DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-13-2006, 08:29 PM

Default best snare drum mic for live

Id like to know if anyone's had good experience with "other" snare mics besides the SM57. The 57 is all I've ever used live but with so many now on the market I wonder if there's something out there better. I've heard good things about the Audix I5 and the beta56. Any thoughts?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:04 AM
IDDrummer

Default Re: best snare drum mic for live

I haven't heard the I5 yet, but the Audix D1 is awesome. It has a much livelier sound to me than the SM57. I have only used it on a friend's kit, but it is definitely on my "to buy" list. The I5 may also be very good, but it looks a bit bulky - one of the things I don't like about the SM57.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the reply, I borrowed the I5 from a friend that has a sound company. I haven't tried it yet, but it is just a little bigger than the 57 only in the head. I don't see where it would be a problem. I like the fact that it is a "heavier construction (maybe it can take the abuse). No crown to come flying off like the 57. None of that means anything of course if it sounds like crap but my friend says it can handle more gain without feedback. We'll see this weekend. Thanks again for the reply. JD
Old 12-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Having heard various examples of the Audix, I would happily buy a set of those microphones, let alone just the one.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I haven't heard the I5 yet, but the Audix D1 is awesome. It has a much livelier sound to me than the SM57. I have only used it on a friend's kit, but it is definitely on my "to buy" list. The I5 may also be very good, but it looks a bit bulky - one of the things I don't like about the SM57.
And one thing which I have heard is that these are being made in Mexico - the SM57s! And they have problem whih I have experienced personally - the windscreen rattles when you use them in a clam on drum due to the drum vibrating!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 12-18-2006, 03:47 PM

Hey guys, I used the mic (I-5) all weekend from low volume to a big outdoor festival type gig with big monitors etc.I mix my own sound from behind the kit so the first thing I'll tell you is that the mic can handle a LOT more volume without feedback. The only drawback is that if you are used to the really high sound of a 57, you will have to make some minor adjustments to the EQ. Once you do that, you will really enjoy the sound this mic produces. It really reproduces the "whole" sound of your snare. I tried it with a 5x14 black beauty, a 6-1/2x14 supra and with a 13x4 piccolo. With my 57 I'd have to re-EQ or muffle or generally have to fudge in some way with the actual drum itself, but with this mic I had to do NOTHING. it is easy to work with, and sounds good. At the price it's selling for, I will definitely pick up a few more. I'm going to check out the D1's for the toms. I like my 98 clip-ons but they are delicate and move every time you hit the toms hard. Also I don't think they work well for large deep toms. Thanks again for your replies and hope this helps anybody thinking of switching.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:48 PM

the I5 is a sweet mic. in my studio we do an i5 on the batter head and a 57 on the snare side. Sounds great. SM57s are a great mic nonetheless. but if you're going to buy 1 audix mic, it has to be the D6. definately one of the best mics i own, especially for the money
Old 12-18-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadelvalle View Post
I like my 98 clip-ons but they are delicate and move every time you hit the toms hard. Also I don't think they work well for large deep toms.

I actually use a D6 on my low toms about 16" and up. Sounds nice.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Silver Member

A soundman I used to work with always used an Audix D1 and a SM57. We miked the top of the snare with the D1 and the 57 on the bottom. I had recordings from the soundboard and the snare sounded great.

birch
Old 12-19-2006, 05:10 AM

my live mic setup is this:

snare: shure BETA 57 (smoother response than sm57, and no shaking!)
hats: shure BETA 98 (the mic is the size of a bic roller pen cap, great for kits with alot of stuff in the way, like mine)
toms: shure BETA 98
kick: shure BETA 52

The beta 98s come with THE BEST mount anyone has ever made for drum mics. They can clamp directly to a hoop if you need them to, or they can clamp on pretty much any piece of hardware you have, within reason. I always clamp them to boom arms.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Pioneer Member

I use an Audix F12 for my snare and it gives really good results -- especially for the price. The F series is a step down from the D series, but I went with the F series on all my toms and overheads and went with a D-6 for my kick. Its a great set-up and did not break the bank.

This is me.

This is what I do.