DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-11-2006, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Chris Adler

Chris is not the best drummer ever, but is been a looonnngg while since i had that much fun learning metal songs! Is bass playing background shows in the way he uses bass drums. For a guy that started drumming at 20 somethin` he`s really creative and technically tight. Check out the live CD in Phillie, not a single mistake troughout the show, good stuff!
Old 04-14-2006, 03:01 PM

personally i put chris on my top 5 drummers. he is very smart, not only just in every day life, but also when it comes to his drumming. if you see the killadelphia dvd, you can see how him and the band interact. great dvd. great band....not only that but Lamb of God is from richmond,va ( my town) and that is another reason why i love him. i actally have a couple chances coming up to meet chris and willie. my friend already has.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:59 PM

yes chris adler is ma boy.
he's an amazing drummer, i hav the dvd killadelphia and hees just as great live as on the cd.
i love the way he uses triplets like in ruin etc. And he's good to be able to write drums to fit the insana guitars. Also i like how he uses the .....um....watya cal it..like the strength of the strokes i guess. like in 'one gun' at the end. pretty cool/
LAMB OF GOD!!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:47 PM

This guy is just amazing... I love his playing... I love his sense, his feeling of where he shut put another sound to make the drum part sound perfect. I love his work with cymbals especially.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Pioneer Member

I like that they play alot in 6/8 because there isn't so much of that in metal.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:02 PM

like in black label by lamb of god, omg i love that song. at last breakdown before the song fades away.

i also like how they are from my dads hometown, but he doesnt like metal but they're that more respectable to me on top of what they already are.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:12 AM

i had to bring this thread back to post this. It is the single of the upcoming album, Sacrament.
The song is called Redneck. Chris's drumming is pretty good. And the singer sounds alot better on this song.

www.sacrament2006.com
Old 06-22-2006, 12:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonKpilS_657
i had to bring this thread back to post this. It is the single of the upcoming album, Sacrament.
The song is called Redneck. Chris's drumming is pretty good. And the singer sounds alot better on this song.

www.sacrament2006.com
WOW!

What a great song. I love Chris Adler. The singer sounds much better. Still, he is average at best now, but at least there is sign of steady improvement with him. A couple more albums and he will be OK.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:39 AM

Too bad the song sounds more like a song Pantera threw out into the trash and LoG found it 5 years later.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbolic
Too bad the song sounds more like a song Pantera threw out into the trash and LoG found it 5 years later.
yeah but its a good song. its like pantera on steroids.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:53 PM

The vocalist sounds a lot of Pantera and even Hetfield in that song. I cant say I liked it.
I love their whole last album. Especially "Blood Of The Scribe". And again - Adler rocks.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:41 AM

hes a great drummer, good speed but also some groove, he does creative stuff wit hhis cymbals, and he oftem makes his kit sound HUGe (tom wise)

he also has a sweet beard....

Old 06-25-2006, 05:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspesien
Check out the live CD in Phillie, not a single mistake troughout the show, good stuff!
Thats what I thought was really crazy too, was that if you listen to all these new Metal/hardcore bands they suck live, they're trashy (listen to UnderOath alive, thats hardcore, but still. It is crappy times six), but Lamb of God was so clean and tight, i thought someone like overdubbed it or something.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Silver Member

Lamb of God practice for something daft like 5 hours a day 5 days a week or something... possibly more. I read that somewhere.

Sacrament is gonna be awesome, I can't wait for Unholy Alliance II to hit these shores... I'm going for sure.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
He is incredibly technical
I think actually what makes him interesting is how non technical he is. After hearing him for the first time, it was obvious to me after about two bars that he's self taught. He doesn't approach drums the way the vast majority of drummers do, and that's what makes him different and appealing.

As a person, and here I'm judging him 100% on the Modern Drummer DVD, he seems like a smart, articulate guy who has no illusions of grandeur; no huge ego that needs stroking. He thinks about everything he plays, and it shows in the parts he comes up with.

I'm not a big fan of the genre he plays, but I like him conceptually as a drummer.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduin
I think actually what makes him interesting is how non technical he is. After hearing him for the first time, it was obvious to me after about two bars that he's self taught. He doesn't approach drums the way the vast majority of drummers do, and that's what makes him different and appealing.

As a person, and here I'm judging him 100% on the Modern Drummer DVD, he seems like a smart, articulate guy who has no illusions of grandeur; no huge ego that needs stroking. He thinks about everything he plays, and it shows in the parts he comes up with.

I'm not a big fan of the genre he plays, but I like him conceptually as a drummer.
True.... I love the genre he plays though. He is just my hero...
Old 06-28-2006, 10:27 PM

The thing I like about Adler is he's very "on point". But I'd take Haake or Hoglan in my metal band over Adler any day.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshuggah1324
The thing I like about Adler is he's very "on point". But I'd take Haake or Hoglan in my metal band over Adler any day.
Although they are good, maybe even better from a technical perspective, I would not take them over Chris. He is by far the most unique metal drummer out there now. Very innovative.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:55 AM

I hear a lot of galloping from Adler. Nothing I would call the most innovating drumming around today. Just stating opinion of course...
Old 06-29-2006, 02:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastic
I hear a lot of galloping from Adler. Nothing I would call the most innovating drumming around today. Just stating opinion of course...
Perhaps innovating was the wrong word. But he definitely has a unique style in what grooves he plays in the music.

I do not think that anyone sounds like him. Almost like Steve Harris' bass playing in Maiden. He isn't the best, but he still has a unique sound in the music. Immediately you can tell who it is.

Hopefully that explains my opinion better.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduin

Good point, but how can you tell a self taught person from a person that got lessons.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei
Although they are good, maybe even better from a technical perspective, I would not take them over Chris. He is by far the most unique metal drummer out there now. Very innovative.
What? You would take Adler over Hoglan? Think about what you just said...
Old 07-11-2006, 01:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutin
What? You would take Adler over Hoglan? Think about what you just said...
I am sorry. I don't mean to offend. I just think that Adler has one of the most appealing styles for metal. Again, I stated that he is not technically the best, but I think his grooves are.

Just like I would take Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman of Slayer as guitar players over Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai for a metal band. Yngwie and Vai blow the other 2 guys away, but the rhythms and grooves of King and Hanneman are much better for metal.

Again, I do not mean to offend and apologize if I did.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei
I just got his Lamb of God live!

The music is top notch if you are into that "Power / Thrash" metal. However, their singer is absolutely the worst singer I have ever heard. I cannot believe that a band with that talent would use such a crappy singer. They would be much more popular if they got a singer with even a minute bite of talent.

However, Chris is a great drummer. I bought the dvd just for him.
I think the singer fits with them. they play aggressive music and the singers voice is very aggressive
Old 07-15-2006, 11:26 PM

http://sacrament2006.com/

a taste from the new album from Lamb of God, Chris kicks ass!!
Old 07-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

there's a video at that address as well now... well good!! can't wait for August 22nd!! if only I were in the U.S. so I could pre-order the album, since they're not doing the pre-order for any other country. That sucks I reckon.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

i agree with a few people here, chris is not the best, but learning his songs are actually quite fun, like learning how to play a different genre of music. oh and for the record i talked with randy at the unholy alliance show, the reason he sounds different, is because at one of their last shows he actually blew out his voice box.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Chris Adler

Anyone for Chris Adler or Lamb Of God. Judging by his overall playing and style I think he is excellent for being 'self taught' I just think he is very precise with his chops and pedals. He's very special in a way that sets himself apart from the crowd. Songs such as 'Now you've got something to die for' and 'The faded line' by Lamb Of God really show you how Chris Adler works in his playin. Anyone like him?
Old 08-14-2006, 07:08 PM

moi

20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20
Old 08-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

please use the friendly little thing towards the top called the search button.
heres the bigger thread on him:http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ht=chris+adler
i do agree with you tho, hes a great drummer
Old 08-15-2006, 05:05 PM

at first i was not really impresed about the band but when i saw MD05 my interest on listening to lamb of god just fire up, and i must say that i like their metal style, very technical and groovy, like some say more like of a pantera in steroids especially the new single, redneck.

one question though, hes using aquarian heads right, whats its equivalent on either remo or evans? thanks.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by \m/cornholio\m/
I have that MD '05 Fest DVD, and I highly suggest everyone get it as soon as availability and/or finances allow(not everyone will drop $50 for a DVD).
I have that too, I think Chris Adler is awesome, and I hate metal now (it used to be all I listened to). But what is that weird cymbal he has on the left side of his kit, above the hats? It sounds weird, like a massive bell ringing or something.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimeball
I have that too, I think Chris Adler is awesome, and I hate metal now (it used to be all I listened to). But what is that weird cymbal he has on the left side of his kit, above the hats? It sounds weird, like a massive bell ringing or something.
i think it was the flanger thing he was talking about on disc 3 of md5
Old 08-21-2006, 11:57 PM

It seems to me that Adler is highly overated. I am no fan of metal, but I must admit that he is fairly impressive on Lamb of God recordings. His performance at MD '05, however, was dissapointing, and makes me wonder how much time was spent in Pro-Tools cleaning up his performances. I had heard people talk about him in glowing terms and was intrigued to see him play, but he never seemed locked in with the guitarist. Maybe he had a bad day, maybe he had trouble playing with only a guitarist (though it was his brother), but he sounded sloppy. All of this talk of innovative ideas and incredible speed surprises me; perhaps some people need to check out legends like Billy Cobham. Pounding sixteenths on double bass isn't groundbreaking to my ears.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumshedder
It seems to me that Adler is highly overated. I am no fan of metal, but I must admit that he is fairly impressive on Lamb of God recordings. His performance at MD '05, however, was dissapointing, and makes me wonder how much time was spent in Pro-Tools cleaning up his performances. I had heard people talk about him in glowing terms and was intrigued to see him play, but he never seemed locked in with the guitarist. Maybe he had a bad day, maybe he had trouble playing with only a guitarist (though it was his brother), but he sounded sloppy. All of this talk of innovative ideas and incredible speed surprises me; perhaps some people need to check out legends like Billy Cobham. Pounding sixteenths on double bass isn't groundbreaking to my ears.
I don't find Adler groundbreaking or innovative; but I find him perfect for Lamb of God's style. And why would you compare Billy Cobham to Chris Adler? These two could not be more different. Here's my explanation from the Travis Barker thread:

''Travis Barker is better than your average pop-punk drummer, correct? If not tell me who is better ( I really feel Tre Cool does not measure up). Travis is better than most of the drummers in his genre; that is really where I feel his skill ends. He may be skilled at rudiments and marching, but he plays neither one of those as a profession, nor is he the best at both.

Roger Ebert has a style of rating movies; he rates them through stars. For example, a movie he loves will receive 4 out of 4 stars; a movie he hates will receive 1 (maybe 0) out of 4. However, he compares movies based on their genre. For example, he gave Batman Begins 4 out of 4 stars; he also gave Schindler's List 4 out of 4 stars. He does not, however, mean that both films are equally good; he simply means, that, in comparison to other superhero films, Batman Begins is probably his favorite. In terms of historical dramas, he feels Schindler's list is his favorite. Ebert does not mean that Batman Begins and Schindler's List are equal in terms of quality (though some people may).

Roger says: "The star rating system is relative, not absolute. When you ask a friend if Hellboy is any good, you're not asking if it's any good compared to Mystic River, you're asking if it's any good compared to The Punisher. And my answer would be, on a scale of one to four, if Superman is four, then Hellboy is three and The Punisher is two. In the same way, if American Beauty gets four stars, then [The United States of] Leland clocks in at about two."

Same goes for Travis Barker; In comparison to Tre Cool, Travis is about a 4, Tre is about a 3, and Chuck Comeau is about a 2. While one can compare Buddy Rich, 4, to Chick Webb, 3.5, one cannot compare Rich to Barker."

A jazz drummer should never compared to a metal drummer.

- Marc
Old 08-22-2006, 10:50 PM

Marc, I appreciate that it is not easy nor always wise to compare drummers across different genres, and that the most important skill a drummer can possess is the ability to fit the musical situation in which they are playing. Chris Adler's style fits Lamb of God well, and he has above-average skills behind a kit; I also agree with those on this forum whom have commented on his humility and generally nice attitude; I have nothing against Adler or his playing. I do object, however, to him being referenced for his speed and control, which are not exceptional for a touring professional; notice that on the same DVD, Jojo Mayer displayed greater speed and finesse on a single pedal than either Adler or Jason Bitner could muster on double bass drums. The reason I mentioned Billy Cobham is because he is a drummer from the jazz/fusion idom who possesses the power and speed required for metal, and of course can easily navigate mixed time signitures. It would surely be pointless to compare Philly Joe to Chris Adler, but I expect that many top metal drummers have checked out Cobham extensively, making the comparison more valid.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumshedder
Marc, I appreciate that it is not easy nor always wise to compare drummers across different genres, and that the most important skill a drummer can possess is the ability to fit the musical situation in which they are playing. Chris Adler's style fits Lamb of God well, and he has above-average skills behind a kit; I also agree with those on this forum whom have commented on his humility and generally nice attitude; I have nothing against Adler or his playing. I do object, however, to him being referenced for his speed and control, which are not exceptional for a touring professional; notice that on the same DVD, Jojo Mayer displayed greater speed and finesse on a single pedal than either Adler or Jason Bitner could muster on double bass drums. The reason I mentioned Billy Cobham is because he is a drummer from the jazz/fusion idom who possesses the power and speed required for metal, and of course can easily navigate mixed time signitures. It would surely be pointless to compare Philly Joe to Chris Adler, but I expect that many top metal drummers have checked out Cobham extensively, making the comparison more valid.
I understand completely. I'm a fan of metal (many other styles as well), and one of the drummers I checked out was Cobham. Considering, Adler does not have particularly exception speed or control (many drummers in similar genres have acheived higher accomplishments in both areas). I do respect Adler for his commmitment and play skills, though there are drummers who are better. I can see what you are saying.

Imagine Billy Cobham in a death metal band? Gotta admit that would certainly be interesting....

- Marc
Old 08-23-2006, 02:28 PM

the thing i like most in his drumming is how some of his fills are so complex yet his speed is astonishing for that complexity obviously anyone could be fast but you try playing doubles of triples at the tempo of ruin
Old 08-23-2006, 09:04 PM

Adler is not the best one, not the fastest one. But I love his stuff. And he's really talented, I think. He has "a feeling" to the music he makes. He knows what exactly he should put here, and what there - to make the LOG's songs sound great.
"Sacrement" (the newest Lamb Of God's album) is not that great as "Ashes of the Wake" but it mostly coz of the whole sound and maybe the new style of Randy's vocals. And Chris still kicks ass there.

Last edited by Neurotica; 10-07-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:32 AM

Personally I play the drum and I have a pearl with two bassdrum I double pedale with tama Iron Cobra has $200 every but I find that they double pedal bad!!!!!!! And I shall like knowing which pedals Chris Adler, my favorite drummer, uses ...help me please