DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-04-2018, 08:12 PM
veecharlie's Avatar
veecharlie veecharlie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 228
Default First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

I thought to make a thread for all those who are playing/will play their first gigs and need help. Combine tips, tricks, best practices, links and stuff, your own advise, etc.


I hope this sounds like a good idea.(?

Here is my contribution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2QSCHcEU74&t=630s
__________________
Entrepreneur | Vlogger | Drummer
https://www.youtube.com/c/ValentinaVloggingdrummer
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-04-2018, 09:03 PM
JoePasko's Avatar
JoePasko JoePasko is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 71
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

Don't dawdle on stage, between songs.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-04-2018, 09:25 PM
MrPockets's Avatar
MrPockets MrPockets is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,036
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

Don't forget to press and starch your cape to keep it looking good.
__________________
Drum is fum
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-2018, 10:03 PM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5,686
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

Random tips....

1: Your water goes in a spill proof container.
2: Spare sticks within reach.
3: Smile and (pretend to) have a great time.
4: Go potty before taking the stage.
5: Terrycloth towel.
6: Pimp your merch and schmooze after you strike the stage.
7: Hand sanitizer in case you have to shake two dozen people's hands.
8: Throw a roll of premium quality TP into your gig bag (you'll thank me later)

Advanced tips:

If the bar is having a special, on say Red Stripe, ask the bartender for an empry bottle and put it in a place next to you that is visible to the audience.
Stagger your booty-shakers and slow-numbers 3/1 or 4/1 to control bar-run-flow.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-05-2018, 12:22 AM
veecharlie's Avatar
veecharlie veecharlie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 228
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Random tips....

1: Your water goes in a spill proof container.
2: Spare sticks within reach.
3: Smile and (pretend to) have a great time.
4: Go potty before taking the stage.
5: Terrycloth towel.
6: Pimp your merch and schmooze after you strike the stage.
7: Hand sanitizer in case you have to shake two dozen people's hands.
8: Throw a roll of premium quality TP into your gig bag (you'll thank me later)

Advanced tips:

If the bar is having a special, on say Red Stripe, ask the bartender for an empry bottle and put it in a place next to you that is visible to the audience.
Stagger your booty-shakers and slow-numbers 3/1 or 4/1 to control bar-run-flow.
Number 4 it’s so true!!!! Lol I don’t want to be nasty.

Today I was not really feeling good and I realized I should prepare a Malay bag with “emergency” painkillers and stuff like that. It can really make gigs quite easier lol
__________________
Entrepreneur | Vlogger | Drummer
https://www.youtube.com/c/ValentinaVloggingdrummer
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-12-2018, 06:33 AM
ZildjianLover ZildjianLover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 334
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

1. Have several pairs of spare sticks within reach.
2. Have a backup snare drum in case something on your primary one malfunctions or you bust a head.
3. Have at least two drum keys on your person and/or in your stick bag.
4. Don't play on an empty stomach - eat before the show.
5. Take a bathroom break before the show.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-12-2018, 06:43 AM
cbphoto's Avatar
cbphoto cbphoto is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Möbius Strip
Posts: 713
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

There are great suggestions here!

My 2¢:
To avoid or minimize nervousness and/or anxiety, learn your music to the point of knowing every note to play in every song. Have the tempo of every tune memorized, or use a Tama Rhythm Watch in “stage mode”.
__________________
~ CB
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-21-2018, 07:44 PM
philrudd's Avatar
philrudd philrudd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 414
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

1) Relax.

2) Double-check that you have all your gear before leaving for the gig. Then check it again.

3) Relax.

4) Remember the club/bar/stage will sound differently than your rehearsal room. Try to filter it out as best you can, and just concentrate on your parts, not so much the sound. (Practicing and then playing with good hearing protection is, I've found, an unintended benefit in facilitating this.)

5) Relax! You started drumming to have fun and meet chicks - always remember that! It ain't brain surgery.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-21-2018, 08:15 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,251
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

Step 1) look up all the other threads on this same subject.

Step 2) ???

Step 3) Profit.
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-28-2018, 08:07 PM
philrudd's Avatar
philrudd philrudd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 414
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Step 1) look up all the other threads on this same subject.

Step 2) ???

Step 3) Profit.
I've done poorly with two of these.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-28-2018, 11:20 PM
rummy rummy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 183
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

I make sure to eat and poop. I tend to forget those two on gig days.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-28-2018, 11:22 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,251
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummy View Post
I make sure to eat and poop. I tend to forget those two on gig days.
This just needed to be quoted for it's profoundness.
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-01-2018, 10:58 AM
MatzeM MatzeM is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

After playing in primarily small venues which only required a bass drum microphone, I had my first "real stage" gigging experience with a fully microphoned kit two weeks ago and encountered some difficulties with the sound engineer.

We play a viariety of styles ranging from bluesrock to more jazzy/funky stuff during our concerts. Accordingly, I adjust my playing dynamics. So there are some passages where I play fairly quiet and others where I do play louder. Overall, the engineer thought I was one of the quietest drummers he ever mixed. I'd like to hear the opinion of more experienced drummers in regard to this. Do you guys adjust your playing dynamics with a fully microphoned kit? Do you play louder overall and "equalize" your playing volume?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-01-2018, 02:51 PM
beyondbetrayal beyondbetrayal is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 1,762
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

You need more than 2 sticks.
Don't forget a drum key.
Eat a good meal before leaving the house.
Take a pre show dump before leaving the house.
Don't get hammered waiting to go on stage.
Sound check involves hitting a few notes and a groove , it's not a solo.
Between songs don't solo or "jam" with the bass player.
If you think your a rockstar, your not.
If you think you suck your probibly better than your giving yourself credit for.
No one remembers any mistakes you will make, or even notice for the most part.
Don't tune the house kit if it's your first gig.
DON"T SPEED UP, live shows you tend to speed up a ton, especially first time.
bring a towel, stage lights are hot.
Be humble after and say thank you to complements even if you think your set sucked.

most important, have fun.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-01-2018, 02:53 PM
beyondbetrayal beyondbetrayal is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 1,762
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
This just needed to be quoted for it's profoundness.

I was quoted in a documentary last year on some local music stuff, I was asked if I had a pre show ritual. All I said was pre-show dump.

The guy working the camera lost it so hard we had to redo the take and they insisted I repeat that, so I am sure that will end up in the video. To any musician / drummer though, you guys know what I am talking about. Once that adrenilin kicks in or the nerves, you'll be happy you did. haha
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-01-2018, 03:02 PM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5,686
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
I was quoted in a documentary last year on some local music stuff, I was asked if I had a pre show ritual. All I said was pre-show dump.

The guy working the camera lost it so hard we had to redo the take and they insisted I repeat that, so I am sure that will end up in the video. To any musician / drummer though, you guys know what I am talking about. Once that adrenilin kicks in or the nerves, you'll be happy you did. haha
All this time, the audience thought you simply were putting on your mean-face. Little did they know.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-02-2018, 03:18 PM
eclipseownzu's Avatar
eclipseownzu eclipseownzu is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New London, CT
Posts: 1,421
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

Soundcheck (if you get one) is not a time to practice your drum solo. The goal is to get a good level on every drum, not to practice your blast beat skills. Hit each drum, play a four on the floor beat, roll across the toms and call it good.

You monitor mix (if you have one) will not be great. Figure out what you need (for me its kick and rhythm guitar), have it put in your monitor and roll with what you got.

Between songs is not a time to practice your drum solo. Finish the song, get a drink, wipe off some sweat and get ready for the next one.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Black Label's Avatar
Black Label Black Label is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 133
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

1. Make sure your spare sticks are within reach
2. Don't try anything new - play what you rehearsed
3. Watch your tempo
4. Keep an eye on the band leader in case there's a change of plan
__________________
‘71 Ludwig MPM kit / ‘69 Ludwig Supra / Paiste / Vic Firth
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-03-2018, 03:59 PM
beotos beotos is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
You need more than 2 sticks.
Don't forget a drum key.
Eat a good meal before leaving the house.
Take a pre show dump before leaving the house.
Don't get hammered waiting to go on stage.
Sound check involves hitting a few notes and a groove , it's not a solo.
Between songs don't solo or "jam" with the bass player.
If you think your a rockstar, your not.

If you think you suck your probibly better than your giving yourself credit for.
No one remembers any mistakes you will make, or even notice for the most part.
Don't tune the house kit if it's your first gig.
DON"T SPEED UP, live shows you tend to speed up a ton, especially first time.
bring a towel, stage lights are hot.
Be humble after and say thank you to complements even if you think your set sucked.

most important, have fun.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-18-2018, 05:23 AM
Dibalo Jonze's Avatar
Dibalo Jonze Dibalo Jonze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mountains, Colorado
Posts: 78
Default Re: First gig tips? Let's make a thread.

make sure that playing the songs is second nature so that on the gig you have some overhead to be aware of the other things people have mentioned like keeping tempo and appropriate dynamics.

If that is all under control:

Have Fun!
Smile!
Let the audience see that you genuinely love playing music and that you love playing each song that you're playing.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com