DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 03-05-2018, 01:32 AM

Default Has anyone heard of putting your cymbals in the oven?

A buddy of mine asked me if I ever put my cymbals in the oven (at a low heat ~200F) to "reset" them. I told him that I`d never heard of such a thing, and thought I'd ask the experts here if they'd heard of such a thing.
From what he said, it allegedly changess the molecular structure to a state where there's less stress built up from playing them. I'd be worried that the temperature would change the temper of the cymbal, and they'd either be too soft and wobbly, or too hard and break.

Please keep in mind that I'm not looking to do this, it's just I've never heard of such a thing. Is this a thing?

DW, Sabian, Axis, Gibraltar
Old 03-05-2018, 01:37 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Has anyone heard of putting your cymbals in the oven?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMBOLIC DEATH View Post
A buddy of mine asked me if I ever put my cymbals in the oven (at a low heat ~200F) to "reset" them. I told him that I`d never heard of such a thing, and thought I'd ask the experts here if they'd heard of such a thing.
From what he said, it allegedly changess the molecular structure to a state where there's less stress built up from playing them. I'd be worried that the temperature would change the temper of the cymbal, and they'd either be too soft and wobbly, or too hard and break.

Please keep in mind that I'm not looking to do this, it's just I've never heard of such a thing. Is this a thing?
In a word ,don't.
I used a dishwasher to clean my cymbals one time as an experiment and well...
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2018, 03:39 AM

Stress doesn't build up from playing - any kinetic energy the cymbal absorbs when you hit it is dissipated by vibrating and making a lovely cymbally noise (unless you hit it way too hard - it will just crack).

Don't put your cymbals in the oven. Your friend has a dangerous mouth.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:42 AM
Silver Member

The microwave works even better!
Old 03-05-2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
The microwave works even better!
It makes a great light show!
Old 03-05-2018, 04:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMBOLIC DEATH View Post

Your friend needs to be near the room where the smelting occurs when the cymbals are initially formed. If he thinks that's 200 degrees, well....
Old 03-05-2018, 04:28 AM

I didn't think it was a thing that people do, that's why I asked. I also was NOT going to put my cymbals in an oven, because that just sounds like a bad idea, and wanted to know if anyone here had heard about it. I'll let him know that he shouldn't be left alone with cymbals and an oven.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:31 AM
Platinum Member

I think your friend is talking about stress relieving the cym. This is just under the point of glowing orange, I can't remember the actual temperature. I know it's a lot higher than 200 though.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

I left a ZILDJIAN A CUSTOM med ride to get media blasted into a SAND (type) RIDE, they had some kid work on it and apparently he had the pressure up too high, the resulting friction/heat warped the cymbal... this I might stick in a oven just to see what happens.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

I had a kit that went through a partial house fire in the 90's.

The crash cymbals were charred to a mix of red and green. They were completely ruined - so soft you could fold them and crease them like tin, and no tone at all.

The heavy ride was burnt on one side only - half black, half gold. The gold side still sounded like a heavy ride until a piece of the burnt side just broke off one day.

Don't expose your cymbals to extreme heat!
Old 03-05-2018, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Putting them in the oven. Burying them in the ground. Covering them with citrus....or vinegar.....or tomato sauce. I've heard it all. Each one seemingly more ridiculous than the one before it.

Doesn't anyone just play their shit anymore?

When did cymbals cease to be musical instruments and start becoming science experiments? When did playing an instrument stop being about a quest for musicality and expression and start being about coming up with idiotic ways to ruin your gear?
Old 03-05-2018, 03:06 PM

I've never heard of it either but I wouldn't mess with the heat treatments the manufacturer provided during fabrication. I do know a little about blade forging and you can definitely wreck a good hard steel blade by heating it. (like others said, to higher temperatures, not sure what good 200 degrees would do either though).

On a side note for someone who is very sensitive to chemicals and cleaners is there a natural (or non toxic) trick to getting the shine back that is known to work well? I have a beloved old ride that looks terrible that I'd love to clean up.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:24 PM
Administrator - Mayor

As Bo said, if you want them reset, you may need 2000 degrees. 200 is only warm . Sprinkle a little salt on them to get a better taste.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

I think people come up with these stupid ideas because when they first bought their cymbals, you know, those lovely ZBTs, they found out fairly soon what crap they had purchased. Then by performing "science experiments" with them they believed that would be able to miraculously change them into a Paiste 602 or something similar.

I'm now going to go bury my 2oo2s and Giant Beats in a BBQ pit with ketchup, vinegar, and lemon juice (I think I'll throw in a brisket while I'm at it) for the next 36 hours. I'll report back on the awesomeness in a few days.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

I think the general consensus is that cymbals are put into the oven before they become cymbals at a few thousand degrees.

Your buddy didn't have anything to do with the 9/11 report did he?
Old 03-05-2018, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
As Bo said, if you want them reset, you may need 2000 degrees. 200 is only warm . Sprinkle a little salt on them to get a better taste.
My thoughts exactly. Maybe a little black pepper too.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:44 PM

I've seen a Lance Campeau vid where he deliberately heats up a cymbal until its cherry red, allows it to cool naturally and then breaks it apart and it pretty much shatters like glass. Also seen a couple of vids where cymbal blanks are heated and then immediately doused in cold water - if they don't they will be very brittle and shatter easily.

I know your friend suggested a few hundred degrees and not a few thousand but I would be very wary. If the cymbal is lacquered then the lacquer may burn or discolour. The tension in the cymbal helps keep the cymbal in shape, I doubt if a few hundred degrees will do much to change the tension in the cymbal but if it does the cymbal may warp. At worst it may turn brittle.

I must admit I have put a cymbal in an oven - it was a cheap Sabian Pro Sonic hi hat top - I set the oven to 475F/240C, I removed it after 20 minutes or so and dropped it straight into a tub of water - the edge of the cymbal was warped and a whole side had drooped slightly (like a Zildjian trashformer) and the lacquer had burn'ed to a light brown colour. I hammered it until the edges were relatively flat and attempted to hammer the cymbal to get a less awful sound. It didn't work - but you all knew that already. I bought it from a flea market for a few so I thought why not, what have I got to lose? I would never try this with a 'real' cymbal.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Putting them in the oven. Burying them in the ground. Covering them with citrus....or vinegar.....or tomato sauce. I've heard it all. Each one seemingly more ridiculous than the one before it.

When did cymbals cease to be musical instruments and start becoming science experiments? When did playing an instrument stop being about a quest for musicality and expression and start being about coming up with idiotic ways to ruin your gear?
^ This.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post

Remember the thread where the guy put lemonade on his cymbal instead of actual lemon juice from a real lemon?

Here it is: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...de#post1211097
Old 03-05-2018, 08:36 PM

Thant's funny. Does REAL lemon juice and baking soda work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
Remember the thread where the guy put lemonade on his cymbal instead of actual lemon juice from a real lemon?

Here it is: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...de#post1211097
Old 03-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendrad View Post
Thant's funny. Does REAL lemon juice and baking soda work?
You don't even need baking soda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVolAmeidKY
Old 03-05-2018, 09:15 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Go the Sabian Big and Ugly route and use Salt water
Old 03-05-2018, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Zildjian does it:

https://www.copper.org/consumers/art..._Lives_On.html
Old 03-06-2018, 02:25 PM

Cool I'll give it a shot. have been living with grungy cymbals because I didn't want to poison myself. Just got a set of shiny new HHX hats and now the others look like crap lol.

Edit. just watched that video. Wow I have to go buy some lemons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
You don't even need baking soda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVolAmeidKY
Old 03-09-2018, 04:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
I left a ZILDJIAN A CUSTOM med ride to get media blasted into a SAND (type) RIDE, they had some kid work on it and apparently he had the pressure up too high, the resulting friction/heat warped the cymbal... this I might stick in a oven just to see what happens.
I've done a lot of blasting and those things can remove a lot of material when the pressure is too high for the material. He probably created thin places in that cym too which would cause warp-age. That's too bad man sorry to hear that.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2 View Post
I've done a lot of blasting and those things can remove a lot of material when the pressure is too high for the material. He probably created thin places in that cym too which would cause warp-age. That's too bad man sorry to hear that.
Yeah, I should've weighed it before and after. Its not a total loss. I would say sonically it wasn't a failure (it might've been better sonically, but that would take trial/error blasting, sound is subjective), it sounds like I was expecting, not as wild as a stock A CUSTOM which I would describe as 'noisy'. I won't use it on hi profile gigs because it doesn't look cool, it has one lazy side, but for certain gigs it does look cool. I find it more useable sonically than a (noisy) stock A CUSTOM.

I recommend media blasting if a ride is too noisy for you and you can deal with the change, just make sure you get with a pro media blaster, explain some cymbalology to them if they've never done cymbals.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to blast another A CUSTOM ride should I come across one cheap, I paid $100 for the one I experimented on.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:32 AM

"I think your friend is talking about stress relieving the cym. This is just under the point of glowing orange, I can't remember the actual temperature. I know it's a lot higher than 200 though.
__________________"
Absolutely, stress relieving the metal actually is an attempt to realign the crystalline structures in the metal. And your not going to do it at 200 degrees in an oven. I have a Ruger Mini 30 rifle and a lot of fellow shooters have tried to have their barrels "relieved" by an off site arms company. Yes it will realign the crystals, but you can't know how they are going to realign. In rifles its a 50 / 50 shot and more often than not you get less accuracy. Seeing the price tag on a lot of higher end cymbals, I'd be terrified of trying to realign the molecules in my cymbals, and I don't play top end cymbals! I'd seriously shy away from that idea, but I'm new here.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:42 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll be seeing my buddy tonight at the studio, and I'll let him know that he's a menace to cymbals.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Easy answer. No

It's not a Playstation with a red light of death. That was the only time the oven trick worked well.

Why pay hundreds of dollars to wreck something. Even if everyone on here said yes you should still be careful because at the end of the day we are a bunch of random people on an internet forum. Although I think we are the smartest, best looking, and most amazing musicians on the internet :).

It's similar to cleaning, or trying to repair cymbals. Just play em. That finish is on to protect em. If you start to remove it it will be garbage way faster. The big 4 cymbal companies pay their employees well and they know what they are doing. I was at the Sabian Meet the Masters tour and had one made up in front of me. All of the employees had over 30 years working there and knew their stuff. It was a very cool experience.

I am sure you could always email the Cymbal company and see their response to putting it in the oven. I am guessing it would be VOID WARRANTY haha.

on that note, if it is a $20 junker you don't ever want to use, there is only one way to learn and find out. post your results :)
Old 03-16-2018, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

Some peeps seem to think that burying a cymbal for a year or two will improve it.

You may want to try this technique for yourself.

Bury your friend for a year or two, and then dig him up to see if he has improved in any way.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:55 AM

I tried the Lemon thing on an old ride. Not a miracle but a big improvement I think. I scrubbed it with a lemon and then concentrated vinegar. I'd say it works.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-25-2018, 12:58 AM
Administrator - Mayor

I saw one with ketchup but I sure it was the vinegar within.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:59 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Some peeps seem to think that burying a cymbal for a year or two will improve it.

You may want to try this technique for yourself.

Bury your friend for a year or two, and then dig him up to see if he has improved in any way.
Only in periods of silence