DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Keith Moon

For me, I think that Keith Moon is a great drummer because he got into the music, listening to his drumming and watching him, it just seems like he had a lot of spunk and got into the music and went crazy. Hard to explain what I'm thinking I guess..
Old 04-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I've been playing a few Who covers with my band recently and each time I play along to the records I get a good feeling and a vibe from the man. There's an undeniable push and presence to his playing; however sloppy it may be at points. 'Won't Get Fooled Again' is just plain FUN to play.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:16 AM

I love The Who and Keith Moon. I know he was a bit of a drunk, but he was very influencial. I especially like "Happy Jack", because Keith does some cool fills there. Plus, he makes better faces when he plays than Lars Ulrich.

- Marc
Old 04-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham to the moon
where did u get this information? and those who gave you it, how did they get the information, i dont think they ever recorded what his BPM was. And if they slowed down a tape to determine it, then he would hold the record for fastest BPM, am i wrong?
That was it, yeah I heard that they had that on VH1 I was trying to remember what the speed was and that was it.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:57 AM

Keith Moon is amazing. The tracks "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "The Real Me" are two of the greatest drumming songs in history. Up there with Bonham and Peart.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:09 PM

Such a shame that he died so young.

I always enjoyed this really early clip of "My Generation" on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IToKBNMZJKo
Old 05-12-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsrock
Keith Moon is amazing. The tracks "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "The Real Me" are two of the greatest drumming songs in history. Up there with Bonham and Peart.
YES!! But I would have to add in "Bargain". One of my favorites. It has great drummer, especially the end.

What I love about Keith Moon besides the aggressive playing and huge fills and constant cymbal crashes (he puts crashes in the darnest places), is his creation of drum parts was so unconventional. He didn't always play a basic HH, BD,SD beat he would incorporate different toms or cymbals, or no cymbals only drums during different parts of the songs. It really makes you want to listen to the songs. It especially added to the fact that the Who were telling stories through their albums, Rock musicals, and the drums part definitely lent themselves to that.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spipedong
Such a shame that he died so young.

I always enjoyed this really early clip of "My Generation" on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IToKBNMZJKo

lol the sound seem to dissapear from his toms at the end of the song . great fun they must have .. fun to watch . great band

does anyone have anything live we can see, using his big kit? 77-78
Old 06-13-2006, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambian89
I love The Who and Keith Moon. I know he was a bit of a drunk, but he was very influencial. I especially like "Happy Jack", because Keith does some cool fills there. Plus, he makes better faces when he plays than Lars Ulrich.

- Marc
If you want to see him having fun in a song, check out "A Quick One While He's Away". You can see this on "The Kids are Alright" dvd. You can also see him playing his "Pictures of Lily" kit during this dvd.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Beat Spector

Followed the advice here somewhere above that you have to watch the Isle of wight video/dvd.
Well, i did that.
WTF?!?! :-) I mean: his short video's here are pretty hilariously brillian but nothing compared to the dvd from this live set.
What a crazy piece of sh*** and I love him for it.he's so totally "in" the music he plays.
a bit chaotic but brilliant play, and then, gosh, those faces he makes...
Old 06-13-2006, 02:31 PM

Hes a maniac on a stool, ive allways seen him as being allright...Im not a fan of the gold fish solo though. If you didnt get to see his facial expressions the drumming wouldnt be half as exciting...
Old 06-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Spector
Followed the advice here somewhere above that you have to watch the Isle of wight video/dvd.
Well, i did that.
WTF?!?! :-) I mean: his short video's here are pretty hilariously brillian but nothing compared to the dvd from this live set.
What a crazy piece of sh*** and I love him for it.he's so totally "in" the music he plays.
a bit chaotic but brilliant play, and then, gosh, those faces he makes...
he and pete townsend crack me up on that dvd.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:30 PM

Keith Moon is one of the greatest drummers ever i dont think anyone had as much fun playing the drums as him. He is one of the biggest examples that drumming doesnt have to be perfect(as long as your good at being imperfect :S) But he is great most definitly and i know i look up to his drumming.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonham990
Keith Moon is one of the greatest drummers ever i dont think anyone had as much fun playing the drums as him.

I think he was having so much fun cause he was sauced-up most of the time....

The man was entertaining - thou a little sloppy...but still played some of the most incredible and energetic stuff....

My favorite songs to play to are Who Are You and The Real Me....
Old 06-20-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernal drummer
lol the sound seem to dissapear from his toms at the end of the song . great fun they must have .. fun to watch . great band

does anyone have anything live we can see, using his big kit? 77-78
The sound isn't synched up with the video that's why! I have that video and that clip is one of my most wathced. Along with A Quick One and Shout and Shimmy from TKAA. And of course the Live at the Isle of Wight DVD. If you want to see amazing drumming, watch that short clip of Shout and Shimmy. NOBODY was doing that back then. And I think he was all of 17. Anyone who can say that Moon is not one of the best or the best must not know much about him or his playing or his influence on other drummers. It's sad to me that his manic behavior overshadows his playing. Too bad that's the first thing most people think of.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:55 PM

In my youth - I was a total jazz/classical snob (well the truth is that I listened to a lot more fusion than true 'jazz' at that point), BUT - The Who was about the only rock band that I listened to, causing me to catch total hell from my other musician friends who shared my disdain for such simplistic, cretinous drudge... ahh - the hubris of youth...

anyway - Keith has always fascinated me, both his playing and the total insanity that was his life. It amazes me to this day that watching a clip of him playing, it's always like there's a disconnect between the visual image and the sound - I can never quite figure out what the hell he's doing by watching him - it's totally bizarre and I can't think of any other drummer who does this, watching anyone else, the visual and audio images fit together logically.

but for anyone with doubts about Keith's cred, there's a story about Elvin Jones in the 60's(http://www.thehighhat.com/Potlatch/004/jones.html), where someone played songs of the big hot 'rockers' (in a blind test) and his description of Keith was simply - The man is a drummer." - nuff said.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Keith Moon had a unique sound, that's for sure. I don't know anyone that doesn't jump up and start air drumming air guitaring when baba o'reily plays.

Sloppy style? maybe. But man did he open up possibilities to a whole generation of rock drummers: riding on crashes, fills everywhere, bass drum all over the place. His influence is everywhere.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Pioneer Member

ok, i just heard "live at leeds".
i'm back into keith moon in a huge way now, he's really great. and tighter than some people might think, though still a little sloppy.
but above all he's fun, and thats what the audience usually wants.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:08 PM

There will never be antoher keith moon. He is probably the most unique drummer of the sixties. He was just a mad man and his personality really comes through his playing. I think it's pretty rad that some one can let them selves go that much while performing. Everyone needs to find the Who at "The Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus." In my opinon that is the best rock performance of all time. They do, A Quick One, and it sounds about10 billion times better then the recorded version.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefty
There will never be antoher keith moon. He is probably the most unique drummer of the sixties. He was just a mad man and his personality really comes through his playing. I think it's pretty rad that some one can let them selves go that much while performing. Everyone needs to find the Who at "The Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus." In my opinon that is the best rock performance of all time. They do, A Quick One, and it sounds about10 billion times better then the recorded version.
The Rolling Stone were so showed up by the Who that the Rock and Roll Circus was never realeased until recently. Mick didn't like the Who stealing HIS show.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:37 AM

Yeah totally I heard that's the reason why it didn't come out in the 60's. Mick Jagger is totally ridiculous in that. Another great performance on that video is The Dirty Mac featuring Keith Richards on bass, John Lennon, Eric Clapton, and the one and only Mitch Mitchell on drums performing the Beatles tune Yer Blues.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:16 PM

I was looking at some Gene Krupa videos on Drummerworld the other day, and I immediately thought of Keith! The facial expressions, the way his arms thrust out toward the cymbals....it was a connection for me, and I agree with the people here who are careful about giving respect to those who have come before.

Keith was extremely melodic, and I think all of us can learn from that.

I also think that we can all learn from him letting his frenetic kinetics get the better of him--the most healing aspect of playing the drums for me anyway, is becoming more controlled and balanced in my day to day life.

He's always been one of my heroes because he was always totally himself, and did everything straight from the heart. I wish he had been able to overcome the alcoholism.....
Old 08-11-2006, 07:44 PM

Keith Moon is the father of modern rock drumming. There were definitely better drummers in that era, but Keith was the only one that fit The Who. I read his biography, and back before they were The Who(The High Numers, I think?), they had a drummer as boring as Ringo Starr.
Just to be clear, I am ragging on Ringo.
He was boring, and that's why he fit a boring band, just like Keith Moon fit a band as wild and influencing as he was.
Before, you know, he took twelve Heminevrin and died of an overdose.
SOAD
Old 08-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Moon

This is how much I respect his playing.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

I remember hearing songs like "Can't Explain" and "Happy Jack" when I was just starting to get into drums and just going NUTS! I would air drum Keith's parts even before I had a kit. You know a drummer's good when they make you have such a pronounced reaction.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:17 AM

I dont think there's any question that Kieth is one of the top ROCK drummers of all time, where perfection is not nearly as important as style. Rock drumming is about being part of the band, and I think that if he and someone like Bonham would've been in each other's shoes, neither band would be as great as they were.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:37 AM

now now every one is getting confused it wasent moons feet that had machine gun speed it was his hands pete towshend in a interview said that they mesuerd his speed and it was the aquivilent to a machine gun its on this link here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbrJk...elated&search=

if you to 7:00 mins and watch from there thats where pete says about his speed

2ndly the 2 difereces about john bon and keith moon
jhon bonham had the fastest foot on the planet and fast hands and he was very very thecnical
moon was fast as buggery and his fills where amazingly briliand need proof go on this and you will see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0XknwXqLDo
Old 10-13-2006, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loutopdrummer

2ndly the 2 difereces about john bon and keith moon
jhon bonham had the fastest foot on the planet and fast hands and he was very very thecnical
moon was fast as buggery and his fills where amazingly briliand need proof go on this and you will see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0XknwXqLDo
If you want my opinion, the video actually illustrates that there are quite a few other differences between Bonzo and Keith Moon

Anyways that second video is quite funny to watch. I've read about those big endings where they would destroy everything, but never had the chance to see it.

I also read something from Neil Peart, explaining that Keith Moon was his idol for a long time, but that he eventually found out that he just wasn't able to play like him, because it was too disorganised. Just didn't fit his personnality.

Not my cup of tea either, but Moon was certainly one of a kind.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:23 PM

I'm personally a huge fan of Keith Moon. Maybe he wasn't the most organized drummer, but he had such attitude behind the set. Definately a huge fan of him.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:29 PM

Some of you people on here don't know what you're talking about. Keith Moon is definitely a legendary drummer. He definitely belongs in Modern Drummer Magazine's "Drum Hall Of Fame". Keith Moon is influential as hell and was a very innovative drummer. I rank him second on my list for "Best Rock Drummer Of All Time". Bonham is first. It's true that he's overrated a bit, but so is Neil Peart. But Moon's timekeeping is underrated. I personally don't feel that his timekeeping was bad or a problem. On all of The Who's albums that I've listened to and all of the live performances I've seen or heard, Moon was always on time. He was a bit sloppy in his playing, but he was so unique and distinct. And I've read that he was always humble when people complimented him on his drumming. He would deny that he had chops. Another thing I've read is that Moon was at a Billy Cobham drum clinic once and Cobham let him play. Cobham commented to Moon something along the lines of: "I don't know what it is that you're doing, but keep on doing it." High praise indeed. Kenney Jones is underrated. Take care. Later.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:53 AM

Listen to 'Live at Leeds' - no more needs said on Keith Moon's Drumming after that!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:02 PM

So true, that is an amazing CD.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:37 PM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Minadeo
Some of you people on here don't know what you're talking about. Keith Moon is definitely a legendary drummer. He definitely belongs in Modern Drummer Magazine's "Drum Hall Of Fame". Keith Moon is influential as hell and was a very innovative drummer. I rank him second on my list for "Best Rock Drummer Of All Time". Bonham is first. It's true that he's overrated a bit, but so is Neil Peart. But Moon's timekeeping is underrated. I personally don't feel that his timekeeping was bad or a problem. On all of The Who's albums that I've listened to and all of the live performances I've seen or heard, Moon was always on time. He was a bit sloppy in his playing, but he was so unique and distinct. And I've read that he was always humble when people complimented him on his drumming. He would deny that he had chops. Another thing I've read is that Moon was at a Billy Cobham drum clinic once and Cobham let him play. Cobham commented to Moon something along the lines of: "I don't know what it is that you're doing, but keep on doing it." High praise indeed. Kenney Jones is underrated. Take care. Later.
Hello Matt,

Michael here. You sound to me like a real Who fan. I'm a fan also, but to put Keith Moon 2nd Best rock drummer of all time, is a bit of a stretch. Not to say he wasn't a great rock drummer, 'cause he was, but you're leaving out alot of other drummers that I believe were more influentual then Moon. Such as Paice, Appice, Bruford, Palmer, Copeland, Baker, Mitchell, Porcaro, Peart, etc... I would definitely put Moon at or near the top of the list for "Most Unique Rock Drummer Of All Time". And to say that Neil Peart is overrated is as far from accurate as you can get. Nice story about the Billy Cobham clinic, though. Thanks. Play On!

Last edited by michael drums; 10-29-2006 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:02 PM

Keith Moon was and is (on recordings), in my opinion and for lack of a better word, a beast. A little sloppy, yes. A lot crazy, yes. However, his playing influenced many and he did some really cool stuff. "Bargain" has some sweet drumming, as does "Happy Jack" and I also love his fills in "My Wife". Moon is one of the greats and nothing can convince ME otherwise! Bravo, Keith.

Mapex Pro M
Aquarian Studio X
Zildjian K
Paiste 802
Zildjian Rock sticks
DA BEARS!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy McRudster
I was never a fan of Keith Moon. His style is always so sloppy and, a lot of the time, overplayed. And if there's one groove that makes my blood boil it's definately "You Better", or at least I think that's what it's called. It is just so annoying and never goes anywhere.

Now, I'm not saying he's terrible. He's been a big influence to many drummers, but I just don't like his style.
If your talking about "you better you bet" that was Kenny Jones the Faces old drummer.

Bonzolead
Old 10-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

The thing I liked about Keith Moon was that he was his own person no one played or sounded like Keith Moon just like no one sounded or played like John Bonham you can tell he was self taught just like Bonham and to think they used to party together can only imagine the crazy times they had.he wasn't. the best but he was totally original.

Keep swatting,
Bonzolead
Old 11-02-2006, 01:49 AM

This guy blows my mind. He ranks atop my favorite drummers list (see my avatar) and second on my "greatest of all time" list (Behind Bonzo of course). His playing is so hectic, and confusing and creative, it blows my mind. One of the most original, and creative players ever.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:30 PM

In this age of super-technical over-rehearsed percussionists we are lacking a sense of individuality in the glaring spotlight of showboating. Moonie was not a technician but as Ginger Baker once said of him: "What he did was appropriate for the Who." Drumming to fit the music, it would seem, is of the utmost. The Who wouldn't have been the Who without Moon. But then, how many truly unique acts can one find on mainstream radio these days?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:52 AM

i just put live at leeds on the car cd player on my way to the gym early this morning...loud...just to wake me up...young man blues...magic bus ...YEAH!
Old 12-22-2006, 05:09 AM
Platinum Member

I love Keith Moon. HE IS truly one of a kind. His style, enthusiasm, and character cannot be matched. And think of the bands back then. Did anybody even try and do stuff like him? I think not.
Moon rocks .