DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 12-13-2006, 10:38 PM

Default The drum fairy visited me today :D

Hey guys.

I got home to this little lot after work tonight :D Kudos to drumwright.co.uk and lynx (courier) who got this kit to me in pristine condition just 24 hours after I ordered it :)

All I can say is that Maple sounds SO much better than Birch, even on just the factory heads :P I love my VX series mapex to bits but this defines a whole new level of awesomeness, im absolutely exstatic! I keep going and looking at it I love it so much haha.

Anywhere here are the pictures and specs:

Mapex Pro-M in Cherry Fade in 22" rock

22" Bass drum
12", 13" rack toms
16" floor tom
14" snare drum
12" black panther snare drum

boom stand
straight stand
hi-hat stand
mapex drum pedal
snare stand

The hardware is of excellent quality (much better than my VX series which is quite a feat in itself), the only thing I didn't realise is that it didnt come with a throne :( Isn't too much of a problem as I have 2 decent anyway but I may invest in a nice throne at some point. Got some Meinl classic cymbals for christmas hopefully. I'll post more pictures and some videos at the weekend when I get it all set up with my current cymbals and tuned properly.

I'm planning to invest a few thousand in this kit in 2007 :) I have planned to get a second 22" bass drum, 18" floor tom, drum rack and a lot of cymbals (Chris Adler sort of style) over the next year, so I'll keep posting pictures to keep everyone informed of the progress. First things first is some new drum heads to replace the factory heads (which arent that bad to be honest but I would like some better), a drum throne and more cymbal stands :)

Anyway, cheers guys and I hope you like my new kit :)

Ant :)
Old 12-13-2006, 10:58 PM

Default Re: The drum fairy visited me today :D

Thats awsome :D i would like to see it setup with cymbals. Very nice color.

How do you like the BP?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Yes, i agree very nice color, i like the way it fades. Thats gonna be a sweet lookin kit with everything setup with it! Betcha it'll be fun to play!
Old 12-13-2006, 11:16 PM

Cheers guys. I must say, the black panther sounds absolutely fantastic. One of the best sounding snare drums I've heard in a long while. I need to buy another snare stand though as I'm not sure if I was supposed to get one for it, but I didn't :( Oh well, I'll use my really old snare stand for it until I get a chance to go buy a new one. But in general it sounds awesome :) I love the colour too....I was torn between the Caramel fade and the Cherry Fade, in the end I went for cherry as I thought the transition between the colours looked a lot nicer. As I say, I'll get some pics and videos done for you all this weekend when everything is set up and tuned :) Cheers!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Administrator

That cheery is absolutely gorgeous. Is that snare 12 x 6, or 12 x 7. Drum on my man.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Silver Member

Dude,
Awsome kit!!!! You'd better get it off the hardwood floor before your Mom killz ya'.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:32 AM

i can't wait to see how that looks set up, how much was the 12" black panther?
Old 12-14-2006, 05:45 AM

The VX has birch shells? I could have sworn they were basswood. Just asking because I don't think maple is inherently better than birch; it's all about preference. Personally, I think maple and birch are about equal. Regardless, very nice looking kit.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 AM

Thanks for all the nice comments guys :) As far as I'm aware I didn't pay a single penny for the black panther - it comes free with all 2006 series Pro-M drum kits. It sounds absolutely amazing though. Also, as far as I was aware, the VX series is birch, but I may be wrong lol. Anyway, cheers everyone :D
Old 12-14-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spantney View Post
Thanks for all the nice comments guys :) As far as I'm aware I didn't pay a single penny for the black panther - it comes free with all 2006 series Pro-M drum kits. It sounds absolutely amazing though. Also, as far as I was aware, the VX series is birch, but I may be wrong lol. Anyway, cheers everyone :D
I olso got my black panther free :D
Old 12-15-2006, 03:58 AM
Platinum Member

That set is totally rockin'!! That fade is RED HOT!

you lucky bum, you have a few thousand to spend on you kit!! i wish i had that kind of money.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:11 PM

Haha....advantages of having a full time job :D

I havent got the money to invest in it just yet, but I will spend around £250-£400 a month on accessories and stuff for it, and theres always the hope that my band will take off haha. I still need a lot of money to prevent me from dying from starvation lol but I'm hoping a few hundred quid a month being invested into this kit will produce quite nice results by this time next year. I will update you all on the progress of the kit with pictures and stuff. I'll get a video of it tommorow when I have it all set up and tuned and so forth too :)

Anyway, cheers for the comments guys.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:59 PM

Hey guys :D Finally managed to set my drum kit up today so here are the pics :D I'll try and get a video uploaded later or tommorow. Cheers :) Oh yeah....and it sounds just as good as it looks...the Black Panther is AMAZING

Drum kits galore - I hadnt set my Pro M up yet - I was tuning it so my VX was still set up in the background. That black thing is my very first drum kit - a 7 year old session pro kit - I'm selling this to a mate this christmas because it doesnt even get a look in now and it makes me sad to see my first kit just sitting there not being used :( But hey.....the circle continues :D

Some behind the kit piccys - As said before my cymbals are only Sabian Solar at the moment but I love them all the same - they work brilliantly for me for regular practicing and they are cheap as well which was the main thing when I was unemployed. Should have some nice Meinl cymbals coming for christmas though this year so I'm excited :D

Hope you like the old school duvet in the bass drum style too :D

Cheers all!

Last edited by spantney; 12-16-2006 at 03:04 PM. Reason: more pictures
Old 12-19-2006, 09:00 PM

Hey guys. I was just going to ask a quick question - what are those little circular patches that go on the bass drum head where the beater strikes called? I've been looking for something to deaden the sound that looks better than a duvet in the bass drum. Also, where abouts can I get them (the little patch thing) in the UK? I seem to remember its called a QR patch or something but I'm probably wrong - I can't find anything relevant. Thanks guys, and I've got some more goodies for my new kit on the way at the moment so I'll post more pictures at the weekend. Cheers :)
Old 12-19-2006, 09:12 PM

"The drum fairy visited me today :D "

Is it true they wear boots?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Hey guys. I was just going to ask a quick question - what are those little circular patches that go on the bass drum head where the beater strikes called? I've been looking for something to deaden the sound that looks better than a duvet in the bass drum. Also, where abouts can I get them (the little patch thing) in the UK? I seem to remember its called a QR patch or something but I'm probably wrong - I can't find anything relevant. Thanks guys, and I've got some more goodies for my new kit on the way at the moment so I'll post more pictures at the weekend. Cheers :)
Here's an example of Remo's "Falam Slam." It's kevlar and adds lots of durability and punch, but too clicky for me. Others are made of plastic, fabric, rubber and other stuff - each changes the attack sound of the beater. They're pretty inexpensive, so experiment a bit and try a few out.

Hope this helps.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...RCH&GroupCode=
Old 12-20-2006, 12:58 AM

okay, since the black panther was free, how much would they cost normally?, if i can get a job soon, after payments on my trans am and a few other things, i might save up to buy one.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:51 PM

Black panthers usually cost around £150-£200 ($300-$400) so I'm guessing my one is worth about that.

Cheers for the tip parser I might have a look at one of those Falam Slam things :)
Old 12-21-2006, 06:34 AM

Just so you know. There is absolutely no difference in sound between Maple and Birch. It has been proven. Birch is just cheaper because there is more of it in the world.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Cheers for the tip parser I might have a look at one of those Falam Slam things :)
Glad to be of service.

I put a coated emad on my 22" kick and it sounded pretty good. Then I put on a thin, clear patch that comes with the head. It changed the sound from boomy to clicky, not so good for me. I had a fabric patch laying around so I put that over the plastic one - back to boomy with a hair more attack. My point is - experiment. Lots of different ones and sounds to try. Good luck!
Old 12-24-2006, 02:30 PM

WOW, love the finish, its all silky and lovely!

btw, I have a mapex catalogue and the vx is basswood, just to let you know.

Last edited by rhydianjlewis; 12-24-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

That´s one beutiful thing you've got there!
Enjoy!

Merry Xmass
Old 12-24-2006, 09:54 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys.

This week I replaced the stock heads with some lovely new Remo Coated Emporers which sound very nice indeed. I got one of those bass drum beater patches too, and the bass sounds extremely good now - thanks to those who gave advice on that.

Next week I'll be going down the music shop when it re-opens with about £350 to buy some new cymbals so if anyone has any suggestions for cymbals then I would be very grateful. I really would like at least - 14" hats, 16" crash and a 20" ride but if someone knows of anywhere that sells a bigger pack that sounds nice for the same price that would be great. I'm thinking of either Meinl classics cymbals or possibly sabian AAX cymbals - Both are around the same price for the 3 pack.

Cheers everyone and I'll get some new pics uploaded when I get my new cymbals :)

Oh and Merry Christmas all. I hope Father Christmas brings you lots of drum related goodies hehe :D
Old 12-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Of the two, Sabian AAX Pack no question.

Although, if you can do a bit of detective work, I know that you can get a set of Istanbul Agops (well, not a 'set' but hi hat, crash and ride) for about that sort of money. That's if you're into something a bit less bright and a bit more traditional. It may be a little more than £350, but if you try out a few Agops and see what's what, you might have a realistic alternative to any of the mainstream brands. Although the Sabian AAX pack is very good for most applications.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:03 PM

Thanks man...I'll go down the music shop and try some different ones out but the Sabian AA/AAX series do seem like a good choice - lots of selection of sizes and effects.

Thanks again :)
Old 12-25-2006, 09:33 PM

Hey,

nice kit...but there is one thing i really don't understand. A panther Snare as secundary snare...i don't understand!
If i would own such a great snare i would place her between my legs for sure!

:D

MfG
Tobias
Old 12-25-2006, 10:28 PM
nhzoso

Very nice bro, Congrats..You gonna sell the birch kit or keep it. Excellent choice
Old 12-25-2006, 10:55 PM

Hey cheers for the comments guys :)

Hehe, well I've tuned my BP snare quite tightly for a pingier sound, whereas my 14 inch one isnt tuned as tightly so its a bit deeper. However, my BP is used almost as much as the one in between my legs despite the fact its set off to the side :D

As for my VX series kit (which is basswood not birch as I previously thought)...I'm keeping it and will start upgrading that with better cymbals, drum rack, etc next year. My grandmother bought me the VX series kit just before she died so I cannot sell it just because of the immense amount of sentimental value - plus it sounds great too :D

Anyway, thanks for all the great comments everyone...they are much appriciated!
Old 12-29-2006, 02:55 PM

Hey all :)

Just a quick update - I placed an order for:

Sabian AAX 14" Hi-Hats
Sabian AAX 16" Crash
Sabian AAX 20" Ride

Unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment. I still have around £100 left so I may get a Sabian AAX 14" Crash or something aswell when the pack gets back in stock (the store are going to phone me to let me know when everything is in stock). So I'm very excited :D but no so excited about the wait!

I'll get some pics up as soon as they arrive though :) Thanks all!