DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-03-2007, 04:58 AM

Default Aquarian Heads

ive never used them, they look pretty cool.

ive only ever used Evans. once mine are worn, i was thinking of going with Remo Pinstripes.

ive seen some cool looking aquarians though, i dont think ive heard them.

suggestions.

pros/cons?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Aquarian Heads

what you wanna know ?

What head you have right now ?

If you want to go with pinstripe then I invite you to try Aquarian Response II (maybe Perfomance II would do the job but I prefer unmuffled head).

I know the audio quality doesn't do Aquarian heads justice but it give a good indication about which one you prefer -> choose the one you like http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=5XmylwcLrNk

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-03-2007, 03:34 PM

I just went with a set of coated Super 2s over Classic Clears on my Starclassic. I am hooked. Super 2s are two ply, but slightly thinner than Pinstripes or G2s. They seem to have a more lively feel and response than other 2 ply heads...very cool. IF you want, call Aquarian and talk to someone. You will probably get Roy Burns, the head of Aquarian. Go to www.aquariandrumheads.com and look for their contact number, then tell them you want to talk to someone regarding drum head choices. You will not be dissappointed.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:58 PM

I used a set of Response II heads with Evans Resonant on my Premier Signia kit 10 years ago, and the combination was great! I now use Remo Emps (Coated and Clear) on the batters of my Sonor 3005 kit. They sound decent, but will probably will go to either Evans G2 coated or even back to the Aquarians. The only thing negative about the Aquarian Response II head for me, was the durability. I am not a 100% heavy hitter, but when I want to lay into the skins, I can. I was replacing them slightly more often than my Remos or Evans heads that were also 2 ply.

But, to find the sound you are looking for, we need your kit specs. And a description of whos drum sound you like. There is a lot of soul searching when it comes to drum heads. It may take a long time of shopping and experimenting with different combinations of heads and especially the tuning of your drums. Each shell has a "sweet-spot" for how that drum will sound best. For some, it is a life long process to get the right sound. Do not get frustrated, just try to find a drumhead that descibes the sound you want. Then tune the kit to your liking and see how it is. If it is too bright or too warm, then the next purchase should be the next level. Do not go too drastic of a change, going either to the next brighter or warmer drumhead will be to fine tune your kit.

Again, it may take some time, but stay persistant to get your sound.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyWaters View Post
I just went with a set of coated Super 2s over Classic Clears on my Starclassic. I am hooked. Super 2s are two ply, but slightly thinner than Pinstripes or G2s. They seem to have a more lively feel and response than other 2 ply heads...very cool. IF you want, call Aquarian and talk to someone. You will probably get Roy Burns, the head of Aquarian. Go to www.aquariandrumheads.com and look for their contact number, then tell them you want to talk to someone regarding drum head choices. You will not be dissappointed.
I thought too to advice him to go with super-2 but since he said pinstripe, I thought the response II would suit him better but you're right and myself, I might prefer them to response II :-)

FYI, the response II are two 7 mil ply and Super-2 is 5 mil upper ply and 7 mil bottom ply.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-03-2007, 04:09 PM

Aquarian is the best company for heads. Good customer service, quality heads is what you will get

IT seems your looking for a thicker head. But dont go Pinstripes, EC2 etc. You are better off to just get a normal 2ply head and then use dampaners. With Pins,EC2's you cant

So your better off.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

I disagree a little... Pinstripes are loads deader than the EC2'S.....i would recomend the EC2's for what you have discribed..
Old 01-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evans_69 View Post
I disagree a little... Pinstripes are loads deader than the EC2'S.....i would recomend the EC2's for what you have discribed..

Agreed. The EC2s sound similar to the Studio X heads, but are a lot more durable.

I might have to try the Super IIs next time around.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:40 PM
da cheese walks

i have to admit...for toms im a REMO coated ambassador man(resonants are pinstripes),

but for my snare i use an Aquarian texture coated,with the power dot...man its the sex!
i cant say i like much aquarian heads...REMO are my thing...but yeah for my snare it sounds lovely...
Old 01-04-2007, 01:16 AM

pinstripes are nothing amazing, was bored with thair sound almost instantly. aquarian are pretty sweet heads. they got lots of different modles to pick from.

GRETSCH, AQUARIAN, PRO-MARK, SALUDA, SABIAN, WUHAN.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:36 AM
da cheese walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by my sacred music View Post
pinstripes are nothing amazing, was bored with thair sound almost instantly. aquarian are pretty sweet heads. they got lots of different modles to pick from.
pinstripes are wonderful as resonants on toms....!(just my little opinion!!had to get in there!!haha!)
Old 01-04-2007, 01:58 AM

dude i tried pinstripe on the bottoms once i got a clear one ply ambassador head and switched em around i hate pinstripes all together anywere, it made the drum sound so dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da cheese walks View Post
pinstripes are wonderful as resonants on toms....!(just my little opinion!!had to get in there!!haha!)

GRETSCH, AQUARIAN, PRO-MARK, SALUDA, SABIAN, WUHAN.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:09 AM
da cheese walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by my sacred music View Post
dude i tried pinstripe on the bottoms once i got a clear one ply ambassador head and switched em around i hate pinstripes all together anywere, it made the drum sound so dead.
ah its all relative i suppose...i got a lovely sound from putting used pinstripes as the resonants,and tuning pretty high,then putting coated ambassadors on teh batter side...sounds lovely for jazz,and funk....
Old 01-04-2007, 10:04 PM

I've used Remos for 30 years and recently discovered the American Vintage. They are the best heads I've ever used.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanz View Post
I've used Remos for 30 years and recently discovered the American Vintage. They are the best heads I've ever used.

Glad you like them, I never tried the american vintage but I have the modern vintage for one of my snare and it sound so sweet, really different from what we used to hear and from what it's offered on the market.

They (Aquarian) did their homework to find the best way to match original goat skin... I love them for what they are and what they offer.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-05-2007, 01:55 AM

I really want to try them super-2's. Finally a 2ply head thats bright and lively!

I love TC with powerdots on my snares to. I wasted my money on a hi energy, which was alright but to thick. My snare (tama artwood) works really well with thiner heads
Old 01-05-2007, 03:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjian 242 View Post
I really want to try them super-2's. Finally a 2ply head thats bright and lively!

I love TC with powerdots on my snares to. I wasted my money on a hi energy, which was alright but to thick. My snare (tama artwood) works really well with thiner heads
I just receive tonight a 14" Focus-x w/ powerdot and I have fit it on my steel snare - I cant comment right now because with Aquarian, their head sound better with some use but it match their description (single ply with inner muffling ring). I must say satin finish texture coated head are hard to rival, they sound so good.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Aquarian is the sh*t!!!!!
I had always used Remo. And on my Peace kits, Clear Pinstripes sounded best for live rock drumming, and for other styles, or in the studio I used Evans' G2 Coateds.

But I slapped Aquarians on last month, and found what I always wanted! The heads tune themselves!!!! It's stupid easy to get the right sound. I used to spend like 20 min. trying to tune my 16" floor toms, The Aquarian heads tune up just the way I want them in seconds!

Right now I am playing with Studio-X heads on the toms, but I they are like one time use, I need something 2 ply. On my snare I use the High Performance heads for rock, teaxture coateds w/power dot for everything else, and regular teaxture coateds for brush work

Oh, and Super Kick II's best bass drum heads! NO pillow or any other muffling's needed!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

I agree. I have tried the studio x heads but they didn't last very long. I have been using the performance 2's for about 3 months now and I really like them. They are tough. They are suited for loose tuning but I can get great sounds with them either low, mid or even in the high range.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

performance two's are deader than Pinstripes..
Old 01-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
Aquarian is the sh*t!!!!!
I had always used Remo. And on my Peace kits, Clear Pinstripes sounded best for live rock drumming, and for other styles, or in the studio I used Evans' G2 Coateds.

But I slapped Aquarians on last month, and found what I always wanted! The heads tune themselves!!!! It's stupid easy to get the right sound. I used to spend like 20 min. trying to tune my 16" floor toms, The Aquarian heads tune up just the way I want them in seconds!

Right now I am playing with Studio-X heads on the toms, but I they are like one time use, I need something 2 ply. On my snare I use the High Performance heads for rock, teaxture coateds w/power dot for everything else, and regular teaxture coateds for brush work

Oh, and Super Kick II's best bass drum heads! NO pillow or any other muffling's needed!!!
That's what I told you !

Now work your way to an endorsement deal :-)

P.S. For two ply, you should try their new Super-2

AQUARIAN IS ALL ABOUT THE TAP TEST

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-06-2007, 06:30 AM
Gold Member

evans ec2s are the only heads out that led me astray from aquarian. they sound very

similar to studio x's but are definitely more durable. but here recently i've also lightened

my touch up quite a bit, so i'm not hesitant to go back. aquarian is a great company, no

doubt about it. what's the deal with new super 2s?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofriendlyunitshifter View Post
evans ec2s are the only heads out that led me astray from aquarian. they sound very

similar to studio x's but are definitely more durable. but here recently i've also lightened

my touch up quite a bit, so i'm not hesitant to go back. aquarian is a great company, no

doubt about it. what's the deal with new super 2s?
Two different weight ply, the first ply is 5 mil and the second one is 7 mil while the Response II are two 7 mil ply... What Roy Burns explained is these heads offer better tone and more resonance without sacrifying attack.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-06-2007, 05:07 PM

Oh yea and Aquarian 2 plys dont separate like Remo and evans. Thats a plus right there!
Old 01-07-2007, 01:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjian 242 View Post
Oh yea and Aquarian 2 plys dont separate like Remo and evans. Thats a plus right there!
You got that right! This is why I gave up on Remo. I haven't used Evans so I cant comment on them but yeah, I have had way too many problems with the 2 ply Remo's. I have never had a problem with Aqaurian. Their heads are pefectly consistant.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:59 AM

For the record, my school (Pearl EX 12,13,16 power toms) uses Studio X's on their kit and they last every year, and they definitely get a lot of wear. That's what I was thinking of using on my kit, but what would I use (from Aquarian) to improve durability while still getting that kind of sound?
Old 01-08-2007, 06:48 PM

Super II with ring?

But honestly if you'r putting dents or wearing out heads fast your set up is messed up or you need to improve technique
Old 01-12-2007, 05:58 AM

OK i just got Super-2s on the 12,13 and 16 toms (all of them) on my kit. They sound awesome! It is the perfect sound that I was looking for. Aquarian has consistently been the best heads that I have used. I have some modern vintage on the way for my jazz kit and I can't wait.

Aquarian>Remo>Evans
Old 01-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Now work your way to an endorsement deal :-)
Got it :)

I'll be trying out some of the 2 ply heads after NAMM.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Got it :)

I'll be trying out some of the 2 ply heads after NAMM.
Does it mean you got an endorsement deal with them !

If its the case then it's great and congratulation !

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-14-2007, 06:48 AM

Playing on my Studio X's for a few months now and they've held up great?? I don't play thrash metal but i do hit relatively hard and not had any problems. THey tune great and hold tune. I may try the Super 2's on my Peace DNA next...or the EC2's...

Suggestions Massoni???
Old 01-15-2007, 03:29 AM
Gold Member

Yeah I got a deal with them, and I have loved every head I have tried out. My first order of heads was just what I have come to love playing on over the years, but I mixed it up a bit on the second order, trying some new things out. I'll need to call up again after namm. I'm going to try out the Super 2's and Performance 2's next.

As far as suggestions for a Peace D-N-A kit...
I would go with a Texture Coated Response 2 or Clear Performance 2.
For a snare I would do up a Texture Coated with a Power Dot. I use that head for any gigs other than heavy rock or when I have to use brushes.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah I got a deal with them, and I have loved every head I have tried out. My first order of heads was just what I have come to love playing on over the years, but I mixed it up a bit on the second order, trying some new things out. I'll need to call up again after namm. I'm going to try out the Super 2's and Performance 2's next.

As far as suggestions for a Peace D-N-A kit...
I would go with a Texture Coated Response 2 or Clear Performance 2.
For a snare I would do up a Texture Coated with a Power Dot. I use that head for any gigs other than heavy rock or when I have to use brushes.
Then again congrats Nick, you should update your web site , be cause you're saying you're not endorsing them ????

Have you, tried the focus-x on snare ? I had my doubt first but I fitted one on my cheap steel snare and I must admit, I very suprised by the response I get from it. The vented muffling ring does it job but not muffling too much. If you have a peace bronze/brass/steel snare, I'm inviting you to give them a try, it worth it, should be could for you "hard rockin" gigs.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-15-2007, 06:20 AM
Gold Member

Oops! I was supposed to say I am "now" endorsing... I went back and fixed it though, thanx.

For hard rock gigs I have been using the Hi-Energy heads. One of my students recomended them. For brush work I go with just a regular Texture Coated, but I sand it down with sandpaper a little. And for everything else it's Texture Coadted with a Power Dot.

I always need that Power Dot, heads don't last me more than one show with out it.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:12 AM
Pioneer Member

Aquarian heads are alright. Mine dented easily but that's because of my tom angle. The coating stays on longer than remo, but I will only use coated aquarian heads. I have a studio x with a power dot and I hate that head so much! Coated for me now. Try them out man, you may like them alot.