DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-14-2007, 07:03 AM
anson89's Avatar
anson89 anson89 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sabah, Malaysia and Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 155
Default Mac Vs PC

I need some help here. I'm thinking to get a Macbook Pro but the thing from stopping me is the price and I don't know if it's gonna last me for long time since Apple is always coming out with new products, and I hate changing computers all the time. Reason for changing, I need something for music, video and photo editing, better gaming, faster laptop, longer battery life, something stable. I need some advices.

I'm thinking to get the 2.33GHz one, but after comparing it to the 2.16Ghz one, the price is such a big difference. Both comes with 2GB RAM, X1600 256MB graphics card, 120GB HD. I'm using a 17" laptop with 80GB HD, 1GB RAM and a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 processor and sometimes I get pissed off cause it heats up so fast, it slows down sometimes and the battery life sucks! So guys any comments? Should I get a Mac?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-14-2007, 07:13 AM
KzSgDrummer's Avatar
KzSgDrummer KzSgDrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 510
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

I'm pretty neutral between the two. I've had my PowerBook for 2 years now while I've been around PCs for a dozen, and I can see the benefits to both. The Mac is great for media-intensive processes and will never crap out on you (although XP Pro has been just as reliable), but there are SO MANY more programs available for the PC out there, especially as far as free internet software goes, that when you go back to the Mac you feel constricted. I really can't say one way or another, but I will say that I'm a visual kind of guy and the OS X interface is nothing short of gorgeous.
__________________
Gentlemen Hall
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-14-2007, 03:02 PM
d.c.drummer's Avatar
d.c.drummer d.c.drummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,568
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Go for the Mac!

1. Macs are VERY uprgradable. My dad, who is a research scientist ad NIH, has had his for about 9 years and it performs like it rolled off the line yesterday. (it has a Y2K compatible sticker on it.. lol) Try that w/ a PC.
2.Macs are more compact and have more features, such as iSight (i know there are some pc imitators out there) and to finger scrolling. The graphics and gaming are incredible.
3. For a drummer like you macs are a great choice. Bright display with built-in MIDI capabilities and Garage Band. When is the last time you saw a guy at a clinic toting a pc?
4. They look better ;-).

Also now that Mac can be FULLY compatible with ALL programs, the restriction issues aren't valid anymore. Plus i never feel restricted because most of the good programs for geeks like me are on mac anyway.

And if you cant spring for the MacPro, get the iBook. Its a great computer too.
__________________
Take a look at my new stuff. http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25183
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-14-2007, 10:58 PM
DogBreath's Avatar
DogBreath DogBreath is offline
Administrator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,243
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.c.drummer View Post
Also now that Mac can be FULLY compatible with ALL programs, the restriction issues aren't valid anymore. Plus i never feel restricted because most of the good programs for geeks like me are on mac anyway.
I was looking at a government website yesterday and there was a message that said basically that to use the interactive parts of the site, turn off pop-up blockers and use a PC rather than a Mac. And of course we've all been in the computer stores with aisles and aisles of software titles, and one little Mac "ghetto" with twenty titles crammed onto one shelf. Sure Macs are much more compatible with Windows programs these days, but one can just as easily make the argument that Windows-based PCs are more able to do things that only Macs used to be able to do.

I know that wasn't the original question of this thread. Plus our favorite website was created on a Mac. I'm not at all a Mac hater. Maybe just lazy? lol
__________________
.
My kit: Pacific wood, Evans oil, Zildjian bronze
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2007, 01:07 AM
MECHT4NK's Avatar
MECHT4NK MECHT4NK is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 334
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.c.drummer View Post
Also now that Mac can be FULLY compatible with ALL programs
Mac can't be compatible with all programs. there is no DirectX for Mac so the majority of games can not run on a Mac and for the same reason gaming on a Mac can never be incredible.

in answer to the question I would like to add that if you could miss the extra money you could go for the Mac, I personally think they do quite a nice job on the laptops because they have years of experience in offering complete systems (which after all laptops still are in comparison to PC's which you can assemble any way you like). I don't think you should expect the Mac to deliver better performance. also if you're already complain about temperatures of your PC laptop I think you should know that the biggest problem about the MacBook pro is probably that it gets really hot.

Last edited by MECHT4NK; 01-15-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-15-2007, 02:04 AM
d.c.drummer's Avatar
d.c.drummer d.c.drummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,568
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MECHT4NK View Post
Mac can't be compatible with all programs. there is no DirectX for Mac so the majority of games can not run on a Mac and for the same reason gaming on a Mac can never be incredible.
.
Actually, the rumors are true. http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/virtualpc/
__________________
Take a look at my new stuff. http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25183
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-15-2007, 03:04 AM
MECHT4NK's Avatar
MECHT4NK MECHT4NK is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 334
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

that's emulation and doesn't make sense to me, why first spend extra money on a Mac and then emulate a PC on it (which will decrease performance) when you could have got a PC for less?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2007, 03:45 AM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

I heard that Mac's hardly get any viruses? Is it true that most viruses are created for windows like 98% or is this BS? Because for all the anti spyware, and anti virus software you need to have for a PC nowadays a mac may actually be the same price in the long run.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-15-2007, 04:00 AM
Tama Player's Avatar
Tama Player Tama Player is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina
Posts: 698
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Yes that is BS, Macs CAN get viruses, but defintley not as many as a PC could. Macs are sometimes more expensive than PC's and they have to be updated consistanty. I do not like to use Macs as I am Windows certified. PC's are coming out with some new software I am not able to share with you at the moment, but I can say that PC's in the next year are going to be WAY better than a Mac (I have connections with Windows). Dont get me wrong, Macs are a very useful instrument and be helpful in many ways. I just do not prefer to use them, as DB said, not a Mac hater nor am I a lover of them.

Peace
AGR
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-15-2007, 05:42 AM
wnameth's Avatar
wnameth wnameth is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamilton (ON)
Posts: 497
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
Yes that is BS, Macs CAN get viruses, but defintley not as many as a PC could. Macs are sometimes more expensive than PC's and they have to be updated consistanty. I do not like to use Macs as I am Windows certified. PC's are coming out with some new software I am not able to share with you at the moment, but I can say that PC's in the next year are going to be WAY better than a Mac (I have connections with Windows). Dont get me wrong, Macs are a very useful instrument and be helpful in many ways. I just do not prefer to use them, as DB said, not a Mac hater nor am I a lover of them.

Peace
AGR
okay, THAT is BS, i worked in an apple store as a technician, SHOW me a virus, there has never been an actual virus for a mac, there was one trojan, that had to be opened in an email a while back. you are wrong again. My mom is using a 7 year old mac, it burns dvds, she uses it for email, internet Microsoft Office, among other things. so no, you are wrong. honestly, macs are amazing for everything. GO with the mac anson89
__________________
CALL THE CAVALRY!
www.myspace.com/callthecavalry
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-15-2007, 06:24 AM
DogBreath's Avatar
DogBreath DogBreath is offline
Administrator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,243
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnameth View Post
i worked in an apple store as a technician, SHOW me a virus, there has never been an actual virus for a mac
Really? Why do you suppose there are so many antivirus programs for Macs if there has never been a virus for a Mac? There's the OSX/Inqtana.A worm, the Leap.A virus, the System 6 virus, the Autostart worm, the Code 252 virus, the CDEF virus, plus registration code vulnerabilities, ID3 tag exploits, integer overflow exploits, etc. Just take a look at sites like macvirus.org or securemac.com.
__________________
.
My kit: Pacific wood, Evans oil, Zildjian bronze
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-15-2007, 02:35 PM
MECHT4NK's Avatar
MECHT4NK MECHT4NK is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 334
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

a virus is just a piece of software just like any other, the only difference really is that it does things you don't wan't like destroying stuff on your computer or making it unable to use it properly. so why wouldn't there be any virusses for mac? and also mac can run Java applications so it's even really easy to write a virus for a mac.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Tom B. Tom B. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Outside of Philadelphia (Go Flyers), Pennsylvania
Posts: 99
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnameth View Post
okay, THAT is BS, i worked in an apple store as a technician, SHOW me a virus, there has never been an actual virus for a mac, there was one trojan, that had to be opened in an email a while back. you are wrong again. My mom is using a 7 year old mac, it burns dvds, she uses it for email, internet Microsoft Office, among other things. so no, you are wrong. honestly, macs are amazing for everything. GO with the mac anson89
I'd take into consideration that this guy works for apple, of course he's gonna say good things about them...
__________________
ROCK AND ROLL AIN'T NOISE POLLUTION

Zildjian Vic Firth Evans Rogers Tama
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Tama Player's Avatar
Tama Player Tama Player is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina
Posts: 698
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnameth View Post
okay, THAT is BS, i worked in an apple store as a technician, SHOW me a virus, there has never been an actual virus for a mac, there was one trojan, that had to be opened in an email a while back. you are wrong again. My mom is using a 7 year old mac, it burns dvds, she uses it for email, internet Microsoft Office, among other things. so no, you are wrong. honestly, macs are amazing for everything. GO with the mac anson89
Well, just think about it. Were there viruses for the first "advanced" computers? No, it took a little while before the viruses and other computer disruptors came along. But with Macs, they havent been out to long and trojans and some spyware along with malware is already starting to pop-up. Now think about THAT, stuff is ALREADY coming out even more through which means Macs will probably end up even worse than a PC would. Yes, PC's can get numerous viruses, ok , yes we got that now, There is not a virus, per say. There is already one( that of which I know of) and more in the making. Just like dog Breath said, why would they have all of the anti-spyware applivations along with anti-VIRUS software if the is NO viruses? Why would they have this if there is no viruses? What about this? Look at the left in the blue box with all of the links. Look at ALL of those protection software. Now tell me there isnt a virus without being a smart-allic?

Peace
AGR
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-15-2007, 05:01 PM
d.c.drummer's Avatar
d.c.drummer d.c.drummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,568
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
Yes that is BS, Macs CAN get viruses, but defintley not as many as a PC could. Macs are sometimes more expensive than PC's and they have to be updated consistanty. I do not like to use Macs as I am Windows certified. PC's are coming out with some new software I am not able to share with you at the moment, but I can say that PC's in the next year are going to be WAY better than a Mac (I have connections with Windows). Dont get me wrong, Macs are a very useful instrument and be helpful in many ways. I just do not prefer to use them, as DB said, not a Mac hater nor am I a lover of them.

Peace
AGR
WHAT? Number 1, macs dont get viruses. I have never come across a mac virus in my 7 years using Mac. Every year or two a malware comes out which is easily remedied and not easliy introduced or spread. Macs are built from the ground up to resist viruses. They dont downaoad and run things automatically and the code it is built on is much more secure.

Number 2, PCs aren't going to better than macs anytime in the near future. PCs are trying to look like macs and Microsoft is revamping its entire operating system to emulate mac features but, it will never be better. Vista is a joke becasue Microsoft computers are going to crashing left and right trying to run mac like features. By the time you upgrade your computer enough to be able to run Vista properly, you might as well get a mac (which are not that expensive anymore) and get the real thing.

Number 3- macs dont need constant costly upgrading. like i said before, in 9 years my dad has only put about 400 dollars into his computer and good chunk of that was adding more hardrive room.
__________________
Take a look at my new stuff. http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25183

Last edited by d.c.drummer; 01-15-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Tama Player's Avatar
Tama Player Tama Player is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina
Posts: 698
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.c.drummer View Post
WHAT? Number 1, macs dont get viruses. Number 2, PCs aren't going to better than macs anytime in the near future. PCs are trying to look like macs and Microsoft is revamping its entire operating system to emulate mac features but, it will never be better. Vista is a joke becasue Microsoft computers are going to crashing left and right tryning to run mac like features. By the time you upgrade your computer enough to be able to run Vista properly, you might as well get a mac (which are not that expensive anymore) and get the real thing.
Well, Number 1, Read my 2nd post. Number 2., Yes PC's ARE going to get WAY better than Macs. Microsoft IS NOT trying to emulate Mac whatsoever. They dont need to alter there operating system. I really wish I could tell you what they were doing because you wouldnt say half the things you are saying. When you upgrade, I automatically think MAC, do you know why? They need to be updated frequently as I have mentioned before.
Trust me, I used to love Macs, but now since I have found out what windows are doing, not anymore.

Peace
AGR
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-15-2007, 05:33 PM
d.c.drummer's Avatar
d.c.drummer d.c.drummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,568
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MECHT4NK View Post
that's emulation and doesn't make sense to me, why first spend extra money on a Mac and then emulate a PC on it (which will decrease performance) when you could have got a PC for less?
because mac apps such as iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, Gargage Band, Time Machine and a host of other apps are better than thier pc counterparts.

And, if you price a mac and a pc to the same specs, macs are cheaper. (try it yourself)
__________________
Take a look at my new stuff. http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25183
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-15-2007, 05:43 PM
wnameth's Avatar
wnameth wnameth is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamilton (ON)
Posts: 497
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

i don't know what you guys are talking about. I HAVE never got a virus on a mac, i have never heard of anyone who has, being a technician for a windows or PC store would say different, thats why there always fixing VIRUS filled PC's. it is because the OS is built well. Windows is horrible. Tiger has things such as expose' and hot corners. and now with Leaopord on the way, we will see amazing things. VISTA is a straight up copy of Tiger, like the widgets and all were copied. and about the mac OS having virus protection software, it's just windows based software companies trying to take advantage of people who are new to mac. WHen i was in retail for apple, i never once told someone to buy Norton ANTI-virus. It is simply not needed. i do however respect microsoft for the 360 as that is the only Microsoft product along with Office: mac that i use. Lets see, Logic is amazing, Final Cut Pro HD kills that adobe crap for windows, and when you buy a mac you get ilife 06 which is just amazing. iPhoto, there is nothing like it for windows.

please show me where i can get a virus for a mac without opening a file then typing in my system password. You see thats the difference between windows and mac, a mac is smart, and is built in a UNIX based oporating system. And i do not work for them anymore, so no this isn't just because I work there. I download torrents, and i've never gotten a virus, i have movies and over 5000 songs in my itunse with no problems, it works with every thing. never had any problems in the last 4 years with any of the macs in our house.

-Wes
__________________
CALL THE CAVALRY!
www.myspace.com/callthecavalry

Last edited by wnameth; 01-15-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Tama Player's Avatar
Tama Player Tama Player is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina
Posts: 698
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.c.drummer View Post
because mac apps such as iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, Gargage Band, Time Machine and a host of other apps are better than thier pc counterparts.

And, if you price a mac and a pc to the same specs, macs are cheaper. (try it yourself)
What you are saying is partially true. But PC's are now becoming more advanced. New programs such as Propeller Head 4 will be coming out for PC's soon. Thats the program I cant wait for, its supposed to be the best mixer program on the market (it better be its a 500$ program!), WAY better than 3. This program will not be compatible with Macs though. I called the guy from Windows and I have permission to say a little more about what they are doing. They are actually going to completely alter the Windows program and it will be better. They are NOT however, going to change the opperating system though. I checked and made sure. They are making the new Windows completely fresh and brand new, free of all viruses that only will effect the old Windows. Thats all I am able to tell you right now, but you will hear more about this in the near future.

Peace
AGR
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Tama Player's Avatar
Tama Player Tama Player is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina
Posts: 698
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnameth View Post
i don't know what you guys are talking about. I HAVE never got a virus on a mac, i have never heard of anyone. it is because the OS is built well. Windows is horrible. Tiger has things such as expose' and hot corners. and now with Leaopord on the way, we will see amazing things. VISTA is a straight up copy of Tiger, like the widgets and all were copied. and about the mac OS having virus protection software, it's just windows based software companies trying to take advantage of people who are new to mac. WHen i was in retail for apple, i never once told someone to buy Norton ANTI-virus. It is simply not needed. i do however respect microsoft for the 360 as that is the only Microsoft product along with Office: mac that i use. Lets see, Logic is amazing, Final Cut Pro HD kills that adobe crap for windows, and when you buy a mac you get ilife 06 which is just amazing. iPhoto, there is nothing like it for windows.

please show me where i can get a virus for a mac without opening a file then typing in my system password. You see thats the difference between windows and mac, a mac is smart, and is built in a UNIX based oporating system. And i do not work for them anymore, so no this isn't just because I work there. I download torrents, and i've never gotten a virus, i have movies and over 5000 songs in my itunse with no problems, it works with every thing. never had any problems in the last 4 years with any of the macs in our house.

-Wes
All I have to say is wait a couple more years and see whats going to happen. Just wait....

Peace
AGR
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-15-2007, 06:07 PM
wnameth's Avatar
wnameth wnameth is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamilton (ON)
Posts: 497
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
All I have to say is wait a couple more years and see whats going to happen. Just wait....

Peace
AGR
hahaha, wait a couple years for apple. they both run on the same processors now, YOU CAN RUN WINDOWS XP fully on a mac, and boot between them, HOW CAN a PC be better, i have windows XP pro on my mac mini, but i don't really use it that often. it's there if i need it, i also stream everything from my computer to my 360, so all my music/etc.

I don't get why someone would buy a PC because they think macs can't use all the windows crappy programs? you can run windows and i am yet to find something i can do on windows that i can't on a mac, go the other way, there is so much a mac can do that windows cannot. and mac MAKES their own HARDWARE. pc you have to buy crappy dell hardware which is ugly as hell. i'm not trying to fight with anyone on this, it just pisses me off that some of you are arguing without knowing all the facts. and ya, tamaplayer, i am sure PC is gonna be better in a few years, but now, there about 4 years behind mac and in 2 more they will be what a year or so behind, and hey, if there so good, i can just run it on my MAC? so i think a mac is a win win situation.

-END RANT.

-Wes
__________________
CALL THE CAVALRY!
www.myspace.com/callthecavalry
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Tama Player's Avatar
Tama Player Tama Player is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina
Posts: 698
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnameth View Post
hahaha, wait a couple years for apple. they both run on the same processors now, YOU CAN RUN WINDOWS XP fully on a mac, and boot between them, HOW CAN a PC be better, i have windows XP pro on my mac mini, but i don't really use it that often. it's there if i need it, i also stream everything from my computer to my 360, so all my music/etc.

I don't get why someone would buy a PC because they think macs can't use all the windows crappy programs? you can run windows and i am yet to find something i can do on windows that i can't on a mac, go the other way, there is so much a mac can do that windows cannot. and mac MAKES their own HARDWARE. pc you have to buy crappy dell hardware which is ugly as hell. i'm not trying to fight with anyone on this, it just pisses me off that some of you are arguing without knowing all the facts. and ya, tamaplayer, i am sure PC is gonna be better in a few years, but now, there about 4 years behind mac and in 2 more they will be what a year or so behind, and hey, if there so good, i can just run it on my MAC? so i think a mac is a win win situation.

-END RANT.

-Wes
I dont think you understand whats going to happen. Macs are not as GREAT as you put them up to be. Who says you have to buy a Dell? Have you even walked into a best buy recently and looked at the compter section. I think not. Look at this. You see that, now look at the price, SOLD OUT. Its only 364.99$. Ok, now lets look at a Mac. here. Yeah, sure its a little better. Somemore GB's but look at that price tag. 2,400$. Now I would not ever spend that much money on a fricken CPU. No monitor, no keyboard, the CPU. Well, your gonna say, " well its only more expensive because its better" Well, ok Im gonna reply to that before I give you that chance, wnameth. That thing is worth at MOSt 1200$ not 2400$. It may have some more features and all that jazz, but not 2400$ worth.

When you say that Windows is four years behind, you are mistaken my friend. How can you prove to me there behind 4 years. Other than the fact you think all the programs are better then PC's. Please, tell me.

Peace
AGR
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Afrolicious's Avatar
Afrolicious Afrolicious is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Frankfurt a. M. / Germany
Posts: 315
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

I had to make the same decision some weeks ago.
I almost bought a Macbook Pro, but then I found the ASUS A8JS. A Macbook Pro with the same power would cost about 2500$ and the ASUS Laptop was 1600, it has a built in camera, is slightly smaller (I wanted a laptop that was I could actually lug around), has a better graphics card than every macbook out there, 120 GB and well, as I already said, same or even more power (especially for gaming due to the better graphics card) for less money.
If you were going for a 17' (since the Asus is a 14.4' widescreen) I'd recommend the Toshiba Sattelite P100 series. Those with the Geforce Go 7900 eat Macbooks for breakfast concerning gaming power and can easily cope with the "working power" of Macbook Pros for far less money.
Of course, If you're a fan of MAC you'll prefer all those special gimmicks and the software and what not, but in the end PC and MAC aren't that different and it's a matter of taste, if you're rational, don't pay for the name or the design, pay for the power you need.
__________________
John Lemon
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

As a recently converted Mac user, all I can say is that in the last two months, I've had ONE software crash and that was MSN, written by, guess who, Microsoft. I could run Windows if I wanted to, and the actual specs of the Mac become irrelevant when compared with Windows based systems because they Windows architecture is built on bottlenecks. I could have a 2.8 Ghz PC with Windows and it wouldn't outperform my new 2.0 Ghz iMac, even with the same 1 GB of RAM. I'm also an ex-Linux user, and the Linux I ran (Ubuntu) was easily twice as fast as the Windows XP I had on the dual boot system. Specs are utterly irrelevant.

And guess what? If I wanted to, I could put Windows on here with absolutely no problems. My girlfriend recently bought a MacBook, it outperforms her family's Windows Laptops despite having a technically lower spec, after three months their laptops were crashing all over the place, left right and centre, after a month on her MacBook, there hasn't been a SINGLE crash. Not one. Nada. Not even a software crash, let alone the full hardware crashes she was constantly getting on the Windows Laptops.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-15-2007, 08:12 PM
murphinelli murphinelli is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 426
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

The old Mac vs. PC discussion. There was a much stronger debate on this when Windows first came out. Back then, tons more Mac users than today. I had a Mac back when they had 40M hard drives...That was about 1990ish. I bought my first PC from Dell about 10yrs ago. Never had a single problem with it. Never go a virus. Never had it crash. About 5yrs ago I upgraded with another PC from Dell. Still...Never got a virus...Never had it crash. When I say crash, I mean loose the hard drive. I've had it lock up on me, but never have lost anything....On either PC. 2 years ago, got a PC laptop from Dell. Never got a virus...Never had it crash...

In the work world...very, very few people use Macs. I've worked for companies with 15 people and 15,000 people. Both use PCs. You may find the rare Mac here and there, but for the most part PCs dominate. Better support, better applications, lower cost.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Tama Player's Avatar
Tama Player Tama Player is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina
Posts: 698
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphinelli View Post
The old Mac vs. PC discussion. There was a much stronger debate on this when Windows first came out. Back then, tons more Mac users than today. I had a Mac back when they had 40M hard drives...That was about 1990ish. I bought my first PC from Dell about 10yrs ago. Never had a single problem with it. Never go a virus. Never had it crash. About 5yrs ago I upgraded with another PC from Dell. Still...Never got a virus...Never had it crash. When I say crash, I mean loose the hard drive. I've had it lock up on me, but never have lost anything....On either PC. 2 years ago, got a PC laptop from Dell. Never got a virus...Never had it crash...

In the work world...very, very few people use Macs. I've worked for companies with 15 people and 15,000 people. Both use PCs. You may find the rare Mac here and there, but for the most part PCs dominate. Better support, better applications, lower cost.
You couldnt of said it better murph!

Peace
AGR
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-15-2007, 08:17 PM
wnameth's Avatar
wnameth wnameth is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamilton (ON)
Posts: 497
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
As a recently converted Mac user, all I can say is that in the last two months, I've had ONE software crash and that was MSN, written by, guess who, Microsoft. I could run Windows if I wanted to, and the actual specs of the Mac become irrelevant when compared with Windows based systems because they Windows architecture is built on bottlenecks. I could have a 2.8 Ghz PC with Windows and it wouldn't outperform my new 2.0 Ghz iMac, even with the same 1 GB of RAM. I'm also an ex-Linux user, and the Linux I ran (Ubuntu) was easily twice as fast as the Windows XP I had on the dual boot system. Specs are utterly irrelevant.

And guess what? If I wanted to, I could put Windows on here with absolutely no problems. My girlfriend recently bought a MacBook, it outperforms her family's Windows Laptops despite having a technically lower spec, after three months their laptops were crashing all over the place, left right and centre, after a month on her MacBook, there hasn't been a SINGLE crash. Not one. Nada. Not even a software crash, let alone the full hardware crashes she was constantly getting on the Windows Laptops.
Thank YOU. TAMA player doesn't seem to get the dual boot feature. you either love it or you hate it. alot of ppl love to hate it because there ignorant. i used to say mac sucks bla bla bla. but then i really got to use them for Photoshop and final cut pro and just the beauty and ease of use. wow. i love them and WILL never go back. and if tamaplayer is talking about vista being advanced think again. everything in vista is taken off of tiger by the time that is in full tilt mac will be 2 OS's Ahead! i'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but you are comparing a great very durable and nice looking mac to a cheap PC. you have to realize when a company makes there own hardware they DO IT RIGHT> laptops/desktops made by dell, acer or even sony don't come close. and yes like MFB stated, specs are completely different, because the software designers can utilize the hardware well. windows does not, my 1.5GHZ core solo mini will blow a 2ghz PC outta the water.

-Wes
__________________
CALL THE CAVALRY!
www.myspace.com/callthecavalry
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Basically, as far as I see it, PC's have to have a fair amount extra in terms of specs to actually outperform like-for-like tasks (like startup and shutdown, especially startup) over their Mac counterparts. My iMac is working within twenty seconds of pressing the power button and when I say working, I don't mean the initial ten second Windows 'freeze' whilst it's bastardising your system, I mean actually being able to run it fully as if it had already been running for half an hour. Open programmes, anything. It just works.

And Murph, you've had no problems with your Dell Laptop, that's fine. You probably have a vague semblance of what you're actually doing with the security, and how not to get viruses. The simple fact of the matter is that if you put a 'naive' user on a Windows PC and a Mac, it's obvious who'll have most viruses and crashes the quickest.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Tama Player's Avatar
Tama Player Tama Player is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina
Posts: 698
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Basically, as far as I see it, PC's have to have a fair amount extra in terms of specs to actually outperform like-for-like tasks (like startup and shutdown, especially startup) over their Mac counterparts. My iMac is working within twenty seconds of pressing the power button and when I say working, I don't mean the initial ten second Windows 'freeze' whilst it's bastardising your system, I mean actually being able to run it fully as if it had already been running for half an hour. Open programmes, anything. It just works.

And Murph, you've had no problems with your Dell Laptop, that's fine. You probably have a vague semblance of what you're actually doing with the security, and how not to get viruses. The simple fact of the matter is that if you put a 'naive' user on a Windows PC and a Mac, it's obvious who'll have most viruses and crashes the quickest.
I do see your point there MFB, BUT. If have the right systems and settings on your PC, then of course its going to open in 20 seconds. When I first got my computer as soon as it started I changed all of my settings in the bios and in the control panel. Its alot more complicated then most people think. You are right, a new mac user would do better on a mac rather than a PC, but if you are expeienced then a PC opens up worlds of things. A mac however, does not give so many options as to which how you would like your computer to run. I really dont have that big of a problem with macs, really. I just do not intend to use them. Maybe in the future I may buy one, but nothing in the NEAR future.

Murph probably has some expierence with computers, thats why he hasnt had problems with his. My computer has not ever crashed, froze or has gotten on a 100% full CPU usage which I use the Task Manager to monitor. Theres just so many ways we could go on and on about this. I believe I have made my point and I believe that the Mac users have too.

Peace
AGR
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-15-2007, 08:55 PM
wnameth's Avatar
wnameth wnameth is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamilton (ON)
Posts: 497
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
I do see your point there MFB, BUT. If have the right systems and settings on your PC, then of course its going to open in 20 seconds. When I first got my computer as soon as it started I changed all of my settings in the bios and in the control panel. Its alot more complicated then most people think. You are right, a new mac user would do better on a mac rather than a PC, but if you are expeienced then a PC opens up worlds of things. A mac however, does not give so many options as to which how you would like your computer to run. I really dont have that big of a problem with macs, really. I just do not intend to use them. Maybe in the future I may buy one, but nothing in the NEAR future.

Murph probably has some expierence with computers, thats why he hasnt had problems with his. My computer has not ever crashed, froze or has gotten on a 100% full CPU usage which I use the Task Manager to monitor. Theres just so many ways we could go on and on about this. I believe I have made my point and I believe that the Mac users have too.

Peace
AGR
agreed, no hard feelings.
__________________
CALL THE CAVALRY!
www.myspace.com/callthecavalry
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Good good good, now we're getting to an understanding.

My only point would be that now the Mac user has all the options that a Windows user used to have and still does, because Macs can basically run other OS's. If I wanted to run Windows, I could run Windows and I could easily play something as a PC gamer if I wanted to. The fact that I do not choose to does not mean that I can't. It would be interesting to see what would happen if companies actually bothered setting up their BIOS settings correctly. It really would. I know a lot of the computers I see are poorly set up and as a result run slowly. I also believe that the Windows architecture wastes a lot of your system potential, which the Apple computers fully utilise. Really, this is not a PC/Mac debate, it's an OS/X/Windows XP (Vista) debate and I know which I prefer. In fact, if I ran a PC, I'd run Linux anyway, I never wish to run Windows again after my ten years of Windows drudgery and another four with DOS 6.0 and 5.0 as a toddler.

Of course owning a PC has advantages, like basically unlimited hardware options, but if you want to buy a computer as a computer and not customise (as about 85%-90% of the market buy whole computers) then Macs have numerous advantages to badly-built and setup PCs.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-15-2007, 08:57 PM
murphinelli murphinelli is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 426
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

My PC is up most of the time. So, I don't care about boot up and shutdown.

My laptop does get booted up and shutdown more often. Yes, it takes a while. But compared to the 10 minutes I used to wait back in the old days...I can suffer.

Agree, for the novice user...security is less of an issue on a Mac. That will probably always be true...PC users need to get educated on this. It's only going to get worse....lot's of bad people out there....:-(

I'm sure a Mac has better specs on some programs (maybe even many) compared with a "comparable" PC. But at this point, PC's and Mac's are so damn fast....It shouldn't make a difference. If there is one program you really want/need to use and they only make it for the Mac....I'd research and try to find something close on the PC. I would not recommend buying a Mac based on the desire to run 1 or 2 specific programs...

Anyways, that's my $0.05,
Peace Out,
Murph
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Tama Player's Avatar
Tama Player Tama Player is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina
Posts: 698
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnameth View Post
Thank YOU. TAMA player doesn't seem to get the dual boot feature. you either love it or you hate it. alot of ppl love to hate it because there ignorant. i used to say mac sucks bla bla bla. but then i really got to use them for Photoshop and final cut pro and just the beauty and ease of use. wow. i love them and WILL never go back. and if tamaplayer is talking about vista being advanced think again. everything in vista is taken off of tiger by the time that is in full tilt mac will be 2 OS's Ahead! i'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but you are comparing a great very durable and nice looking mac to a cheap PC. you have to realize when a company makes there own hardware they DO IT RIGHT> laptops/desktops made by dell, acer or even sony don't come close. and yes like MFB stated, specs are completely different, because the software designers can utilize the hardware well. windows does not, my 1.5GHZ core solo mini will blow a 2ghz PC outta the water.

-Wes
First off, do not tell me I dont understand anything about the dual boot feature.You may be able to do that and thats great.But why would you use a PC program on a mac? According to you all of PC's programs suck. Right? Well then why would you want to use crappy windows on your precious Mac?? I do understand however that you LOVE macs and just absolutley hate PC's. Well, then since your saying your not being a dick here you sure are acting like one. Yes, we all know that the Vista was ripped off from the Tiger. So what! Who really cares. And if your calling me ignorant than your the one who doesnt know ANYTHING about PC's apparently because all you do is rip on them and constantly find some kind of random, stupid point about them. Now then, if we could just stop fighting or "debating" this, that would be great. We are probably not going to change anyones mind, so can we agree to disagree?

Peace
AGR
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Quadruple Groove's Avatar
Quadruple Groove Quadruple Groove is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Estonia
Posts: 123
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Hmm...I've had 3 PC's in my life.
First was a 386, second was a 266mhz PII and this one is a 2.0 ghz Celeron, 228RAM, 32mb video.
Ya we're not the richest family in the world haha.
Well anyway, with this computer I've lost the HD twice due to various OS-inflicted bugs, never had a virus that actually did anything to my system. You know, its nice and convinient but the HD lockdowns really irritate me haha, I contemplated installing debian or something of that sort but thinking about the rest of my fam. who arent quite at home with computers, I chose not to.

Anyway, I'd like to start recording drumss soon and I hear Mac is the way to go in that sense. REally, Ive seen a lot of very high spec PCs performing worse than my computer (2gb RAM, 512video??, 3.4ghz - according to windows..) and it makes me a little cautious about buying another PC.

Also, I hear that the PC architecture is very inefficient compared to Macs, then again Macs are rediculously expensive.
Other thing is that...PC parts are manufacture in a bazillion different locations and theres a million different companies making the parts, while MAC has specific products, macbook, macbook pro etc.

Bottom line thoe, for multitrack recording, which is better? d;
I think MAc. You?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-15-2007, 09:08 PM
murphinelli murphinelli is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 426
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Really, this is not a PC/Mac debate, it's an OS/X/Windows XP (Vista) debate and I know which I prefer.
I prefer Unix, gnu, emacs, and anything else of this nature...

Which I use at work for real work...

But, I must use a PC (for presentations and spreadsheets...) with SW and OS written by people from the Evil Empire...but hey, that's life...

You guys should go back about 15years and see what kind of debates they were having then on this stuff!...lol...

over and out,
murph
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple Groove View Post

Anyway, I'd like to start recording drumss soon and I hear Mac is the way to go in that sense. REally, Ive seen a lot of very high spec PCs performing worse than my computer (2gb RAM, 512video??, 3.4ghz - according to windows..) and it makes me a little cautious about buying another PC.

Also, I hear that the PC architecture is very inefficient compared to Macs, then again Macs are rediculously expensive.
Other thing is that...PC parts are manufacture in a bazillion different locations and theres a million different companies making the parts, while MAC has specific products, macbook, macbook pro etc.

Bottom line thoe, for multitrack recording, which is better? d;
I think MAc. You?
Heh, another ex-386 user. I miss my 386, playing the original Prince of Persia and Steel Empire...

I'm not going to say either is really better to be honest. I'm running a Mac mainly for this (eventual...) purpose basically because of compatibility with what I have available to me at college, which is basically a load of Macs with Logic. I run a Mac with Logic, brilliant. I have no complaints about this setup, other than the fact that I'm now going to have to buy my audio interfaces etc at a later date. A few months ago I was seriously considering building a custom PC with a massive audio interface and all the gizmos I'd need to start recording built in, which is very much possible with a PC. In the end, for convenience's sake and for the sake of compatibility, I went with the Mac. That and the fact that I was pretty sick at the thought of having to use Windows XP 64 as my secondary OS (I would've been using Linux like I used to for every day tasks). So:

You can get a lot more for your money with a PC. No doubt. You can customise more with a PC than you can with a Mac (Mac Pros not included, Jesus look at the specs that are potentially available there, 9Ghz of DUAL CORE processing power, etc etc, but I'm talking consumer models here) and PC's tend to have more in the way of user support because of the ubiquity of PC's. The downsides are Windows as a secondary OS (if you run a dual boot) and the lack of specific product support if one of your components breaks down.

DAW software, like Logic or Cubase is usually fairly cross-OS orientated, with exceptions. Logic is basically for Macs (the older versions work on PC) and Magix Samplitude is for Windows. Which software you actually use is entirely your own choice.

Macs have advantages too. The stable nature of the main operating system is a big one for me. The ease and convenience they provide from the second they start to run and the fact that they have excellent product support is also a huge advantage. They are not as customisable in the consumer models and they are considerably more expensive. Personally, I like Macs for my work. Others may like PCs. It really is just personal preference and ultimately it comes down to a gut instinct. Both are ultimately probably both relatively the same in terms of objective assessment.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Tama Player's Avatar
Tama Player Tama Player is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina
Posts: 698
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Heh, another ex-386 user. I miss my 386, playing the original Prince of Persia and Steel Empire...

I'm not going to say either is really better to be honest. I'm running a Mac mainly for this (eventual...) purpose basically because of compatibility with what I have available to me at college, which is basically a load of Macs with Logic. I run a Mac with Logic, brilliant. I have no complaints about this setup, other than the fact that I'm now going to have to buy my audio interfaces etc at a later date. A few months ago I was seriously considering building a custom PC with a massive audio interface and all the gizmos I'd need to start recording built in, which is very much possible with a PC. In the end, for convenience's sake and for the sake of compatibility, I went with the Mac. That and the fact that I was pretty sick at the thought of having to use Windows XP 64 as my secondary OS (I would've been using Linux like I used to for every day tasks). So:

You can get a lot more for your money with a PC. No doubt. You can customise more with a PC than you can with a Mac (Mac Pros not included, Jesus look at the specs that are potentially available there, 9Ghz of DUAL CORE processing power, etc etc, but I'm talking consumer models here) and PC's tend to have more in the way of user support because of the ubiquity of PC's. The downsides are Windows as a secondary OS (if you run a dual boot) and the lack of specific product support if one of your components breaks down.

DAW software, like Logic or Cubase is usually fairly cross-OS orientated, with exceptions. Logic is basically for Macs (the older versions work on PC) and Magix Samplitude is for Windows. Which software you actually use is entirely your own choice.

Macs have advantages too. The stable nature of the main operating system is a big one for me. The ease and convenience they provide from the second they start to run and the fact that they have excellent product support is also a huge advantage. They are not as customisable in the consumer models and they are considerably more expensive. Personally, I like Macs for my work. Others may like PCs. It really is just personal preference and ultimately it comes down to a gut instinct. Both are ultimately probably both relatively the same in terms of objective assessment.
Well said mfb, I agree with you completely.

Peace
AGR
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-07-2008, 11:26 AM
abe abe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 360
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

I found this in youtube sometime ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkrn6ecxthM


BTW, I'm neutral :)
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-07-2008, 07:01 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

After going through a virus attack,
losing a hard drive,
fighting off hackers,
upgrading all my software,
installing fire-walls,
being threatened with being cut-off by my email provider,
and a host of other problems..
I have fixed my computer...
and NOW it works exactly the way I want it to!


Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-07-2008, 07:49 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,483
Default Re: Mac Vs PC

To quote the Mac commercial, and the Wall Street Journal. Leopard is faster and better than Vista. Choose whichever you wish but remember you can run Windows programs on Mac but no one can run Mac Programs on a PC. I'll be thinking of this little debate as I attend the MacWorld Expo in San Francisco next week.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 01-07-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com