DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 12-01-2006, 02:24 PM
ludwig guy

Default Which double bass pedal should I get

There are many different double bass pedals out there and I am looking at either a DW7002pt or a Iron Cobra Powerglide. Only thing is there is a 100$ difference and I am kind of low on money. I need to know what double bass pedal I should get, that will stand up to aggressive use. I need feedback.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Synthetik

Default Re: WHICH DOUBLE BASS PEDAL SHOULD I GET?

You really need to do a search, this forum has plenty of threads on that.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Which double bass pedal should I get

DW!! go for the dw 5000 series. but if not 7000 is also very nice.

GRETSCH, AQUARIAN, PRO-MARK, SALUDA, SABIAN, WUHAN.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Silver Member

Go for the Iron Cobra. I own a DW 5000 and I am not that satisfied. The screws that hold the pedal connector (?) keep jumping out, so in the middle of a song I loose my left pedal... Not good!

The DW pedal plates are also known for braking in half. The chain is said too snap too... Luckily they come with a five year warranty...
Old 12-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Silver Member

If I were you I would hold out and buy the DW 5000 series or the Iron Cobra, just don't buy a cheap double pedal. Trust me....it does make a difference.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwig guy View Post
There are many different double bass pedals out there and I am looking at either a DW7002pt or a Iron Cobra Powerglide. Only thing is there is a 100$ difference and I am kind of low on money. I need to know what double bass pedal I should get, that will stand up to aggressive use. I need feedback.
I own a Gibraltar Intruder Dual Chain Drive Double Pedal which I couldn't be happier with :)
Old 12-02-2006, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex589 View Post
If I were you I would hold out and buy the DW 5000 series or the Iron Cobra, just don't buy a cheap double pedal. Trust me....it does make a difference.
When I was trying the Iron Cobra Power Glide when I was buying a new Double Pedal I felt no difference from my 130$ double Pedal to the 300$ Iron Cobra. So I bought the Gibraltar Intruder on 250$ which I love, Really good Features :D
Old 12-02-2006, 01:00 AM

Have you actually tried either of the pedals that you are considering? If so, was there one that felt better in any way?

The IC is a great pedal that will take all you can dish out, and it has plenty of adjustability. The DW7000 series is DWs lower end double. The 5000 and 9000 series are the "better," and "best" respectively, that DW has to offer.

I have a DW5000 single that has to be at least 8 or 10 years old and works as well as the day it came out of the box. Remember, a pedal is a machine, and as such requires care and maintenance. The one issue I had was a bent carpet spike on my 9000s, and DW had a new set shipped to my door within 3 days of me reporting the issue, no questions asked, so they do stand behind their gear.

Back on point, DW makes great gear, but if you are set on the DW7000 or the Iron Cobra, I would suggest that the IC is a better value for the money. I think the extra cost is warranted in this case. I own an IC, and it has been bulletproof. When I moved up to the DW9000, my son put the ICs on his kit. He abuses the heck out of them, and so far, they still work like new.

I cast my vote for the IC.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member

I bought a used DW 5000 double pedal for $150. I liked it way better than the Tama IC. I switched to a single pedal(s) and was using a new DW5000A3, which was an improvement on the older model double I had. Then I picked up the Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive pedal. Game over. Sold the DW5000A3 and bought a second Yamaha FDDD. Put your feet on as many pedals as you can.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:31 PM

pearl eliminator double pedal trust me theyre amazing and they dropped the price for them too!
Old 12-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Firstly you really and I mean really need to go try the pedals so YOU can decide which feels best to you. From a is one better than the other category based on construction I'd go with the IC. The 7000 is a lower end pedal, I've kicked on one once or twice and I wouldn't invest my money in it. You need to look at this as an investment, you can buy a cheaper one now and replace it a few times over the next couple years, which will cost you more in the long run, or spend the extra cash and get one that will last you 10 years. Let's face it this is one area of your kit that gets alot of abuse. I've had a set of DW5000 double pedals for 13 years and never had a problem with them. You might consider, if you already haven't, checking on e-bay and buying the pedals used as you can save some money and get a better product. Bottom line is everyone has an opinion on what they think plays the best but the only one that matters is yours since you will be the one using them, try them then make your decision.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:09 PM

Well the Iron Cobras a really nice. They are heavy duty. I say go with a Iron Cobra or the Iron Cobra Jr. (basically the same - cheaper not as heavy duty)
^correct me if im wrong
Old 12-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofle View Post
Go for the Iron Cobra. I own a DW 5000 and I am not that satisfied. The screws that hold the pedal connector (?) keep jumping out, so in the middle of a song I loose my left pedal... Not good!

The DW pedal plates are also known for braking in half. The chain is said too snap too... Luckily they come with a five year warranty...
I have been playing DW pedals for 14 years and have NEVER had any of these problems!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 12-04-2006, 08:47 PM

I've had an Iron Cobra for about 4-5 Years. It's a good pedal, I've never had any problems with it over this long time. I've been really rough on it. I'm proud of it in a way.

I would eventually like to get some Axis Pedals...but wayyyy too pricey for me right now
Old 12-05-2006, 03:56 PM

I love my Iron Cobra. Keep in mind that when you try a pedal out at a store, It's not adjusted to your settings! I love my Iron Cobra but I can't bear to play one at Guitar Center because they alway have them way too stiff. I've played a DW 5000 and I didn't really like it, just not my preference.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Silver Member

I would suggest the Iron Cobras...but if you're leaning towards the DW, go
with the 5000 double...not the 7000.

birch