DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-05-2005, 06:02 AM

Default John Bonham

In my opion one of the greatest drummers of all time, Fool In The Rain, When The Levee Breaks, Poor Tom all great grooves. Moby Dick...out of this world and Good Times Bad Times with all the triplets and his lightning fast foot. And D'yer Maker the very first Zeppelin song i could play. One thing i loved about John Bonham is that all his drums seem to fit in the song. Any other comments on John Bonham

p.s. My first post :)
Old 07-05-2005, 06:23 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: John Bonham (Bonzo)

A sound unlike any other. Truly a drum god.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/John_Bonham.html
Old 07-05-2005, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath
A sound unlike any other. Truly a drum god.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/John_Bonham.html
i couldnt of said it any better myself the guy was a fricken animal, i can play Moby Dick with sticks but if i tried to do that with my hands i probley wouldnt be drumming for awhile i dont no how he could play with his hands that hard in the studio and when they were bleeding he kept going...and Fool In The Rain was recorded with 3 MICS, thats insane
Old 07-05-2005, 07:15 AM
Pioneer Member

i read a biography earlier in the year about him, hes one of the greats. some of my favorites are achilles last stand, kashmir, rock n roll, wanton song, good times bad times, and when the levee breaks
Old 07-05-2005, 12:38 PM

Oh,i love bonzo.. Led Zeppelin are one of my favourite group.. The solo in Moby Dick is awesome,anyway,i found out three audio tracks of Fool In The Rain and the solo is built by three different recording
I love the way he says "one thwoah,one twoah three four" :D
Old 07-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Bonzo, is still to this day one of the most influencial rock drummers or drummers period. My favorite part of his playing is his feel or pocket. I recommed that you guys pick up the How the West was Won live CD. Some of the most spectacular drum work I have heard out of Bonham and Led Zeppelin
Old 07-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Pioneer Member

John Bonham is without a doubt one of the greatest drummers ever, and arguably the greatest rock drummer to ever live. When I first heard Moby Dick live on my computer I was completely blown away, and then to find out that he played with his hands! I was shocked how loud he could play with just his hands.
John Bonham set a standard for rock drumming and his influence on rock drummers is noticeable in almost every rock player. Bonham is still one of my main influences.
The man's a bloody animal!
Old 07-05-2005, 08:59 PM

John Bonham is personally my favorite drummer. I loved how he would just beat the crap out of his drums. Going thru a couple pairs of drumsticks a night. I got that book on john bonham "a thunder of drums". it was a very interesting book to read. i remember reading one part where it said that he was playing at a night club and broke a crash cymbal, a bass pedal, a drum head, hi-hats, and im sure some drumsticks while doing that. I have the zeppelin dvd, with the moby dick drum solo. best thing i have ever heard and seen in drumming. john bonham is not just the best rock drummer ever, but the greatest drummer ever to live.

"Just watch me tonight, I'm gonna totally demolish this drumkit." -John Bonham
Old 07-06-2005, 01:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
"Just watch me tonight, I'm gonna totally demolish this drumkit." -John Bonham
Ha Ha. That's an awesome quote from Bonham. He probably lived up to his promise as well.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:22 AM

Ever heard of this quote by Bonzo...he once said to Robert Plant

"You ARE good. But you are half as good as a singer as I am a drummer"

Comments anyone?? and please, dont point out the arrogance in this quote...he was just being honest....:)=
Old 07-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Heh. Yeah, I saw that one before. But he was right...the man was just a complete animal!
Old 07-06-2005, 01:30 AM
Administrator Emeritus

I think it comes down to defining the terms. Plant was a great rock singer, exactly as good of a singer as he needed to be for an all-time great rock band, but comparing his singing technically to some of the greatest singers from all genres, he falls short. Bonham, on the other hand, was a drumming god. So they were equally matched in Led Zeppelin, but Bonham was extraordinary to the point of inspiring awe and wonder.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:33 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath
I think it comes down to defining the terms. Plant was a great rock singer, exactly as good of a singer as he needed to be for an all-time great rock band, but comparing his singing technically to some of the greatest singers from all genres, he falls short. Bonham, on the other hand, was a drumming god. So they were equally matched in Led Zeppelin, but Bonham was extraordinary to the point of inspiring awe and wonder.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:47 AM

i have this 4 dvd bootleg concert of Zeppelin and the camera is mainly focused of Bonham and in moby dick he plays with his hands and breaks the drum head...he truely was an animal
Old 07-06-2005, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seras
Ever heard of this quote by Bonzo...he once said to Robert Plant

"You ARE good. But you are half as good as a singer as I am a drummer"

Comments anyone?? and please, dont point out the arrogance in this quote...he was just being honest....:)=

yea i have heard that before, heres a website with lots of quotes to bonzo.

http://www.geocities.com/bonzofreak/quotes.html
Old 07-06-2005, 04:30 AM

i respect bonham but i didnt like moby dick solo i didtn like anything.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlow
Bonzo, is still to this day one of the most influencial rock drummers or drummers period. My favorite part of his playing is his feel or pocket. I recommed that you guys pick up the How the West was Won live CD. Some of the most spectacular drum work I have heard out of Bonham and Led Zeppelin
i went to the library today with my mom and i saw How The West Was Won 3 disc CD and i remember seeing on here someone recommended it i look on the back Disc 2 Track 4 Moby Dick 19 min long i pop it in and thought it might get boaring but i was listening to it and i couldnt believe how good it was i mean i knew bonzo was a god but this solo was unbelievable its insane he is 2 good for words i recommened that CD to anyone who likes Bonzo
Old 07-06-2005, 07:05 AM

I'm not sure I can add much to what's been said...
He's definetly one of my faves...I got into Led Zeppelin about the same time I got into drumset, so Bonham was probably my first real influence on the kit and that wasn't a bad place to start. :) "When the Levee Breaks" was one of the first grooves I learned.

Hey...MunsieMan mentioned mic's and that reminded me...I heard that "Levee" was recorded (the drums at least) with only 2 mic's, one 10 feet away and the other 20. Anybody know if I've got that right?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:12 AM
Pioneer Member

ive read that his kit was set up at the foot of a stairwell, and that there was just a sterio pair of microphones placed on the second landing.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-MaN91
ive read that his kit was set up at the foot of a stairwell, and that there was just a sterio pair of microphones placed on the second landing.
i heard that to that would explain the way his drums sounded if it was set up in a stairwell only bonham would do something like that
Old 07-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Pioneer Member

man i'm glad to see that you all love bonham soo much, the last time this forum was up there were some pretty bad arguments cause i said he was better than Peart.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:54 AM
Jason Dorn

Great drummer mabye not as technical as a Peart or Bozzio but I find him to have a feel and pocket that these drummers dont. And power man I dont think I've ever heard someone play like that he is a true monster or should I say was to bad such a waste I can only imagine what he would be doing now. Probably the most influential rock drummer ever. Plus he probably has the strongest and one of the quickest right foot I've heard. I never say better or best in talking about drummers because its so subjective but he certainly is one of the greatest.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham to the moon
man i'm glad to see that you all love bonham soo much, the last time this forum was up there were some pretty bad arguments cause i said he was better than Peart.
that didnt happen to be on the Taborama Forum did it? and ya bonzo had a powerful right foot im trying to develope mine its almost as fast as his but it is DEFANITLY not as strong

Last edited by MunsieMan; 07-07-2005 at 02:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-07-2005, 07:22 PM

Great Drummer Great Band.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Pioneer Member

well, yeah, Bonzo was just great, BUT...we have to admit that we wouldn't been discussing and admiring him if he wasn't dead...like with Elvis who is earning more money than he ever did

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 07-08-2005, 12:02 AM
DWMan

Yeah, Bonzo is awesome...

But is it true that he is completely self-taught?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:58 AM
CerpinTaxt

Bonzo is by far the best rock drummer of all time, a complete animal. He was quite posibly the man to define the word "hard hitter"
Old 07-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Pioneer Member

did any of you check those bonham drum outtakes.... a friend of mine sent me a link that had like 20 bonham drum outtakes!! haha.... i downloaded all of 'em... the link isn't active any more, but its just bonham and his massive drum sound! frikkin awesome! and my buddy who sent me the link, he's an ace guitar player...... he took one of the tracks, cut it up, and then made an entire tune out of it!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/bl...lues_music.htm
check it out... its the first track there, its called 'evil'..... its instrumental, and has a friend of his making noises in the background, but its awesome. that's BONHAM playing drums. you'll know the instant you play the track.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Stu_Strib

Two things that mark a great drummer, and Bonzo has them both:

1) You can tell right away who it is playing

2) The parts seem simple and you can look at the notes written out, but you still can't replicated the sound (groove, pocket, feel, etc.)

As for him being dead comment, that's just silly. True, some people's legacy becomes much bigger in death that it ever would have been during life (Elvis, Marylin Monroe, for example). Bonham's skills were never as dubious as many of the other deceased artists.

He may be dead, but some of the greatest rock drumming lives on in the recordings. Even today, people strive to achieve that sound.

Whereas many art forms are striving for new and progressive styles, rock can always fall back on Bonham style drums and do well.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:39 PM
shootz

Gotta be one of my favorites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Old 07-15-2005, 06:37 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Freeloader
did any of you check those bonham drum outtakes.... a friend of mine sent me a link that had like 20 bonham drum outtakes!! haha.... i downloaded all of 'em... the link isn't active any more, but its just bonham and his massive drum sound! frikkin awesome! and my buddy who sent me the link, he's an ace guitar player...... he took one of the tracks, cut it up, and then made an entire tune out of it!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/bl...lues_music.htm
check it out... its the first track there, its called 'evil'..... its instrumental, and has a friend of his making noises in the background, but its awesome. that's BONHAM playing drums. you'll know the instant you play the track.
That song Evil rocks!
Old 07-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Senior Administrator

yeah that dude is talented with his mixing and bonzo is just typically enormous!!!

I WANT I WANT!!! THOSE DRUMS ONLY TRACKS FREDDY!!!

J

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 07-15-2005, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
yeah that dude is talented with his mixing and bonzo is just typically enormous!!!

J
I have them as well, if you have aol instant messenger send me a message my screen name is Gorm9999 I ll give em to you.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:59 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON

J
hey man, you know, i've actually been trying to send you the files through gmail, but something's seriously wrong with my connection. i'll keep trying and send atleast 2 to you before today SOMEHOW. i'm in india man, the internet connection here sucks!
haha. i'm going out of town later today and won't be home for 10 days (though i will log on here as often as i can) so i'd better send you atleast a few of the tracks today. hahaha.
and didn't i tell ya'll that track is awesome. oh yeah, if you scroll down on his page, you'll find a track called 'beaten into submission' on his page that i played drums and bass on. actually, its on my soundclick page too, and i posted a link to it in my introduction thread.
check it out, that guy is an absolutely monstrous guitar player and i feel so proud to be his friend.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:28 PM

Default bonham fill

im pretty sure you guys have a idea of what im talking about when i say "the signature john bonham fill." if you listen to the guitar solo in The Stairway to Heaven, bonham does a fill that sounds like it comprised of sixteenth notes on the floor toms. Im trying to figure out exactly what hes playin. sometimes it sounds like he incorporates the bass drum as well. In anycase, did anyone figure out exactly how he plays it?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Milo

Default Re: bonham fill

Sounds like the first stroke is the snare then he moves on to the toms fast The bass drum is the last note. Kinda like 'snare,tom,tom,BD' Then he does almost the opposite coming out of the fill, snare being the last note. 'tom,tom,BD,snare'
Old 07-26-2005, 10:24 PM

At first, I never knew how he did it. Then one day I kept on trying different patterns until it sounded just like bonzo's.
First you hit the snare and bass drum then move your left hand to the rack tom and hit it then your right hand to the floor tom and hit it. So it goes like: snare/bass,rack tom,floor tom. Tell me how its sounds after you have tried it.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:37 AM

i always play it like this

snare
tom
floor tom
bass drum

snare with your right hand tom with your right hand floor tom with your right hand then bass drum with your right foot. He does it in the Rock And Roll Outtro alot to (6 times)
Old 07-27-2005, 05:57 AM

No. Your all wrong.

Snare, snare, rack tom, bass, floor tom.

Then repeat fast but on the repeat you dont need 2 snares.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:59 AM

Ok in rock and roll it might be

snare, rack, floor, bass.