DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-11-2006, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Chad Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRockDrummer
I'm not sure wearing cool hats has anything to do with anything, but i agree with you. he plays AWESOME drums.

i found Stadium Arcadium to be a little disappointing. in some of the ballady stuff, chad's restrained to keep an ordinary beat throughout, and it's dull and unimaginative (She Looks To Me). but i have to say, some of the songs are REALLY funky and great. anyone who doesn't love Readymade should reconsider being a Chilis fan at all. Turn It Up Again's also great I think. I don't like Hard To Concentrate, it just sounds like any other pop song.

Chilis jamming at concert is brilliant. they can communicate by just playing their instruments.
i read the recent interview on Modern Drummer Magazine, and he sounds like a real humble guy compared to his status.

Who else likes Soul Mover?
I think Soul Mover is an excellent album. I can't wait for Music For The Divine. But I found Stadium Arcadium to be an amazing album. They definitely had the perfect balance between their funk and pop stuff. They've ALL grew so much as musicians. I think Readymade and Wet Sand are my favorites, but I also LOVE Hard to Concentrate, Snow, and Charlie. Have you noticed the great old school rock feel that Strip My Mind has?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:17 AM

people say chad smith is overrated. well i disagree. he may not be the most technical drummer but he holds a solid beat and keeps RCHP together. sometimes people have to think outside of the box. you see, there are many drummers who have technical ability far beyond chads, but he as sold millions of albums with rhcp and has been going now for years. sometimes its just about the music. you dont need to be a really technical drummer to write a good beat/song. As a drummer on his own and playing wih red hot chilli peppers, we see a different side. Hes renowned and respected for the awesome contribution he makes in the music of red hot chili peppers, not for his ability. i cud go on about this all day but you get the picture. I personally like his style as sometimes its better to have a solid beat carrying a song rather than masses of rolls etc.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:50 PM
da cheese walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence
Stone Cold Bush and Subway to Venus are awesome tunes. Lots more funky grooves on Mother's Milk.
mothers milk is their best album in my oinion....my band plays both stone cold bush and subway to venus...also suck my kiss...and all these songs are just so much fun to play!!if anyone wants to learn a cool,funky,groovey song it should be stone cold bush...!haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence
Chad's still the funk, but he is being restrained by the poorer songs.
the whole band has changed with the times...you cant hold it against them...but yeah i much prefer their old funky stuff...i know flea an chad are still as funky as ever....!
Old 07-04-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky_McPot
So...now that Stadium Arcadium is out.... What is everyone's opinion of it?

Personally I loved it from 1st listen. I'm a big chilis fan - my whole band loves em. They write kick arse songs, and some of my favourite to play. I was dissapointed by By The Way but Stadium Arcadium has a much better feel to it. Yeah they are bringin some funk back, but thier soft stuff i reckon has much more feeling than By The Way.....Anyway I'm really liken it atm. Everyone else?
I completley agree, I like "By The Way" but it definetley was lacking something. This album is almost like a tribute to everything they have recorded. The funky songs are awesome and the mellow songs are beautiful and the rocks song, well they just rock! I think it's a great album.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Gold Member

Saw the chili's last night, put ona great show as per usual! Chads kit was glowing, it was awesome. They played a few new tracks, but not too many. I was really impressedm they played Blood Sugar Sex Magik & Me and my Friends. Was great fun.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:41 PM

Best album ever made and Tell Me Baby is the best song ever recorded.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

I so wanted to write something in this thread, but after spending bloody ages reading all 5 pages that you have all written about him, I just can't find anything new or interesting to add, I thought I was going to open this up and find everybody sticking thier heads up thier arses and slagging the man off, but I guess he's just that likeable that even the people who don't rate him as a drummer really can't find anything terrible to say about him, and that has got to be one of the greatest achievements, especially in a place like this.

I would be exstaticly happy to have pockets half as deep as Chads, and half the skill he has, and half the love he has, I have never seen anybody have anywhere near as much fun behind a kit as this man, and after all that's what making music is all about
Old 08-04-2006, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat
Saw the chili's last night, put ona great show as per usual! Chads kit was glowing, it was awesome. They played a few new tracks, but not too many. I was really impressedm they played Blood Sugar Sex Magik & Me and my Friends. Was great fun.
Haha, I know the persons brother who created those lights. I talked to him, and he said he's a really down to earth guy, and totally different then you'd expect him to be. Chad invited him to spend a weekend with him, since the guy invented them.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:59 PM

this thread is getting longer and longer and I couldn't stop myself from adding my comment .....

RHCP is one of the tightest act out there in commercial pop/funk/punk scene. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_Arcadium look how much money they are minting) They are successful from the last 13 years. Had Chad been not the most innovative dude around for this kind of music bordering on punk and art, then RHCP and their producers and music label has enough muscle (read money) power to get even Dave Weckl to back up Flea and Anthony.

I haven't heard Chad speaking in private conversations, but i once on TV heard an informal interview with Flea about his musical opinions and influences. Now this bassist is not the half mad crazy a*** rebel like he portrays as an RHCP member onstage .... I saw this guy to be very down to earth, has been influenced by very deep musicians, and knows his stuff more than the brand image marketing guys with Sony or BMG would like the kids there to know. ..... Chad must have sufficiently impressed Flea to be with him for so many years .... and we are talking about professionals here, not the amateur band on the block who finds difficult to get musicians.

Last edited by geek_boy_in; 08-14-2006 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:37 AM

I'm currently listening to Blood Sugar Sex Magik a lot lately. I really enjoy Chad's playing on this album. It's alot of fun to jam along with.

I have to check out some of RHCP's newer stuff, and Chad's DVD sometime.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 AM

I think Chad Smith is great drummer. Lots of cool grooves and no real weaknesses. He doesn't shine like some drummers, but he's got style. I love his groove in Aeroplane. Lots of nice feathered snares, sounds real smooth.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky
pinky=yes he is impressive and anyway he wears cool hats AND plays AWESOME drums!!!!!

pinky xx
excuse me, porkpie hats are cool hats! not those big blue houses that chad smith wears. hats off to his drumming though, he has a huge range of abilities behind a kit. enough about hats!
Old 10-20-2006, 02:21 PM

[quote=Now this bassist is not the half mad crazy a*** rebel like he portrays as an RHCP member onstage .... I saw this guy to be very down to earth, has been influenced by very deep musicians, [/QUOTE]

i dont know about the crazy i have read scar tissue by anthony kiedis and anthony is crazy and the reason (he claims) him and flea got along so well was because he was up for all this crazy stuff too. He is still a down to earth guy and jazz played a big influence on him - he used to play the trumpet and learnt bass from Hillel (RHCP's first guitarist)

ANYWAY enough fo a history lesson

like everyone has said he is a great drummer with great energy and fits the chili peppers perfectly. BSSM has to be one of their best albums in my opinion - not a huge fan of their new stuff but i think the bass and drum combo flea and chad have is what sparks up alot of their new poppy songs
Old 10-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrazy
After Modern Drummer 05 I thought he was way over-rated. I mean everything he does isn't that impressive.
I think Chad's performance at the 2005 MD Fest was one of the best ones there. The grove was strong, his solo had a very important point to it as well. On of the best bits of advice was given by Chad Smith at the fest. You can get behind a set and have all sorts of cool chops but the GROOVE will get you the gig. His display of Time was awesome, so you might want to rethink your comments....you could learn a lot from that performance.....I did!
Old 10-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex589
I think Chad's performance at the 2005 MD Fest was one of the best ones there. The grove was strong, his solo had a very important point to it as well. On of the best bits of advice was given by Chad Smith at the fest. You can get behind a set and have all sorts of cool chops but the GROOVE will get you the gig. His display of Time was awesome, so you might want to rethink your comments....you could learn a lot from that performance.....I did!
I couldn't agree more. His performance showed class and deep, deep pocket and groove. There was also some complexity - with bass drum ghost notes - to go along with the power and impeccable timing. The truth is that if more young drummers aspired to actually be able to do this type of thing well, there would be a lot more competition for work! It is this kind of skill (not the blazing fast blast beats) that leads to employment.

Chad's a great drummer and if you donlt think so now, you will when you get a little older and wiser!

Paul
Old 10-20-2006, 07:07 PM

I have his DVD 'Red Hot Rhythms' and he makes the point that what's important to him is to play for the song. He said when he was starting out he used to throw in all sorts of fancy fills because he could play them, but that didnt mean they were right for the song. Flea also adds in the DVD that 'God help you if you're in a band and your drummer cannot sit back, slow it down and just lay down the groove.' Very valuable lesson there...
Old 10-23-2006, 05:41 PM

it's hard to argue with chad smith's success w/ the chili's, but he's like a rock drummer trying to play funk. i don't think he's a "true" funk drummer like garibaldi or steve ferrone (check out "texas flyer" on freddie king's burglar album) or dennis chambers... now THAT'S funk...it would be interesting to hear garibaldi with the chili's...
Old 10-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Senior Administrator

that's a bit harsh. he's not trying to play funk. he is playing funk...just not of the variety you mention. chad, if not invented, certainly popularised hard funk. he doesn't win every other reader's poll for nothing.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 10-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
that's a bit harsh. he's not trying to play funk. he is playing funk...just not of the variety you mention. chad, if not invented, certainly popularised hard funk. he doesn't win every other reader's poll for nothing.

j
Thanks for saying it Nutha. I couldn't find the words. I totally agree with you!!
Old 11-09-2006, 07:21 PM

chad is basically a all round good drummer and his lack of technicality is made up the all the rythm and groove he contributes to RHCP, and as being a funky pop rock sorta band his drummin is perfect!!
OCTO
Old 11-13-2006, 08:07 AM

i love this guy , he is a great drummer definitely one of the top rock drummers out there today.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:15 PM

Chad Smith is an awesome drummer.
I recently saw a video with Flea and Chad from the chilli's. They play together for a while and gee chad can use that one kick fast. Great drummer!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:21 AM

What a guy !!!!

He's the funkiest rock drummer ever and that hi-hat n snare sound is just orgasmic.

WALKABOUT n Mellowship slinky in Bmaj are the funkiest songs by RhCp . Czech out the drumming in those. An apt mixture of groove and zany-ness in his drumming. Very minimalistic in some parts and jus downright wacky chops in some others. Songs like Dont Forget me show you how much feel an acoustic kit can generate.
On a side-note : walkabout is just about walking in the city and just roaming around to find out what its all about. :) What an uber-cool concept. !!!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 11:10 AM

Chad is the man. He has influenced my playing so much.

Nutha said it perfectly! Too many people say that drummers such as Garibaldi etc etc are funk. There's more than one kind of funk, and for what Chad does he is awesome. Deep Hard Funk!

It annoys me so much when people dis him just because he doesn't bust out some amazingly technical rhythm. I'm fed up of hearing such narrow minded people.

Excellent point made by Mapex589 too. Once Jack left the band, things took on a whole new dimension.

You gotta love Chad. I may have said this before (maybe even on this thread), but the Chili's have lost their way now. I think so anyway. I used to think they were the greatest band on earth. Now they have lost the funk and complexity of their songs. They just get John to solo all over the place. But you can't really argue with them, as they have made way too much good music in the past.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post

You gotta love Chad. I may have said this before (maybe even on this thread), but the Chili's have lost their way now. I think so anyway. I used to think they were the greatest band on earth. Now they have lost the funk and complexity of their songs. They just get John to solo all over the place. But you can't really argue with them, as they have made way too much good music in the past.
I urge you to go by Stadium Arcadium. I think you will love this album. They actually seem to have found their way!! Go buy the album.....it is brilliant.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:52 PM

chad smith is the most UNFUNKIEST drummer ive heard ... if youre looking for great funk drummers listen to the drummers for sly and the family stone, PFunk, and what about david garibaldi
Old 11-28-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex589 View Post
I urge you to go by Stadium Arcadium. I think you will love this album. They actually seem to have found their way!! Go buy the album.....it is brilliant.
I have heard it. I don't like it. It is nothing compared to their earlier stuff. NOTHING! I can see why people like it, but for me...no thanks.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I have heard it. I don't like it. It is nothing compared to their earlier stuff. NOTHING! I can see why people like it, but for me...no thanks.
That's cool. Music hits us all differently. I really dig the new album but if you are a fan of the old (I am too) I can understand not getting in to the new stuff. They became a new band at Mothers Milk.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:
That's cool. Music hits us all differently. I really dig the new album but if you are a fan of the old (I am too) I can understand not getting in to the new stuff. They became a new band at Mothers Milk.
True, they did become a new band. Love the stuff when Chad joined. Mothers Milk, BSSM, One Hot Minute. It's after this they lost the funk. It's just nowhere near as funky anymore and the arrangements are so much simpler now. Californication, By The Way, Stadium Arcadium - don't like em. I guess they are going more poppy and they are probably selling more records now then ever before AND they're getting old.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:29 AM

hello peple any of you knows what snare used chad at te recording of blood sugar sex magik? did you have any photos? please let me know it....thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 03:29 PM

Chad Smith is a tight player. Doesn't do too much but still manages to capture my attention. Mind you, i've only heard Stadium Arcadium and some of their other singles they released.

On that note, Chad's drumming on Stadium Arcadium is good, but i seem to pay more attention to what Flea and Frusciante are doing...
Old 11-30-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timcha View Post
Chad Smith is a tight player. Doesn't do too much but still manages to capture my attention. Mind you, i've only heard Stadium Arcadium and some of their other singles they released.

On that note, Chad's drumming on Stadium Arcadium is good, but i seem to pay more attention to what Flea and Frusciante are doing...
You gotta check out Blood Sugar Sex Magic if you wanna hear what Chad is all about. I think this album sums him up as a player quite well. Make sure you do! If you like Stadium Arcadium BSSM will blow you away.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
You gotta check out Blood Sugar Sex Magic if you wanna hear what Chad is all about. I think this album sums him up as a player quite well. Make sure you do! If you like Stadium Arcadium BSSM will blow you away.
Yeah i might do that actually. Most people on this thread seem to refer a lot to chad's work on BSSM.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:01 PM

I saw Chad live yesterday with the chillies and boy was that AWESOME!
Chad is really one of my favourite musicians of all time. Not only has he got an amazing groove and feel, but he is also, which funny enough is highly under rated by many musicians theese days, an INCREDIBLE showman! You really get a feeling that he
loves what he is doing. He sits behind his kit with a big smile and makes all theese kind of amazing stick throws, and he catches the sticks everytime! He also played a nice GROOVE BASED drum solo where he at the same time conducted the audiences cheering. However, my fellow drummers, yesterday something very strange happened, but before I tell you what happened I have to tell you that I have thought about spending next year studying drums with one of the BIG GUYS. I have thought about many teachers such as Hakim, Erskine, Zoro, Igoe and... Chad Smith but I really cant decide. Back to the story now. I was standing among the crowd in the front, but not the front row. However, suddently out of no where one of RHCP's crew members appear in front of me and gives me one of Chads sticks, an original Vater Chad Smith funkblaster! Usually I am not supersticious but I "take this as a sign" that I shall study with Chad next year :-)

Anyway go see the Chilli Peppers, especially to you Finn, since you "adviced" me to see Questlove with the Roots :-)
Old 12-15-2006, 03:23 PM

Is it just me or was he actually a bit DRUNK at Modern Drummer Festival 2005? Like after he plays his....groove (solo? haha) he's like, "How doya get tha- gig man? Gotta play a groooooove man!" He was slurring so bad it was hillarious.

I personally love the guys playing and I TOO have one of his Funk Blasters from one of his concerts. Great drummer, what a lot of people don't realize is that just because he's not too technical doesn't mean he's not awesome, his FEEL his GROOVE is truly awesome and he plays to serve the MUSIC rather than himself.

Rock on Chad.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:49 PM

I saw Chad In Stockholm 12/12 and he was brilliant. He did a very cool solospot and was extremely tight. A sold out show and the gig was great!
Old 12-17-2006, 01:36 AM
Silver Member

Every once in a while I like to check into this thread and see what folks have to say. Chad was not one of my bigger influences when I was younger drummer but ever since I saw his Modern Drummer 2005 performance that has changed. I spent years in the basement as a self taught drummer and did not focus on groove as much as I did on being a flashy drummer, all chops crazy and stuff. Not until I started getting formal training with an instructor and began to play with musicians did I really understand the imoprtance of groove. Chad really puts that in your face at the MD2005 perfomance and it makes perfect sense. So you dont have to like Chad Smith's playing but it does not hurt to listen to his message. Ever since that performance Chad Smith is a drummer I study a lot....I love his groove and the little subtleties in his playing. Chad Rocks!!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:51 PM
fusssion

separated at birth??

http://www.kidzworld.com/multimedia/will_chadAw.jpg

probably been talked about, but.........still amusing!
Old 01-30-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Every once in a while I like to check into this thread and see what folks have to say. Chad was not one of my bigger influences when I was younger drummer but ever since I saw his Modern Drummer 2005 performance that has changed. I spent years in the basement as a self taught drummer and did not focus on groove as much as I did on being a flashy drummer, all chops crazy and stuff. Not until I started getting formal training with an instructor and began to play with musicians did I really understand the imoprtance of groove. Chad really puts that in your face at the MD2005 perfomance and it makes perfect sense. So you dont have to like Chad Smith's playing but it does not hurt to listen to his message. Ever since that performance Chad Smith is a drummer I study a lot....I love his groove and the little subtleties in his playing. Chad Rocks!!
Same here,saw the MD performance and immediatley got into Chili Peppers. I think his playing on Give It Away was what caught my attention the most about his style. Simplistic yet so heavy and funky. Long live the funk,lol.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
separated at birth??

http://www.kidzworld.com/multimedia/will_chadAw.jpg

probably been talked about, but.........still amusing!
It's kinda scary really!!