DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-16-2007, 10:29 PM

Default 3 Up 2 Down

Ive been told my kit would be best 3 up 2 down as aposed to 4 up 1 down
what do you thinks best:
buying a 14" tom and putting in on the floor to make 4 up 2 down or ...
putting my 13" on the floor to make 3 up 2 down

To be honest 3 up 2 down does sound like a good idea, i have seen many pros with a set up like this.

heres my kit so you can see what i have
Attached Images

Last edited by hawkins01902; 01-16-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: 3 Up 2 Down

I have been told the same thing. I now wish that i had gotten another floor tom instead of my 8 inch tom. I mean i like never use it, unless im playing YYZ (i tuned that tom way high for killer sound). I just think it would be more fun to use with 3 up 2 down.

Remember, im the one who has nearly the same setup as you, so i know what you are going through.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:16 PM

yeye. i use all of my drums so i think im gna convert it becuase as you say it does seem to be more fun.
u have an old stand knockin about so all i need is a clamp to mount my tom to it :)
keep me posted if you make any changes
george
Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

I don't like floor toms or the concept of floor toms. The main problem I have with them is the discontinuity of the angle. My rack toms are angled just right, but then the floor tom would be radically lower and flatter. Two floor toms for me is even worse, as I'd have to twist my back around to play it.

I have a 14-inch "floor tom" suspended, so it continues the same angle as the other three toms I have (see at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=18719). If I got a 16-incher, I'd suspend that too and shift all toms to the left even more. In my set, there are simply "toms" and they all carry through a sweeping arc.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 01-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Personally i'm a 3 up 2 down guy myself (check my kit). It allows me a better angle on all of my toms and more options for spacing of things. Not to mention a more favorable angle for my rack toms. Try it out. What ever you like best is the best.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:19 AM

Nice set! I personally like 3 up 2 down. This is basically how mine is set up minus the octobans and gong drum. With this configuration it lets me put my ride over my right bass drum and bring everything in closer in general. Also I think it looks more balanced if you have a single kick , but thats not that big a deal.

I had 4 toms for a while on my old set 8 , 10 , 12 , 13 and 16/18 floors. I eventually removed the 13 and put it to the left of my hihat. I would say try it several different ways and see what is more confortable. Sometimes changing things up can be a good thing... make you think / play differently than you have before.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:35 AM

I prefer 3 up 2 down. Although a second floor tom means you have to twist your body to the right to play it, for me it's more about comfortable placement of the hi-hat. Since I use it way more than any of the toms, I want the hi-hat and its pedal to be exactly where they are comfortable for me. I've found that's hard to do when its fighting for space with some toms mounted on the left side. In fact, looking at your picture, I know your setup would be very uncomfortable for me based on the placement of your hi-hat.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I prefer 3 up 2 down. Although a second floor tom means you have to twist your body to the right to play it, for me it's more about comfortable placement of the hi-hat. Since I use it way more than any of the toms, I want the hi-hat and its pedal to be exactly where they are comfortable for me. I've found that's hard to do when its fighting for space with some toms mounted on the left side. In fact, looking at your picture, I know your setup would be very uncomfortable for me based on the placement of your hi-hat.
Disco Stu is right on the money for hi hat placement. As for floor toms ... I dont like turning much either. I usually have my second floor tom sit farther to the right than my 1st floor tom. I dont like them to be exactly the same. This seems to make it easier for my to reach without having to completely turn my torso to the right.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:18 PM
larlev

I like the way you have it now.....that's how I would keep it....

I am too old to twist around to get at the last floor tom...
Old 01-17-2007, 05:23 PM

If it were my kit, I'd keep it the same except move your smallest tom to the left of your hi-hat and move your hi-hat in towards the right so it's not so far out.