DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-27-2006, 03:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Drum Gum vs. Moongel

I personally prefer Pro Mark's Drum Gum to Moongels. I feel moongels get dirty way too fast and arent adhesive enough after a long while. The drum gun gets stucka dn and it sticks while being very flat and not protruding or getting in the way. What do you guys prefer if you use either?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Drum Gum vs. Moongel

I've only used moongels, and they work fine for me. Just dont drop them on the carpet. I'll look into drum gum though.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

I am a Moongell fan my self. Drum Gum is not so popular on this side of the land.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Administrator

If your moon gels get dirty, wash them. warm soapy water, rinse well, and let them dry. The adhesion properties are like new, and they work just fine.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:38 AM
Pioneer Member

ive never used either of them, but i like the name drum gum better. How do they compare to ring dampenerse (the white circle things)?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:02 PM

I'd like some of our more experienced drummers to discuss why there is a need for dampening. When I was a kid, I'd dampen my drums, but with the recent emergence of killer heads, I don't dampen anything, maybe the kick if I'm looking for a different response.

I use Studio-X / Classic clears on my Sonor 3001s, and Super-2 / Classic clear on my Mapex Saturns. High energy or Super-2 on all 4 snares.

I'd love to have a few different ideas.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2xlr8n View Post
I'd like some of our more experienced drummers to discuss why there is a need for dampening. When I was a kid, I'd dampen my drums, but with the recent emergence of killer heads, I don't dampen anything, maybe the kick if I'm looking for a different response.

I use Studio-X / Classic clears on my Sonor 3001s, and Super-2 / Classic clear on my Mapex Saturns. High energy or Super-2 on all 4 snares.

Before I spent time learning to properly select and tune heads I much prefered the drum gum, especially because I could cut the stuff easily and make little dampeners.

However, I agree with n2xlr8n here - dampening seems to kill the beauty of a properly tuned kit with properly selected batters and resos, and I just don't do it anymore. I also learned to hit the snare drum in the center for a dryer sound, and work my way to the outside for more ring. Just a thought.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

i had e-rings over my old evans g2's to control the ring, but now that i have evans ec2's i dont need anything...

iv also found that i can tune g2's and not have the ring, but i still prefer ec2's.

and when you think about it, the new "killer" heads like ec2's and studio x's have a dampening system built in, so its basically the same thing. just more professional
Old 12-21-2006, 01:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2xlr8n View Post

I use dampening rings because i feel it actually sounds better with them on. I think there is too much of a ring w/o them. But they still sound good with them off. But on the snare, w/o the rings, it really just sounds like complete sh*t. I mean its a really nice snare but it sounds terrible without it. But with it on, it has an absolutley amazing sound for rock.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:56 AM

I use drum gun on my floor toms. I have a 16x16 and a 18X16 so I need a little dampening.. Drum gum works great.