DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-19-2006, 03:24 AM

Default Evan Hydralics

so i just put new evan hydralic heads on my Pearl Export set about 4 days ago, they all sound AMAZING i really love them.

alllll except my 16" floor tom....

now i haven;t had the greatest past with this head to say hthe least i got the drumm used (was in pretty good condition) and the set came with anougher floor tom. a 16" just black no brand anywhere on it.

it has no bottom bracket meaning it's just a top head but i always loved the way it sounded, well....better then the one i put the new heads on.

now the issue i have with the SET floor tom when i put the new heads on is, it sounds competelly horrid next to my toms, it has like no oohmth, just kinda a thud that rings out a tad bit after it's struck.

and well, i hate it =| what do you all think i could do to make the sound better? i've tried ajusting the bottom + top head lose, tight, EVERYTHING and i sitll hate it, and i've consitered siwching the new heads to the other tom but i dont think they will fit....and i'd liek to use both toms on my set but i want them both to sound diffrent, preferablly one deeper then the other.

any ideas on heads or anythign would be appreshated

also, on my toms i have some wrinkles aroudn the edges, will this effect the head in a long term useage? or not really?

thansk in advanced!
Old 12-19-2006, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Evan Hydralics

Try some Rem-o-Rings, Moongel or some other dampening device on the floor tom.

The wrinkled tom batters will be more susceptible to dents and damage, but if you really like the sound, live with it and just replace them as needed.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:18 PM

Hydos kill the tone of the drums as it is. You should search the tuning bible and learn to tune correctly
Old 12-19-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjian 242 View Post
Hydos kill the tone of the drums as it is. You should search the tuning bible and learn to tune correctly
That's a bit harsh really. If this guy has found a sound he likes for the rest of his toms, he's obviously found a tuning that works for him.

Hydraulics aren't everyones taste (obviously not yours), but as they're so different to regular heads the tuning bible actually applies a lot less than you'd think - the best results I've had with hydraulics have been with quite unorthadox tunings.

I can't really help with the 16" tom I'm afraid but all the best with it. I'm surprised that if you like very loose hydaulics on the rest the floor tom doesn't sound much the same with a very loose hydro on it - that's quite a simple tuning so I would have thought would be consistent. if it's too boomy you could try moongel or O rings or whatever, but I don't really understand what you were saying about the bottom head "it has no bottom bracket meaning it's just a top head but i always loved the way it sounded, well....better then the one i put the new heads on" - do you mean it's only got a batter head? if so that's your problem - concert toms (with one head) sound very different to regular toms
Old 12-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesh View Post
That's a bit harsh really. If this guy has found a sound he likes for the rest of his toms, he's obviously found a tuning that works for him.

Hydraulics aren't everyones taste (obviously not yours), but as they're so different to regular heads the tuning bible actually applies a lot less than you'd think - the best results I've had with hydraulics have been with quite unorthadox tunings.

I can't really help with the 16" tom I'm afraid but all the best with it. I'm surprised that if you like very loose hydaulics on the rest the floor tom doesn't sound much the same with a very loose hydro on it - that's quite a simple tuning so I would have thought would be consistent. if it's too boomy you could try moongel or O rings or whatever, but I don't really understand what you were saying about the bottom head "it has no bottom bracket meaning it's just a top head but i always loved the way it sounded, well....better then the one i put the new heads on" - do you mean it's only got a batter head? if so that's your problem - concert toms (with one head) sound very different to regular toms
totally agree dont slate people!!! if you like that sound then use em.. if they were that bad why hasn't Evans got rid of em ???
Old 12-20-2006, 06:22 PM

Is your floor tom low to the floor or parallel to the ground? I have had some experience with the hydraulics and they are more tempremental than most heads (but it's worth it because the sound is heavenly.

First, go over the tuning once more. sometimes one might be out of tune, but you don't notice it until a later time when your ears are more relaxed.

Second, try to raise or lower the entire drum's pitch. These heads are great, but have limited range in tuning. Also, adding the bottom head will increase the life of the drum's sound... and cut down on the ringing.

and Third, adjust the height and/or angle of the drum. I am not sure if this is exactly the reason, but when a drum is low or flat to the ground the sound waves bounce off the floor and reflect onto the heads again, and it cuts down the resonance and tone of the drum. changing it's position might help or fix the entire problem, but you don't want to have to change your playing posture for your floor tom.

Best of luck,
Christian
Old 12-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Pioneer Member

Here is what I would do:
  1. Set the toms up exactly the same; if your other toms have bottom heads, put the bottom head on the floor tom if it doesn't have one already.
  2. Take the drums which have the tone you like and set them on the floor with both having the batter side(the side you hit) facing up. Take a drum stick, tap it on the center of the head of each of these drums and listen to the intervals between these two heads.
  3. Now turn these drums over and tap a stick on the resonant heads in the center and listen to the intervals of the resonant heads.
  4. Now, take each drum, put it on the floor and tap the batter head in the center and then turn it over and tap the resonant side in the center. Make a note of the relationship of the two heads of this drum. Do this with each drum you like the sound of.
  5. Put a bottom head on the floor tom and take the legs off, set it one the floor and tune the batter heads in relation to the toms you like. This will mean you will have the batter side of a few toms facing up! Once you have the completed to your liking, turn all of the drums over, and find a nice relationship in the the bottom floor tom heads.

You now have a good place to start fine tuning your hydraulics!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 12-24-2006, 09:42 AM

thanks for all the help guys

i went over the tuning and did everything, and it sounds a tad better then it did, i honestlly think i just dont liek the drum as a whole, not really so much the heads i dunno =|

ahh well it works for now thanks for al lthe replys =D