DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 02-13-2018, 09:53 PM

Default Bonham triplet spacing

I've been practicing Bonham triplets (RLK LRK) and I haven't had much success. I've been playing them with a metronome and gradually increasing my speed. They don't have the "rolling" feel or sound of Bonhams triplets. I started slightly delaying the kick to get more separation instead of playing all three notes "on top of the note" and Im starting to get more of the rolling sound/feel. Im still not on target and I feel like its taking forever to get comfortable with the feel.

Do any of you know if he intentionally played the kick late or am I just losing it...
Old 02-13-2018, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bonham triplet spacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonez View Post
I've been practicing Bonham triplets (RLK LRK) and I haven't had much success. I've been playing them with a metronome and gradually increasing my speed. They don't have the "rolling" feel or sound of Bonhams triplets. I started slightly delaying the kick to get more separation instead of playing all three notes "on top of the note" and Im starting to get more of the rolling sound/feel.

Do any of you know if he intentionally played the kick late or am I just losing it...
I think he just went by the sound - he wasn't a huge technique guy, from what I understand, so he probably just played them til they sounded the way he wanted them to.

That should work for you, as well.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I think he just went by the sound - he wasn't a huge technique guy, from what I understand, so he probably just played them til they sounded the way he wanted them to.

That should work for you, as well.

Good advice!

I definitely don't feel the notes align with a "typical" triplet. When I set my metronome to triplets and play basic RLR triplets on the snare it doesn't feel or sound anything like a Bonham triplet. The triplet are tight and accurate but there is no "roll". Bonham is slightly messing with the timing somehow but Im not sure how he is messing with it nor have I found an effective way to practice the feel.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

For these quick runs over different drums and limbs, you absolutely must start very slow and build up the muscle memory. It took me a few years to really be able to do it consistently and on command without wavering time. Set a click slow and practice without speeding it up. You have to train each limb to "fire" in succession.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Interesting question. Reminds me that I have heard that Bonham played "behind the beat" and the inevitable discussion about whether it was intentional-" I think I will play behind the beat" or more of a "I think this sounds\feels really cool this way"....or both.

I honestly cannot manage my timing to that degree. For me it is a matter of how it sounds or feels in the context of the music I am playing to.

If I tried to pull of a triplet to a metronome I would probably flub it. But if I nust "put the record on" and played against a Bonham triplet without thinking about it too hard I can pull it off (well...maybe get close....lol).
Old 02-13-2018, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonez View Post
Good advice!

I definitely don't feel the notes align with a "typical" triplet. When I set my metronome to triplets and play basic RLR triplets on the snare it doesn't feel or sound anything like a Bonham triplet. The triplet are tight and accurate but there is no "roll". Bonham is slightly messing with the timing somehow but Im not sure how he is messing with it nor have I found an effective way to practice the feel.
Dr Watso gave good advice, and there is another factor to consider, too. Dynamics. That rolling feel you seek isn't just determined by timing but by dynamics, too. Be sure to experiment with that.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:14 PM

I found doing single stroke roll between FT-K Makes it easier to get into the Bonham triplet: just add a stroke on a high Tom (FT-K-T) works pretty well for me.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

I've been working on these exercises, too. Very helpful!

https://youtu.be/oOJIfE1dlos
Old 02-14-2018, 02:16 AM

My all time favorite "thing" is rolls on the kit, so many variations.
RH K K LH (eigth notes)
Rh LH K (triplets)
RH K ("single strokes")

I could never get them to sound fluid and fast enough to sound like a roll
I eventually figured out 1) Dynamics. My hands were much louder than the kick. I needed to firstly relax - I worked slow, concentrating on the sound, until the muscle memory set in (so hands were always in the right place, not changing where they are.. I had a habit of always bring the stick back to the snare even if the next beat was on the FT). This helped a lot, but still didn't sound much like a continuous roll.
2) Increased the speed to where it fell apart, slowed down, tried to speed up, rinse and repeat. At a slow tempo (necessary place to start) it didn't sound like a roll when finally the speed got up.. not I was getting somewhere.

For me it was the combination of the dynamic and the speed and the motion.
For me at least I needed to get all three correct before it sounded any good.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't be sticking it RLB-LRB-- just do RLB. It's also easier if you don't start with the triplets-- instead do regular 16th notes alternating between a flam with the hands and bass drum: FBFB. When you can do that consistently up to speed, you can open up the flam a little bit to turn it into the triplet lick. I think Tommy Aldridge explained it that way in Modern Drummer somewhere. Do 16ths and add some slop.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:51 AM

I watched Bingham and it appears that he played LRK and that is the way I practice it. Every once in awhile it sounds right on, bu not always.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlepro View Post
I watched Bingham and it appears that he played LRK and that is the way I practice it. Every once in awhile it sounds right on, bu not always.
Put LRK together in a roll: LRKLRKLRKLRKLRKLRKLRK- it depends on where in the roll you start-but in the end it begins to sound the same. RKLRKLRKLRKLRKL, KLRKLRK]LRKLRKLRKLR etc...Just figure out how to end it.
Bonham, it's Bonham.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlepro View Post
I watched Bingham..........
There's your problem.

You're watching the wrong bloke.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:15 PM
WhoIsTony?
This message has been deleted by WhoIsTony?.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:25 PM

I am in no position to give instruction, but I find for triplets, that if you double them up making sextuplets, they tend to flow a little better. Also, playing them along to 3/4 (6/8, ...). Or, in a swing feel.

I am building upon (in general) playing more comprhensive fills that weave in and out of 4/4 & 3/4. - 5/4, 7/8, 9/8, ...are definitely easier on guitar lol.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfingers View Post
Put LRK together in a roll: LRKLRKLRKLRKLRKLRKLRK- it depends on where in the roll you start-but in the end it begins to sound the same. RKLRKLRKLRKLRKL, KLRKLRK]LRKLRKLRKLR etc...Just figure out how to end it.
Bonham, it's Bonham.
I do this as well but sometime lead with the Kick, KLR-KLR, then when coming back in, the L crash is a beat ahead and hits with the Kick. Starting with the kick is easy for me to make it smooth and even.