DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-16-2006, 10:58 PM

Default help finding a double pedal connecting shaft?

I recently bought a used DW 5000 accelrator double off of ebay, knowing the whole time that there was no connecting shaft included in the auction. I (incorrectly) assumed that like every other company, DW would have 'D' shaped ends on the drive shafts. Not so, I found out today... DW's ends are square.

I looked at gibraltar, tama, pearl, yamaha and dixon connecting shafts today and none of them will work.

My question right now is this: I'm wondering if someone out there with a newer DW pedal (only one side support on the slave pedal) can tell me if the ends of the connecting shaft are square, or D-shaped. I don't want to order a DW replacement part until i know that they haven't changed their design since they made my pedal.

Anyway... if anyone out there has either an extra connecting shaft that has square ends, or knows of a company that makes the same kind of thing, please let me know. I'm really sick of my Pearl P-100 double (which will be for sale as soon as the DWs are complete).

Thanks for any help... I'm out of options locally.

Here's what I got: $152.50!

Russ

Last edited by Red Hawk; 12-16-2006 at 11:01 PM. Reason: add image
Old 12-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: help finding a double pedal connecting shaft?

I got a DW double pedal 3 weeks ago. Answer to your question: Still square! Too bad you can't get replacements from other companies... Too bad....
Old 12-16-2006, 11:17 PM

well, that's good news at least...

now i know i don't have to try to find a shaft that's as old as my pedals. How old are they? I have no idea.

Now maybe someone can come through and let me know if the PDP doubles use the same shaft?

I've ruled out every other company... except Axis, I guess. Anyone have one of those they could check out?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:54 PM

pdp might, im getting one of their doubles, speaking of which, are the pdps good enough to compare to the others, i tried out a tama iron cobra double pedal and that is too responsive, the beaters hit me in the legs.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:05 AM

the only doubles i've played are my pearl p100, which is really tight and heavy feeling, an axis, which was like stepping on clouds of cuban cigar smoke... amazing ($$$$!), an iron cobra that i hated, it hit the tops of my feet all the time, and i couldn't play it quietly, a mapex Janus, which is pretty nice, third in line after axis and DW in my book, and a DW just like the one i just bought. Never played a Pacific, but i had a pacific single that was OK until one day when it just snapped in half.

If you get the pacific make sure you let me know if the connecting shaft has square ends!

Russ
Old 12-17-2006, 05:48 AM

Well you havent tried the Flying Dragons yet! They are beautiful. I too tried the Iron Cobras and I didn't really like them. Too heavy and bulky feeling.

Nice deal by the way with the three pedals. Whats with the Pepsi can?
Pro Mark
Aquarian
Old 12-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Senior Consultant

Axis makes a universal connecting shaft for anyone that wants to use the axis connecting rod with any brand of pedal. Check out their website.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:25 PM

i assume the pepsi can was for scale...

i actually thought about complaining when it wasn't in the box i got yesterday...

Does anyone know for sure that the axis rod will work? Gibraltar claims that theirs is "universal" too but it doesn't fit at all.

I'll check out the axis site though.

Thanks guys.

From the axis site:

square peg, round hole... it says on their site "fits MOST popular pedals..."
Old 12-28-2006, 05:38 AM

I have pdp pedals and they have a d shapped connector. You can order the connector from any GC or sam ash. You can also check out they're used pedal sometimes they have slaves that dont work any more lying around. Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hawk View Post

now i know i don't have to try to find a shaft that's as old as my pedals. How old are they? I have no idea.

Ballpark 15 years old at least. Old style wire frame bolted to a floorplate.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I recently bought a used DW 5000 accelrator double off of ebay, knowing the whole time that there was no connecting shaft included in the auction. I (incorrectly) assumed that like every other company, DW would have 'D' shaped ends on the drive shafts. Not so, I found out today... DW's ends are square.

I looked at gibraltar, tama, pearl, yamaha and dixon connecting shafts today and none of them will work.

My question right now is this: I'm wondering if someone out there with a newer DW pedal (only one side support on the slave pedal) can tell me if the ends of the connecting shaft are square, or D-shaped. I don't want to order a DW replacement part until i know that they haven't changed their design since they made my pedal.

Anyway... if anyone out there has either an extra connecting shaft that has square ends, or knows of a company that makes the same kind of thing, please let me know. I'm really sick of my Pearl P-100 double (which will be for sale as soon as the DWs are complete).

Thanks for any help... I'm out of options locally.

Here's what I got: $152.50!

Russ

Hi Russ!

Welcome to Drummerworld! I had a similiar problem with a setup like this so I want you to benefit form my experience! You will need to get in touch with an authorized DW dealer for the Driveshaft and I believe the part number is DWSP211. Now, here is one problem you are facing and it is the major one! Since your pedals were originally manufactuered, DW has changed the size of the square "pegs" to which the driveshaft connects to and they are now slightly smaller. I would like for you to call DW and confirm this with them. They are more than likely tell you that you will need to gring down these pegs to fit the newer, smaller design. You can mostlikely have this done at a machine shop and I would definitely take the new driveshaft with me so that they will have something to go by. If you need anything else, just send me a message and I will be glad to point you in the right direction!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 12-31-2006, 03:04 AM
Silver Member

Flying Dragons have the D-shaped shaft . . .

My Yamaha Kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...050#post287050
Old 12-31-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
i assume the pepsi can was for scale...

i actually thought about complaining when it wasn't in the box i got yesterday...

Does anyone know for sure that the axis rod will work? Gibraltar claims that theirs is "universal" too but it doesn't fit at all.

I'll check out the axis site though.

Thanks guys.

From the axis site:

square peg, round hole... it says on their site "fits MOST popular pedals..."
Im getting axis Doubles tuesday so i could supply you with a better picture and possibly the diameter of the hole
Old 01-02-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
Hi Russ!

Welcome to Drummerworld! I had a similiar problem with a setup like this so I want you to benefit form my experience! You will need to get in touch with an authorized DW dealer for the Driveshaft and I believe the part number is DWSP211. Now, here is one problem you are facing and it is the major one! Since your pedals were originally manufactuered, DW has changed the size of the square "pegs" to which the driveshaft connects to and they are now slightly smaller. I would like for you to call DW and confirm this with them. They are more than likely tell you that you will need to gring down these pegs to fit the newer, smaller design. You can mostlikely have this done at a machine shop and I would definitely take the new driveshaft with me so that they will have something to go by. If you need anything else, just send me a message and I will be glad to point you in the right direction!

Mike
...seriously?
What the hell... No wonder these sold so cheap on ebay... maybe everyone but me knew this beforehand. Not only is it impossible to find anything "universal" that will work, but now even the name-brand, product-specific part (that I STILL can't find) won't work either.

SWEET.

How much do you think it'll cost to get the pedal part of the shaft machined to fit the new connection?

Can someone with a newer set of D dubs measure the square connecting points on their pedal and post the measurement for comparison?

Damn... I really want to start using these things. Especially since i just bought a DW 5500 2leg hihat stand last week.

Argh.

[edit:] BTW mike, nice videos on youtube.

Last edited by Red Hawk; 01-02-2007 at 11:40 PM. Reason: why not?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Can someone with a newer set of D dubs measure the square connecting points on their pedal and post the measurement for comparison?

Mine measure 1/4''. I guess that would be the magic number.

-Mofle
Old 01-03-2007, 10:40 PM

uhh..

mine too.

i guess ultimately it doesn't matter, i'll end up getting a new DW connecting shaft either way.. just need to play one more show to pay for it. Hopefully it'll fit right away, but if i have to get the pedals machined, so be it. I was going to take them apart to clean them anyway...

Thanks drummerworld folks! I'm glad i finally joined this forum.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
...seriously?
What the hell... No wonder these sold so cheap on ebay... maybe everyone but me knew this beforehand. Not only is it impossible to find anything "universal" that will work, but now even the name-brand, product-specific part (that I STILL can't find) won't work either.

SWEET.

How much do you think it'll cost to get the pedal part of the shaft machined to fit the new connection?

Damn... I really want to start using these things. Especially since i just bought a DW 5500 2leg hihat stand last week.

Argh.

[edit:] BTW mike, nice videos on youtube.
I would still try calling DW and find out if you can still get the old ones. I will go to my local shop and see if I can find any of the older ends in their boneyard. Yeah, I know the Arrgh feeling well!

And thanks for the compliment!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw