DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 11-22-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Roland or Yamaha????

hi,
My first post here so go easy!!

ive only been drumming for a bout 6mths on my premier cabria kit but ive recently moved into a flat where my neighbours dont appreciate my skills!!!! so im thinking of getting an electric kit so i can play with headphones........and there lies my dilema.....roland or yamaha....???? these two seem to be the best available.......for my budget it would either be the yamaha dtxpress or the roland td-6.......any suggestions......pros/cons of each kit?????

thanks in advance to any replys.......
Old 11-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Roland or Yamaha????

I like roland electronic simply for the real feel heads. They make u sound so much better than u really are, lol. I dont know much about that model though.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:52 AM
Pioneer Member

I currently use the Yamaha DTXtremeIIs, I love them, and the feel is great. The bang for buck factor when compared to Roland canít be beat. Roland makes a great product also but when you compare the two and money is a factor you have to go Yamaha. In my case it was this purchase and ability to practice any time of day, imagine coming home from work at 11pm, popping on the earphones, setting up some ďdrum minusĒ music and playing along. Itís fantastic. The only down fall is that this also reignited my passion for the acoustic drum set. I originally had a Slingerland kit for many years and so I have ordered and await delivery of my Sonor Force 3003 White Sparkle Super Duper drum set. I hoped that helps a little and if you need more detailed information feel free to ask and good luck with your decision.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:53 AM

Roland is what my bro has, don't like how Yamaha's "plastic pads" feel, when Roland has real drum-feeling drums...

My Kit
Old 11-23-2005, 04:22 AM
Pioneer Member

Mike Firth
The Yamaha DTXtremeIIs pads are a newly formulated rubber not plastic, and they feel great, I know of several Pros that use the new DTXtremeIIs pads and swear by them. I have played both Roland and Yamaha and I prefer the Yamaha not because of price but because of feel. I only suggested them because it sounded like Shimmyg was on a tight budget as well. I also believe the new DTXpress pad is made of the same newly formulated rubber not plastic. We have to keep in mind that both Roland and Yamaha are nothing more than a substitute for an acoustic set and that feel is a matter of preference.

Shimmyg
No matter what is said on this board the ultimate decision will only come as the result of testing both kits for yourself and then deciding which suits your taste best.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:32 PM

'No matter what is said on this board the ultimate decision will only come as the result of testing both kits for yourself and then deciding which suits your taste best.'

i cant go and 'try out' any of these kits cause i live bout 100miles away from my nearest store!!

ive been looking on ebay for these kits but i cant seem to get a td-6 for the money i have.......maybe i would be better to wait til after christmas and i might be able to get one cheaper then....????

i really like the sound of the td-3 kit but i think the module is rather limited????

my budget is about £600stg.......any ideas?????

thanks............
Old 12-01-2005, 04:29 AM

Hi guys, first post!

I too are looking to get a electronic kit.

The two I have found (within my price range are)

Roland TD3K and Yamaha DTX

Both are around the same price, but ive heard with the Roland you can upgrade and add components? but with the DTX you can?

I am just wanting to get a kick that I can play and practice on all hours all the time :)

anyone played with both?

\m/
Old 12-01-2005, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmyg
'

i really like the sound of the td-3 kit but i think the module is rather limited????

thanks............

It still has like 32 kits! which is loads, but im just starting out so it doesnt really matter to me :)

let me know how you get on dude

\m/
Old 11-14-2006, 12:11 PM

hey guys! i am thinking about buying the DTXtremeIIs in about 3 weeks im just wanting to know a few things

i have some computer speakers ( good logitech ones) i was wondering if i can plug my kit up to that and have the sound comeing out of there? or do i have to buy the speaker system that yamaha make for it?

also, when playing a song that comes with the kit, during anytime am i able to rip out a solo and then go back to the normal song?

and also is the yamaha better for teaching options? cause i really just want it for learning and grooving on :)

thanks heaps guys!

also if anyone else is interested there is a good preview of the dtxpress3 special here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owpsd...page=1&t=t&f=b

the bit im reffering to with the solos is how he does a tympany (spelling) solo? can u pull out a solo like that with any song?

thanks guys :)
Old 11-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Silver Member

Hi, Stained. I have the IIs you see in the link below and love it. You will probably be able to listen to something via the computer speakers, but certainly not well enough for a permanent pa/speaker solution. You will definitely blow your computer speakers. I think you need a minimum 50 watt solution and that is probably low.

You can get most any sound out of the brain, particularly with a memory card and Internet download capability. There is a tymp sound, but I couldn't find it a few minutes ago when I went to look for it, and can't find the manual at the moment. But, plenty of built in sounds in the IIs.
The IIs rubber pads feel great to me, and I think they make a great set of practice pads. Also agree with gr8, plenty of bang for the buck. Joey
Old 11-17-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeats View Post
Hi, Stained. I have the IIs you see in the link below and love it. You will probably be able to listen to something via the computer speakers, but certainly not well enough for a permanent pa/speaker solution. You will definitely blow your computer speakers. I think you need a minimum 50 watt solution and that is probably low.

You can get most any sound out of the brain, particularly with a memory card and Internet download capability. There is a tymp sound, but I couldn't find it a few minutes ago when I went to look for it, and can't find the manual at the moment. But, plenty of built in sounds in the IIs.
The IIs rubber pads feel great to me, and I think they make a great set of practice pads. Also agree with gr8, plenty of bang for the buck. Joey
cheers for your reply mate! im really looking foward to getting this kit!!!! :)
Old 11-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Silver Member

I put a couple links to youtube which will allow you to get a feel of the IIs at my gear page. Hope you find it helpful! Joey
Old 11-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmyg View Post
'No matter what is said on this board the ultimate decision will only come as the result of testing both kits for yourself and then deciding which suits your taste best.'

i cant go and 'try out' any of these kits cause i live bout 100miles away from my nearest store!!

ive been looking on ebay for these kits but i cant seem to get a td-6 for the money i have.......maybe i would be better to wait til after christmas and i might be able to get one cheaper then....????

my budget is about £600stg.......any ideas?????

thanks............

Having worked with both of these brands, I would say that the Roland is a better deal in the long run. I have never played a Yamaha electronic kit that works the way it is supposed to. The kick signal is always weak amd the mask time is difficult to adjust. The Roland is easily more adaptable and upgradable! I do agree with the other post which suggests that you try out both, even if it means that you have to drive that 100 miles; this is cheap compared to get something that you won't like or use!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 11-24-2006, 08:52 PM

Anybody try these out yet?

http://www.hartdynamics.com/

I've read some good reviews on them, and the demos are impressive.

Of course, they are using the Roland sound module, and I've played the Roland kit, which I really don't like.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

I played a Hart e-kit and loved it. Seemed like quality stuff, but I'm no expert. Joey
Old 12-03-2006, 04:47 AM

just to update you guys, i have ordered the td-12, a much better kit after i went and had a look in store :) should be here in 3 weeks! i can not wait!!!!! :D

cheers guys
Old 12-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

I own a Roland TD-6 kit (they called it the V-Club when I bought it a few years ago). Unfortunately, I can't compare it to the Yamaha kits since I've never used one. I love my Roland kit though. The TD-6 module has tons of sounds that you can tweak a little. I would really love to have one of the better sound modules though. Also, if you ever get bored of the sounds on the module, you can always hook up to your PC or another sampler via MIDI to use more sounds.

Having the electric kit made it very easy for me to practice during 'quiet times'. It also made recording and transporting a breeze. Now I have a few of the pads and the pedals mixed in with my acoustic kit. I have the TD-6 mounted on my hi hat stand so it is very easy to swap samples and tempos on the metronome (for practicing).
Old 12-04-2006, 08:31 AM

The DTXEXPRESS III and the TD-6 (small model) both have rubber pads, theres not much difference there (roland has a TD6 now with a mesh snare pad).

The difference is in the sound modules. If I'm not mistaken, the Yamaha has sampled drum sounds, while the Roland has what they call Composite Object Sound Modeling (COSM), wich are not exactly sound samples.

They dont sound the same at all, Roland has more high frequencies in the cymbal sounds wich makes them more realistic. The Yamaha DTX III has better sounding cymbals then the DTX II (or any previous model) but its not even close to the TD-6 cymbals (thats my opinion).

If you go for the Yamaha, make sure its a DTXPRESS III.

P.S. These drums are not exactly "silent", the kick creates lots of vibrations wich will disturb any downstair neighbour. I made a neighbour friendly impact absorbing drum riser for my TD-6.. check it out onmy web site:

http://www.neurotica.org/drum/kit-desc.htm

Last edited by TriggerThis; 12-04-2006 at 08:47 AM.