DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-06-2018, 08:27 AM

Default Is EQ4 equal to or better than PS3?

Hey DRUMMERWORLD,

Iím having a debacle, as usual. Iíve currently got Remoís on my set and Iím loving the Coated PS3 on the kick. Itís a great sounding head, and itís probably my favorite bass head Iíve played so far! But, I feel Remoís quality control is lacking lately. Iíve worn the centers of my Vintage A tom batters completely smooth in about 2 weeks, which took about 4 months at least with the G1ís I used to have on it. Iím thinking about putting Evans heads on the Ludwig set Iím getting soon, and it looks like the closest head is the EQ4, which only comes in frosted instead of Coated. Is this head as good as a Coated PS3, or should I just get the Remo instead, even though the tom batters will be evans. If I do that, Iím worried itíll drive my OCD crazy. Let me know what you guys think.

OldReliable
Old 03-06-2018, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Is EQ4 equal to or better than PS3?

I have tried the EQ4's in clear form and found them to be a pretty close match to PowerStroke 3 clear heads. However, I feel Remo heads are a bit more lively for the duration of their lifespan - which is one reason I stick with them despite getting a clunker head every now and then (usually, if I get an Emperor head, sometimes you get one that's more dead than others - this can be solved by never using a double -ply head, like an Ambassador, but Pinstripes don't seem to suffer as much as Emperors do, so I'm thinking there's a different process to making Pinstripes).

I like the Evans, but although they sound good, when they start to go, they just die. So I guess it's six of one, half a dozen of the other for me.

Last edited by Bo Eder; 03-06-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:02 PM

Thanks Bo!

I may end up just getting the EQ4 and calling it a day. Since I havenít used one yet, itíll be fun to see how it compares.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldReliable View Post
Thanks Bo!

I may end up just getting the EQ4 and calling it a day. Since I havenít used one yet, itíll be fun to see how it compares.
Definitely not a bad head, and sometimes you can find them a few bucks less than a comparable Remo head too. I tend to go back and forth between the two brands - once I go through all my backstock I have in my garage, I may get a whole set of evans next too.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

I have that frosted EQ4 on my Tama kit. It is a little more mellow or subdued that the PS3 I had on it before. I preferred the PS3, but they are very, very similar and the differences are subtle.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:06 PM

If the EQ4ís a bit more subdued, that may be a benefit for what Iíll be using the kit for, which will most likely be some softer Jazz combo stuff that wonít be miked. Sometimes my PS3 can almost be too punchy for just feathering the kick!
Old 03-06-2018, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If the EQ4ís a bit more subdued, that may be a benefit for what Iíll be using the kit for, which will most likely be some softer Jazz combo stuff that wonít be miked. Sometimes my PS3 can almost be too punchy for just feathering the kick!
Sounds like just the ticket, then. And no stress on your OCD. :)
Old 03-07-2018, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Have you tried the Finerskyn version? Or the Evans Ď56? Those are very mellow.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
The Evans '56 Calftone is a great kick head IMO. I've got one on my 3-ply Ludwig and it is plenty punchy, but with a nice warm feel to it when you play it wide open and unmuffled.

I also play uncoated EQ4s and they do really well. They're a lot punchier and more muffled than the Calftone, but if you tune them a bit tighter you can get a really nice note out of them for bop. I'm running one on my 20" Stage Custom right now for jazz.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Not yet, since I just ordered a 20Ē Coated EQ4. Next head change, Iíll be sure to try the calftone eq4 to see how it compares. Since theyíre going on my Ludwig Club Dates, the Calftoneís on the toms and kick will probably work well with the nice baseball bat edges on them.