DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-25-2006, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Tomas Haake

Thanks a lot shinx, I learned a few things...big thanks!
Old 11-26-2006, 10:56 PM

I downloaded the free version of Finale Notepad 2007 last night, and I was bored today so I put in the drum part of 'Autonomy Lost' from DRUM! magazine's transcription of it... here's the page they have with the one's they did for their Tomas Haake section from last year sometime, http://www.drummagazine.com/html/mod...der=1&thold=-1 ... so I'll attach the .zip file here, it includes the .mus and .bak files... I might do some of the other one's later also, maybe 'Ritual', I bet 'War' would be pretty fun to do too, I'll post them asap once/if I do them...the part is in 5/4, but you can't phrase it like that with the program, so it's written as 4/4, and I put the riding crash notes as the bell on the ride...alright, enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip autonomy lost.zip (45.9 KB, 437 views)

Last edited by cardan; 11-26-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:05 AM

ok, well I'm still pretty bored, so here's 'War'...at the tempo that DRUM! magazine say's it's at, a little over 200 bpm, the drum's were not played by Haake, they were programmed for the Rare Trax album. it sounds really funny to me when its at that tempo, I have to dull it down to about 140 until I can even comprehend most of it...I have some school homework to do now, but I might do 'Ritual' later today, let me know what you guys think of these or if you see any errors...
Attached Files
File Type: zip war.zip (49.6 KB, 444 views)
Old 11-27-2006, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardan View Post
Thanks a lot shinx, I learned a few things...big thanks!
Sure man, just trying to show people the greatness of Tomas

You might want to check out the forum, if you haven't already - http://www.tandjent.com/meshforum/
Old 11-28-2006, 06:44 AM

I did 'Ritual', so here's the .zip file...I don't have None, so I don't know what tempo the song is, but samples off amazon.com and mp3.com helped...hope you like it, tell me what you think!
Attached Files
File Type: zip ritual.zip (45.9 KB, 431 views)
Old 11-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

Anyone know anything about the spoxe hi hats Haake has been using on his recent clinic etc? Has he ever used them in a Mesh song? Which one? I can't think how they would sound but I'm pretty intrigued, it's not the sort of thing you see very often.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:22 AM

Here's a recent interview with Tomas Haake about their upcoming album.

Taken from the Feb. '07 issue of Revolver Magazine "In The Studio" section, page 28

From what I gather from this short descriptive interview, it might just be the heaviest most chaotic Meshuggah album yet. I'm really looking forward to this now...

Their 2005 album, the 47-minute one-song opus Catch Thirtythree, featured programed beats and repetitive rhythms, but Swedish metal mathematicians MESHUGGAH are bringing neither back for the as-yet-untitled follow-up. Instead, they're returning to the pummeling double bass drums and angular riffage that defined their early material to sculpt what they say will be their most savage, eclectic offering yet. "We've got some fast, intense songs and hectic, heavy stuff that draws from all the things we've done in the past," says drummer TOMAS HAAKE. "It's so great to actually be playing drums again."

The band members started writing this past August and currently have three tracks completed without vocals and parts in place for 10 more tunes. The goal is to finish by March, in time for a May release. To some extent, the tone of the music was motivated by the four months Meshuggah spent last year rerecording guitars for the Halloween rerelease of their 2002 album, Nothing. "It was great to revisit that super-heavy stuff," Haake says. "While we were doing it, we found new ways of playing guitar that give the music a really scary tone. That's going to make this record sound more brutal."
Old 01-07-2007, 12:32 AM

i got to se him play and to meet him at Drummerlive event in uk and he was amazing
Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 PM

Tomas Haake is such a machine. The dude is nuts and blows me away on almost all of his songs. Not to change the subject but if your into the polyrythmic drumming scene and what not, try checking out Textures, their drummer Stef Broks is like a jazz version of Tomas Haake. And another dude you should listen to is Misha Mansoor, i posted something on him earlier but no one really seems to be intrested. Check out this page, listen to atleast like 10 songs, they're all short clips but freaking awesome. He uses drum programming for some of his songs, but he can also play the songs on a real set so, thats pretty sweet.

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/0...?BandID=147108
Old 01-10-2007, 07:50 PM

Someone posted some Catch33 footage with excellent audio.
Haake nails it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmsVxn8d4k
Old 01-10-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skameron831 View Post
Tomas Haake is such a machine. The dude is nuts and blows me away on almost all of his songs. Not to change the subject but if your into the polyrythmic drumming scene and what not, try checking out Textures, their drummer Stef Broks is like a jazz version of Tomas Haake. And another dude you should listen to is Misha Mansoor, i posted something on him earlier but no one really seems to be intrested. Check out this page, listen to atleast like 10 songs, they're all short clips but freaking awesome. He uses drum programming for some of his songs, but he can also play the songs on a real set so, thats pretty sweet.

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/0...?BandID=147108
Bulb(Misha) is the man! Amazing guitar player and a great drummer as well. I enjoy Textures a bit as well but not as much as I enjoy Meshuggah
Old 01-18-2007, 09:47 PM

Check out the Tomas Haake video footage from Drummer Live 2006.

http://vicfirth.com/features/drummerlive06.html

You'll need Quick Time to view it and choose HQ for high quality. 3 Videos to choose from, just scroll down a little bit.

Also Tomas Haake signature series sticks are going to be released soon!
Old 01-29-2007, 03:06 AM

Hey everyone, i'm new here so go easy on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedup View Post
Anyone else use DFH for any programming that I can hear, cause I'd like to hear it's use outside of the Meshuggah realm.
we actually used DFH to record our tracks since we still cant record live drums, i know my nickname will show up as a guitarist on our page but i'm actually learning drums now. I know this person asked for anyone who uses DFH a very long time ago but wat the hell... check out : www.myspace.com/smoulderinginforgotten

btw, the music is black metal so expect lots of screaming n stuff like that.

And someone else mentioned something about the DFH sample on "http://www.toontrack.com/dfh_superior.asp" , the sample called Sonor Of Metal is actually an extract from a song called Vanished (track 5 of Destroy Erase Improve)... the other one is pretty clear: The Superior Licking What You've Bled... check out chaosphere track 5

Last edited by Busac; 01-29-2007 at 03:17 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshuggah1324 View Post
Some Meshuggah news on their record label's web site...

http://www.nuclearblast.de/news_inde...top=7&a_page=7

A new Meshuggah CD in spring of next year would be nice!

And HAAKE and LOVGREN are doing some Swedish clinics right now:

Nov. 15 - Örebro B-salen, Folkets hus, Gamla gatan 27
Nov. 16 - Karlskoga Musikhuset Vallmovägen.9
Nov. 22 - Göteborg Sticky Fingers
Nov. 24 - Borlänge
Nov. 25 - Gävle 15.00, Musikhuset/Sjömanskyrkan, St Esplanadgatan 1
Nov. 27 - Falköping Lilla Teatern, Dotorpsgatan 13
Nov. 28 - Motala
Nov. 30 - Stockholm 20.00, Street, Hornstulls Strand 9
The clinic in Örebro was grrrrrreat!
I have a thread w/ pics in the General Section.
Very nice guy!
Old 02-18-2007, 05:06 PM

Well I'm finally gonna get in on this. Tomas Haake is a genius. This band is absolutely brilliant. They are brutal, technical, and manage to groove through it all. I saw somebody mention how quite abit of their stuff is in 4/4, and yes this seems to be the case (but while some is in 4/4, there is still alot that isn't). But the things they do over 4 beats... its amazing. It seems to me that there is some use of various permutations throughout, taking rhythmic figures over the bar-line and toying with your mind as you listen in a stupor.

This band never ceases to amaze me. I've only really messed with learning a few songs by Meshuggah, however, such as Stengah, Closed Eye Visuals, and Shed (after learning Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater, some of Meshuggah's stuff doesn't seem too bad but there are some songs that I still won't even venture into =P)
Old 02-19-2007, 11:37 PM

Tomas Haake makes listening to drums exciting. His rhythmic sense is second to none. Power, groove, independence...
Old 02-24-2007, 11:09 PM

New video clips from the Bass N' Drum Festival 2006.

Scroll down just a bit once you click on the link. Tomas has 3 video clips and he's second below Zoro. Haake also has his own signature stick now.

http://www.vicfirth.com/features/bass-n-drum06.html

&

http://www.vicfirth.com/features/bass-n-drums06/02.jpg

http://www.vicfirth.com/features/bass-n-drums06/09.jpg
Old 02-25-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Scroll down just a bit once you click on the link. Tomas has 3 video clips and he's second below Zoro. Haake also has his own signature stick now.

Those video's are really great, Tomas' playing is so fluid and and precise... I was really suprised his second cymbal stand w/ stacker didn't fall off the podium in the 3rd video... anyways, I would upload these to youtube like I did with the 3 video's of him and Dick playing at DrummerLive, but part 2 and 3 are too big, and window's movie maker (it's the only program I have) doesn't support .mov because it's apple...

here are the direct link's to the video's, great watch, very suspenseful when you can see his headphones slipping off!

http://www.vicfirth.com/features/bas...ckholm_1HQ.mov
http://www.vicfirth.com/features/bas...ckholm_2HQ.mov
http://www.vicfirth.com/features/bas...ckholm_3HQ.mov
Old 02-25-2007, 12:01 PM

Wow, isn't that second video Stengah?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Vic Firth doesn't love to see their Videos on You Tube....

oh oh oh.....

I see very BIG TROUBLE coming up very very soon...

Bernhard
Old 02-28-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedup View Post
War, on Rare Trax, is actually programmed using samples from his set, using the Drumkit From Hell. But yeah, the drum sound on the track is incredible.

Anyone else use DFH for any programming that I can hear, cause I'd like to hear it's use outside of the Meshuggah realm.

-Cris

Hey, I use DFH for all my computer related solo stuff. I'm still learning how to get good sound and everything from it, but I get better with it every time I make a new song. So people check out my songs at www.myspace.com/charlesurich and tell me what you think. Any constructive criticism or DFH tips would be greatly apprectiated.

BTW, They don't call it the Drumkit from Hell for nothing. I freakin eats my computer! I can't even listen to what I work on unless I export it as an Mp3!

Charles

Last edited by charlesurich; 01-28-2008 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:06 AM

Here are some updates on Meshuggah's new album which is due out this fall (September perhaps) and other random but confirmed Meshuggah info. Haake is back on drums...

Source: http://www.meshuggah.net/news/

"Yup, it’s us again already!! (Oh, that soon!? -you think) We know you guys think we update this site way too often and that our continous “super-flux” of information is a bit too much for all y’all to handle!!

Well, here’s yet another little tidbit for your over-full mouths and minds to nibble on:

As you’ve already read and/or heard from other places than the source from where, in a perfect world, you should have heard it (i.e this site) that we’re writing for coming album and we’re just about to start recording!

This album will rock your flee-ridden socks off! (that is - if you let it) We’re aiming at a fall release, hopefully september!

Doing some Euro/Scandinavian festivals this summer, starting late june through august, so check the tour schedule over the next few weeks as dates will be posted there!"

"Another little something for you drummers out there!

Vic Firth has released a Tomas Haake signature stick! It should be readily available in stores, at least in the U.S! If it's not available at your local store in Europe yet, it will be within the next few weeks/months!

It’s fairly big stick, but really well balanced! So all you guys who play like 5B/2B or bigger size sticks should check these babies out!!"

Source: Revolver Magazine December 2006 issue -

"Their 2005 album, the 47-minute one-song opus "Catch Thirtythree", featured programed beats and repetitive rhythms, but Swedish metal mathematicians MESHUGGAH are bringing neither back for the as-yet-untitled follow-up, reports Revolver magazine (web site). Instead, they're returning to the pummeling double bass drums and angular riffage that defined their early material to sculpt what they say will be their most savage, eclectic offering yet. "We've got some fast, intense songs and hectic, heavy stuff that draws from all the things we've done in the past," says drummer Tomas Haake. "It's so great to actually be playing drums again."
Old 04-08-2007, 03:21 PM

Does anyone have the latest issue of DRUMMER Magazine (UK based)? It's got an interview with Tomas Haake.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:47 AM

I think Tomas is done or close to being done recording the the drum tracks for Meshuggah's new album which is due out later this fall.

They're playing a few European festivals this summer:

Kauhajoki, Finland Jun 22, Nummirock
Borlänge, Sweden Jun 29, Peace & Love
Gothenburg, Sweden Jun 30, Metaltown
Kristiansand, Norway Jul 02, Quart Festival
Bergum, Holland Jul 07, Waldrock
Salzhaus, Switzerland Jul 08, Winthertur
Novi Sad, Serbia Jul 12, Exit Festival
Venice, Italy Jul 14, Frozen Rock Open Air
Old 11-28-2007, 05:33 AM

I've seen this guy's name pop up a lot since I've been surfing drum forums. I checked out their website and listened to the MP3 segments, and I like the sound.

You Meshuggah fans: which do you consider their best album, if I were going to buy one? (To start with.)
Old 11-28-2007, 05:47 AM

He does play some insane stuff... Like an orchestra of artillery and machine guns, in places...
Old 11-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Gilded

Quote:

&

http://www.vicfirth.com/features/bass-n-drums06/02.jpg

http://www.vicfirth.com/features/bass-n-drums06/09.jpg
That third link is very eeire, I don't like it.
But I like the Sonor in 2nd link
Old 06-03-2008, 07:31 PM

I respect Tomas Haake and the guys of Meshuggah to the highest extent. I think that they don't just create music, but an experience, a world all their own. Their vocalist Jens described it as writing colors, not music. And I completely agree, especially the way Tomas plays. Everything from his incredible endurance on double bass to his complete knowledge of every note that the band plays, expecting each off-time rhythm. He's a master of his art.

And if you want to see a damn good groove, look up "Straws Pulled At Random".
Old 07-18-2008, 06:00 PM
ThisSpitefulSnake

Tomas Haake is insane. He has influenced me so much. I love the band too though, the 7 and 8 strings sound awesome. It's starting to influence me to learn to play guitar. Yeah, Straws Pulled At Random is crazy stuff.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 PM

New Tomas Haake drum cam footage:

Bleed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap7Z5S6yTZM

Pravus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsRvYFr9tYw
Old 08-03-2008, 02:08 PM

Favorite Meshuggah tunes:

Future Breed Machine
New Millenium Cyanide...
Neurotica
Bleed
Electric Red

These guys never cease to amaze.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:25 AM
ThisSpitefulSnake

ALL!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:46 AM

You got a point, Snake.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Penebaker View Post

Future Breed Machine
New Millenium Cyanide...
Neurotica
Bleed
Electric Red
I second ;)
Old 09-14-2008, 12:25 PM
lewisn27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotica View Post
Haake f*cking rules! He's crazy. Absolutely not standard thinking. Creative mind. Olny he can create that polyrythmic stuff. I just love it. I wish I could play like him. I really love Meshuggah. And Tomas is the first drummer for me. He and Chris Adler. Those are two ppl I'd give really much for them to teach me.
tomas is not the only person who can create the ployrythmic stuff, who ever writes the meshuggah song writes the drum parts, fact.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:12 AM

I've read many interviews with a member of Meshuggah and some metal journalist. Often, the journalist is assuming that Meshuggah's songs are in odd time when the fact is that over 95% of what they do is straight 4/4 with odd phrases being played over the bar line.
It's interesting that only select musicians and especially drummers "get" what's going on in their music. Yet they're heavy and industrial enough to have the widespread appeal that they do.
I even saw a transcription of some Meshuggah patterns in either Drum or Modern Drummer magazine and they were in odd time mostly. A definite mistake.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:39 PM

Saw Meshuggah live in Glasgow Garage, and they blew me away. Tomas Haakes power behind the kit fits in perfectly with the low tuned crunch of the guitars.

I was just disapointed with the length of the set. They only played for the best of an hour!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:31 PM
ThisSpitefulSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbirdsoup View Post
Saw Meshuggah live in Glasgow Garage, and they blew me away. Tomas Haakes power behind the kit fits in perfectly with the low tuned crunch of the guitars.

I was just disapointed with the length of the set. They only played for the best of an hour!
Yeah, I love them! I really want to see them and meet them. I love the unique sound they have, takes loads of talent too.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Penebaker View Post
I even saw a transcription of some Meshuggah patterns in either Drum or Modern Drummer magazine and they were in odd time mostly. A definite mistake.
Ja. I used to think Combustion was in 6/8 based on guitar tabs, but it's 4/4 through and through.