DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Aquarian thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Holy smokes! I didn't know those were single ply heads! I'm off to get some.

The texture coated ones look interesting...do they have the control ring in them too? It is hard to tell from the website.

Stu
The Studio Xs are single ply heads. The Performance/Response 2 heads are two ply. I like their 2 ply heads.

Oh, and Stu, id recommend you get the power dot version of the Studio X. I know you play a bit heavier (gauging your posts), so I think the dots will make them last for quite a while.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:38 AM

i am really excited for my first set to get here.
studio x's with classic clears on bottoms
and just a texture coated for snare
problem was,
guitar center nor sam ash had them in stock
they did, but not all
thought that was weird
interstate music made my day though
ill put up my two cents when i get em
Old 08-06-2006, 05:10 AM
Gold Member

i love aquarian! awesome stuff. i don't know what was up with the superkick II /regulator

combo you tried stu, but i think it's the best kick drum pair in the business. extremely

durable as opposed to emads (damping ring just plain started to fall off). coated studio x's

are my favorite tom heads as well as snare head. and the customer service is superb

(from numerous accounts of others). definitely give coated studio x's over classic clears a try.

you won't be dissapointed as many others haven't.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer
I've owned exactly four Aquarian heads. All four were coated. The snare drum head was a Satin Finish Texture Coated single ply, the tom heads were two ply. I believe they were Double Thins, but I don't see that model on the website any more. They sounded fine, not unlike Remo Ambassadors and Emperors. However, the 14" floor tom head was the ONLY drum head I've ever owned that truly had a defect (I am not talking about inconsequential bits of coating coming off). The head started sounding really dead shortly after I put it on. It turns out the ply on the underside had come loose and was wrinkled underneath the top ply.

I also had the opportunity to play the Studio X's last night on a friend's DW kit. Interestingly, the 14 floor tom head, though looking virtually brand new in other ways, had a 2" spot of coating worn off. Rick said it started coming off almost immediately, but didn't affect the sound any, so he wasn't worried about it.

So, in my limited experience, I would say they are decent enough heads, but nothing special. The coating comes off, just like many other heads. The heads pull loose from the "special" rims sometimes, just like I've heard of other heads doing. And they sound just fine, once you find the model that suits you, just like other heads. Pretty much sounds just like Remo or Evans to me. However, the different companies DO offer slightly different models, so if an Aquarian model floats your boat, by all means, use it!

And Stu, if you want to try something close to a coated Ambassador or G1, try the Satin Finish Texture Coated.
If any coating is coming off too easily, this is due to a bad batch and aquarian are aware of a bad coating production from one of their supplier so call them and they will replace the head without questioning.

Quote:
Holy smokes! I didn't know those were single ply heads! I'm off to get some.

The texture coated ones look interesting...do they have the control ring in them too? It is hard to tell from the website.

Stu
Texture coated hasn't control ring (plain coated ambs or G1).

Stu, I recommend you to try the texture coated batter over classic clear reso (tom & snare) and Superkick I or Force I over unported regulator. I know you like tone and resonance and these combo will give you what you need.

note:
I like to say I agree AQUARIAN hasn't much any endorser but they dont have the financial power of REMO or EVANS. People use Aquarian because they like and believe in their products.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 08-06-2006, 08:07 PM

I also didn't care for the SKII/Regulator combination. The problem, I found, was the regulator head. That thing killed all the life in my bass drum, making a dead sounding attack with little resonance or projection. SKII with an Evans EQ3 resonant head is a really good combination.

I also recommend coated Studio-Xs over coated High Frequency resos. Makes a great warm boomy sound that's perfect for classic rock, 'light' metal, funky R&B type stuff, and can fit in with just about anything if need be. Plus the coated heads on both sides of the drum looks really sharp.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinj
Oh, and Stu, id recommend you get the power dot version of the Studio X. I know you play a bit heavier (gauging your posts), so I think the dots will make them last for quite a while.
You got me confused with someone else. I've never dented a head in my life, and I normally use G1 clear or coated heads.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofriendlyunitshifter
i don't know what was up with the superkick II /regulator

combo you tried stu, but i think it's the best kick drum pair in the business. extremely

durable as opposed to emads (damping ring just plain started to fall off).
I don't need a durable head, I need a great sounding head. That was my problem with the SKII/Regulator combo...sounded like I was playing a 22" Kevlar marching drum.

I'm gonna give the Studio-X coated heads a shot. Yeah, and Emads had a small run of Emads where the ring thing was falling off, but they fixed it for the most part. I'm on my third emad (coated this time) and I never had any problems with the others.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:25 PM
adamjames

Quote:
I don't need a durable head, I need a great sounding head. That was my problem with the SKII/Regulator combo...sounded like I was playing a 22" Kevlar marching drum.

I'm gonna give the Studio-X coated heads a shot. Yeah, and Emads had a small run of Emads where the ring thing was falling off, but they fixed it for the most part. I'm on my third emad (coated this time) and I never had any problems with the others.

I can relate and agree about the super kick. Were you using the 2 ply one? I tried the single ply and I thought it way better. The 2 ply version may be a little too super.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Like I said in my previous post, if you like more tone and resonance then look no further than satin finish texture coated and if these are still too thick for your taste, look at coated hi-frequency heads...

My Kit Latest Update
Old 08-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
You got me confused with someone else. I've never dented a head in my life, and I normally use G1 clear or coated heads.
Oh, then nevermind : )
Old 08-08-2006, 06:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
haha fair enough.

(but i think they sound fantastic)

thank goodness for opinions. otherwise the never ending "what _____ is the best" threads would be a bit boring.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Pioneer Member

Ok so here's my opinion on Aquarian.... AWESOME!!!!!!!
I went to L&M today to buy a new snare head to replace my emperor x coated head. I was looking at getting an evans HD head, but then I saw a few aquarians there. I picked up the Studio X coated head and brought it home. Now I've gone through 5 snare heads and could not find the snare sound I was looking for. I have a Pearl Steel snare btw. I put this head on there, tuned it a bit, picked up my stick and smacked it. Most unbelievable snare sound I've ever heard. Beautiful crack. I love Aquarian.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer
Ok so here's my opinion on Aquarian.... AWESOME!!!!!!!
I went to L&M today to buy a new snare head to replace my emperor x coated head. I was looking at getting an evans HD head, but then I saw a few aquarians there. I picked up the Studio X coated head and brought it home. Now I've gone through 5 snare heads and could not find the snare sound I was looking for. I have a Pearl Steel snare btw. I put this head on there, tuned it a bit, picked up my stick and smacked it. Most unbelievable snare sound I've ever heard. Beautiful crack. I love Aquarian.

Glad it fit your taste right away and imagine the sound will get better over little amount of time (atleast it what happened to me)... You really can't go wront with studio-x and you can also fit your entire set with this series !

My Kit Latest Update
Old 08-16-2006, 04:24 AM

Studio-Xs are great...I use em for everything i play - rock, jazz, and everything in between.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:49 AM
Pioneer Member

studio x's make my 16 year old Tama Rockstar sound absolutely AMAZING. I constantly get compliments on the tone of it. I do have G1's on the reso and it seems to be a nice combiation.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:39 PM

With respect to previous posters' opinions, I will offer my own thoughts on Aquarian.

1. I LOVE Aquarian's customer service, the best in the business if you ask me. (and you did because you were asking my thoughts on Aquarian)

2. Aquarian makes a consistent product, in my opinion. Every head I've played has tuned and sounded the same head to head.

3. I don't care for the sound of Aquarian heads in general. They sound "nasally" compared to Remo heads to my ear. What I mean is I have Remo Coated Ambassadors on one kit and they sound open and have a clear attack and plenty of tone. Conversly, I have Aquarian Texture Coated heads on another kit and they have a muted attack and flat tone with a mid-range quality to the decay.

4. I do like the Super Kick I head for it's sound and ease of use as far as muffling the bass drum goes.

Now, before anyone argues that different drums will produce different sounds, I have to tell you the 2 kits I have that I'm comparing Remo to Aquarian above are all maple shells with double cut 45 degree bearing edges. Both kits sound great with Coated Ambassadors, but when I put the Texture Coated heads on the 2nd kit, the sound suffered.

As far as changing your heads every 3 to 4 days, I think that is a colassal waste of money. Even if you're in a studio recording major label albums all day, you shouldn't need to replace your heads that often. How hard are you playing? Not to mention the garbage you're generating by doing that.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital D
With respect to previous posters' opinions, I will offer my own thoughts on Aquarian.

1. I LOVE Aquarian's customer service, the best in the business if you ask me. (and you did because you were asking my thoughts on Aquarian)

2. Aquarian makes a consistent product, in my opinion. Every head I've played has tuned and sounded the same head to head.

3. I don't care for the sound of Aquarian heads in general. They sound "nasally" compared to Remo heads to my ear. What I mean is I have Remo Coated Ambassadors on one kit and they sound open and have a clear attack and plenty of tone. Conversly, I have Aquarian Texture Coated heads on another kit and they have a muted attack and flat tone with a mid-range quality to the decay.

4. I do like the Super Kick I head for it's sound and ease of use as far as muffling the bass drum goes.

Now, before anyone argues that different drums will produce different sounds, I have to tell you the 2 kits I have that I'm comparing Remo to Aquarian above are all maple shells with double cut 45 degree bearing edges. Both kits sound great with Coated Ambassadors, but when I put the Texture Coated heads on the 2nd kit, the sound suffered.

As far as changing your heads every 3 to 4 days, I think that is a colassal waste of money. Even if you're in a studio recording major label albums all day, you shouldn't need to replace your heads that often. How hard are you playing? Not to mention the garbage you're generating by doing that.

Since the Aquarian coating is little bit thicker than remo's one, Have you tried the hi-frequecy coated heads instead or the modern vintage medium of thin weight ? I find these heads are more comparable to ambassador than texture coated mostly because of coating thickness.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 08-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Stu_Strib

When has anyone ever needed customer service from a drum head company?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
When has anyone ever needed customer service from a drum head company?
when you need a drumhead replaced because of a manufactured defect.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjian 242
Oh and to the people who talk about the denting, its your technique not the drumheads fault, its common sense
Some guys hit harder that others and that doesn't mean they have poor technique. It's more a question of matching your equipment to your playing style.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:44 PM
fusssion

I have a Super Kick II and love it.......10" hole on the res side, absolutely no muffling.....BOOM!! Very nice. PDP birch kit, 18x22.

However....for durability purposes,....I tried Performance II's on the batter side.....and I DO NOT like the sound at all........sound like cardboard boxes. Can't get a nice rounded sound with them.

I'll probably go back to teh EC2's which were easy to tune and sounded great!
Old 08-22-2006, 07:25 PM

I want to try a Studio X texture coated head on my snare but can't seem to find any UK online stores that sell them. Anybody know where I can get some?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorno
I want to try a Studio X texture coated head on my snare but can't seem to find any UK online stores that sell them. Anybody know where I can get some?
Try this http://www.musicshipping.co.uk/drumheads.htm

My Kit Latest Update
Old 08-22-2006, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer
Cheers man. I guess I should just e-mail them direct and ask them the same question?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjames View Post
I have been playing for 30 years. I have used (almost) every Remo head as well as Evans. Some I like, some I don't. The Aqaurians that I have tuned up instatly. I did have a problem with the 10' head but I called Aquarian and spoke to Roy Burns who sent me a new head. Problem solved. I have never gotten attention like that from any other co. and yes, I have tried the others when it came to a questionable product. The drum head world can be confusing with so many different products and competition.
I agree, from all accounts that I've heard they have the best service. However, as a guy at the drum shop I frequent said to me "gotta be when you're in third place".