, but not too tight. I have the Regulator tuned down to the lowest note, or close to the lowest note. I'm thinking first I will take the pillow out and then raise the reso. pitch and see what happens tonight.
To get some tone and boom out of your kick tune both heads to the same pitch or tune the reso head slightly higher than the batter head.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:25 PM

I dont have a regulator reso, but last week i stuck some bubble-wrap on the reso head to dampen it a little, and found that i had to tune it tighter than before to get the 'miked' sound.

My batter is now at medium tension and my reso is medium-tight.

Eventually i will get an SKII and regulator but they're just so damn expensive...
Old 01-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Guinness

Okay...I give up. I'm off to the store in about 15 minutes to buy a Super Kick 1 or 2. The ps3 batter seems to be incapable of producing a thud, even with a pillow.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Okay...I give up. I'm off to the store in about 15 minutes to buy a Super Kick 1 or 2. The ps3 batter seems to be incapable of producing a thud, even with a pillow.
I use the SK 2 and the Regulator ported on my Delite 20" kick.
I have a rolled up small towel taped to the very bottom of the shell, just where it touches about maybe 2" of each head....nothing else inside the drum. This little kick is so freakin' loud and punchy.
I do have the SK2 tuned fairly low, with the reso slightly higher. The key to getting that "boom" sems to be having the reso higher than the batter, especially if you're unmiced.
SK2 is a great, great head.
Cheers
Phil
Old 01-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Guinness

Problem solved...wheewww! That thing was driving me crazy. I picked up a Super Kick 1 and tuned it up about the same tension as a floor tom the Regulator reso I tuned down to about the lowest note just past the wrinkle stage. The boom was great, but there was still a bit of an overtone so I rolled up a small towel and taped it together and layed it up against the reso head. Perfect! Still a large boomy bass and a bit of punch...just like I like em'. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Problem solved...wheewww! That thing was driving me crazy. I picked up a Super Kick 1 and tuned it up about the same tension as a floor tom the Regulator reso I tuned down to about the lowest note just past the wrinkle stage. The boom was great, but there was still a bit of an overtone so I rolled up a small towel and taped it together and layed it up against the reso head. Perfect! Still a large boomy bass and a bit of punch...just like I like em'. Thanks for the advice.

Glad to have you in the Aquarian family :-)

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-23-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Glad to have you in the Aquarian family :-)
No kidding! :)

Seriously, sometimes I wonder how long it'll be before everyone converts to Aquarian.

Long live Aquarian!
Old 01-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

Must be the dawning of the age of Aquarian.