DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:07 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Is it acceptable to audition for multiple groups/bands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I would suggest that if the drummer auditions and is accepted, it's incumbent upon him to accept. Why else would he show up in the first place?

I know that things are revealed during the audition that may not be appealing - on either side. But I'm talking about going through the audition process without the intent of following through. Why do that? I don't know if that's somehow fun for the player, but it's a complete waste of the band's time. I've been on the band side of things for a long time, and they're not amused by those types.

Bermuda
Thereís a LOOOOT of jerks, flakes, drunks, druggies, divas, etc., etc., etc., though, and sometimes you just donít know whether you want to work with a band until after youíve had time to think things through AFTER an audition.

The older I get, the more I am concerned about the answer to ďWhy is this job available?Ē when I am interviewing/auditioning. And since Iím kind of slow on the uptake, it can take me several days after meeting a problem person to understand exactly why I donít want to work with them.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
..I would suggest that if the drummer auditions and is accepted, it's incumbent upon him to accept. Why else would he show up in the first place?..

I would say to see if his expectations match reality..And like i said, that goes both ways and i am not seeing why the band in this case is superior to the auditioning musician..

If the band has 20 people to audition and the first one plays the parts perfect, then they also have to skip the others..?

Why would the band be allowed to have a choice and the auditioning musician not..?

I agree that things would be a little stupid if a musician just goes to audition to audition, like instead of going to the movies..

And besides that, oft takes maybe a few weeks before the result from the audition is told..And i think that if someone gets a chance during that time to play in another nice band, is not 'uncool' to take that chance..
Old 03-07-2018, 11:52 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
I agree that things would be a little stupid if a musician just goes to audition to audition, like instead of going to the movies..
That's what I'm talking about.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

This is discussion is getting unnecessarily complicated.

It should be very simple: Don't be a dickhead.

It's fine to go to an audition that you won't necessarily accept. It's not fine to go to an audition if you know in advance that you will turn down the gig if you get it.

If, between the audition and the band's decision, you decide that you don't want the gig, call the band and tell then that you don't want the gig as soon as you realise that you don't want the gig.

Don't accept a gig and then bail without giving the band a proper 'probationary period'.

Above all, don't be a dickhead.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I would suggest that if the drummer auditions and is accepted, it's incumbent upon him to accept. Why else would he show up in the first place?

I know that things are revealed during the audition that may not be appealing - on either side. But I'm talking about going through the audition process without the intent of following through. Why do that? I don't know if that's somehow fun for the player, but it's a complete waste of the band's time.
It's not incumbent on him at all, he's under absolutely no obligation what so ever ... the reverse is like saying because he's turned up for an audition the band HAVE to offer him the role ..... they don't! ..... so why should they DICTATE on the other side.

I was offered a role where the main member said we do "a bit" of rock and roll and whatever everybody else wants to do to throw into the mix, I even asked him how much R & R and he said 4 / 5 numbers and whilst it wasn't my choice of music I thought I can live with that in a set liost that's probably going to be 25 numbers.

When it came down to it we had a few rehearsals and everyone was suggesting various other songs to play and over time he'd just reject EVERYTHING unless it was a R & R number ... I quickly bailed when I realised that as that was all he wanted to do and it was a dictatorship.
I also realised he didn't tell people pre audition all he wanted to do was rock and roll because nobody would go for an audition, he wanted to hoodwink you to get a band together to play the only thing he was interested in doing and nobody else really was.

He made a comment one day that said "I can't believe that so many people have missed such an incredible and classic decade" .... point is they haven't, it's there on the internet for anyone to go look up and play but it's so passe nobody does nor do they have interest in doing so. I felt sorry for him as he's missed every decade of great music since!

I don't think may people turn up for an audition with absolutely no intention of accepting, personally I'd never go for an audition as a metal drummer because I've never played that style (I'm not knocking it as some of those guys are absolutely amasing !!!!!! ) but it'd just be a waste of my time let alone anybody else's.

Honestly it sounds like you're being rejected time after time, I think I'd be looking at how you carry out the auditions and I'd start with not demanding people accept because you've offered it to them ... comes across a bit scary, desperate and intimidating and may be what's putting people off.

May also be they get there and really don't like the music you're playing.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
..That's what I'm talking about..

But thats just common sense and i doubt to be honest that this is happening a lot..

And the post of the topic-starter is also not showing that he (maybe..) is like that..At least how i understand he only speaks about 'some more options to have' and i think there is nothing wrong with that..
Old 03-08-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post

It's fine to go to an audition that you won't necessarily accept. It's not fine to go to an audition if you know in advance that you will turn down the gig if you get it.

If, between the audition and the band's decision, you decide that you don't want the gig, call the band and tell then that you don't want the gig as soon as you realise that you don't want the gig.

Don't accept a gig and then bail without giving the band a proper 'probationary period'.

This.....................
Old 03-08-2018, 12:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings View Post
I don't think may people turn up for an audition with absolutely no intention of accepting, personally I'd never go for an audition as a metal drummer because I've never played that style (I'm not knocking it as some of those guys are absolutely amasing !!!!!! ) but it'd just be a waste of my time let alone anybody else's.
I think that's the type of situation Bermuda is talking about, regardless of how often it occurs. I can see his point and agree.

Personally I'd not audition for a gig where deep down I was hoping I'd not be offered it afterwards. Seems like a waste of everyones time which isn't good.

I would audition for a gig where I was majorly hyped for the band, or just interested in the band but keen on finding out more outside of the music (be it finding out about personalities to fully cement that interest afterwards...etc)

Doing something for the sake of doing it when your heart really isn't in it is never going to end well for anyone, both in the long-term and/or short-term.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:21 AM
Silver Member

I'll be the "final" arbiter of this thread. Imagine being abducted by aliens, had your memory wiped, but still had the physical impressions of interviews and questionable jobs in the back of your mind. I "vaguely" remember some people caught up in the thrill of the hunt while other people were forced to fill quotas.

In other words if you're a young, hungry player, try to understand the needs of the band you may turn down. And if you're a band going through the motions of auditioning someone to fill a quota, just don't. Because word will get around there as well. Probably not an issue in a seller's market, but things can turn quicker than one might think.

My decision would be this:

Don't screw the company (band) and don't let the company (band) screw you.

National Association of Rudimental Drummers
(N.A.R.D.) Member, No. 10078
Old 03-08-2018, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post

Yes, exactly what Iím saying. The thing I would hate the most is to be a jerk.
I would only want to audiion for a band if I had the intent of potentially following through with it. To me, it doesnít make sense to audition for a band and know for sure that you donít want to join.

Keep in mind, in the situation I brought up, this JAZZ FM 91 big band is a band where members are auditioned for every year. It is also regarded as an educational program.