DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > DrummerWorld Site News

DrummerWorld Site News What's New at DrummerWorld

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 08:37 AM

Default Please hear me out..."other" drummers

I think there is a serious lacking of metal drummer on this site and not just any metal but real fast stuff, like crust punk or grind even deathmetal os much more, i feel that there is a whole world of drumming thats not on this web site. sooo many bands.. like
Municipal waste
Shai Hulud (not so fast)
Horse The Band
Nasum
Aborted
As the Sun Sets
Cephalic Carnage
Heaven Shall Burn
Decapitated
Ed Gein
Darkest Hour
Converge
Integrity
The Faceless
Cattle Decapitation
Dead To Fall
The Red Chord
Knut
Bloodlined Calligraphy
My Dying Bride
Between the buried and Me
All That Remains
Immortal
Ringworm
Tragedy
He is Legend
Wrentchintheworks
The Black Dahlia Murder
Through The Eyes Of The Dead
Ligeia
Curl up and Die
every time i die
Bury Your Dead
Ramallah
As Blood Runs Black
Coliseum
Animosity
Cannable Corpse
The End

Or even stuff like:

The John Butler Trio
The Mars Volta
Mare
The Sword
Sigur Ros
Fear Before The March Of Flames
Eye Hate God
Old Man Gloom
Isis
Pelican
Mono
The Body

There are sooooo many more bands I could have put on there.
and there are son many types of music on that...but
I would realy just like too see alot of those drummers stuff.
Tons of stuff you can learn from other druimming styles.
Hell, What about ethnic music?! dont even get me started...
Old 12-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Please hear me out..."other" drummers

OK, if you're talking about those drummers not being featured on the actual drummer page of DW, well I'm not going to go into. You probably know about the wishlist and the process.

If you're talking about those bands not being mentioned often on the forum, you have to remember those bands don't quite fit into the most popular music categories. It's all relevant. If say 5% of the population listen to that music, then chances are 5% of the members here do too. Those bands (apart from some mentioned at the bottom all seem pretty hardcore, so to say. I for one never want to hear the music of Cannibal Corpse ever again after my one experience of it, but that's just me. On the other hand, the John Butler Trio are great, I saw them at the Palais a few years back, and I can't get enough of The Mars Volta.

Biz
Old 12-22-2006, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

That's the music business. After working in CD/Record stores for 14 years, I can honestly say that I've sold/special ordered maybe 7 of those bands for people. Kenny G is better known than Rashaan Roland Kirk. I'd much rather listen to Rashaan circular breathe. Different strokes...
Old 12-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Silver Member

I believe this is what you're looking for, bro.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:56 AM
Gold Member

These people are not very popular. they are not considered dissimilar in anyway from each other. All the drummers on the page are there because the offer something no other drummer in the world can offer.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 12-24-2006, 02:07 AM

I would suggest starting more threads on the bands-styles that appeal to you if you feel that they are under-represented. I'll bet you would get more replies than you expect.

I don't think you are as alone as you seem to feel you are.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Administrator Emeritus

What? A European gentleman in his sixties who plays jazz and dixieland creates a website that is lacking in hard core screamo deathmetal drummers? That's insane! What was he thinking?!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Pioneer Member

Josh... the thing's pretty simple. you want those drummers on drummerworld? collect some info about them, write something cool, send it to Bernhard, and i'm sure that if it will be essentialy valuable, he'll think of putting those guys here. i don't think he has a chance to contact them while being at PASIC or MD Festival :). so it's up to the drumming society, to uphold the memory about all those great "underrated" drummers.
sure that DW is lacking in profiles of many great drummers, but come on! it's the biggest website about drumming for now, and it's database is still being updated. so again, instead of creating such threads, write some short biographies of those guys who you'd like to see, find some interesting info bout them, and contact Bernhard!
Old 01-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacperivo View Post
sure that DW is lacking in profiles of many great drummers, but come on!
No, I don't want that great drummers are lacking. I really try hard to put them up....

But when I read a list of 35 not featured metaldrummers my question is: are they really all absolutely unique and different in style and all have a important impact to the history or future of drumming like Buddy Rich or Steve Gadd? I add them immediatly.....

At the moment - after having had personal contact with them i will add very soon:

Abe Cunningham, Matt Abts (already done) Brann Dailor (done) Chris Pennie, Derek Roddy, Marvin Mc Quitty, Nisan Stewart, Paul Bostaph, Ray Luzier, Shannon Larkin, Travis Smith, Zak Starkey.... is this ok for the moment???

Bernhard
Old 01-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Pioneer Member

don't get me wrong Bernhard, i just mean, that it's also up to other people here, to make this site even bigger. :)

i'm definitely not trying to say, that you're doing not enough work B., actually no one did as much as you in this matter :). i mean that you see great drummers almost every few days, on the street, during their gigs, and in many many different situations, and it's not possible for one man to gather info about all of them.

besides: "But when I read a list of 35 not featured metaldrummers my question is: are they really all absolutely unique and different in style and all have a important impact to the history or future of drumming like Buddy Rich or Steve Gadd? I add them immediatly....." 100% SUPPORT! :)

Last edited by kacperivo; 01-02-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Gold Member

Look guys read the list of drummers that hes puting up, and you will see what i mean about them having something to offer than no one else does.

Chris Pennie- great musician, plays in odd time and is great at it!

Derek Roddy- one of the fastest drummers out there, but can go from grindcore to blue instantly

Ray Luzier-great punk drummer and has alot to offer in all styles!

Shannon Larkin- been drumming for a very long time, Great soloist and live drummer (i have seen him my self!

Travis Smith- he is a amazing drummer! hes like 20 and he has seen the world playing for the popular metal band trivium!

and those are just the names that i recognized!

hes a smart cat, he has a reason for everything he does!

Myspace-Add me!
Old 01-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Guys, just remember this is Bernhard's baby. If he hadn't thought up the wishlist, it would still be only his favourite drummers. I know for a fact that my Drummerworld.com would be considerably smaller than his, and it's generous of him to go out of the way to make profiles for all these drummers that perhaps wouldn't be on the main page if you didn't ask for them to be there. So lay off!
Old 01-30-2007, 02:54 AM

Be thankful for all the stuff on this site dude. Besides we should leave what your asking to magazines like OBBSESSIVE METALHEAD MAGAZINE or BREAKNECK DRUMMER WHO TAKES STEROIDS MAGAZINE. Im sorry for being mean but its the truth. Giving bands more media means their not as much a cult band as they once were,including coverage of drummers.Just my opinion.

Last edited by DWfan20005; 01-30-2007 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Bad comment towards metalheads
Old 01-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
No, I don't want that great drummers are lacking. I really try hard to put them up....

But when I read a list of 35 not featured metaldrummers my question is: are they really all absolutely unique and different in style and all have a important impact to the history or future of drumming like Buddy Rich or Steve Gadd? I add them immediatly.....

At the moment - after having had personal contact with them i will add very soon:

Abe Cunningham, Matt Abts (already done) Brann Dailor (done) Chris Pennie, Derek Roddy, Marvin Mc Quitty, Nisan Stewart, Paul Bostaph, Ray Luzier, Shannon Larkin, Travis Smith, Zak Starkey.... is this ok for the moment???

Bernhard

Bernard, I have to agree with you. I am a huge metal/punk/hardcore fan, and i see where you are coming from. Alot of the drummers he named have drummers who havent had huge comercial success. I would put Steve Gadd before Travis Barker any day. Two great drummers, but Steve is a legend. It must also be hard for you to gather all the pictures!

(btw) I love the that you added the Travis Smith, Ray Luzier, and James Sullivan pages!
Old 01-31-2007, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath View Post
What? A European gentleman in his sixties who plays jazz and dixieland creates a website that is lacking in hard core screamo deathmetal drummers? That's insane! What was he thinking?!
I know it's like going to a funiture store for food,lol. Now if you get in a furniture store and leave me there with tons of food then I am in paradise,lol.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

I read the main page for a few years and was, to be honest, greatly relieved that the really lesser known people today; i.e. classic ground breaking jazz guys, were featured at all. One sees so much metal this and metal that all through the drumming press and websites. If anything, I think the overall coverage is 80/20 in metal's favour. One look at drumkit adverticements is enough to show this. Perhaps prog' drummers get some of that 80 %, but the drumming world at present seems metal mad.

I like the way Bernard has gone about this site. At first glance it seems to be tracing drummers according to timeline. It may not be, but that may seem the case. Many of these metal drummers, guys like the Rev and Joey, are relatively new in the world of drumming. Everyone of note will eventually get their page because this site doesn't discriminate. Perhaps while waiting for information on these drummers you already know about, you might like to read about people you don't know. This site gives you that opportunity.
Closed Thread