DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-25-2006, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegadrummer
I dont think he use double pedal..
ye, he uses a DW single pedal, can't remember what one tho.

My Kit

My Band
Old 09-25-2006, 07:20 PM

travis baker hmmm ... i dont like his style with blink 182 not even with the transplants and i think hes a bit overrated in terms of popularity like what has he done that no one else has? nothing i just think hes another drummer hes not great but hes not horrible he lands in the middle
Old 09-27-2006, 06:31 AM

Sorry but this guy is overrated :(
Old 09-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Senior Administrator

thanks for you opinion but on this board we like you to back it up a bit otherwise no one will respect it at all and it becomes like those glossy leflets you tip out of the newspaper into the bin before sitting down to read.
not that i totally disagree with you.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 09-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Pioneer Member

It really irritates me when people, especially youngions who have no knowledge of drummin, say that Barker is the best drummer. I mean cmon, it's alright to have an opinion and all, but when I try to introduce these people to truly great drummers, they shut them out and focus on whatever is "hip". There'es nothing great about his solos at all really, he just has really fast chops. Just my two cents.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:44 PM

ok, i agree. Well im just anoyed that sooo many (mostly teens) dont give credit where credit is do. Yea this guy is a good drummer dont get me wrong BUT he is not the most musically smart one out there. My personal opinion is that you dont give someone the title "one of the best" unless they have created they're own distinct sound. And unfortunatly Travis does'nt sound a whole lot different than most. There are so many under appreciated drummers out there to give credit to.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer
There'es nothing great about his solos at all really, he just has really fast chops. Just my two cents.
i'll back you up on that one, anyone go to his drummerworld profile and watch all the vids of him, and try and tell anyone here that they arn't exactly the same! lol

My Kit

My Band
Old 10-02-2006, 11:51 PM

To be honest i like Travis Barker. I enjoy Blink 182 even though they can hardly string a guitar line together but hey they're catchy! Im 13 and have only started drumming and although i like him, he is nothing special. I have heard many better, like Buddy Rich, Mike Portnoy, Steve Gadd etc. but you can't say he has no skills, otherwise he wouldnt be where he is today.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:12 PM

it would be cool if there was discussion about him, like his gear, and just wats going on with him at the moment, i think the arguement over him being overrated has been exhausted.

im going to start but askin does any1 know what cymbals hes using with plus 44? in the 'when your heart stops beating' video it looked like a Zildjian 'K' series ride he was using. ne views?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:22 PM
petgeh

I think he uses K's.
I really like the video and the song. His drumming is nothing special, and his kit is amazing.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy147
To be honest i like Travis Barker. I enjoy Blink 182 even though they can hardly string a guitar line together but hey they're catchy! Im 13 and have only started drumming and although i like him, he is nothing special. I have heard many better, like Buddy Rich, Mike Portnoy, Steve Gadd etc. but you can't say he has no skills, otherwise he wouldnt be where he is today.

Very well said, no grounds for idolising him, no grounds for bashing him. It's very easy to dismiss Travis, and the level of skill in his chops that he has attained , purely because the band he plays in is so rubbish and forgettable. That said, there's no denying he comes up with good parts and executes chop very skilfully. I dare say that he's a better drummer than anyone who's posted a bash on this thread. He's paid his dues to the greats and shedded like the best of them.
Definitely a good drummer to transcribe, this helps put into perspective exactly how involved some of his parts are.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer
It really irritates me when people, especially youngions who have no knowledge of drummin, say that Barker is the best drummer.
Rendezvous, I agree to some extent but I also remember being fifteen and thinking that Lars Ulrich was "the best drummer ever" and all I ever wanted to do was play like him. Idolizing a drummer like Travis Barker is only bad if it doesn't help you grow to appreciate other musicians, and types of music.

My interest in music and drumming didn't start with Metallica, but the Black album was a catalyst in my life. I remember listening to that cassette tape over and over (along with Bel Biv Devoe and Body Count) while mowing lawns during the summer. I fantasized about meeting the band and I remember what it felt like to have people challenge my opinion when I said they were my favorite band in the world. It's hard not to get riled when someone you revere is attacked by people who "just don't understand". My love of drumming evolved in a direction that lead me to jazz and afro-cuban drumming and percussion, but I will never deny that once I idolized someone to this extent. It's important to have role models in life, and as we grow we will always evolve our taste to include other role models.

So to all you kids who feel slighted or attacked by folks who just don't get it. Believe me we've all been there before. So keep listening to this guy if you love him, it's important for your growth as a drummer to stay inspired by who you feel is the greatest.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

He just broke his arm.

It seems like any man who hooks up with Paris Hilton ends up with pain and suffering.

That woman must be stopped.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:06 AM

Let's face it: Travis is today's Ringo.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:23 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch Kaboodle
Whats wrong with ringo? Ringo may not be rippin out any insae solos, but he is still a legend in drumming IMO.

as Bernhard would say...

"never bash Ringo." ( i still dont know what that means, but its a good saying ).
Old 10-06-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Wow.

About the worst name association I could think of.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:54 PM

I don't mean that as a slight against the guy. Plenty of good drummers have been inspired by Ringo. Althought John Lennon did say that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles nevermind the World!
Old 10-06-2006, 04:20 PM

Well, perhaps you could enlighten us and precise exactly what stylistic elements you think those two drummers have in common.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:19 PM

I never made any comparison in their styles. Read it again. It was a cultural reference.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:16 PM

DUDES!? Has anyone heard the news that Travis may have a tumour in his arm bone? Get well soon Travis...
Old 10-09-2006, 03:48 AM

yeah he borke it while filming the new +44 video. he broke his arm drumming thats how hard he hits. cause his bones are weak from being a vegetarian for 16 years. he played the european leg of the tour with a broken arm so it got worse. no playing for 6 weeks. but he is trying to learn the +44 set with one arm.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Please please please ellaborate.

I can't see Travis showing enough restraint in "Come Together" to play just bass drum notes in the one section...or playing the simple triplets on the hihats then down the toms. Restraint is not Travis' forte, and restraint IS Ringo.

Ringo plays for the music, Travis plays a beat regardless of the music.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

I have a feeling he's talking in terms of popularity. In getting people, alot of people, excited about drumming just as Ringo did in his day. Nothing to do with the music or styles of the two, because as we all know they really couldn't be more opposite of each other.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

broken arm huh? he must drum hard
Old 10-09-2006, 05:37 PM

although not a fan of Barker (or blink 182) i certainly hope he makes a full recovery.it could be something more than i freak accident if (God forbid) it's a tumor. remember the pitcher for the baseball Giants a few years ago broke his arm pitching in a game and they discovered a tumor. i wish Travis the best.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:50 PM

Yeah I totally agree! But whats really impressing me is that he played the whole european tour, maybe 10 concerts or somethin', with his briken arm. And I have been to the concert in cologne, and he was playing as hard as always although he had so much pain(He says this on his myspace). When I saw him drumming i had never expected that his arm is broken! And I totally hope its not a tumor that would be so sad. I wish Travis the best as well!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat
Where's your supporting evidence? Which songs does Tré suck on?

'thats MY opinion i know some people may not like it and some yes but thats what i think you gotta respect me.'

I don't agree with your opinion... but why should I respect? You make no clear argument as to why Travis is so good.
Dude Travis leaned Blink's hole set of 22 songs from Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch in just a few hours to perform that night! That's not easy to do man, who cares whether you think Blink's drums aren't good or not it's still hard and it's amazing that he did that and how much Blink improoved after he joined them.....He's MADE a NAME for him self. So if you don't like him... then just lay off ok and stop being so critical about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy147
What do you mean he's nothing special! Travis is what made Blink 182 BIG! He changed them to what made them famous with Enema of the State, Take off Your Pants and Jacket, and the Untitled one. He's an amazing drummer who's got lot's of skill and experience! And your right that's why he is where he is today, the BEST Punk/Rock drummer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusty
broken arm huh? he must drum hard
No I'll be a drummer thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Perfection
Sorry but this guy is overrated :(
No he's not overrated! He's a great drummer, who's got good rhythms and makes good sounds. That's why so many people like him...... if you don't like him lay off him and go enjoy your "better" tastes of drums.

Last edited by NUTHA JASON; 10-26-2006 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:58 AM

my 9 year old adores Tavis and would love to be able to perform like him.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Pioneer Member

you can check out how Travis Barker is coming along with the one armed drumming on his myspace www.myspace.com/immawinnerbaby pretty neat stuff. enjoy

-DNS
Old 11-03-2006, 01:06 AM

Hey people, my first comment!

I personally think Travis is good, not the best though. I bet you can all agree he plays very good for the style of music Blink-182 are/were.

For pop-punk most drummers are far more simplistic, I think travis' solos are fairly boring to be honest, even though I am a fan. I think his talent lies more in the song, and how his drum parts fit perfectly towards the song.

Listen to Take off your pants and jacket, alot of the songs (mainly not the singles) are amazingly good for a pop punk drummer. Who knows what he could do in a thrash metal band? No one! He did come from a jazz umbringing I recall, which means he is versatile!

P.S I'm amazed this topic has gone on for so long! I think if you don't like him, stop bitching and like what you like:))

Keep rocking people!
Old 11-03-2006, 07:30 AM

Sorry i gotta get in on this. Travis Barker is a very good Drummer In my opinion. The problem is with most ppl, is they only hear him in blink 182. He had to play punk for the last few years of his life. He was brought up playing Jazz, and is a very technical drummer. I have heard him play a jazz solo once, and i was blown away, he can rock out, and then mellow out as well. Plus his corps drumming is Very good. And he used single DW pedal for a long time, but recently has swithed to Double pedals. in His perfomance on the tonight show with blink,he used his left foot the whole time.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:07 AM

drummer master dave he hasnt switched to double pedals, he only did for a while coz he had broken his right foot. he has now broken his right arm and is playing one handed using his left hand to play cymbals and his left foot to play snare(trigger pad).
Old 11-06-2006, 08:09 AM

Im sorry but he is using double pedals. In the show i saw him with double pedals, he was using his left foot for the bass, and then his right foot for a small 12 inch hi hat control and the other side. But i do know he had broke his foot. I think what i was tryin to get at is he isnt a stranger to them. He can playh them, and im sure if the style asked for it, he could show us all how good he could be at them!
Old 11-09-2006, 07:17 PM

TBH trav isnt actually that fast if u compare him to for example eric sandler (nofx) or the rev (avenged sevenfold). Despite of this the music that blink 182 wrote didnt exactly need to be all out click perfect and rymthm etc. the drumming sounded good in any blink 182 album and did alot too the music. for his genre he is a quality drummer and has inspired lots of kids to pick up sticks and start to learn the drums
OCTO
Old 11-13-2006, 03:28 AM

I agree with OCTO on this one. I think that his drumming fit the music. There isn't one blink song that I could see straight notes on a bass drum fitting in. Also he is well versed there are plenty of interviews where he states he did study plenty of jazz and funk, however he does not enjoy playing those styles as much. Also,not to sound defensive, but I like his drumming a lot on the transplants album.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:29 AM

I agree with OCTO on this one. I think that his drumming fits the music. There isn't one blink song that I could see straight notes on a bass drum fitting in. Also, he is well versed in jazz and latin there are plenty of interviews where he states he did study plenty of jazz and latin rhythems, however he does not enjoy playing those styles as much. Also,not to sound defensive, but I like his drumming a lot on the transplants album.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:20 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumMasterDave View Post
Im sorry but he is using double pedals. In the show i saw him with double pedals, he was using his left foot for the bass, and then his right foot for a small 12 inch hi hat control and the other side. But i do know he had broke his foot. I think what i was tryin to get at is he isnt a stranger to them. He can playh them, and im sure if the style asked for it, he could show us all how good he could be at them!
i don't want to argue, but i think you're wrong. which show did you see him play this way? and if possible post a youtube. now i am aware that he played a letterman show (back with blink) and played the bass with his left foot (b/c of a broken foot) and had a little hihat on the right side.. the song they played was "down"

(keep in mind he may of had a "double pedal" on his kit b/c he needed the left foot versitility (broken right foot) but i doubt he was playing a double kick pedal like your thinking)
Old 11-13-2006, 08:02 AM

Seems like Travis Barker receives many mixed reviews. Well here is my thought i would like to contribute to this discussion... I think Travis is a good technical drummer, as of musicality i think not. His drumming does fit the music, but we tend to forget that what makes a great drummer is to discover new ways of coming up with a beat, its to be an artist... to be creative with it. Now Travis is a good drummer, but he is not great, and could never be compared to a Neil Peart , John Bonham, or Danny Carrey as rock drumming goes. Travis Barker is more of an image rather then a musician, and I dont blame him, because he is makin millions doing what he does ,he gets any freakin girl he wants, and he is also a father, so I think he has many other priorities in life then becoming a better drummer because after all he is good enough for what he wants to do and makes millions doing it and at the end of the day that is what matters.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsMcGee View Post
i don't want to argue, but i think you're wrong. which show did you see him play this way? and if possible post a youtube. now i am aware that he played a letterman show (back with blink) and played the bass with his left foot (b/c of a broken foot) and had a little hihat on the right side.. the song they played was "down"

(keep in mind he may of had a "double pedal" on his kit b/c he needed the left foot versitility (broken right foot) but i doubt he was playing a double kick pedal like your thinking)
hasn't he now gone and broken his arm or summut??

i read in kerrang (not a regular reader) that he has broken his arm and summut bout a tuma???

My Kit

My Band
Old 11-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Pioneer Member

yea hes broken or fractured his right arm i blieve, but he is still touring with plus44 (playing with one arm).