DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Tony Williams

One question. Does anyone know what stick he used? Can't find information on his gear anywhere.

Last edited by DogBreath; 01-16-2007 at 05:33 AM. Reason: edited after merging threads
Old 01-05-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
One question. Does anyone know what stick he used? Can't find information on his gear anywhere.

the zildj. tony williams signature stick of course.. =)

big pretty yellow gretsch drums 22 bd, what looked like 12, 13, 14, 16, and 18 inc toms.

prettiest set of drums ever until he went ronald mcdonald w/ the red rims and lugs.

Last edited by DogBreath; 01-16-2007 at 05:33 AM. Reason: edited after merging threads
Old 01-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Pioneer Member

Ok I didn't know what brand of stick his was and now that I know it's a Zildjian, I probably won't try it out. And I saw an advertisement on his myspace page that he once played DW drums and I knew he played Gretsch, but didn't know what line. Assuming he played Zildjian, did he play constantinoples or K's?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Ok I didn't know what brand of stick his was and now that I know it's a Zildjian, I probably won't try it out. And I saw an advertisement on his myspace page that he once played DW drums and I knew he played Gretsch, but didn't know what line. Assuming he played Zildjian, did he play constantinoples or K's?
ooops, i got caught...yeah the ronald mcdonald set were his dws. i was soooo surprised to hear he jumped ship from gretsch, btw. when he was playing gretsch, it was before gretsch offered different lines. they only had one, the expensive line.

i believe he just played Ks period. obviously the 60s cymbals were 60s formula ks and i believe he just stuck w/ your run of the mill k brands ever since. i could be mistaken. i have a zildjian "they speak w/ their hands" cd that had his current (@ that time) cymbal lineup and i will check and post back later today.

you dont like zildjian sticks?

i love their brushes.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Pioneer Member

On Zildjian's site it says he played a mixture of K's, A custom's and A's. Here's the link, check it out.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
He played Gretsch up until just before his last recording, 'Young at Heart' where he played an awful sounding (and looking) DW set. Apprently they did those set colours as a joke and Tony dug it and kept it.

His Gretsches before that were everything from Broadkasters back in the 60's to likely USA Custom in the 90's.

As for Tony's cymbals? Heh, yeah, Old K's, many famous ones. In the 60's he used an 18" and a 22".

The 70's a 20" and a 22" (at least, sometimes more like another 18")

in the 80's he started using some modern Z's like A's and modern K's and expanded his set up too, I think something like 18" crash, 15" or 16" crash, 22" ride, 18" crash (all in this photo).

He also used 15" hats for most of his career too, I think. To my knowledge he never ever played a K Con, just K's and A's with his ride after 1980 being either a modern K or an A of some sort.

edit- don't take Z's site's word, we've been down that road before. Look at pics and videos instead and see for yourself. That said, that setup on Z's site looks pretty close to his last one.
G

Last edited by jazzgregg; 01-05-2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Pioneer Member

Oh right, fair enough, I'll be more distrusting of Z's site from now on :-)
Old 01-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Pioneer Member

Thanks for the info. I've never liked Zildjian sticks. They break way too easily, but, I may try out his stick just because it is Tony Williams.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursticks View Post
Oh right, fair enough, I'll be more distrusting of Z's site from now on :-)
It isn't that, it's that somewhere on this site, I remember getting into a conversation about how they put up like say, Art Blakey's set up, when half of the stuff they have him listed as using wasn't invented yet. They furthermore say stuff like 'would have used' and so on. Just don't trust everything they put up for dead guys, that's all. They tend to try and cash in on their historical endorsers alot and sometimes (purposefully) mislead you in the process.

G
Old 01-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Pioneer Member

Yeah, I know what you mean, no worries. Thanks for the info anyway!
Old 01-06-2007, 12:16 AM

What size of sticks did Tony use back when he was playing with Miles...?
Old 01-06-2007, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgregg View Post
He played Gretsch up until just before his last recording, 'Young at Heart' where he played an awful sounding (and looking) DW set. Apprently they did those set colours as a joke and Tony dug it and kept it.

His Gretsches before that were everything from Broadkasters back in the 60's to likely USA Custom in the 90's.

As for Tony's cymbals? Heh, yeah, Old K's, many famous ones. In the 60's he used an 18" and a 22".

The 70's a 20" and a 22" (at least, sometimes more like another 18")

in the 80's he started using some modern Z's like A's and modern K's and expanded his set up too, I think something like 18" crash, 15" or 16" crash, 22" ride, 18" crash (all in this photo).

He also used 15" hats for most of his career too, I think. To my knowledge he never ever played a K Con, just K's and A's with his ride after 1980 being either a modern K or an A of some sort.

edit- don't take Z's site's word, we've been down that road before. Look at pics and videos instead and see for yourself. That said, that setup on Z's site looks pretty close to his last one.
G
Glad to know I'm not the only one who hated the sound of those DWs Tony played towards the end of his life.

My jazz cherry was popped listening to my dad's lp of "Four and More". The speed, precision and intensity of Tony's ride cymbal floored me. Soon after I had my own copy of "Four and More" and "Miles Smiles" and never looked back. A few years later my dad took me to hear Tony with his jazz quintet and I was floored again: who on earth played with such fire, such clarity, such originality??? The man could peel paint at 30 yards....

Tony's been my drum idol ever since.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: did everyone forget TONY FRIGGIN WILLIAMS?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins View Post
Yup. Maybe that's why there's no thread?

Tony Williams?

The greatest drummer ever to hold the sticks.

That's my opinion anyway.

"Only once in a millenium does one come along as prophetic as this one."
Herbie Hancock. 'Tony Williams'.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:03 AM

Great news for Tony Williams fans...

http://abstractlogix.com/xcart/produ...roductid=23037
Old 07-09-2007, 05:44 AM
Silver Member

I've been listening to some Seven Steps to Heaven, among other Miles albums with Tony, and I've been trying to recreate some of the things I'm hearing but I just can't do it. I can't ride like him, what is he doing? I heard it was a push-pull technique but I need more information. So can anyone break down Tony's technique?

I don't know if this has been discussed before but this thread needs a bump anyways. Tony Tony Tony. I'm fascinated.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

One of the true masters and innovators.Has inluenced countless generations of players and always had a sense of growth and personal development regarding his approach and playing right up to the tragic end of his life.

Saw him play several times from a small club to large concert halls. Always knocked me out with his level of clarity and intent and aggressive approach. I like the drums played with a degree of serious intent and conviction and Tony was the living model for me of those attribrutes well blending a deep musical approach and swing.

Met him on a ferry trip back from Vancouver Island after a night his quintet played in a small club in Victoria well heading back over to the mainland for another show in Vancouver that evening which I caught too. There he was smoking a big Cuban cigar on the outdoor top sundeck on the ferry and yes folks I seized the moment to meet and speak and thank the man that had truly inspired me for staying on my path and concept as a professional musician right up to even today well past his untimely death.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 07-09-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure if someone has already provided a link to this but here's some terrific live concert footage around the time period I previously mentioned in my last post:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...72579095735&hl

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-09-2007, 08:31 PM

wow google vids is a treasure trove
Old 07-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
One of the true masters and innovators.Has inluenced countless generations of players and always had a sense of growth and personal development regarding his approach and playing right up to the tragic end of his life.

Saw him play several times from a small club to large concert halls. Always knocked me out with his level of clarity and intent and aggressive approach. I like the drums played with a degree of serious intent and conviction and Tony was the living model for me of those attribrutes well blending a deep musical approach and swing.

Met him on a ferry trip back from Vancouver Island after a night his quintet played in a small club in Victoria well heading back over to the mainland for another show in Vancouver that evening which I caught too. There he was smoking a big Cuban cigar on the outdoor top sundeck on the ferry and yes folks I seized the moment to meet and speak and thank the man that had truly inspired me for staying on my path and concept as a professional musician right up to even today well past his untimely death.
Don't leave it at there! What did he say!?!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

What led up to me going up and meeting him was a bit funny. I was coming back on the 11:AM ferry sailing sitting upstairs listening to of all things "Sister Cheryl" one my favorite TW compositions on my Sony Walkman Pro on headphones when I looked out the window recovering from my hangover from the after celebration of hearing him from 20 ft away in a small club the night before and there sat the very man himself enjoying a bit of sun and a Cuban cigar. I gained my strength and headed outside and walked up and introduced myself as a professional drummer and thanked him for his significant contributions to music,drumming,and composing. We talked briefly about the show the following evening and how much he was enjoying the tour with his current band and his new material they were playing. Pretty short and sweet really and didn't want to interrupt his relaxing moment to much and honestly I was a little nervous too meeting the man who's playing I loved and amired so much. Just a general thank you from me for everything he had brought to music and drumming. He was very nice guy too with no big star attitude or anything like that as I remember. Short but special moment I will always remember and treasure.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 07-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Thanks for sharing that, from what I've seen of him speaking on interviews he seems like a really nice and funny guy. I'm glad you have a memory like that of one of the world's best drummers to cherish.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:59 AM
Platinum Member

Bump.

So lately I've been obsessing over Tony. After reading about how he at a young age tried to imitate his idols as closely as he could, I decided I would try imitating Tony's playing style. Just starting with the "basics"... It is really something to try holding the drumsticks like Tony did. As soon as you understand his technique in regards to holding the drumsticks, you can feel this immense control over your playing.

I've been trying to work up my chops playing like Tony. More specifically, holding with the back two fingers near the very butt end and using the whole arm while playing. It's kind of interesting how his technique didn't rely on rebound. In that way Tony was very exact and precise. I've begun to fall in love with his playing style.

It's a shame how difficult it is to find Tony's records for sale over the internet. The best I can find for the majority of his solo work are used copies going for ridiculous prices because of their rarity.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:32 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

I'll never be able to pay my debt to this man.

A true artist.

Great to see such great admiration for him in this thread.

Gary Husband
Old 06-09-2008, 04:00 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Plus..

Found some incredible footage of the maestro I have never seen before on YouTube this morning.

Thought to alert everyone in the thread. Enjoy....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nn12GUIijBQ

GH
Old 06-10-2008, 01:35 PM

Amazing footage, thanks so much for finding that!!!

Now, if anyone can find footage of his group with John Mclaughlin, Larry Young & Jack Bruce I will have died & gone to Heaven!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:46 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook View Post
Amazing footage, thanks so much for finding that!!!

Now, if anyone can find footage of his group with John Mclaughlin, Larry Young & Jack Bruce I will have died & gone to Heaven!!!

Yes that would indeed be a pretty wonderful treat!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Plus..

Found some incredible footage of the maestro I have never seen before on YouTube this morning.

Thought to alert everyone in the thread. Enjoy....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nn12GUIijBQ

GH

That's a great clip Gary i've never seen before and with Larry Young on organ to boot. Some totally killer Tony!

Many thanks!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 06-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

I just got in the mail a shipment from a private seller that I found via Amazon. It's a cassette tape of Tony's record Angel Street. Luckily, my parents *do* still have a cassette player in the house, after all they're not that old, and man what a great album it is. I'm in the process of transferring it to digital through my dad's computer. I wish blue note would reissue some of his hard-to-find albums. Great music, and of course Tony's playing is top-notch.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

hearing about gettin lessons from tony makes me deprssed!!
he was in the top 3 best ever drummers...in any type of music for me......for me its elvin jones, then tony

iv been getting lessons for the past 9 years off a retired jazz pro.....but id love to have really great drummers in my area....but i live in cork city, ireland....all the bets are in america!
Old 06-11-2009, 01:19 PM

Default Cuban Cigars.

- According to my view if you have newly found your interest in cigar then getting right taste may be bit tougher task for you. When new cigars arrive, take a good look at them. Two things to look out for at this point: excessive dryness; excessive moistness. Another thing to keep in mind: if youíre keeping your cigars in the humidor over a long period, it makes a lot of sense to rotate them every few months. There is a myth about flavor amongst layman that every Cuban Cigars uses same tobacco and hence has same flavor. However, the reality is perfectly different. There is a broad variety of tobacco and its flavor as well you can gain adequate information about connoisseur of fine cigar from your nearest cigar shop. It does not matter whether the shopkeeper smokes or not.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Cuban Cigars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george18 View Post
- According to my view if you have newly found your interest in cigar then getting right taste may be bit tougher task for you. When new cigars arrive, take a good look at them. Two things to look out for at this point: excessive dryness; excessive moistness. Another thing to keep in mind: if youíre keeping your cigars in the humidor over a long period, it makes a lot of sense to rotate them every few months. There is a myth about flavor amongst layman that every Cuban Cigars uses same tobacco and hence has same flavor. However, the reality is perfectly different. There is a broad variety of tobacco and its flavor as well you can gain adequate information about connoisseur of fine cigar from your nearest cigar shop. It does not matter whether the shopkeeper smokes or not.
NOT IN THE TONY THREAD!!! ANYWHERE BUT HERE!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:36 PM

Can anyone recommend some of Tony's best work? I have Nefertiti, and I know he plays on that. I also might have some other stuff that he plays on and I just don't know it
Old 06-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andSometimesY View Post
Can anyone recommend some of Tony's best work? I have Nefertiti, and I know he plays on that. I also might have some other stuff that he plays on and I just don't know it
You should check out Four and More, Miles Smiles, ESP, The Sorcerer, really anything with the Miles Quintet when he was playing with Herbie, Ron, and Wayne (for the most part). Also check out his own CD Emergency with John McLaughlin and Larry Young. One of my favorite albums with Tony on it though has to be Eric Dolphy's Out To Lunch, beautiful record. The Herbie albums Empyrean Isles and Maiden Voyage are great as well. And another one of my personal favorites is a Jackie McLean album called Destination Out. Grachan Moncur IIIs album Evolution is great too. Theres a ton of great Tony out there.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Cuban Cigars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89 View Post
NOT IN THE TONY THREAD!!! ANYWHERE BUT HERE!

Its ok, Britt.. Tony loved cigars. Especially afro Cuban ones ; )
Old 08-18-2009, 03:30 PM

Default video removed by user?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
That's a great clip Gary i've never seen before and with Larry Young on organ to boot. Some totally killer Tony!

Many thanks!
video removed by user?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:18 PM

Anyone know of a video of Tony playing 'Fred'?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89 View Post
You should check out Four and More, Miles Smiles, ESP, The Sorcerer, really anything with the Miles Quintet when he was playing with Herbie, Ron, and Wayne (for the most part). Also check out his own CD Emergency with John McLaughlin and Larry Young. One of my favorite albums with Tony on it though has to be Eric Dolphy's Out To Lunch, beautiful record. The Herbie albums Empyrean Isles and Maiden Voyage are great as well. And another one of my personal favorites is a Jackie McLean album called Destination Out. Grachan Moncur IIIs album Evolution is great too. Theres a ton of great Tony out there.
Dude - I agree, especially about Out To Lunch, but Destination Out! has Roy Haynes on it, not Tony.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Pioneer Member

Oh my god youre completely right, I guess I was thinking vertigo of something, or not thinking at all. Destination out is a badd album regardless, Roy's the man.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:23 PM

Definatly one of the greatest drummers of all time! Thats why Miles Davis wanted him when he was only 17. Can you imagine playing with Miles when you're 17 year old.......
Old 09-04-2009, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Tony Williams - Fred

Does anyone have a transcription of the main groove for "Fred". I have seen clips of Tony, Chad, and Gary doing it live and of course have about worn the vinyl off of the original recording but I would ike to learn it and am having trouble getting it on my own.

Any help out there? Gary maybe?

Thanks in advance and respect to all!

Jiva