DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-22-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Mark Mondesir

Pretty damn scary if you ask me....Anyone ever seen this guy play in the flesh?
Old 09-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Elemental Nausea

Default Re: Mark Mondesir

I dont know him, who is he, what bands does he play for?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Tony Williams said: the best drummer I ever have seen!!!!

Dennis Chambers says: the best drummer in the world!!!!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Mark_Mondesir.html

Bernhard
Old 09-23-2005, 12:01 AM

Those recommendations are actually pretty scary. I've heard of this guy and his brother but I've not heard any of his music.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:02 AM

:O OH MY GOD! that guy is awesome
Old 09-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Pioneer Member

All I've seen of him are the two clips on DW ... and I would really love to see more. He has really wild, unique chops and its fascinating to watch. Not like my absolute favorite drummer, but he is one of the best in the world. I always enjoy that style of jazz too ...
Old 09-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Pioneer Member

He's got a pretty strange style. I haven't listened a lot, but apperently he's can be pretty extreme at both ends of the scale - a percussionist i did a clinic with said he saw him doing this gig with this really over-the-top chopsy playing, like 20,000 notes a second, yet he does a lot of session work where he just plays Boom-DACK-Boom-Dack etc for the whole of a five minute track. I dont know whether i like his chopsy playing much (i mean, it's not like tasteful chopsy playing that someone like Vinnie does), but i havent listened to a lot. He's pretty stylish all the same.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:18 AM
Womble

Being English I'd heard the name for a while, but not bothered to check him out till Mike Shapiro told me I really should listen to him. Mike's a pretty incredible drummer himself, and didn't offer his praises lightly, so I thought I'd better follow his advice. Alas I haven't seen Mondesir play live yet but I got his DVD...I don't know, it's hard to tell from an instructional DVD what a great player someone is, obviously he's VERY technically proficient but I clearly need to see him live. On the DVD he plays a bit with his brother and that's great, but there's not enough to really get a feel for his playing.

The Dennis Chambers reference I'm not too fussed about but if Tony Williams said that about him, well, you gotta listen :)

Womble
Old 09-23-2005, 12:25 AM

I remember myself and a fellow drummer were talking to George Kollias after a Nile gig once, and he said he'd give either of us 500 euro if we could get up and play a Bryan Ferry song on the kit.... Neither of us were familiar with any of his music, but I remember thinking that Ferry must have someone pretty good if Kollias is gonna make a bet like that. Then I checked who his drummer was the next day, and I was like "...ahhhh".
Old 09-23-2005, 06:13 AM

Dennis Chambers rates this dude very highly on his video In the Pocket
Old 09-23-2005, 04:05 PM

Does anybody know some albums where one can listen to his playing?
Old 09-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Thinshells

MAN he makes those Yamaha's sound terrific!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:42 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

I saw Mark play a clinic in Doncaster (in the north of England) to a packed house sometime back in the late 90s. Stunning drummer. What was impressive was not just his chops (which are pretty devestating) but his depth of knowledge of drummers.

At one point during the clinic he went into a bit of detail on half-time shuffle playing and busted out a few different styles, including nailing a Purdie shuffle, the Roseanna groove, and going into a bit of depth on some of the stuff Narada Michael Walden did with the Mahavishnu Orchestra. He can also play just about any Billy Cobham groove ever recorded, including doing Quadrant 4 with only one bass drum.... For a while the evening just decended into "audience shouts name of Billy Cobham track", "Mark plays it perfectly" until everybody realised that they weren't going to catch him out.

Also worth mentioning it that at the time he suffered from a serious speech impediment, something he's done a lot of work on correcting. It takes pretty astonishing amounts of balls to get up on a stage in front of hundreds of people when you know you're going to run into problems with your speaking - it's hard enough when you can speak confidently in normal conversation. From more recent stuff I've seen he seems to have done a great job of dealing with this, and I have enormous respect for the guy. An amazing drummer and a really impressive person.

Edit: Good places to listen to Mark's playing... the first track of John McLaughlin's "The Promise" has Mark on it, and it's worth tracking down the track "Reality" by Julian Joseph. I don't really rate the song, but the drumming is really really grooving.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:15 PM
jojo

On Julian Josephs Homepage are a lot of audiosamples with mark mondesir playing on it.
I really like the style he is playing there - very musical.
http://www.julianjoseph.com/
Old 03-07-2006, 05:01 PM

He's great, of course, but I don't see the aggression and power of a Cobham or a Chanbers....
Old 11-18-2006, 03:16 AM
Silver Member

The guy RULEZ!, I just saw a video of him playing with Gary Husband and Mike Mondesir.
NO WORDS
Old 11-25-2006, 06:57 PM

I have seen Mark 4 or 5 times in clinic in the UK. He is a phenominal player. Extremely musical in any style. Fantastic technique without sounding over technical. Has something of a Gary Husband about him in this way.
If any of you get to see him in clinic, dont walk out after 20 minutes wondering what all the fuss is about. Everytime I have seen him, I am always disappointed at the start and wonder whether I over rated him the previous time I saw him. Oh ye of little faith I am thinking later on. Outstanding.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental Nausea View Post
I dont know him, who is he, what bands does he play for?
He has played for kiss, alice cooper, black sabath, and a few other bands.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:37 PM

Hi All

I have known Mark for some time and I can truly say he is one of the nicest people I have ever met apart from being an amazing drummer. He has always got a big smile,this guy loves playing. He can be seen playing all over London at the moment playing in John Serrys piano trio . Definitely worth checking out ( they play the 606 club in London regularly )

Mark Claydon
Old 12-28-2006, 05:31 PM

I've been lucky enough to see Mark in action at two clinics in Newport, South Wales over the past couple of years and having been in the business for more years than I can remember, and seen more drummers than I can count, I must say he is most definately one of the very best in both technique and feel. Apart from his amazing ability he is also a pleasure to watch. Not something that can be said of all drummers.