DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-08-2006, 07:40 PM

Default iron cobra vs. dw 9000

i am trying to decide which one to get, iron cobra or dw 9000 single bass pedal. i cant seam to make up my mind. if any one has any advice for this age old question i would appreciate you input.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:04 AM

Default Re: iron cobra vs. dw 9000

I prefer the feel of the DWs, but i dont prefer the price. For me the, the difference in price wasnt worth the feel...i went with the cobras, and i havent looked back. Go to the store, try both out, and if price isnt an objection and the DWs feel better go with those. However, if u cant tell the difference, or prefer the ICs, the choice is clear.

O yeah, if u want more info on pedals, please do a search. there are 1x10 ^ 99 threads on pedals here
Evans
Old 09-09-2006, 09:43 PM

I own both and prefer the DWs for several reasons. The DWs are definitely smoother; they are more adjustable; they gave more "standard features."

I must say, in all fairness, that the IC is a great pedal. Its built tough, and on the plus side, has a more "positive feel" than the DW. IMO The smoothness of the DW, in my opinion, gives you a little less "feel," and thus may be a bit harder to control accurately.

The DW9000 comes out of the box ready to be set up as a Power Glide, Accelerator, or anything in between. The roller has a hump that can be adjusted in or out to get the desired roller type. The IC must be bought as either a Power Glide of Accelerator.

The DW comes with both chains and straps, so you can have either without any additional expense required. When I bought my IC, it came with the chain, and nothing else. This may have changed over the last few years, I am not sure.

The DW has every adjustment imaginable, and also some nice features like memory licks for the beater bars, so you can quickly and accurately reverse them from felt to plastic. There are also lots of reference marks that make matching the master and slave pedal up a breeze. The IC lacks these. There is even a memory lock for the transverse bar, so that your pedal spacing is easily repeatable if you have to set up and break down regularly.

That being said, what you should really do is go test drive both and see which feels best under your feet.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Pioneer Member

ive always thought the dw 9000 was an amazing pedal, but not really liked the iron cobra. But lately i would play on my friends set and all of the sudden, its one of the best pedals ive ever played on.

So right now i would go with the ic's.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.joseph
i am trying to decide which one to get, iron cobra or dw 9000 single bass pedal. i cant seam to make up my mind. if any one has any advice for this age old question i would appreciate you input.
If your a big guy and a heavy hitter, go with the D Dub. It is over priced and heavy, but sturdier than IC in the shaft bearing area (where you feel it most). Tama still needs to beef up the main posts on the IC, they'r e not strong enough without latteral support, just make them beefier. IC would benefit from a thinner heel plate too, better yet removable, this would greatly distance them from DW.

The IC beater needs a redesign and they need to upgrade the hoop clamp to better fit BD hoops and not be so prone to the back end rising. On the + side, IC is easier to adjust than DW 9 lets see what else ... the IC is a better value for the money, I would get the 'chrome' model. You might be able to get around the price thing with the 9K on e bay. There's plenty of 'take a chance'rs' these days dumping them (for IC's(?)).

I've found it easier to get board/complacent with the feel of the 9K a lot quicker than that of the Cobra. After many hrs on the Cobra it feels like a good friend. Hrs and hrs on the 9K and it still feels impersonal, like a somebody your just doing business with.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:14 AM

IC all the way, so many bands borrwed my IC pedals after there DW's feel apart at shows. So I have had my double pedal for years and beat the hell them.

When I go to the store I test things out hard, I stomp and jump on stuff to see what can really hold up, and the IC do.

It is nice that the DW's gives you all the extra options but they just dont have the feel for me and have a stupid price.

Your feet will tell you whats right, so go into the store and adjust them, beat on them and go with what feels right. Everyone likes something different, just dont go with the IC JRs
big time junk.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Gold Member

For the me, the IC's were war too sluggish down to them being heavy. But it's all personal preference.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:58 AM

I guess the style of music your playing could kind of influence your decision.
I've always thought of the Iron Cobras for the heavier kind of stuff
Old 09-12-2006, 10:52 PM

You can use ICs for any style you want. I personally use mine for jazz/roc/fusion. Any pedal can be used for any genre.
Evans
Old 09-14-2006, 07:48 AM
Stu_Strib

Every time this thread pops up, the insecure Iron Cobra owners just have to yell how great there pedals are. I own a pair and complain about them all the time. They aren't great, nor are they as bad as how hard I complain about them. They are not anywhere near the same league as 9002s though, and people who claim they are have real insecurity issues.

So once again, it isn't the product so much as it is the followers...

For every loud Ford Mustang owner out there there are 10 silent Porsche Boxster S owners. When is the last time you saw a thread of 200 guys saying how awesome their 9002s are?

(no offense to any Cobra guys, since I have an SVT Contour, and I 'get' it).
Old 09-14-2006, 11:54 PM

Stu, I'm not insecure about my pedals. I simply like them. That is all. And I agree 100%, the DW 9000s are much better. In fact, I think they are the best chain driven pedals out there. However, I don't personally feel the increase in performance justifies an extra $200 - $250
Evans
Old 09-15-2006, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

Ok, ok. Iknow this a 9000 vs, IC thread but you cant tak about peadals w/o bringing up the pearl eliminators. They are an alternitive to the 9000 and you dont have to sell your mom to buy 'em. They run for about the the same price as the IC's. They are very adjustable, very strong, and relitivly cheap.
Some "don't chase after players and their gear, to-deep-for-music, music guy" is going to bash me for this one but; If Dennis Chambers and JoJo Mayer play 'em they must be good! Give 'em a stomp and see how you like 'em.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHW200
However, I don't personally feel the increase in performance justifies an extra $200 - $250
Perfectly logical! And of course I don't think the DECREASE in performance justifies an extra $80 over Yamaha Flying Dragons ;-)
Old 09-15-2006, 09:20 PM

touche` :)

(20 characters)
Evans
Old 09-19-2006, 07:28 AM

the iron cobra was the worst top heaviest pedal I ever used yuk! buy anything else
Old 09-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

Theres a thread on the Pearl Drummers Forum about DW pedals (9's& 5's), all you DW freaks should read it if you haven't already. It exposes what true garbage DW pedals really are. The 9k is not that much more expensive to produce in parts, the foot board is the same casting as the 5K. DW has made a ton of $ off this pedal. Get ready for a black chrome 9K limited, you gotta have one, wooohooo!
Old 09-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Synthetik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore
Theres a thread on the Pearl Drummers Forum about DW pedals (9's& 5's), all you DW freaks should read it if you haven't already. It exposes what true garbage DW pedals really are. The 9k is not that much more expensive to produce in parts, the foot board is the same casting as the 5K. DW has made a ton of $ off this pedal. Get ready for a black chrome 9K limited, you gotta have one, wooohooo!
I would not go so far as to call them garbage. But considering they are made in Asia and assembled in the USA, they do carry a heavy premium. Although not as heavy as the Sonor giant beat.

If you have big feet, your toe could come into contact with a poorly placed spring on the DW 9000.

I'd think the yamaha flying dragon has to be a better design. I asked my local music shop, and they said (at least at one time) the FD had a problem with bottoming out onto it's own hardware. I have not tried one, but considering the cost differential and the number of other excellent pedals out there DW vs Tama should be expanded to add Yamaha, Pearl and Janus.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
I play a DW 5000 and I agree that they are expensive for what they are (I got mine in a sale actually) but in terms of quality I would be more than willing to put them up against something like a Pearl Eliminator. Now, obviously for the features you get the D Dub pedals are overpriced, the 9000 is in terms of adjustability, another level above the Eliminator, but paying more than $100 for the 'infinite adjustment cams' really doesn't bode well with me. That spring does get in the way too and I found the pedals were 'too smooth' for my action.

For best value against features, probably the pearl Eliminator or the Yamaha Flying Dragons win in all costs but to say that DW pedals are garbage is a fallacy. To say that DW Pedals are overpriced has several elements of truth, however.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:50 AM

now i can't say much about the 9000, as i haven't really spent any amount of time playing one. but what i can say for the IC is this:

i got it and thought i'd made a huge mistake. It was heavy, and slow, and felt horrible. what i did like though, that made me use it over my old PDP pedal, was the sound of my bass drum. it has actually changed the sound of my pdp set, and the school's export. the bass drum sounds fuller, and bigger. After a ton of tweaking everything you can tweak on the pedal, i finally figured out what i needed to do and now the pedal feels great, especially fast and loud. I use it for mellow stuff too though, i wouldn't trade it for the world now.

another drummer at school has a 9k2 pedal, and i'll have him bring it in to try. he did say that it just wanted to "bob" back and forth at a moderate pace, and you have to fight it go to slower or faster than that.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetik
I'd think the yamaha flying dragon has to be a better design. I asked my local music shop, and they said (at least at one time) the FD had a problem with bottoming out onto it's own hardware. I have not tried one, but considering the cost differential and the number of other excellent pedals out there DW vs Tama should be expanded to add Yamaha, Pearl and Janus.
I'm a Yamaha fan but all the experts that have seriously evaluated the new Flying Dragons say they're the worst designed pedals out there. Yamaha is a quality company but apparently they had a misstep with this pedal.

To emphasize, this says nothing of their playability and feel. But purely from an engineering/manufacturing standpoint, these are not well regarded.

Google search will turn up all the articles explaining the flaws with these particular pedals.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:

How about we add further confusion to this thread and post the links to opposite opinions:

opinion by SLIPKNOT1 October 2004 (Tama is better than DW)
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...9&page=1&pp=12

opinion by George Lawrence June 2005 (DW is better than Tama)
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.m...af5e306ccbb%3F

Now my opinion to help sort this out: You need to put these discussions in perspective.

If you play pedals normally, all of today's modern pedals from DW, Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Gibralter, Sonor, etc will hold up. The ultra-fast foot techniques of Thomas Lang, Virgil Donati, Mike Portnoy, etc will not destroy any of these pedals. (They may wear out the beaters faster but none of them will crack the footboard in half.) Their type of playing emphasizes finesse and control----not jackhammer foot smashing!

On the other hand, if you stand up and stomp on your pedals with all your body weight like some MTV videos show heavy metal thrashers doing, you will break some pedals. In this case, you need to overanalyze the number ribs in the footboard and measure the thickness. You can dig around google and find photos of cracked footboards from all manufacturers.

So, if you respect the playing styles of Thomas Lang, Steve Gadd, etc, then go ahead and choose whatever pedal feels good under your feet. Don't lose sleep over cracked footboards.

Last edited by wybasher; 09-20-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:24 PM
Stu_Strib

[quote=Les Ismore]Theres a thread on the Pearl Drummers Forum about DW pedals (9's& 5's),

That stupid thread is a fraud and pops up on EVERY drummer forum. Broken 9000 plates, bent cams...all doctored garbage by a very specific insecure Iron Cobra fan who claims to be an "industry insider", complete with pics of broken 9000 footboards and "industrial strength" bench tests. I forget the guy's name, but I've seen him make the exact same post in several drum forums.

Seriously, who breaks footboards?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by wybasher
I'm a Yamaha fan but all the experts that have seriously evaluated the new Flying Dragons say they're the worst designed pedals out there. Yamaha is a quality company but apparently they had a misstep with this pedal.

To emphasize, this says nothing of their playability and feel. But purely from an engineering/manufacturing standpoint, these are not well regarded.

Google search will turn up all the articles explaining the flaws with these particular pedals.
Well, I looked but can find nothing of the sort. Maybe you could give us some links? I have FDs, ICs and a Pearl Eliminator single pedal, and the FD are tops in all areas (build quality especially).

I'm curious as to which "experts" you speak of. I'm hardly an engineering expert, but the superior build and design of the FD's is clearly evident to me. Playability is more subjective, but again, I hear more people lauding FD's then ripping them. Then throw in the fact they are cheaper than DW's and IC's and only marginally more expensive than Eliminators, I don't see the draw back.

Oops, sorry, getting off topic...
Old 09-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Synthetik

Ok folks, to piggyback on Stu Stribs statements:

I went to GC Tuesday for the drum off. They had the chain version of the FD double pedal. On close examination and playing, it seemed to be 100% rock solid, good looking and every bit the pedal the other three big names are.

I would like to try the solid connection version. It looks even better IMO.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.joseph
I have Iron cobra and DW 5000 in the double pedal version
I'd go for DW even though iron cobra is very very good too. Dunno... I think the DW is a bit more sensitive.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Guinness

I now own both of these pedals and can honestly say that the Iron Cobra will probably be sitting in it's little black box for now on. There is really no comparison as far as the smoothness and ease that the DW offers. I never have been pleased with the Iron cobra, it has always felt to heavy and "impersonable". I can play 16th notes all day long with the DW if needed with the ease and comfort I never could quite find with the IC. Dw all the way, baby!
Old 12-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Pioneer Member

I sound like a broken record here, but the Flying Dragons, imo, are the best pedal out there. Sturdy, smooth, light and of the highest quality. I saw an iron cobra double pedal for 200 at the boxing day sale at my local store, but am opting out to get some FD because they are that good.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:01 PM

Honestly if you break a DW, Elim, or IC then your abusing your drums