DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:16 PM

Default Are ahead cases worth the price tag?

I'm trading in my beat up hard shell cases for new to me soft shells for my luddy.

I own a set of soft shells for my Yamaha kit which I really like how I can carry all the drums in one go. Those are no ahead cases but they are still decent enough for what I do.

My brother just picked up a set of ahead cases for one of his kits and swears by them but are a little ridiculously priced I think.

Thoughts?
Old 02-27-2018, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Are ahead cases worth the price tag?

Yes. I have some I've been using for years that are as good as new, despite being regularly crammed into a sub-compact car. They are on par with Protection Racket cases (which I also have) but I like them a bit better because the zipper extends down on each side of the handle, making it easier to get drums in and out (especially helpful for bass drums). For me, they qualify as a "buy once, cry once" purchase.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleeeeen View Post
Yes. I have some I've been using for years that are as good as new, despite being regularly crammed into a sub-compact car. They are on par with Protection Racket cases (which I also have) but I like them a bit better because the zipper extends down on each side of the handle, making it easier to get drums in and out (especially helpful for bass drums). For me, they qualify as a "buy once, cry once" purchase.
My local music shop only has the FT i need in the protection racket case for $60. I could go to the coast and get a full set of Ahead or other cases at once.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:07 PM

OK I got a quote from DCP:

Ahead Armor 14x6.5 Standard Snare Case - AR3006 $42.99

Ahead Armor 18x16 Floor Tom Case - AR2017 $74.74

Ahead Armor 24x14 Bass Drum Case - AR1424 $108.54

Do you think this will fit my 14x10 rack tom?
Ahead Armor 14x8 Snare Case - AR3009 $49.39

Edit, I can get the protection racket 14x11 case for 53 from GC.

Last edited by bearblastbeats; 02-27-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearblastbeats View Post
OK I got a quote from DCP:

Ahead Armor 14x6.5 Standard Snare Case - AR3006 $42.99

Ahead Armor 18x16 Floor Tom Case - AR2017 $74.74

Ahead Armor 24x14 Bass Drum Case - AR1424 $108.54

Do you think this will fit my 14x10 rack tom?
Ahead Armor 14x8 Snare Case - AR3009 $49.39
I'd say no to the 14x8. I'd get a 14x12 and use extra 2" for towels or other soft accessories.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Weaves View Post
I'd say no to the 14x8. I'd get a 14x12 and use extra 2" for towels or other soft accessories.
Believe it or not, GC is actually 9 dollars cheaper if I get everything through them and not DCP.

I would have to buy one case from GC if I went for the other three at DCP regardless.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:51 PM

What are your thoughts on Elite pro?
Old 02-27-2018, 09:37 PM

The Ahead cases are nice and some of them have cool little features, IMO. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2018, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

I own 4 of the Ahead cases.
Really fantastic, and had I not invested in hard cases in the years prior to them being developed I would probably own many more.
YouTube
Old 02-27-2018, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Believe it or not, GC is actually 9 dollars cheaper if I get everything through them and not DCP.

I would have to buy one case from GC if I went for the other three at DCP regardless.
I was just commenting on the fact that 14x8 case wouldn't fit. That said, I'd spend the extra 9 bux to help keep an entrepreneur in business than some big box outfit like GC.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Weaves View Post
I was just commenting on the fact that 14x8 case wouldn't fit. That said, I'd spend the extra 9 bux to help keep an entrepreneur in business than some big box outfit like GC.
I totally agree. It was an observation really.

I wish my boys are the MMM had drum gear. They downsized the drum department the past few years but are in the process of rebuilding it.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:52 AM

Wow, I'd never seen these bags before. I'm going to have to invest in better hard cases soon as I'm doing more and more touring where the kit has to be shoved into the back of a van with amps and cabinets. Do these have any hard structure to them? We often have to rest flight cases on top of a drum or two so I really hate the idea of any kind of soft case, BUT these look super sweet. Might just have to get some for local stuff because those cheapo ones I got last year are only about 1/2 a step above useless.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

If you want top quality and performance, plus longevity, you have to pay for it. They are great cases, I have a set and they are better than my Protection Racket cymbal bag, and thats a good bag.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Great bags, I have a set for my Magstar kit. Really well made
Old 02-28-2018, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

I have Ahead bags for my snares. The other day I was loading in and while trying to open a door I dropped the bag containing my beloved Joey Kramer Black Magic from a height of about three feet - CLUNK! Not a scratch or dent on it. I'm currently pricing out what bags for both my kits would cost - because I'm now a believer.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm trading in my beat up hard shell cases for new to me soft shells for my luddy.

I own a set of soft shells for my Yamaha kit which I really like how I can carry all the drums in one go. Those are no ahead cases but they are still decent enough for what I do.

My brother just picked up a set of ahead cases for one of his kits and swears by them but are a little ridiculously priced I think.

Thoughts?

A bit confusing hear looking at the word 'cases', which usually denote hard shell. Bags are bags and soft. Get's figured out a little later in the thread.

Anyway, P RACKET 'bags' are well made, but they do wear out in the same places as other bags do. PR bags are heavier than the most all of the competition (maybe 'all'), and they're definitely more expensive. I have a set of PR bags and I see the same kinda wear I've seen on bags considered 'lesser'.

I'll look at other bags in the future since PR bags are bulkier (to stash at a gig) and heavier... and the price. If you're schlepping bags its a given you're not throwing your drums around, bags are bags, you don't need a ton of padding, just enough.

PROTECTION RACKET summary- Great bags, but I'd be just as happy with others I've seen/use.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

I have both Ahead and Protection Racket bags, and with the exception of Ahead's new design allowing more space for suspension mounts and such, they're identical. However, I still own a set of Humes & Berg Enduro hard cases and a couple of SKB hard cases, as well as a hard bass drum case made by Gator (The Protechtor line). And if I'm doing something where I'm hauling on my Rock n Roller cart, or if it looks like I'll be dealing with rain, I'll use the hard cases. But the bags are adequate for gigging around town, and you can stack your drums in bags on a cart too. I think bags are good if your drums are light. If your drums are really heavy, you'll soon stretch out the bag.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:37 PM

I ended up going with ahead bags from DCP. Shane is great. They didn't have the 14x10 bag on site so I placed my order on the phone for pick up on Saturday and he is going to ship me the bag to my house when it comes in at NO CHARGE.

Spent about $280 for all four bags.

Now, I have a set of old hard shell drum cases I am looking to let go of. Could be used for storage of anything other than drums since three of the cases are square. I know some may think it could be a cool little end table or whatever too, if they're into that. Custom foam interior by yours truly and whoever Paul R. is painted his name on the side.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:44 PM

I just picked up a snare bag. It's very nice but I'm not a fan of the big rubber insignia on the face of it. Since it's sewed on has anyone every removed one?

I called the 800 number and they agree it could be cut off but said it would void the warranty for whatever that's worth. My other cases are SKB roto molded hard cases and they of course offer a lot more protection. The Ahead bags would be fine if your doing your own transportation.