DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

Default Danny Gottlieb

I see a few members bumping some threads of drummers that don't get enough pub to the top so I thought I'd throw another name in the hat....

How bout Danny Gottlieb who has some of the prettiest hands in the business...surely Joe Morello's prize protege has some fans out there...

I've seen him do a solo that was purely symbols only that was incredibly tastey...what a nice feathery touch he has...and he is very versitle with playing any type of styles...

Definetly a drumset player I strive to be like.....
Old 01-10-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Danny Gottlieb

Got HIS video, too : )

Evidently, it was the first edition because the quality is poor.

Incredibly fast hands.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2xlr8n View Post
Got HIS video, too : )

Evidently, it was the first edition because the quality is poor.

Incredibly fast hands.
Yeah I got the old VHS...
Bad quality but what can you do....

Theres not much out there available on him....
Old 01-10-2007, 09:13 PM

Weird. I was just thinking about him yesterday and thought of the same thing...No thread on him either...

Big fan from way back. Saw him with Mark Egan in Philly (in a small bar setting) around 85-86ish. I think that was the band Elements?...

His solo album Aquamarine still gets a lot of play time on my stereo.

-Murph
Old 01-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphinelli View Post
His solo album Aquamarine still gets a lot of play time on my stereo.

-Murph
Cool...Is that his best work?

I'm actually lookin for some listening material....

Whats the best Metheny to start with?
I have We Live Here which is average at best and I don't think hes on it anyways....
Old 01-11-2007, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearDrummer View Post
Cool...Is that his best work?

I'm actually lookin for some listening material....

Whats the best Metheny to start with?
I have We Live Here which is average at best and I don't think hes on it anyways....
I wouldn't say this is his best work. It's a cool solo album and really features Mark Egan's cool melodic bass stuff. Good motivational background music...

Good place to start with Gottlieb & Metheny is the Pat Metheny Group (1978) and OffRamp (1982). These are two of my favorites. He's played on a lot more. Played a lot with Al Di Meola, Gil Evans, and a bunch of others.

I've lost track of him since the late 80's so...couldn't say much about his recent work.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:39 AM

I had a lesson with him a few weeks ago at his house in Orlando and besides him being one of the greatest musicians out there, he's one of the nicest people I have ever met. He welcomed me and my parents in his house like we've been friends for years and we talking about drums and studying with him (which I might be doing in college at University of North Florida). Like we all know he was one of Joe's best students so the lesson was like I was learning from Joe through Danny. His chops and style are unreal. We had the lesson in his garage which had no garage type things in it at all. It had two kits with the craziest cymbal set ups ever. He also plays Basix drums which are really great sounding drums made in Europe I belive?

Anyway, stuff was just everywhere since his wife Beth is a percussionist and she had her share of timpani and other assortments of equipment all around the room as well. After the lesson he invited us to watch him play at the Candle Light Processional in Epcot, which by the way if you've never seen it, you should. He also told me some great stories like how he interviewed Gary Chester about New Breed and it basically explains the intro and how Joe was the best man at wedding and a lot of stories playing on radio jazz groups in Europe.

So to sum this all up, Danny is one of the best drummers walking the earth and is a great, nice and caring person. If you are in the Central/Northern area in Florida you should try to contact him for a lesson or check him out at UNF. I look forward to studying with him next year if that's the route I decide to take and if you live in Florida then my obvious other choice is UM. Well, that's my story.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
I had a lesson with him a few weeks ago at his house in Orlando and besides him being one of the greatest musicians out there, he's one of the nicest people I have ever met. He welcomed me and my parents in his house like we've been friends for years and we talking about drums and studying with him (which I might be doing in college at University of North Florida). Like we all know he was one of Joe's best students so the lesson was like I was learning from Joe through Danny. His chops and style are unreal. We had the lesson in his garage which had no garage type things in it at all. It had two kits with the craziest cymbal set ups ever. He also plays Basix drums which are really great sounding drums made in Europe I belive?

Anyway, stuff was just everywhere since his wife Beth is a percussionist and she had her share of timpani and other assortments of equipment all around the room as well. After the lesson he invited us to watch him play at the Candle Light Processional in Epcot, which by the way if you've never seen it, you should. He also told me some great stories like how he interviewed Gary Chester about New Breed and it basically explains the intro and how Joe was the best man at wedding and a lot of stories playing on radio jazz groups in Europe.

So to sum this all up, Danny is one of the best drummers walking the earth and is a great, nice and caring person. If you are in the Central/Northern area in Florida you should try to contact him for a lesson or check him out at UNF. I look forward to studying with him next year if that's the route I decide to take and if you live in Florida then my obvious other choice is UM. Well, that's my story.

Wow, nice story Steve. I'm jealous, of course. I hope you go to Univ of North Fla. Studying with Danny is reason alone...Good luck. So...If I'm going down to Disney sometime should I try and book a lesson with Danny? I'm taking the fam down there this November.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Wow, nice story Steve. I'm jealous, of course. I hope you go to Univ of North Fla. Studying with Danny is reason alone...Good luck. So...If I'm going down to Disney sometime should I try and book a lesson with Danny? I'm taking the fam down there this November.

Yes, I would try to do that. The best thing to do is to call him very early since he's either busy teaching or he's in Europe.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Good place to start with Gottlieb & Metheny is the Pat Metheny Group (1978) and OffRamp (1982). These are two of my favorites. He's played on a lot more. Played a lot with Al Di Meola, Gil Evans, and a bunch of others.
Thanks man...
I'm gonna check them out...
Old 04-06-2007, 04:22 PM

Hey all, just for an update I'll be studying with Danny at UNF in Jacksonville, Florida this coming Fall.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
Hey all, just for an update I'll be studying with Danny at UNF in Jacksonville, Florida this coming Fall.
Congrats! Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Congrats! Let us know how it goes.
I sure will, I bet I'll have some great stories.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:30 PM

I really like his work with the group MB3 (Mel Bay 3)...They consist of 3 guitarists- Vic Juris, Jim Bruno, and Corey Christiansen...bassist- Jay Anderson and on the drums Danny Gottlieb. Great jazz.

Some songs on the album:

Kiler Joe
All Blues
On Green Dolphin Street
and more great standards!

Last edited by gretsch223; 04-27-2007 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Speling