DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Jon Theodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj2302
i also think he blows those guys like virgil donati or dennis chambers out of the water, just for the fact that he can make insane grooves that actually fit a band. it seems to me that a lot of the extremely chops oriented drummers play like they are doing an exercise, while jon plays with such fire and musicality yet still manages to be so fast, intricate, and complex, while supporting a 8 piece band. from what i've heard of the above "chops" drummers, they are kinda of lacking when it comes to supporting or complementing other musicians with a great groove. not to make a blanket statement at all though, just to make a point for discussion that i think these guys are better playing by themselves than with others, which goes against what for me is the litmus test of great musicians.
i'm a jon theodore fan myself, he's even in my avatar, but i don't think anyone on earth will agree with you there.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Gold Member

I saw Mars Volta in 2001, i think, when they supported RHCP on their By The Way tour. I think he is a fantastic showman, and his interview in the recent rhythm mag make's him out to a great chap too. Sure his skill is outstanding, but there's no point in comparing him to players like Chambers, it's like the other end of the spectrum.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:12 AM

I love that beat up stack of cymbals he has... fantastic drummer
Old 02-14-2006, 02:57 PM

Our band's been talking about covering "Cicatriz Esp" (our guitar player's fav. band is TMV, and it was his turn to pick one). I guess I'll just get to growing me a few limbs then.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intooder
Our band's been talking about covering "Cicatriz Esp" (our guitar player's fav. band is TMV, and it was his turn to pick one). I guess I'll just get to growing me a few limbs then.
Covering Mars Volta songs is a serious challenge. I've been working on Son et Lumiere and Inertiatic ESP with a couple of friends - to be honest, drummers (and bassists too) have one of the easier parts to learn because it's more or less a "normal" part - unlike the guitar. I feel for any guitar player who attempts to take on Omar's cracked-out stuff - it's intensely bizarre. That and the fact that it's very difficult to capture the same vibe live that they had in the studio recording - both their albums are very much studio productions.

Good luck on Cicatriz - it's one of my favorite grooves on both cds.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:15 AM

an amazing amazing drummer.
great grooves and chops from outer space(as modern drummer put it).
great band. insane guitar solos.
love the whole old school sound.
one of my fav Jon Theodore grooves would be the one on their track "eat the sun"
*np: mars volta- Drunkship Of Lanterns.
would love to see these guys live sometime,
do they have a dvd out?
Old 02-15-2006, 01:17 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruManiac19
an amazing amazing drummer.
great grooves and chops from outer space(as modern drummer put it).
great band. insane guitar solos.
love the whole old school sound.
one of my fav Jon Theodore grooves would be the one on their track "eat the sun"
*np: mars volta- Drunkship Of Lanterns.
would love to see these guys live sometime,
do they have a dvd out?
they have a live album out (scabdates) but i was personally unimpressed by what i heard of it. probably better to see them in person.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDirt
they have a live album out (scabdates) but i was personally unimpressed by what i heard of it. probably better to see them in person.

hope i can see them live someday!!!
Old 02-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Stu_Strib

Everytime I try to hear for myself how good Theodore is, I fall asleep during one of the many 15 minute sound-effects section of their tunes.

I don't get this band at all. If I wanted new age sound effects, I'd go to walmart and buy one of those cheezy "waterfall and wind" tapes!

Actually, when they do play, they are a great sounding band! I just wish they'd ditch the 15 minute long acid trips and write something a little more listener friendly.

That guy shreds on drums and his sound is really impressive too. But then we are back to 15 minutes of casio keyboard sound effects! Hey, listen to this, we're artisitic!

Ok, I'm sure you all like it alot, but I wish they'd just play more...
Old 02-15-2006, 07:10 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Everytime I try to hear for myself how good Theodore is, I fall asleep during one of the many 15 minute sound-effects section of their tunes.
That's my complaint too. Well. That and the fact that when they do play they sound worryingly close to Yes and Led Zeppelin. If they'd play more and develop a bit more of a signature sound beyond being Yes Zeppelin Plus More Bombast then I'd probably like them quite a lot - they can all play seriously well.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
That's my complaint too. Well. That and the fact that when they do play they sound worryingly close to Yes and Led Zeppelin. If they'd play more and develop a bit more of a signature sound beyond being Yes Zeppelin Plus More Bombast then I'd probably like them quite a lot - they can all play seriously well.

I agree with letting go of most of those long sound effect sections. It would be one thing if they all would actually be playing cool free-time things themselves, but its pretty much all keyboard and maybe guitar effects. And they go on for too long, I wanna hear the music.

OK enough rambling. They can play pretty darn well too. I wouldn't go as far as saying theyve mastered their instruments as much as Steve Howe or Squire, but I still enjoy the playing alot!
Old 02-17-2006, 05:16 AM

yeah, they've fallen in love with their avant garde astro-mingus acid jazz interlude sections recently. i've got to agree with one of the above posts, scabdates didn't do it for me, and i usually dig them in a serious way. the sound quality was just bad, which strange since both times i've seen them they've sounded great.

thankfully, when the play live they are all playing the free jazz stuff on their own instruments, which for me makes it so much better and gives their shows some real scope and an overarching connection between all their songs, just like the albums sans the samplers.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Wow I just got Scabdates!! I completely dig it, even more than their studio stuff. It's completely raw, intense and tripping. As for the unending interludes I already heard some other bands doin it much more longer and sound more pretentious.
Jon Theodor is a complete freaking animal on his set!!!

https://soundcloud.com/#sitas-master
Old 02-18-2006, 11:35 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchein Vouivra
As for the unending interludes I already heard some other bands doin it much more longer and sound more pretentious.
Yeah, me too. But that doesn't exactly excuse it. Two wrongs don't make a right, and all that.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:49 AM
Pioneer Member

the lesser of two evils is still evil

not considering it evil, but, hey.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahznightsky
the lesser of two evils is still evil

not considering it evil, but, hey.
i do. it definitely detracts from their songs.

nothing irks me as much as the three minutes of near-silence in the middle of cicatriz ESP - if it weren't for the search function, that song would be absolutely ruined.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:25 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDirt
i do. it definitely detracts from their songs.

nothing irks me as much as the three minutes of near-silence in the middle of cicatriz ESP - if it weren't for the search function, that song would be absolutely ruined.

the exact song im thinking of. the first silent and then building part before the first chorus is kinda cool ... but even that i feel is a few seconds too long
Old 02-19-2006, 05:35 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahznightsky
the exact song im thinking of. the first silent and then building part before the first chorus is kinda cool ... but even that i feel is a few seconds too long
yeah - i can deal with that though. at least there you get the sort of surprise attack of the first chorus, which i can at least see has a musical purpose.

but the three minutes of inexplicable warbling and ambient background noise is inexcusable to me. i have taken a couple of their songs into home studio and edited out the unnecessary parts... much better songs in my opinion.

but i love them like crazy anyway. still one of my favorite bands.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:39 AM

i gotta say, i don't understand how/why people compare this band to Zepellin. Not familar with Yes so much but Zep? i infact think they've grown ABOVE and beyond the like of those bands. Zep kicks ass but they infact DO have their own sound, different from Zep. It's a shame and makes the one who offered that comment seem shallow and quick to place judgment on a band that does not immediately satisfy one's traditional grounds for musicianship or feeling. Could you please elaborate on those comparisons?

At the risk of coming off as overly defending, their long periods of no playing and guitar effects are part of what make the band. It's a ride, not so much a smiling entertainment clown.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:06 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInBlack
i gotta say, i don't understand how/why people compare this band to Zepellin. Not familar with Yes so much but Zep? i infact think they've grown ABOVE and beyond the like of those bands. Zep kicks ass but they infact DO have their own sound, different from Zep. It's a shame and makes the one who offered that comment seem shallow and quick to place judgment on a band that does not immediately satisfy one's traditional grounds for musicianship or feeling. Could you please elaborate on those comparisons?

At the risk of coming off as overly defending, their long periods of no playing and guitar effects are part of what make the band. It's a ride, not so much a smiling entertainment clown.
Basically the comparisons to Led Zep are based on various things, but mostly the vocals. The comparisons to Yes are based on pretty much everything else. Grab yourself a copy of "Close to the edge" and tell me the Mars Volta haven't listened to that one obsessively for a few years.

Before I heard TMV a friend of mine mentioned them. I asked what they sounded like. He said "Yes, but with Robert Plant singing". Pretty much sums it up, IMHO. Except the rest of the band occasionally drops into sounding quite zep-ish too. Cicatriz ESP sounds a lot like Achilles Last Stand to me from a rhythm section POV, particularly on Scabdates when they play it faster than usual.

They do occasionally break out something that sounds non-specifically 70s but not directly identifiable as Zep or Yes. But I've yet to hear anything which makes me go "Hey, that sounds like the Mars Volta" when I hear another band doing it.

Also, please don't call me "shallow" because I disagree with you on the originality of the band. It must be noted that of the two major influences I named you appear to only be familiar with one, so I think it's a bit early for you to start throwing mud, no?
Old 02-20-2006, 05:08 PM

yeah, i think one of the unfortunate thing about rocking heavy is the inevitable zeppelin comparisons. personally, i think a lot of people use it as a way to marginalize bands, that, while there is certainly an influence of zeppelin, are not really out there flaunting their influence.

for example, i never hear people bashing the black crowes for their zeppelin influence, and geez, they toured with jimmy page and practical transformed into the band for 4 months, playing a bunch of deep zeppelin cuts. whereas the mars volta are surely influence by the heaviness of the sound, but last i recall, i don't remember plant singing in spanish, nor zeppelin albums employing use of free jazz, obvious latin rhythms, and, most of all, PUNK. that is the biggest thing that gets me. they play at tempos that zeppelin rarely approached. not saying that they are better for it, but it's just a difference. read any interview with jon theodore and he'll mention his rock influence but obsess over billy cobham and all the hardcore drummer friends who have influenced him
Old 04-21-2006, 03:17 AM

I think TMV are quite similar to The Mahavishnu Orchestra, you cans ee some links their, plus they were one of Jon's magor influences.

I saw TMV when they cam to AUS early this year and my god, best concert iv'e ever been to, Jon's durmming is such an experience! The entire concert is an amazing experience!
Old 04-21-2006, 03:24 AM
millerdakiller

Theodore is easily my favorite drummer.

He is so expressive on just the snare drum. He has so much feel.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:08 AM

here's a treat...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4wHI...20mars%20volta

love the breakdown at about the midway point on this vid
Old 07-26-2006, 06:04 AM

I totally agree with you..Jon Theodore is just sooo amazing (favorite drummer!!!)
Mars Volta's rythm section is awesome!

I'm a big Mars Volta fan too but I heard that Jon wouldn't play for their up-coming tour (Amputechture). He has back problems or something like that...
Old 07-26-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervitalle_decay
I heard that Jon wouldn't play for their up-coming tour (Amputechture). He has back problems or something like that...

I hope that isn't so! I think he is one of the best "new" drummers out today, and is a key element to TMV's sound. I wonder who could possibly replace him?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:44 PM

Blake Fleming from Laddio Bolocko or Dazzling Killmen will replace him...
Old 07-29-2006, 11:04 PM

Does anyone even have a clue, or theory as to why Blake Fleming is replacing Jon?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:34 PM

there are lots of rumours going around. most of them about how Jon just didn't like the direction the band was taking. I think we'll see some great stuff featuring Jon in the future. TMV lost the biggest part of what made the live shows so great.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:45 PM

But is Jon really leaving the band or he's just not going to do the tour for Amputechture?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Pioneer Member

Just found out Jon Theodore has left The Mars Volta The band cast that performed Amputechture will be modified for live dates that begin imminently, with drummer Jon Theodore replaced by Blake Fleming, formerly of Laddio Bolocko and Dazzling Killmen and actually the drummer who played on the very first Mars Volta demos.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:50 AM

Default Jon Theodore

If anyone's familiar with the Mars Volta, and you're a drummer, you no doubt know about Jon Theodore. I was curious as to what heads he uses on his reso side...I know he uses Remo CS clear on the batter side of his toms and bass, with a clear emporer on his reso on his bass. But what's the reso on his toms?

And just a side note...We'll miss you Jon :-(
Old 08-01-2006, 08:55 AM

From what I've heard, Jon was having back problems. Drumming wasn't helping. From an interview with Jon about the new record, he had said that the drumming was so insane that even he was having trouble with it. That's a lot to say coming from him...So perhaps touring every single night playing those songs COULD screw up his back pretty bad...But I don't know. And someone on The Comatorium forum (official mars volta message board) said that Jon wasn't real crazy about the new record to begin with.

As for Blake Flemming, if anyone has heard the original Mars Volta demos when they first started, Blake was the original drummer. And if anyone's heard Omar's "A Manuel Dexterity", Blake did all the drumming on that record too. He's not bad; in fact he's pretty damn good. But NO ONE can replace Jon in that band...No one can replace his style and his way of playing. He has big shoes to fill...I hope he can pull it off.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:30 AM

This look to to be permanent but I'm not really worried. Jon is such a capable musician I'm sure he'll do something good. I'd love to see him in a him-ish(not the finnish metal band) band again.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:54 PM

Ahh man I'd love that too...I have a video of an entire live set from HiM and it was amazing. There is some other drummer who's playing too and him and Jon kick ass. They're a really good band.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:32 PM

Remo coated Ambassador on snare batter, CS black dots on tom and bass drum batters, clear Ambassadors on bottoms of toms and on front of bass drum.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:52 PM

What do you mean we'll miss you?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

he's not with the mars volta anymore.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofriendlyunitshifter
he's no with the mars volta anymore.
Holy crap! He was so good with the MV. Where'd you find this out?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelins666
Holy crap! He was so good with the MV. Where'd you find this out?

Try www.marsvolta.com