DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-25-2006, 10:28 PM
DrummerBen1 DrummerBen1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 152
Default What's a good jazz bass pedal?

Or does it even matter?

I have an iron cobra, beacause I used to play doublebass in a heavy-rock band, but I only use one iron cobra pedal though.

What's your opinion? I don't think it really matters but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-25-2006, 10:55 PM
TheSteve's Avatar
TheSteve TheSteve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 331
Default Re: What's a good jazz bass pedal?

It doesn't really matter, if you're playing jazz you just need to play light, get a soft beater maybe but the pedal just needs to be smooth and have good response.
__________________
"If you gotta ask,man, you'll never know."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-25-2006, 11:19 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's a good jazz bass pedal?

One that goes up and down.

;-)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-26-2006, 12:39 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,110
Default Re: What's a good jazz bass pedal?

You want a pedal that feels comfortable to you. Genre of music disreguarded.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-26-2006, 01:13 AM
tomgrosset's Avatar
tomgrosset tomgrosset is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 735
Default Re: What's a good jazz bass pedal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
You want a pedal that feels comfortable to you. Genre of music disreguarded.
Exactly, and it's knowing how to use it appropriately.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-27-2006, 09:46 AM
KCDrummer's Avatar
KCDrummer KCDrummer is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 808
Default Re: What's a good jazz bass pedal?

I play a DW 5000 and I've been real happy with it. Smooth and responsive, durable enough to hold up over many gigs, but also delicate enough for more sensitive playing.

What I REALLY want is the DW 9000--my god, it's like walking on a cloud.
__________________
Zack Albetta--Bosphorus Artist
My Myspace Page.
Read my Article!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-27-2006, 02:27 PM
TheSteve's Avatar
TheSteve TheSteve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 331
Default Re: What's a good jazz bass pedal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDrummer View Post
I play a DW 5000 and I've been real happy with it. Smooth and responsive, durable enough to hold up over many gigs, but also delicate enough for more sensitive playing.

What I REALLY want is the DW 9000--my god, it's like walking on a cloud.
My teacher has the 9000 Titanium (only 500 made...ever) and it's like jesus is hitting your bass drum. I have the 5000 as well, awesome pedal but obviously the 9000 is amazing.
__________________
"If you gotta ask,man, you'll never know."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-27-2006, 02:41 PM
khanedeliac's Avatar
khanedeliac khanedeliac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London, UK
Posts: 284
Default Re: What's a good jazz bass pedal?

Quote:
and it's like jesus is hitting your bass drum.
hahahahahhahah, that is one of the best analogies I have ever heard!

rock on Jesus...
:)
__________________
Slick Enough to Out-Sly a Fox, For a Chicken Pot Pie; Thinking Outside the Box
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-28-2006, 12:00 AM
TheSteve's Avatar
TheSteve TheSteve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 331
Default Re: What's a good jazz bass pedal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanedeliac View Post
hahahahahhahah, that is one of the best analogies I have ever heard!

rock on Jesus...
:)


right on........................................20 characters.................
__________________
"If you gotta ask,man, you'll never know."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-28-2006, 12:18 AM
bromasi bromasi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 199
Default Re: What's a good jazz bass pedal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBen1 View Post
Or does it even matter?

I have an iron cobra, beacause I used to play doublebass in a heavy-rock band, but I only use one iron cobra pedal though.

What's your opinion? I don't think it really matters but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks.
the one that you play with your foot, sorry couldn't help it, I'm sure any pedal would be good even an old speed king which I use once in a while, but my favorite is the DW 9000.Good Luck
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-04-2007, 10:55 PM
gretsch223's Avatar
gretsch223 gretsch223 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 490
Default Re: What's a good jazz bass pedal?

i just use a tama pedal with a felt beater....I would say that the most used pedal for jazz is the yamaha pedal with the felt beater...Sorry i don't know what the detailed name is...But, really there is no jazz bass drum pedal...I play at a jazz club in NYC and their bass drum pedal is the yamaha one.
__________________
gretsch, zildjian, vic firth, remo
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-05-2007, 06:32 PM
kung_f00's Avatar
kung_f00 kung_f00 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 528
Default Re: What's a good jazz bass pedal?

You might want to try out beaters rather than pedals. Any pedal that works for you will essentially be a good pedal. If you're looking for a beater that will sound much softer/lighter, check out Vater. Their "Bomber" bass drum beater is a big, fluffy beater that I've heard good things about. I'm pretty sure it will fit just about any pedal unit, but don't exactly quote me on that.

Here's a link to help you out: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=446667
__________________
When in doubt, bring the funk...

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-11-2007, 06:30 AM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,739
Default Re: What's a good jazz bass pedal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
You might want to try out beaters rather than pedals. Any pedal that works for you will essentially be a good pedal. If you're looking for a beater that will sound much softer/lighter, check out Vater. Their "Bomber" bass drum beater is a big, fluffy beater that I've heard good things about. I'm pretty sure it will fit just about any pedal unit, but don't exactly quote me on that.

Here's a link to help you out: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=446667

I have been using one of these on jazz gigs as well. The only problem is going form a jazz tune into something like a motown tune.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com


http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-11-2007, 06:33 AM
Class A Drummer's Avatar
Class A Drummer Class A Drummer is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,218
Default Re: What's a good jazz bass pedal?

As said, its anything that feels comfortable and works well. I would suggest something with a soft felt beater. But as far as i know, different pedals are not really meant for different genres, as the same with drum sets.
__________________
"If they tell you no pain no gain... shoot them." -Jim Chapin
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com