DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 12-01-2006, 10:58 PM

Default Hart Dynamics X Roland V-Drums

Hey guys, I'm planning on switching from an a-set to an e-set so i can get more practice ( since i normally get home by 7 o clock and cant play by that time because of my neighbors). Im looking for a high quality one because ive played in an e-set before (td-3) and it wasn't realistic at all. The roland td-12 was the one that impressed me the most at first because i heard that the sound module was practically the same as the td20 and it was almost 2g cheaper. The only problem is that the heads seem to be a little small ( a least from the pics ive seen). I read at some threads here that hart dynamics have some great heads and they seemed better from what i saw in the website. I would like to know if you have any advice in wich one i should prefer and also if i buy a hart dynamic wich sound module would you advice me to get?
I have some good savings from chrstimas and birthdays so i can spend something around 3500 maximum.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Hart Dynamics X Roland V-Drums

This Forum is a bit snobbish I've noticed. You won't get the time of day here unless you're talking about high-end accoustic stuff. Have you tried posting this question at: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/
Old 12-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TJ View Post
This Forum is a bit snobbish I've noticed. You won't get the time of day here unless you're talking about high-end accoustic stuff. Have you tried posting this question at: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/
How on earth did you get that impression? There are a few people here who use e-kits and yes, they're an easy solution to practicing without annoying the neighbours.

As far as your "high end acoustic kits" comment goes - look around - there's actually more toward intermediate level and starter level than high end.

I don't know a great deal about e-kits so I can't help much, but I do know that both Hart and Roland are highly respected e-kits. The only thing I can suggest is that you try out the Roland heads, if you don't like them then go for the Hart. I've never seen Hart for sale anywhere in the UK, but that doesn't mean there isn' a distributor or whatever somewhere for you to go have a try (since I don't know where you're based I'll assume the U.S.)

Also, as had been suggested, try the Vdrums forum, since there are more acoustic drummers here than there are likely to be there they may be able to offer you an opinion over which is the better e-kit.

I don't think there is one bit of "snobbish" attitude going on on this forum at all.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the link i didn't know that forum. I'm gonna try to find some information there. But if anyone here knows something about it and has tried the td-12 or hart e-drums please share with me because i don't live in usa but im going there on the end of the year and i plan to buy it now because in my country they are much more expensive and hard to find.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:27 AM

personally, i play hart dynamics pads, roland cymbals, and a roland td-20 module. the only reason i dont play a complete roland td-20 kit is because of how much nicer and cheaper the hart dynamics pads are. i bought my set piece by piece from www.rmcaudio.com because i couldnt afford to purchase an entire kit at once, and they gave me some great prices. ask them for a quote on some of the hart gear and roland gear just to get an idea of how much less expensive the hart pads are. the acupads, in particular, are a real good value.

and what country are you in?

edit- forgot to mention....the td-12 is a really popular module. it has all the sounds that the td-20 has BUT the stock td-20 sounds are terrible. the td-20 module has an sd card slot on the front of it that allows you to download kits from the internet to your module. the td-12 does not have this feature. also, there will be an expansion card for the td-20 somewhere down the road. the td-12 cant use that either. those 2 facts alone made me go for the td-20 module.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:30 AM

Quote:
i think thats kind of unfair to the forum. there aren't many replies to e-drum related topics because there aren't that many drummers on here playing electronic kits. you can't fault them for that.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:54 PM

Thanks a lot man. You were really helpful i already sent then an email asking for the prices. I notice you said that you use roland cymbals. Dou you think the hart cymbals are good as the roland ones or not? Because I plan on getting a whole drumset and it would be easier if i bought a hart entire set including cymbals instead of buying evrything separately.
And also: i have a band and one other reason i wanted to buy an e-drums is because it's much easier to record. What product ( cheap one if possible) would you recommend me to buy to record my drums and the rest of the band. It doesn't need to be anything professional just so we can have something recorded.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:49 PM

the hart cymbals are a bit of a mixed bag. the ride and hi-hat are metal, and play very well. a lot of people prefer the hart hi-hat over the roland vh-12 due to the added realism of the metal plates. the crash cymbals are another story: single zone, and plastic. most people sell their crashes on ebay and buy rolands. i wouldnt worry about pulling the trigger on a hart kit though. worst comes to worst you upgrade the crashes down the line, and move the hart crashes to splash duty.

as far as recording, all roland modules have midi out so you can record direct to a pc. the td-20 also has 8 individual outs for multitrack recording/mixing. it's an expensive box, but it's real powerful stuff.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:09 PM

Hey thanks for all the help you've been giving. I already made a decision on sticking with the td-20 module because besides the oportunity of upgrading the sounds it offers me a lot more oportunitys to upgrade the kit itself because it has more inputs for another cymbals or pads that i can buy and these 2 things will probably assure me that i wont have to buy a new module for a really long time.
But i have a little dilemma i donīt know if i sould buy the whole td-20 kit or if should buy a hart kit with the td-20 module.
The hart pro 5.3 is 2350 and the module is another 1500 the td-20 is a little bit more expensive but it comes with another tom and another cymbal. I think i will probably go with the whole roland set. Do you think the toms and the snare from roland are less realistic than harts, and if yes if i buy some hart heads for them this problem will be solved?
I know i've beem bugging you with a lot of questions but it's kind of a big decision and since you have experience you are helping me a lot. Do you have any pics of your set and/or any videos or recordings of you playing, i would like that for sure.
Thanks again
Old 12-04-2006, 12:40 PM

The earlier advice to check out the vdrums forum was a very good one. The folks there are very knowledgble about e-kits.

I own a TD20 based kit, entirely Roland. I have also tried a number of different Hart configurations but I have never actually owned any of their products. For cymbals, I hands down prefer the Roland product. I would highly recommend you look into the VH11 or VH12 hi-hats. Even though they are expensive they work exactly like regular hi hats and make the e-kit much more realistic.

As far as the pads are concerned you could go either way. Both are mesh heads with a Piezo; Hart even makes mesh heads for Roland pads. For modules the TD20, TD12 and a used TD10 with the expansion are all good but differ in their ability to modify sounds. Personally, if I were in your position I would pick up a used TD20 for the same price as a new TD12. The preset kits are ok but you will do much better to buy a set of the VExpressions kits ($50) and load those on your module. That's probably the single biggest upgrade you can make unless you want to tweak sounds a lot.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Synthetik

Quote:
That's the opposite of the truth, and an extremely rude post.

I have never seen a forum where people go more out of the way to help others.

Last edited by Synthetik; 12-04-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:41 PM

the 5.3 kit is a real nice kit, but i would also recommend looking at the gigapro set. should be about the same price as the 5.3, but they give you 4 acupad toms instead of 3 pro toms, a bigger rack, and an extra crash. the acupad and pro pads are the same exact pad, only the pro pads look nicer.

if you decide to go with the roland kit, you can get the hart dynamics magnum mesh heads to fit the roland kit. that would be an essential upgrade IMHO. other than that, the pads from roland and hart trigger identically. either way you go, roland or hart, you'll be getting a top notch kit. they are just slightly different flavors.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:54 PM

Hey,

I play Hart pro (was 6.4, now 7.6) and I love them, they feel and play extremely well, not too mention look awesome. I did try the rolands before I bought the Harts and found little difference except look and price. My one regret is picking the Hart crashes, I should have gone Roland, The Hart ride is great but my Hart hats have broken twice in 1 year. You do have a life time warranty so you can get anything replaced or fixed forever!!! But it's a pain in the ass having to send things back and wait around for replacements!

As for modules, TD-20 all the way (if you can afford it) and V-Expressions upgrades ASAP.

Bear in mind that they are quieter but my neigbours still hear me through 3 walls!! If you live in an Apt. your neighbours below you will not be too chuffed!

Cheers,

FF
Old 12-05-2006, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetik View Post
That's the opposite of the truth, and an extremely rude post.

I have never seen a forum where people go more out of the way to help others.
My appologies.

... now back on topic...