DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-16-2006, 10:54 AM

Default CRASH HipGig Kit

Welcome to my Crappy Rotton Awful Stinkin' Homemade (CRASH) HipGig Kit

I've been thinking about purchasing one of the trendy HipGig kits lately. Yamaha, Sonor, Gretsch all have these mini-BeBop kits. Well, since I have a limited budget...I decided to make my own. Some others that have posted here have given me the inspiration.

This kit was assembled from old used misc drums and hardware that I've had lying around for 20+ years. The only new piece is the 8X10 Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Nouv. tom. All of the rest are old crappy rotton drums that have been sitting in this 100yr old basement for the last 10yrs...And yes, we do get water down here when it rains.

So, here's the specs:

8X10 Yamaha Stage Custom Adv. Nouv.
9X13 Yamaha Concert Tom
16X16 Crap Bass Drum (old T-shirt used for muffling)
51/2X14 Ludwig (Student) Snare Drum 80's vintage

16" Zildjian Crash/Ride
10" Zildjian Crah
14" Avanti Hi-Hats

DW5000 BD Pedal
Misc HW

Note: The bass drum is lying on the floor. There is no riser or mounts. The BD Pedal is free standing. You would think either one of these would be moving all over the place. However, to my surprise this is not the case. The pedal has a large platform and spurs to keep it snug to the rug. The BD is held in place by the the rug and friction. Also, note that I moved down the beater position by about 1.5 inches. So, the beater strickes the bass drum a little high, but seems to be just fine.

Pics:
Name:  DSC00904.jpg
Views: 2989
Size:  77.7 KB
Name:  DSC00905.jpg
Views: 2801
Size:  75.6 KB
Name:  DSC00906.jpg
Views: 2730
Size:  73.1 KB
Name:  DSC00907.jpg
Views: 2741
Size:  58.1 KB
Name:  DSC00908.jpg
Views: 2773
Size:  67.9 KB

Future Improvements:
1. Get a smaller snare. Either a 5X10 or 5X12. I'm thinking piccolo or popcorn. I was looking at the Diable DDrum 5X10 for $60....
2. Hand hammer the hi-hats and the crash/ride. This would be experimental. I like what I see on the cymbal hammering thread and want to try it on these crappy cymbals.
3. Get some hoops for the BD and make it look like a real bass drum. Add some kind of riser.
4. Get some better stands. These are all overkill and too heavy for a hipgig kit.

So, thanks for looking and let me know what you think about this CRASH HipGig kit.

-Murph
Old 11-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: CRASH HipGig Kit

I have used a 16x16 floor tom as a kick before and I did not need to build a riser for it either. Instead, I used a bass hoop on the batter side so my kick pedal would have something to attach to. I also had to lower the beater a bit. While it did strike the head a little higher than center, it was just fine. I am also using a DW 5000 pedal. I agree it does not move away once the spikes are down. I also had some removable kick spurs on the front of that 16 though.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

Isn't that an Acrolite Ludwig snare you got there? Looks to me like one with an olive badge.
I have that same snare, I like the Acrolite sound.
Sorry off topic.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

I see I have inspired you with my small accoustic setup :)

Glad you found my idea to serve you aswell :)

Nice setup, I dig the snare !!! How does it sound ? Satisfied ?

Keep rollin' dude !

My Kit Latest Update
Old 11-16-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomda View Post
Isn't that an Acrolite Ludwig snare you got there? Looks to me like one with an olive badge.
I have that same snare, I like the Acrolite sound.
Sorry off topic.
Yep, that's an Acrolite. It needs a new head doesn't it? It's not really the right snare for this kit. Too big and loud. I'm going to get a smaller one made out of maple or mahagony. I also should've mentioned I'm going to buy all new heads for this kit. Remo coated ambassadors probably.

Sleepy Bright Eyes, good idea for the BD. I'll probably get hoops for both sides and the front spike like you mention.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
I see I have inspired you with my small accoustic setup :)

Glad you found my idea to serve you aswell :)

Nice setup, I dig the snare !!! How does it sound ? Satisfied ?

Keep rollin' dude !
Yes, mind drummer. You inspired me. Thanks! I like the snare, but it's too loud/big for this kit as I've mentioned. When my wife's not looking I'm going to buy a smaller one ;-)
Old 11-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphinelli View Post
Yes, mind drummer. You inspired me. Thanks! I like the snare, but it's too loud/big for this kit as I've mentioned. When my wife's not looking I'm going to buy a smaller one ;-)
AH AH AH ! Obviously, she's not the one taking care & holding your financial statements because she will eventually know it !!!

My Kit Latest Update
Old 11-16-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
AH AH AH ! Obviously, she's not the one taking care & holding your financial statements because she will eventually know it !!!
Cash. Cold hard cash... Can't be traced....;-)
Old 11-16-2006, 04:12 PM

So, for this crappy kit, I'm looking to buy one of these crappy snares. They look to be in the $60 -$120 range. Any thoughts on this crappiness?

This one is maple 5X10 and about $100.
Name:  5f_1.jpeg
Views: 2621
Size:  24.8 KB

This one is 9 ply mahogony 5X10 (advertized as a side snare...) and about $60
Name:  d4_1.jpeg
Views: 2638
Size:  16.6 KB
Old 11-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Pioneer Member

Nice job murph! It's nice to have a kit that you can literally throw in your trunk and leave overnight during the winter... How's it sound? Also, you should seriously get some wodden rims for the bass. That would look.... "Like SOOOOO totally hot" LOL
Old 11-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Cool little set! I especially like how everything is kept low because it gives the audience good views of the drummer.

Yes, it's cobbled together, but it has a lot more character and attitude than a lot of the brand-new Tamaha and Gretschland and Pearlwig stuff we see.

Ironwood drum set at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18719

www.terrasonus.com
Old 11-16-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
Nice job murph! It's nice to have a kit that you can literally throw in your trunk and leave overnight during the winter... How's it sound? Also, you should seriously get some wodden rims for the bass. That would look.... "Like SOOOOO totally hot" LOL
Thanks Garvin. It sounds pretty good. Not great, but good enough. I think new heads and new snare will help a bit. The wooden rims are definately a cool idea!

-Murph
Old 11-17-2006, 10:22 PM

Well.... the CRASH acroynm is going to have to be rethunk. I've just raped and pillaged my main set and turned this HipGig set into my main set. It now contains all of the Yamaha Custom Stage Advantage Nouv. pieces, except for the 22" BD.

Also brought in my 20" Medium ride and Zildjian Hi-hats. So....It's not crappy anymore!

I'm going to find some hoops for the 16" BD. Maybe wooden?...And I'll probably keep the Yamaha Snare with it for a while.

Anyways, when I get new heads on it and the BD hoop, I'll post some new pictures.

I still want to bang a hammer on a cymbal to make it sound better....I probably need an anvil first...Maybe craigslist will have one....

Let's see what should CRASH stand for now?...

Cheers,
Off to the Outer Banks
Old 11-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Gold Member

You guys have me wanted to make one too! curse you!

dude both are good ideas. i bet it sounds on the weird side tho.

Sounds perfect for my hiphop venture.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 11-21-2006, 01:57 AM
Silver Member

That´s one small bass drum you´ve got there :P
Old 12-12-2006, 08:27 PM

That ain't small compared to some bass drums I've seen...

We'll I'm still waiting on parts for the damn Pearl JG-16 Jungle Gig adapter...I have this:
Name:  tec0007b.jpeg
Views: 3660
Size:  15.1 KB

But still am waiting for the ISS part of this. Which is on back order from Pearl....!!!!!%^$%^&!!!

Name:  tec0007c.jpeg
Views: 2424
Size:  19.8 KB

And I'd like to take this piece of excellent drum equipment

Name:  Chuck-Taylor-All-Star-Hi-Leather-black_199__ALLSTHILEA-BLK_20.jpeg
Views: 2137
Size:  3.7 KB

and kick Musician's Friend in the arse. They never said it wasn't available until I already placed the order!!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

i love that setup!! this is meant to be a great cradle, far exceeding the DW. http://www.damicodrums.com/new_cradle.htm hope that helps.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomodrum1 View Post
i love that setup!! this is meant to be a great cradle, far exceeding the DW. http://www.damicodrums.com/new_cradle.htm hope that helps.
yep, i considered that one and the dw. that one is too heavy duty. the dw one, although i've heard good things about it, just looked a little too much like an upsidedown spider. i hear the dw is good for just about any type of drum though. like even a snare drum used with a kick....

thanks. as soon as i get the famous ISS piece, i'll put my set back together and post some pics here. all the old crappy toms will be replaced with newer ones...i'm in the process of re-finishing the old crappy ones. stripped down the hw and now will take off the wrap. i plan on staining it and putting them back together. probably with new hardware. i'm also thinking of powder coating my ludwig acrolite snare which i saw someone do on the pearl forum. looks awesome with a gold or silver vein powder coat.

cheers,
murph
Old 12-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

can you just buy the wraps for drums??id love to re-wrap mine lol.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomodrum1 View Post
can you just buy the wraps for drums??id love to re-wrap mine lol.
i've thought about wraps...but have seen the nice job some people here have done with stains/finishes....i think it would be easier to screw up a wrap job than a stain. i'm afraid of winding up with wrinkles and it coming unwrapped again & looking like crap...

with a finish you can test it out until you get the color/stain you like...

-murph
Old 12-24-2006, 11:21 AM

Well......a big two thumbs down for Musician's Friend...

I got yet another email from them saying the ISS mount is backordered and won't be delivered for at least 30 days...I've already waited almost 20...

What is going on here? Pearl can't make enough ISS mounts?

The other thing that peevs me is that Musican's Friend is also sending me an email (from the CEO ) with a $10 off coupon for purchases over $50!!!!! Yeah right!!!

I am seriously considering cancelling this whole order and shipping back the parts of this riser I've already received. And I ain't paying for shipping!!!!

AND I'm not buying anything else from Musician's Friend. It's not their fault that Pearl can't deliever the mount. But it is their fault that they didn't state the availability when I ordered it and it is their audacity to send me this $10 off BS...How about the ISS mount for FREE and a $50 gift certificate for my troubles!!!!!????

Bah Humbug!!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Murph'sHipGigKit

Cancelled my Musician's Friend order on this Pearl drum riser. Not worth the wait. Pearl evidently has issues manufacturing/supplying the ISS mounts....Whatever, enough is enough! In the meantime, I've decided I want a riser that can be used on both metal hoops and wooden hoops. Eventually I'm going to convert to wooden hoops.

Ordered the Danmar from Drummaker.com

Name:  5875b.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  11.8 KB

It's in the mail a day after I ordered! Should have done this a while ago. My current bass drum riser is a stack of beach towels...works okay, but the BD moves around a little too much....Does help to improve your technique/touch on the BD pedal.

I'll post new pictures when I get this riser. Here's the new HipGig Kit.
thanks,
murph

p.s. just noticed Danmar introduced a "black" version of this riser in case you're interested...i would've gotten this one if they had it listed 3 days ago! good ole irish luck 'eh? or murphy's law once again...

Last edited by murphinelli; 01-13-2007 at 12:14 PM. Reason: link to new kit