DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-02-2007, 04:35 AM

Default Ebay question with heads?

Do people buy lightly used heads on ebay?

My Kit
Old 01-02-2007, 04:54 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Ebay question with heads?

Yeah, I'd say a good starting point might be a few bucks a head, depending on size. I have a whole stack of them I need to get rid of.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedrummer View Post
Yeah, I'd say a good starting point might be a few bucks a head, depending on size. I have a whole stack of them I need to get rid of.
Yeah me too, Imma start with my EC2's.

My Kit
Old 01-02-2007, 05:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Firth View Post
Yeah me too, Imma start with my EC2's.

Really? You'll be the first person I've heard of who didn't like (I assume you didn't like them) the EC2s!
Old 01-02-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Really? You'll be the first person I've heard of who didn't like (I assume you didn't like them) the EC2s!
Nope, I wasn't impressed. I am tempted to try out the coated EC2's because I love coated heads, much more warm and deep sounding. Right now I'm rocking G2's over Genera Glass and a HD Dry Snare Over Hazy 300.

My Kit
Old 01-02-2007, 05:40 AM
Gold Member

Yeah, I have the Coated EC2s on my 14, 15, 16, and soon on my 18" toms. All over clear G1s. I'd say they're definitely very warm and deep sounding, but not "pinstripey". Nothing "dead" about them. Excellent heads, IMO.

As for your other head choices, I literally just finished putting a Genera Dry on my snare (already has Hazy 300 on reso). Not 5 minutes ago. Got it cranked up pretty high to get the head to seat, but it does also sound pretty good right now.

Actually, my 12" tom is the only one that has a G2 over Glass. It's a very complicated system I have going, but I like the sound it gives me.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:50 AM

Though I really like my EC2 clears, I was thinking about the coated ones too. I don't dislike the clears enough to swap out just based on sound, but when its time for a change due to wear, I may give the coated EC2 batters a shot.

I bet you will be able to unload them on ebay for at least a few bucks You ought to put them in the for sale area here too. A lot of folks might be interested, since its a cheap way to demo a set of EC2s.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Firth View Post
Do people buy lightly used heads on ebay?
Nah

Head are very inexpensive brand new so I buy them new at the shop and keep eBay for shopping expensive thing when there's deal on them.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-02-2007, 06:01 AM

EC2 heads are amazing, but i personally hate them on poplar drumsets. if youre going to get EC2's id suggest you at least have a birch drumset. IMO because if not they sound to bright and not enough low end and all attack ... IMO again.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:33 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Nah

Head are very inexpensive brand new so I buy them new at the shop and keep eBay for shopping expensive thing when there's deal on them.
I just sold a bunch on Ebay.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 01-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Pioneer Member

I've sold quite a few heads on e bay. Last week I sold a super kick regulator combo. A set of PIIs, and three snare batters. I got around $80.00 for those and bought a new kick head and some EC2s for my toms.

If the heads sag when I take them off they get trashed. Otherwise I sell em. Hey, why not? It helps fund the next set of heads.

I have some Response IIs and Classic Clears listed now. The batter heads were mounted for two weeks. I just didn't like the sound. That said, they will be a great set of heads for someone.

I can't remember how many time I've read on this board folks wanting new heads, but couldn't afford them. So I sell used heads that are in good shape for around half the price of new ones.

This allows me to experiment with new heads for around half price also. I think it's a win-win for everyone.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
I've sold quite a few heads on e bay. Last week I sold a super kick regulator combo. A set of PIIs, and three snare batters. I got around $80.00 for those and bought a new kick head and some EC2s for my toms.

If the heads sag when I take them off they get trashed. Otherwise I sell em. Hey, why not? It helps fund the next set of heads.

I have some Response IIs and Classic Clears listed now. The batter heads were mounted for two weeks. I just didn't like the sound. That said, they will be a great set of heads for someone.

I can't remember how many time I've read on this board folks wanting new heads, but couldn't afford them. So I sell used heads that are in good shape for around half the price of new ones.

This allows me to experiment with new heads for around half price also. I think it's a win-win for everyone.
I thought you liked the SK/Regulator combo. What made you change them out? What did you put on your kick now? Were the Classic clears the same age as the Respone IIs. I saw your listing on ebay.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 01-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
I thought you liked the SK/Regulator combo. What made you change them out? What did you put on your kick now? Were the Classic clears the same age as the Respone IIs. I saw your listing on ebay.
I do like the SKII/Regulator combo. I'm running evans heads on the toms and snare so I thought I'd try the EMADII and EMAD reso. I sounds like the Aquarians. I just don't hear much of a difference.

The band I've been rehearsing with is getting pretty loud so I've ordered a EQ3 batter head for the kick.I'm hoping to open it up a bit more. The bass drum is usually the first thing to get lost in the mix. At the moment I'm looking for a little more boom. When the drums sound just right when you're playing by yourself they sometimes get lost in the live mix.

The Clasic Clears were on the set for about six months. I'm running Genera resos now.
They sound about the same as the Classic Clears.

I guess I've been searching for that magic combination.

I like the EC2s and the Studio Xs. The Super Kick and EMAD two ply combos.

I'll probably be running all Aquarians again in two months.

I was out of it for a long time so I've been playing catch up on gear. trying out as much as I can afford. I'm getting it narrowed down.

Back in the day the chioces were Ambassadors, Emps and CS. Things have sure changed!

Take care.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Thats true. I think that if you are not too sure if you wanna stick with drumming too long you should buy them, just so you can get rid of crappy stock heads (although the ones that came with my set sounded rather nice). But personally, i wouldnt want to get used heads because from what i have heard around the forum, you should switch your heads every 6 months (although its usually more than a 1 years time when i switch mine), and its always a hassle putting on new heads, so i would want to use mine as long as possible.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
I do like the SKII/Regulator combo. I'm running evans heads on the toms and snare so I thought I'd try the EMADII and EMAD reso. I sounds like the Aquarians. I just don't hear much of a difference.

The band I've been rehearsing with is getting pretty loud so I've ordered a EQ3 batter head for the kick.I'm hoping to open it up a bit more. The bass drum is usually the first thing to get lost in the mix. At the moment I'm looking for a little more boom. When the drums sound just right when you're playing by yourself they sometimes get lost in the live mix.

The Clasic Clears were on the set for about six months. I'm running Genera resos now.
They sound about the same as the Classic Clears.

I guess I've been searching for that magic combination.

I like the EC2s and the Studio Xs. The Super Kick and EMAD two ply combos.

I'll probably be running all Aquarians again in two months.

I was out of it for a long time so I've been playing catch up on gear. trying out as much as I can afford. I'm getting it narrowed down.

Back in the day the chioces were Ambassadors, Emps and CS. Things have sure changed!

Take care.
One of the reasons I'm running the PS3 ebony resonant with the SKII on my kick is when the music tends to get louder, the resonant helps out alot. If I run into a quieter situation , I have a small pillow I pop in up against the reso. I'm sure the regulator doesn't ring as much, right?

Old 01-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
One of the reasons I'm running the PS3 ebony resonant with the SKII on my kick is when the music tends to get louder, the resonant helps out alot. If I run into a quieter situation , I have a small pillow I pop in up against the reso. I'm sure the regulator doesn't ring as much, right?
Thanks for that info. The Regulator has a felt donut mounted to the inside of the head. It's
pretty dead. The EMAD reso has a removable foam donut that mounts around the port. I tried taking it off, but it didn't change things much.

I'll probably play around with different resos too. I have a couple laying around so when the new batter comes I'll be experimenting with various combos.

We have practice tonight so I'm going to pitch the kick up and see if that helps any.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:31 AM
Pioneer Member

The Aquarians sold for $60.00 and three 8 inchers for $20.00.

That'll get me into a set of Super IIs.

Me like e bay!
Old 01-11-2007, 06:07 AM
Gold Member

I'm going to have to go through my heads and sell some also. Don't forget to post about those super ll's

Old 01-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I'm going to have to go through my heads and sell some also. Don't forget to post about those super ll's
I sold a guy three 14" snare batters that turned out to be 13s. Doh!!!!!

He was cool about it so I set him three of the right size and told him to keep the 13s.

Snare batters seem to last about three months and then they start sounding flat. I put new heads on my 4 X 14 OCDP today. Cracks pretty good again.

I'm still trying to decide if I want clear Super IIs or the ones with the studio X rings.

I dunno.................