DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 02-18-2018, 09:36 PM

Default How to remember what i played for jazz solo?

Im working thru the art of bop drumming and im working on soloing right now. There is this question and answer soloing format, which is this:

All measures are in 4/4.

Question 1, two measures. Answer 1, two measures.
Question 1, two measures, Answer 2, two measures.
Answer 1, two measures. Answer 2, two measures.
Answer 1, two measures. Question 1, two measures.

Im having trouble remembering more sophisticated phrases that i just played while inprovising. The point for me is to be able to improvise the solo while remembering what i played. How can i progressively expand my memory while improvising? Planning out and practicing what i want to play for the solo kind of defeats the purpose, other than question 1 which is based off the melody of the piece.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How to remember what i played for jazz solo?

Nobody actually plays off a phrasing structure like that, though. I would just try to play the tune or form and leave it at that. If you're aware of a few possibilities for giving it some order, that's good enough-- they will come out in your playing without you having to work at it.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt3407 View Post
...The point for me is to be able to improvise the solo while remembering what i played. How can i progressively expand my memory while improvising?...
Well, it comes a moment in oneīs playing that itīs a bit like phrases with words...Example (in a conversation): If you exposed concept A, and you want to use explanations B and C to support it, you better know from the start (A) what you wanted to state, otherwise, most likely your explanations tend to be erratical at most, WHICH NORMALLY I FIND IS THE WAY WHAT MOST PEOPLE TALK, jajaj.

But since jazz drumming is something more serious than politic, and other subjects, in that especific case you mentioned (and I outlined in my answer) if you have trouble to remember what you played before could be: 1) you donīt play very concrete phrases 2) you might not be able to "hear" the phrases... 3)there are no phrases in what you play (hahaha!), etc...

In any case, you donīt NEED to solo like that, but itīs useful to have that "weapon" in your "arsenal".

Here a VIDEO of me playing (from year 2000), sometimes using that concept, at least on the first 4īs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaaV2UyLwhI
Old 02-20-2018, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sanguinetti View Post
if you have trouble to remember what you played before could be: 1) you donīt play very concrete phrases 2) you might not be able to "hear" the phrases... 3)there are no phrases in what you play (hahaha!), etc...
Put another way, if you can't remember it, it must not have been very important. ;-)

A couple of other things:

Not everyone solos motivically, like we're talking about. It happens to be an easy way for drummers to sound like they're not just banging on stuff, but it's not an essential thing. Like when Sonny Rollins did it, it was unusual enough that people remarked on it. Listen to some horn players and see how many obvious repeating motifs you hear.

It helps if you take an attitude that everything you do is melodic. Quarter notes on the hihat are melodic. When you think and hear that way, it's easier to make a solo that makes sense without relying on stock phrasing structures and ideas.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Not everyone solos motivically, like we're talking about... it's not an essential thing...
Yes, this was implied here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sanguinetti View Post
...In any case, you donīt NEED to solo like that, but itīs useful to have that "weapon" in your "arsenal"...
Best regards!