DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Is Buddy Rich REALLY the greatest drummer of all time?

Buddy was much more of a musician that any modern drummer. All of those great big band/ big jazz band (there is a difference) jazz drummers were. In those genres the current contemporary jazz drummers still are.

Listen to old Blue Note, Pablo, and other classic jazz recordings. Those guys are at a different level. Bellson, Krupa, Roach, Morello, Elvin Jones. Music in an ensemble was and is a conversation with jazz. Not so much rock. Those dudes were musicians blending their instrument into the mix. Give a listen you'll hear it. Densmore was a jazz drummer before he started playing with The Doors. He's an incredible drummer. Same thing with Ginger Baker.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
Buddy was much more of a musician that any modern drummer.
Have you listened to how Simon Phillips and Gavin Harrison manage to create the perfect drum part to complement whatever genre they’re playing? How adept was Buddy outside of the big band genre? Buddy had great hands. Today’s greats have great hands AND feet. Buddy would be lost trying to replicate some of the independence mastery that Thomas Lang demonstrates.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
..the independence mastery that Thomas Lang demonstrates..

Just too bad that he almost never plays something that shows some musical taste..

To me a typical example of a guy that studied hours and hours all the possible tricks, but completely fails to actually being able to play something that is also nice to listen to..
Old 03-04-2018, 12:31 AM
Silver Member

You said t before I got the chance!!!

The modern mentality is all about technical tricks and not about creating a sound within an ensemble. The folks coming out of the jazz realm playing with small and large jazz ensembles know how to do it; others pass off intricate tricks and licks as greatness, ignoring complimenting the ensemble sound. They just don't get it.

Not sure who it was - one of the old greats from 50's/60's 70's - said to become a great drummer you must practice playing songs and pieces with a band and learn how to play with other musicians. It's a musical conversation on stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
Just too bad that he almost never plays something that shows some musical taste..

To me a typical example of a guy that studied hours and hours all the possible tricks, but completely fails to actually being able to play something that is also nice to listen to..
Old 03-04-2018, 12:34 AM
Silver Member

And yes Buddy was very adept outside of the big band genre: he played with small jazz trios/quartets etc. as well as larger jazz bands and big bands. What other genres were there at the time? And, there isn't anything harder to play a kit with than those genres.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:03 AM

All that big band and jazz stuff he played was 5 measures of hi hat and then an accented snare on 4. he was only an amazing soloist and thats it. AND because he was a self marketing whore, we only saw him on every talk show and Carson every week. im sure his contemporaries at the time, Roach, Bellson and those guys could hang with their bands too, buddy was only special as a soloist.
I never get tired of watching videos of his solos, i dont even understand what hes doing.
Return of the Andy Nemesis
Old 03-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

I think he did pretty good with a band here.
He didn't even need a rug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyXUyuXEY84
Old 03-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

You don't know what you're talking about. You're talking about Buddy in late 60's and 70's. The dude started playing professionally in the 30's. He played on an album with Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie in 1950. He was a session drummer, too. You probably don't have a turntable, so get some CD's of Buddy Rich and various bands, ensembles, and recordings from 40's and 50's and listen. Greatest? I dunno. I do know he was a hellofalot better than a lot of you folks give him credit for because you only know showman Buddy on The Tonight Show, not session and jazz drummer Buddy from 30's 40's and 50's.

Also full disclosure: I'm biased. I ate pizza with Buddy in early 70's. Really. True story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no talent View Post
All that big band and jazz stuff he played was 5 measures of hi hat and then an accented snare on 4. he was only an amazing soloist and thats it. AND because he was a self marketing whore, we only saw him on every talk show and Carson every week. im sure his contemporaries at the time, Roach, Bellson and those guys could hang with their bands too, buddy was only special as a soloist.
I never get tired of watching videos of his solos, i dont even understand what hes doing.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
You don't know what you're talking about. You're talking about Buddy in late 60's and 70's. The dude started playing professionally in the 30's. He played on an album with Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie in 1950. He was a session drummer, too. You probably don't have a turntable, so get some CD's of Buddy Rich and various bands, ensembles, and recordings from 40's and 50's and listen. Greatest? I dunno. I do know he was a hellofalot better than a lot of you folks give him credit for because you only know showman Buddy on The Tonight Show, not session and jazz drummer Buddy from 30's 40's and 50's.

Also full disclosure: I'm biased. I ate pizza with Buddy in early 70's. Really. True story.
I wouldn't admit eating pizza with that a@%hole. his discussion about how beneath him rock drummers were really turned me off and woke me up to the person. Anyway, i do have a turntable but that music, jazz,big band, again hi hat for 2 min, then an accented snare does nothing for me so i wouldn't waste my money. a give him a ton of credit, i used to think he was way above everyone else, a god, nowadays, guys are just better than he was even in his prime. i don't care who or what he played on, not impressed. i know he played better than me when he was only 4 years old but im not pretending to be in his league, just comparing him to whats out there now.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:11 AM

I guess "no-talent" knows more than Peart, Weckl, Bonham, Krupa, etc. His description of jazz says he either hasn't listened or doesn't know how to listen to it.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
All that big band and jazz stuff he played was 5 measures of hi hat and then an accented snare on 4.
This is the kind of crap that should get people banned from the site. I thought this wasn't supposed to be the kind of forum where people can say any old garbage.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
This is the kind of crap that should get people banned from the site. I thought this wasn't supposed to be the kind of forum where people can say any old garbage.
Buddy was equally disrespectful of rock drumming. And truly, there are a number of guys who can, from a sheerly technical standpoint, outplay him today. He was rude and often a jerk. This is just his karma coming back on him.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:29 AM
Platinum Member

I don't care about any of that, or about your assessment of anyone's abilities. The comment I quoted was offensively uninformed. Doesn't belong on a site for musicians.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't care about any of that, or about your assessment of anyone's abilities. The comment I quoted was offensively uninformed. Doesn't belong on a site for musicians.
I like you and your blog, but Buddy wouldn't have made it one day amongst us humans or "musicians" on any site.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
Buddy wouldn't have made it one day amongst us humans or "musicians" on any site.
I don't know what that means. I don't think people who clearly know NOTHING about music, like the person I quoted below, should be aggressively judging any player's abilities on this site. That's all.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't know what that means. I don't think people who clearly know NOTHING about music, like the person I quoted below, should be aggressively judging any player's abilities on this site. That's all.
As in, he would be the as absolutist he was and would shit on anyone who didn't agree with his opinion. I only base this off of interviews I've seen of his opinion regarding every style of music aside from jazz or big band. The ban hammer would swing instantly.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Obviously I can't speak for the absolute boss. I can only assume that he would be a dick. I still study him and Philly the most. Almost equal parts of Bellson and Krupa as well.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:58 PM
Gold Member

For me he's the greatest. But isn't he the best? Not so sure about that.

It's all subjective anyway I guess.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
For me he's the greatest. But isn't he the best? Not so sure about that.

It's all subjective anyway I guess.
I think we have determined that Buddy was a great drummer. And he is worth studying depending on what kind of music you want to play. And he is amazing to watch and it is great fun watching him play. With Buddy, we need to separate drumming technique and personality. In fact there have been several great drummers and other great musicians that are not good role models. For instance we would be having the same type of discussion if the question was “Is Jim Morrison the greatest rock singer of all time.” Should all rock singers try to emulate Jim Morrison.

My only problem with the original question here is the “of all time” part. If he was the best of all time then there will never ever be a better drummer.
That thought would be kind of depressing.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
I think we have determined that Buddy was a great drummer. And he is worth studying depending on what kind of music you want to play. And he is amazing to watch and it is great fun watching him play. With Buddy, we need to separate drumming technique and personality. In fact there have been several great drummers and other great musicians that are not good role models. For instance we would be having the same type of discussion if the question was “Is Jim Morrison the greatest rock singer of all time.” Should all rock singers try to emulate Jim Morrison.

My only problem with the original question here is the “of all time” part. If he was the best of all time then there will never ever be a better drummer.

I agree. My post included a typo as it should have read "But is he the best?"

He was a phenomenal, absolute force of nature. Quite rightly is still being spoke about and looked up to. I'd recommend any young player, regardless of the style of music they are interested in, checks him out still.

I'd also at the same time recommend they'd check out other Jazz greats (Elvin, Max, Tony, Gene, Art, Philly..etc etc) all of which are from the same time period but offer something completely different to Buddy. Each though just as amazing in their own individual way.

Not getting into the personality stuff though. Not a point on this thread I'm really interested in : )

Another thing (mostly unrelated) I will add is that often non drummers will recommend I check out a drummer they've seen clips of, "a guy called Buddy Rich" . Never fails to raise a chuckle when that occasionally happens.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post

That's more or less the crux of why I started this thread. It's the "of all time" part. I was never questioning Buddy's greatness, just whether he's ever been surpassed after all these years.

But I agree with some of the responders, in that from everything I've read and heard, it seems that he could be a real ass in person. Does that diminish his drumming skills? No, of course not. But it does seem to tarnish his legacy to some degree.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
I guess "no-talent" knows more than Peart, Weckl, Bonham, Krupa, etc. His description of jazz says he either hasn't listened or doesn't know how to listen to it.
22 replies since joining in 2010 and this is what you choose to say?i dont know how to listen to German Death Metal either, its called an opinion.

Quote:
I think if you go far enough East, you will find a country which values your type of thinking. Sounds like you will fit right in, no one there is allowed to express an opinion either. BTW, i personally hate Jazz and Big Band..so what?
Old 03-11-2018, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
i personally hate Jazz and Big Band..so what?
I couldn't care less what you like or don't like. And your comments here, Mr. Five Measures Of Hihat, demonstrate that you know NOTHING about music, so your opinions about it are completely worthless. They're not even opinions, they're feelings.

This is a site where actual musicians come to talk about musician things, and where students come to learn. You can't say anything you want and not get corrected.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:15 AM
Silver Member

He picked up our tab at Little Tony's Pizzeria on Ventura Blvd in Woodland Hills (LA). It was around 1972 or '73 as I recall. We were all teenagers and were acquainted with him through one of our friends who's dad wrote soundtracks for many TV shows back then (we went to a Hawaii Five-0 soundtrack taping he wrote) and also arranged music for many commercials (Budweiser). He was very nice to us and a lot of fun. He was anything but an ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
That's more or less the crux of why I started this thread. It's the "of all time" part. I was never questioning Buddy's greatness, just whether he's ever been surpassed after all these years.

But I agree with some of the responders, in that from everything I've read and heard, it seems that he could be a real ass in person. Does that diminish his drumming skills? No, of course not. But it does seem to tarnish his legacy to some degree.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:18 AM
Silver Member

Listen to Buddy from 30's 40's 50's playing in small ensembles with the likes of Charlie Parker, or some of his studio session gigs. Five measures of hi-hat wouldn't cut it with those dudes. He was a fantastic player with a great ear for what the rest of musicians were doing around him.

Quote:
22 replies since joining in 2010 and this is what you choose to say?i dont know how to listen to German Death Metal either, its called an opinion.

I think if you go far enough East, you will find a country which values your type of thinking. Sounds like you will fit right in, no one there is allowed to express an opinion either. BTW, i personally hate Jazz and Big Band..so what?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
He picked up our tab at Little Tony's Pizzeria on Ventura Blvd in Woodland Hills (LA). It was around 1972 or '73 as I recall. We were all teenagers and were acquainted with him through one of our friends who's dad wrote soundtracks for many TV shows back then (we went to a Hawaii Five-0 soundtrack taping he wrote) and also arranged music for many commercials (Budweiser). He was very nice to us and a lot of fun. He was anything but an ass.
That was nice of him. Clearly he wasn't an ass 24/7; I don't think anyone could, as that would be exhausting (and I did say that he could be an ass, not that he was always one).

But when I think of Buddy Rich, the infamous bus tape always comes to mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ia95oiS5LE

And to a much lesser degree, this, where he slams country music and anyone who listens to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h45vnTXbLb4

I'm no fan of country music, but I'd never publicly slam it like that. That's pretty douchey if you ask me.

Quote:
Listen to Buddy from 30's 40's 50's playing in small ensembles with the likes of Charlie Parker, or some of his studio session gigs. Five measures of hi-hat wouldn't cut it with those dudes. He was a fantastic player with a great ear for what the rest of musicians were doing around him.
Do you have any specific songs or albums to check out? Links would be best.

Last edited by TK-421; 03-11-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Bus video (audio only) sounds like my high school band director :)
Old 03-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bus video (audio only) sounds like my high school band director :)
Sounds like mine too. Mine once threw a CHAIR at a seventh grader. Actually, he was well-known for throwing chairs in general. O_o
Old 03-11-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I couldn't care less what you like or don't like. And your comments here, Mr. Five Measures Of Hihat, demonstrate that you know NOTHING about music, so your opinions about it are completely worthless. They're not even opinions, they're feelings.

This is a site where actual musicians come to talk about musician things, and where students come to learn. You can't say anything you want and not get corrected.
haha i never said i knew anything about music, i dont know anything about airplanes either but i fly in them, whats your point? I do average 2-3 gigs a wek so i guess people who listen think i know a little something....how often do you play live mr. internet troll?
Old 03-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
Sounds like mine too. Mine once threw a CHAIR at a seventh grader. Actually, he was well-known for throwing chairs in general. O_o
Not to hijack this thread, one that deals with my favorite all time drummer, BR, and IMO who ranks as a god amongst drummers, BUT-- just to share, Push Pulls and Rattlin's descriptions above rang true for me as well. Almost hysterical thinking about our high school band directors.

I had a Jr. High School band director who would throw erasers and chalk at band members who screwed up, he would throw chalk at us percussionists in the back who were giggling all the time. However, when we had him personally for the percussion ensemble, he was completely normal and an excellent teacher.

Then in High School, we had an extreme version of the Jr. High School guy- this band director would spout off insults, intimidate through praise and humiliation, etc. Again, he was excellent, and our orchestra and symphonic bands were ranked amongst the top ones in the state. But he was prone to being almost violent-- one time as a senior, I missed the closing song note on a bass drum beat-- he threw his baton down, marched aggressively through the band members to get to me in the back-- I thought he was going to punch me or god knows what, and I braced myself to punch him first. However, he asked me to meet after school and somehow this became just a non-event then. In those days, you didn't report these close calls to anyone or even your parents just because it wasn't out of the norm (that was "normal"? lol).

I found out 25 years later he was fired from his position due to his "style." Funny, but we all loved the guy, he could be funny as hell and was incredible as a band director and teacher, but he had his semi-violent issues that must have gotten the best of him. His kids were all incredible musicians.

In today's world, the Snowflakes would've neutered him right away or fired him in months. I shudder to think about the quality of teachers today that can't speak/act honestly, but that's a complete other subject to discuss outside the forums.

There could probably be a new post focused on our school drumming/ band directors experiences, maybe all these guys were the same? :)
Old 03-11-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldie View Post

Then in High School, we had an extreme version of the Jr. High School guy- this band director would spout off insults, intimidate through praise and humiliation, etc. Again, he was excellent, and our orchestra and symphonic bands were ranked amongst the top ones in the state. But he was prone to being almost violent-- one time as a senior, I missed the closing song note on a bass drum beat-- he threw his baton down, marched aggressively through the band members to get to me in the back-- I thought he was going to punch me or god knows what, and I braced myself to punch him first. However, he asked me to meet after school and somehow this became just a non-event then. In those days, you didn't report these close calls to anyone or even your parents just because it wasn't out of the norm (that was "normal"? lol).

There could probably be a new post focused on our school drumming/ band directors experiences, maybe all these guys were the same? :)
I had the opposite in high school, everyone i talk to from concert, jazz and marching band loved the guy. He was funny but somehow he silently demanded and got your respect. i will never forget the time i screwed up but he defended me. a week before a big competition for the concert band, i subbed on timpani for a senior. i had to site read this piece while the band was 100 percent locked into it. i didnt hold a crescendo roll long enough and towards the end and the entire 190 piece orchestra looked back at me and started to make comments. Mr T. ( not that one) spoke up and said btw he is site reading this piece and doing a fine job. never forget that he had my back on that. nicest guy in the world!
Old 03-11-2018, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

Our director wasn't quite that extreme. He'd throw a baton every once in a while. Knock down a music stand. He could really scream, though. Sometimes he'd make us run the steps in outdoor ampitheatre just outside band room, but that was because we just were not paying attention or talking too much. We all loved him and he taught us a lot about how to set objectives and then work to achieve them. Today's snowflakes couldn't take it and, 30 years from now, they'd be wondering why they're still working at McDonalds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldie View Post
Not to hijack this thread, one that deals with my favorite all time drummer, BR, and IMO who ranks as a god amongst drummers, BUT-- just to share, Push Pulls and Rattlin's descriptions above rang true for me as well. Almost hysterical thinking about our high school band directors.

I had a Jr. High School band director who would throw erasers and chalk at band members who screwed up, he would throw chalk at us percussionists in the back who were giggling all the time. However, when we had him personally for the percussion ensemble, he was completely normal and an excellent teacher.

I found out 25 years later he was fired from his position due to his "style." Funny, but we all loved the guy, he could be funny as hell and was incredible as a band director and teacher, but he had his semi-violent issues that must have gotten the best of him. His kids were all incredible musicians.

In today's world, the Snowflakes would've neutered him right away or fired him in months. I shudder to think about the quality of teachers today that can't speak/act honestly, but that's a complete other subject to discuss outside the forums.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

Your high school had a 190 piece orchestra???

Quote:
I had the opposite in high school, everyone i talk to from concert, jazz and marching band loved the guy. He was funny but somehow he silently demanded and got your respect. i will never forget the time i screwed up but he defended me. a week before a big competition for the concert band, i subbed on timpani for a senior. i had to site read this piece while the band was 100 percent locked into it. i didnt hold a crescendo roll long enough and towards the end and the entire 190 piece orchestra looked back at me and started to make comments. Mr T. ( not that one) spoke up and said btw he is site reading this piece and doing a fine job. never forget that he had my back on that. nicest guy in the world!
Old 03-11-2018, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

That's sort of the thing — Rich wasn't a school teacher who needs to be nice.

He was a paying band leader.

If you get hired to play a certain way and then you screw off and bend notes and get sloppy, and then make recordings of when your boss throws a fit because of it, you ought to be left on the side of the road.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post
That's sort of the thing — Rich wasn't a school teacher who needs to be nice.

He was a paying band leader.

If you get hired to play a certain way and then you screw off and bend notes and get sloppy, and then make recordings of when your boss throws a fit because of it, you ought to be left on the side of the road.
Yeah, absolutely. Yelling at pros for screwing up is not necessarily unfair. What bugs me is that he talks crap about rock drummers, many of whom were inspired to start drumming by watching Buddy on TV.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
What bugs me is that he talks crap about rock drummers, many of whom were inspired to start drumming by watching Buddy on TV.
Good point.

Maybe I can provide a little insight into Buddy’s rock and roll drummer comment.

My father was a big band drummer and drum teacher. He played drums from the 1920’s to the 1990’s. When the Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964 I was 14 years old. My father and I watched it together. At that time there were not very many rock drummers around. More importantly you would never see one on TV. Remember the only way you could see someone play rock and roll back then was to go to a concert.

So think about the commonly acceptable style of drumming back then, Krupa, Bellson, Rich, etc. And then watch Ringo play. You will see a great difference in the way Ringo plays compared to the “right” way to play. Ringo broke most of the drumming rules. My father was very critical of Ringo’s style. He was especially critical because he was teaching me the “proper” way to play drums.

Go ahead, watch Buddy play, then watch Ringo play on Ed Sullivan. See how many things you can find that are “wrong” with Ringo’s playing. And watch how Ringo plays a very simple beat. Of course now a days we think of it as “different” and not “wrong”.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Your high school had a 190 piece orchestra???
Yes, class LL for our size if i remember correctly. huge marching band too as most of us played both. we won competitions in Newport and Montreal for orchestra and halftime show competition...band trips were the best. The drinking age was 18 in Montreal back then and we never got carded.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:52 AM

I see so many saints and ignorant people speak up when there are Buddy talks. That is an actual serious comment coming from me. Y'all don't get or understand that he always spoke his mind, and that all the solo stuff he played was a very little part of what made him great. Of course he yelled, got mad, and had a temper. I can take some one you know from your friend/family/work circle and rip them apart from my view of them. You know why? Because I've never met them and I don't know them. I have only seen them yell or be an asshole to someone else for reasons that I have no clue about. How does that sound to you?

Offended these days? No way!

I'm more of a Steve Gadd fan and get into all the big band/jazz drummers that had the ability to let you know that it's "that individual drummer" playing when you hear them on a radio somewhere. If Steve Gadd is playing a simple rock beat with some band I've never heard of, I can immediately tell it's Steve. That's what Buddy was taking about when talking smack about other drummers and I agree.

Of course there are exceptions to that and there are many things that Buddy had a strong opinion on that is complete BS. It's that way with all of us. He just let you know and I like that quality in people that are real in your face because I'm the opposite. I have friends that are the same way-will say whatever comes to mind whether you like it or not. That's a rare thing and see where it pisses people off. Usually I laugh at the people that get butt hurt over those tires of personalities.

Cheers
Old 03-13-2018, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Old 03-13-2018, 08:09 PM

He was the greatest in HIS time.