DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 01-11-2018, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Ted Reed's Syncopation

Thanks a lot for your input! I was mainly asking because I thougt it'd be interesting to know these tunes but I probably mixed it up with the Chapin book. Anyway, thanks for the new ideas for using Syncopation - CSD is a great blog!
Old 01-11-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBachman View Post
This may seem sacrilegious, but I'll say it: It's not the book that's great, it's how you manipulate the patterns in it outside of the book's originally intended context that is great, (but as I mentioned falls short in triplet mode for me).
Completly agree with you, ´heard you´ve been EXCOMULGATED, haha.

Best regards!
Old 01-11-2018, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sanguinetti View Post
Completly agree with you, ´heard you´ve been EXCOMULGATED, haha.

Best regards!
Nah. Second partials are evil. It's the devil's music, I tell ya. lol
Old 01-11-2018, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

I excramorculate these statements. a) The interpreted stuff was intended-- if you look at Reed's other books, he's just writing out some of the common practice methods used with the main book. b) If it's such a weak book, why do all these idiots keep buying it and using it, decade after decade? You should write such a weak book. c) You guys never had to read a triplet partial in actual music in your lives. Not at a speed where you actually had to practice it. Be honest. Maybe in college, never in the field.

I could use a few things that aren't in the book, so I write my own stuff, or use Chuck Kerrigan's book-- it has a section on triplets with rests, in something resembling a real world context. Also quarter notes triplets, and a few pages in 3 and 5. If I need 16th note rhythms I read Reed in 2/2. If I wanted to actually look at 16th notes in ink, I would dig out Bellson or New Breed, which I never do.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:23 AM

The best thing about Sync. is that it teaches you to read and count rhythms. The four quarters posted at the bottom of the measure keep you on track. The teacher shows you how to count, and you teach yourself the rest in incrementals. It's not complicated, which is why it's such a strong book to begin with. And the Syncopation exercises are exactly the kind of rhthms you see on big band charts. And basic independence is the icing on the Ted Reed cake. Ari Hoenig wrote a book similar to it, Drumming Technique and Melodic Independence, that goes into triplet partials. But it's all in 4/4. What I'd like to see is someone to write, Syncopation II that covers odd times, triplet and 16th note partials. That would make it a complete system.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

I've been kicking around writing a Reed supplement for a few years-- I'll finish it sometime. The main things I miss in the original book is 3/4 and 5/4, and quarter note triplets. Maybe half note triplets, maybe 7/4. I could stand to see some two-measure exercises dealing with running dotted-quarter note or 3/8 rhythms. Like I said I don't miss the 16th notes rhythms-- reading in 2/2 to get the same kind of rhythms has been way more beneficial to me.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:41 AM

Interesting thread...I've been working on using "Syncopation" in my funk playing by using the source rhythms as sixteenths but using some of the same "rules" for breaking up the lines between snare and bass drum.

The first PDF of this stuff I just posted on "The Drumming Blog," and it provides the rhythms translated for you so you can just add any funk/eighth note or sixteenth note cymbal pattern to make it into groove ideas.

I find this gives you a Keith Carlock-ish kind of a vibe and I'm still experimenting with different ways to break up the lines of exercises 1 through 9 between the hands and feet, but.... if this sounds interesting, you can find it here:

"Funk Translations for Syncopation Part 8"

Hope some of you find it interesting or helpful.

WATCH: BANG on YouTube