DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Default Maybe time to drum share?

I have been blessed to have been a gigging drummer since 1971. In 1982 I started my full time working career working in the I.T. field. So since 1982 I have been doing two jobs and I have been gigging roughly 120 jobs per year, some years a bit more. At 62, soon to be 63, I am seriously considering a job share on drums. It's a system that we currently have in place with our keyboard players and it's working out very well.

It is bittersweet but time is ticking by. My wife and kids made great sacrifices so I could continue to play. I missed a lot of family activities as well as spending time with both family and friends. I still love to play but I am getting tired of the drives, the late night, the setup and tear downs.

Any of you find yourself in a similar position?
Old 08-29-2016, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Maybe time to drum share?

Can you define "drum share?"
Old 08-29-2016, 05:16 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

There's nothing wrong with picking & choosing gigs, at any age, if you can afford it (and I'm guessing you can.) But most important is enjoying life, so go for it!

Bermuda
Old 08-29-2016, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Pork Pie Guy,

Drum share, I play most of the gigs, but have another drummer play the other gigs. Our guitarist is also a very good drummer and we have another guy who is looking for work who also plays a very good bass guitar, so there is some flexibility there.

Scary, never thought I would be willing to give up gigs but it is what it is!
Old 08-29-2016, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for your explanation. That definitely helps.

I'd say feel blessed that you have gigs to turn down! Playing drums is a very physical activity, whether it's the playing itself or it's the hauling in and hauling out. Man, 45 years is a good haul. No judgement here on wanting to slow down.

I REALLY slowed down after my kids were born. Now that they are a little older and we don't have any babies in the house (they are now ages 5, 7, and 10), I've started taking them with me when I can. As a matter of fact, a week ago Friday I had a gig at a local college that afternoon. It was really cool to see my youngest out dancing with college girls! When we almost done, he started to cry. When we asked him what was wrong, he said, "I don't want everybody to leave!" It was a fantastic night that I won't soon forget.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:24 PM

I had a baby two years ago and it pretty much brought my gigging to a halt. It became very onerous to invest hours into a gig, for not much money, while my wife was at home with the baby.
On the bright side, my two-year-old loves banging on the drums. She also sings and bangs on her xylophone.
So in a way this has re-inspired me to keep learning about music so I can teach her. I have a few friends that play music with their kids and it seems like the best thing ever. So I hope to do that with my daughter in the future.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:33 PM
Gold Member

I do a similar thing in my job (auto mechanic). Getting older and cutting down on my work schedule . I'm 50 now and have another 20 years to go.
I stop doing engine and transmissions replCements and stopped working on Wednesdays.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

I'm going through exactly the same thing, even though I don't gig nearly as often as you. My day job has me on the road for 15 days a month. So, playing every weekend was always out of the question. Three of us in the band are in their 50's and 60's (myself included). Thankfully, from the get-go, no else wanted to play every weekend, either. But, even with 2-3 gigs a month plus practice, the demand on my time (and family life) was becoming too much.

The band has started breaking in another drummer to play when I can't. I'm fine with the idea. When I joined the band three years ago, I envisioned doing it for 3-4 years, so where I see this going is where I will eventually be the backup guy...might be a graceful way to bow out...

I'm really looking forward to this Saturday: outdoor gig, and the new drummer is going to come along as well. This will give him a chance to sit in on a few of the tunes they've been working with him without the pressure of playing a full 4-hour gig the first time out. AND...it will give me the chance to hear our band -- and my drums -- from out front for the first time!
Old 08-31-2016, 03:12 AM
Platinum Member

I hear you Fre, I'm already a bit frustrated thinking about this up coming weekend. I have a Friday night gig, so after work I drive over 2 hours in rush hour traffic, Saturday I'm playing a festival in western Nass and I live in eastern mass, Sunday I play an Italian feast at 8:00 pm, then Monday a parade in the morning then off to NH at night before dragging my tired ass back to work Tuesday. Missing a family cookout, a neighborhood block party and time away from family. A double edged sword for sure.

Don't get me wrong and I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, maybe I am a bit! I have been very fortunate and I appreciate every gig. Maybe just getting old and looking at things a bit different lately?

Last edited by 2bsticks; 08-31-2016 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:54 PM

At 47, the only thing I don't like is the occasional late nights simply because I have to be up at 5:00am for my job.
The current rockabilly scene I'm in makes drum gear very low key, so I'm on & off the stage in 5 minutes or less.
But I play standing up, so that sorta balances it all out physically.

No other drummers I know will play like I do (as it's part of our look), so sharing would be an issue. I'll keep on keeping on for now until I need a cane seat to prop myself up. =-D
Old 02-16-2018, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Mercury Drummer View Post
I had a baby two years ago and it pretty much brought my gigging to a halt. It became very onerous to invest hours into a gig, for not much money, while my wife was at home with the baby.
On the bright side, my two-year-old loves banging on the drums. She also sings and bangs on her xylophone.
So in a way this has re-inspired me to keep learning about music so I can teach her. I have a few friends that play music with their kids and it seems like the best thing ever. So I hope to do that with my daughter in the future.
Man, this is one of those things that scares me about having kids. I want to still be me, and not just Dad. When I'm me, I play the damned drums and gig out.

Did you think you would keep playing or plan to stop when you had the little one?
Old 02-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post
Scary, never thought I would be willing to give up gigs but it is what it is!
I'm with you dude. I'm up to the 18 year mark of regular gigging and I find after a few months of continuous gigging as well as the Mon - Fri slog it starts to get to you and wear you down!

Essentially your weekend is gone. I'm out the house by 4pm Saturday and get back at 4am Sunday. If I'm disturbed before the crack of noon on a Sunday without Tea or Breakfast meats I can be a little grouchy.

I took a month off in November last year and loved it, got offered gigs and turned them down. Went over to Ireland and did a winter break in Poland. I'm coming to the end of the wedding winter break before it all goes apeshit again and it's been nice to spend time with the wife and friends at weekends.

Sometimes you have to think about number 1 :)