DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-08-2006, 08:43 PM

Default different size sticks used at once

I've recently been experimenting with using a shorter, heavier stick with my left hand and a thinner longer stick with my right hand (vic firth harvey mason with the left; promark 5a with the right). Why do something so bizarre, you ask? I play traditional grip, and I play a lot of alternate stick stuff on the high hat, which has me frequently hitting the back beat on the snare with my right hand. But not always. Sometimes, when the situation calls for it, I'm doing it with the left hand. My right hand is stronger than my left, and I seem to get a greater balance of attack this way, using the lighter stick with the stronger right hand.. Plus it just feels good. I know, if it feels good for you, then do it, but I always worry when I do something that seems too far off the wall. Any thoughts?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: different size sticks used at once

Many times i will use my pro mark 747 rock sticks with a nylon tip, for the the "pingy" sound, but use one of my bigger sticks in my left hand for a nice "boom" on the snare.

Also, when playing jazz, i tend to use the aj6 model in my right hand for the ride, but something only slightly larger and heavier in my left, usually an SD4.

But the main reason i put a slightly bigger stick in my left hand is because my right hand is stronger, and it evens out the sound a little.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:39 AM

I'll use different stick every once in a while. I don't use them to make my hands sound more even however. I use different ones to make each hand sound as different as possible. This makes even simple stickings sound very different, even if it is just leading with a different hand. It really depends on the style or song though, for when I do it.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:12 AM

Doesn't seem to be too much wrong with that but I would suggest that you work on being able to make your hands even with the same pair of sticks. Its a challenge but will pay off in the end when you want more articulation, etc.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Silver Member

Different sticks for different sounds. Not different sticks for equality. To even out the sound practice with the same sticks until they become even ;)

I've used nylon tips together with wood tips just to get some different cymbal sounds. I've also used timbale sticks together with normal sticks to get that different sound.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:10 AM

But isn't it the case that one way to strengthen a weak hand is to use a bigger stick? I can remember when I started taking lessons as a kid using those massive 3A sticks. It seems that I'm killing two birds with one stone with using two different stick weights (and they are not hugely different): getting the equality of stroke that I desire, and strengthening the weaker hand.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormtownpaul View Post
But isn't it the case that one way to strengthen a weak hand is to use a bigger stick? I can remember when I started taking lessons as a kid using those massive 3A sticks. It seems that I'm killing two birds with one stone with using two different stick weights (and they are not hugely different): getting the equality of stroke that I desire, and strengthening the weaker hand.
It would be of more benefit to learn to control the stick better. You'd get more out of this than the couple of ounces of difference in sticks. Speed and power are byproducts of control.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:44 AM
Silver Member

Sometimes I mess around with a brush in my left hand and a stick in my right.

Sounds cool when playing light jazz patterns

My Yamaha Kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...050#post287050