DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place

Your Place Who are you? - Where you live? - Show your Kits - Put up your Music - Show Your Chops!

Old 02-13-2018, 07:35 PM

Default Newbie

Hi,
Iím new to drumming, taking it up at the grand old age of 55. Any hints, tips or advice would be gratefully received. I have had to stop playing guitar because arthritis is a bitch, but drumming seems to be helping. I am also really enjoying it.
As I said any help or advice is more than welcome.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Newbie

Welcome Aboard!

Not sure I have any words of advice, other than enjoy! and find friends to play with, but you'll find tons of useful and friendly advice here on everything drum-related.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

Right on, glad drumming is helping. Welcome and good luck on your drumming journey....its endless fun!
Old 02-14-2018, 12:40 AM

Thanks guys, itís a bit daunting but I am really enjoying it so far.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:56 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Welcome. I would spend a lot of time reading throigh this forum. Spend time on the Tecnique section and donít waste time asking ďwhat is the best (fill in the blank). You will get a lot of opinion that will only comfuse. Also go to Youtube and Search drum lessons but ignore anything from Expert Village. There are so many questions and answers on this forum, you could spend the next 55 years reading but that is Ok. And as a newbie familiarize yourself with the forum rules and please post questions in the proper section, now go have fun. Johnny
Old 02-14-2018, 02:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morddred View Post
Hi,
Iím new to drumming, taking it up at the grand old age of 55. Any hints, tips or advice would be gratefully received.

Get a teacher. Even if it's once every two months.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:27 AM
Silver Member

Welcome! I am glad you are here. There is a lot of solid information on this forum and all over the internet. Always remember to have fun!!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:56 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome you've to the right place I hope you "stick"around cause this place has a plethora of drummers from beginners to pros (a great bunch, supportive, and one of most civil forums I've ever participated) and DW is a cornucopia of knowledge and info-I've often argued encyclopedic. Bernhard should write a Encyclopedia and call it "Ask Drummerworld" which would be a condensed version of about every drum-percussion, recording, music, industry, technology, business related question you could think of that has been asked here. It's too funny how many drum related searches I"ve done that leads you to DW.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:33 PM

Welcome! Welcome! As member, "GetAgrippa" said, this is a wonderful place for drum and drummer knowledge! And I agree: Bernard should write a book! Of course, nothing beats the site, itself!!! There's tons and tons of drummers listed on the main page that you can learn about.

My all-time favorite drummer, of course, is the legendary Ronnie Tutt who (of course) has worked both with Elvis Presley & from 1981 until his announcement of retiring from live shows due to being diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, the legendary Neil Diamond. Neil, of course, will still record so I suspect that Tutt is still, technically, his drummer but - there won't be any more tours or live shows, sadly.
Phil. 4:13; Jer. 29:11
Old 02-22-2018, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys, very much appreciated. I have a teacher who I am confident will keep me on the right track. I now have my own drum kit so I will be able to have unlimited practice, in theory, although the wife and the neighbours may say different.
I have a Mapex V-Series kit that is second hand but virtually new. It still has the original Mapex Heads, is it worth changing them for better ones?
Old 03-29-2018, 11:57 PM

Yes. On three fronts. First, for better sounding drums and to experience your kit with new heads. 2nd, to begin to learn about seating and tuning the drum heads and snare wire R&R. And third, to hear for yourself / learn some of the differences between the various head types.

To the 3rd point, I would pick one drum, a smaller tom would be a good starting point, and get several different batter heads, single ply, double ply, etc. And hear some of the differences.

I have a similar story. Old. Long time guitarist, got into drums about 5 years ago. Enjoy.