DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Synthetik

Default The return of Simmons electronic drums?

I just saw this today while researching the history of e-drums. The name "Simmons" has been revived into a new e-kit company of sorts.

http://www.simmonsdrums.net/sd5k/

I don't know if the buzz on these is good or bad at this point. I am still saying "Wha...?"

The new kit "SD5K" is $599...pretty inexpensive. It looks like they might be using pintech pads/cymbal triggers.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:53 PM

Default Re: The return of Simmons electronic drums?

Guitar Center bought the name...

RESTRICTED RIGHTS LEGEND AND TRADEMARKS
Use, duplication, or disclosure by the United States Government is subject to the restrictions set forth in DFARS 252.227-7013 (c)(1)(ii) and FAR 52.227-19. SIMMONS and the SIMMONS logo are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Guitar Center, Inc. All other product names mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I played that kit, it's very entry-level compared to even the low-end Roland kits. The drum sounds are okay, and they of course have incorporated the classic Simmons sounds, but it's truly an entry-level package.

I'm not sure who would be lured by those so long after Simmons came and went as both a company, and a 'sound'. The Simmons name probably means little to today's newer players, as they've become very educated and downright spoiled by the Roland and Yamaha kits, Alesis modules, and computer sampling. It's obviously a price point - the drums are fairly inexpensive - but I think even younger players will know the difference between the Simmons and entry-level Roland kits for $100-200 more, not to mention the better playability of the Rolands (and Yamahas for that matter.)

The pads don't appear to be Pintech, and the cymbals are 1 trigger as I recall, and no choke pad. The stand isn't very heavy-duty, so it's not club-ready. The module is easy to figure out as far as changing kit sounds though, so perhaps 'accessibility' is what the new owners of the Simmons name are shotting for.

But again, it's absolutely an entry-level kit, and I hope they're not claiming that it compares in any way to Roland, Yamaha or a Pintech/Alesis rig.

Bermuda
Old 11-13-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy @ Massmusic View Post
Guitar Center bought the name...
EEEK!!

I wonder who's actually making them?

Well, I guess having a house brand electronic kit to go with their Sound Percussion line isn't the worst thing. I would rather have seen them create a new brand than to (try to) capitalize on a legacy name. Maybe they're going to try and expand the Simmons product line? Not sure why though, everyone else has already done electronics better - that's partly why Simmons vanished after just a 10 year heyday - and Roland modules make very suitable, very adjustable Simmons sounds for those who want them.

I happened to need some classic Simmons toms on a new track, and rather than dredge up my Simmons SDS8 kit, I used the Roland TDW-1. Dave Simmons would never know the difference.

Bermuda
Old 11-13-2006, 07:33 PM

all i really remember about the simmons drums was the oddball tom sounds (which my td-20 replicates fine), but the e-drum community was pretty excited about simmons coming back into the game. they really had some interesting ideas, that at the time were financially unfeasible (they pioneered alot of the technology involved in the mandala pad way back in the 80's). it would of been nice to see them come back proper in todays market. some more quality competition would help move the technology along. the way guitar center is pimping out the simmons name on a junk kit isn't helping anyone except maybe guitar center.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenhalo View Post
it would of been nice to see them come back proper in todays market. some more quality competition would help move the technology along.
Simmons was actually a true pioneer in individual sounds, with their SDSX (I think) which was essentuially a module that accepted sound libraries (available on floppy, so obviously somewhat limited by today's standards) and I guess you could load your own sounds if you had a computer in the late 80s. Chances are, the drummers/producers who could afford its $10k price tag had Macs then, but may not have needed such a device. The brain was huge, and basically did a whole lot less than even the new Simmons module now. BUT, they were trying.

It wasn't long after that Roland had the TD-7, and was really making headway in affordable, capable electronic kits.

Seriously, I don't know what a revived Simmons name could do now that hasn't been done. To introduce the name again on a clearly entry-level kit may not have been the smartest move if GC indeed has bigger plans in the future.

Bermuda
Old 11-14-2006, 01:07 AM
Synthetik

A friend of mine had some SDS5(?) simmons. I remember his were purchased for the sole reason that Neil Peart had some, and so he could play "Mystic Rhythms" and other stuff from the GUP/PW albums.

I remember thinking the sound was cool at the time to augment an acoustic kit, but wouldn't cut it alone for me. (Unless I was in a technopop band) The one thing that stuck out was that they were like playing on a formica countertop.

As to who makes the pads: I could only guess. I figured at the price it had to be some kind of knock-off.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:04 AM

They're not Simmons at all. Read this thread on the vdrums forum.

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26796
Old 12-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Synthetik

Quote:
Originally Posted by osamasgoat5467 View Post
They're not Simmons at all. Read this thread on the vdrums forum.

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26796
On my last trip to GC this week, I saw a new "simmons" kit in a box. Someone bought one...