DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 02-05-2018, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

Default This Is Why I Cringe When Someone Says They Want To do A Pink Floyd Song

My own opinion and not the gospel.

This song is probably now the most covered Floyd song and I have yet to play in a band that covers it properly.
At least this fellow knows the lyrics and he was doing his best so I am not knocking anyone in this band and quite likely this was thrown together quickly.
But kids; leave those Floyd songs alone.

https://youtu.be/Jj7pDNDuoJ0
Old 02-05-2018, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: This Is Why I Cringe When Someone Says They Want To do A Pink Floyd Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. Thomson View Post

This song is probably now the most covered Floyd song and I have yet to play in a band that covers it properly.
At least this fellow knows the lyrics and he was doing his best so I am not knocking anyone in this band and quite likely this was thrown together quickly.

I usually hear another brick in the wall more than comfortably. At any rate, these guys are horrible and it's really not that hard of a song to play.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:42 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: This Is Why I Cringe When Someone Says They Want To do A Pink Floyd Song

There will always be bands playing covers poorly, or badly, but that shouldn't be an indictment of the song or the original artist. There are countless great players who can do just about any song justice.

Bermuda
Old 02-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
There will always be bands playing covers poorly, or badly, but that shouldn't be an indictment of the song or the original artist. There are countless great players who can do just about any song justice.

Bermuda
Some bands are harder than others to get the same "feel". Zepp comes to mind. It's easy to play the same notes in the same order, much harder to get the same playing feel as Bonham and the boys, though.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'd say the song hasn't been properly covered since the early 80s, since that's when Roger Waters and David Gilmour parted ways. Since they are both featured heavily in this song, I knew they would never be able to duplicate it properly with their diminished versions of Floyd. I wish those guys would lose the egos and reunite already.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Some bands are harder than others to get the same "feel". Zepp comes to mind. It's easy to play the same notes in the same order, much harder to get the same playing feel as Bonham and the boys, though.
Agreed, same with Ringo, and Keith Moon. But it's still possible to do great covers of those bands, even if they're just 99% 'there'. Nobody in the audience is going to leave because With A Little Help doesn't have exactly the same lilt as the Beatles' track.

Bermuda
Old 02-05-2018, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Agreed, same with Ringo, and Keith Moon. But it's still possible to do great covers of those bands, even if they're just 99% 'there'. Nobody in the audience is going to leave because With A Little Help doesn't have exactly the same lilt as the Beatles' track.

Bermuda
You're not kidding about moonie. I almost never hear anyone even attempt those iconic Who songs. The way that dude hit his drums certainly made for a unique and recognizable sound!

Interestingly, I definitely do not have a problem finding people covering the Beatles! I think that they're such a baseline inspiration for so many players that we all kinda have a little ringo-ness in us without even knowing or trying. It's what we grew up hearing almost every day!
Old 02-05-2018, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

That was so bad that it's still not good.

Hey, my band actually does this song pretty good.

(Minus that whole solo thing)
Old 02-05-2018, 10:51 PM

Most covered Floyd song? Honestly, I thought it would be Wish You Were Here. It's a muso's favourite, isn't it?
Old 02-06-2018, 01:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Diss'n on the drummer? The whole band is terrible, the singer at the bottom.

All these guys are beginners.

For all we know the drummer could've been the only one in the band not wanting to do this song, and for all we know the drummer might have '21st Century Schizoid Man' down note for note... heavily stressing 'might'.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
You're not kidding about moonie. I almost never hear anyone even attempt those iconic Who songs. The way that dude hit his drums certainly made for a unique and recognizable sound!

Interestingly, I definitely do not have a problem finding people covering the Beatles! I think that they're such a baseline inspiration for so many players that we all kinda have a little ringo-ness in us without even knowing or trying. It's what we grew up hearing almost every day!
Most Beatles songs - particularly any of the rockers - aren't hard to make sound authentic. But shuffles, like With A Little Help and Penny Lane, have that Ringo touch that's hard to duplicate. Ticket To Ride is a bit tricky, even to hear Ringo himself explain it. And the fills in Rain... good luck!

Bermuda
Old 02-06-2018, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Most Beatles songs - particularly any of the rockers - aren't hard to make sound authentic. But shuffles, like With A Little Help and Penny Lane, have that Ringo touch that's hard to duplicate. Ticket To Ride is a bit tricky, even to hear Ringo himself explain it. And the fills in Rain... good luck!

Bermuda
No argument. I'm one of those in the camp that starts to sweat when stuff like that is called.

Even though I get tired of it easily, beatles is one of those bands that if you're having trouble gelling at a jam or open mic, finding stuff everyone knows, it's a good bet everyone knows at least the popular beatle stuff.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:22 AM

Just to show that Comfortably Numb can be covered well. This is from a great SoCal tribute band called Which One's Pink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I0XJ9gCqc8
Old 02-06-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:

I admit, they don't do it justice. I will also say that I've seen this video (and others) before, and they manage to destroy any song covered, so (in this instance) it doesn't have much to do with the difficulty/or feel of the Floyd song specifically. Maybe they just need to buy more expensive equipment. ;)

T.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:04 PM

Man I hate to pile on but... DAMN, it gets worse.

Same band doing some Eric Clapton. Couple of them are playing 'Cocaine' the others are playing something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYk3lEb_fe4
Old 02-06-2018, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stand View Post
Most covered Floyd song? Honestly, I thought it would be Wish You Were Here. It's a muso's favourite, isn't it?
They got it covered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyGukH50Row

Best comment: "Pink isn't well."

Last edited by boomstick; 02-06-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stand View Post
Could be a regional thing.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:28 PM

I often participate in the Wednesday night open mics at my local Sam Ash. The guy who usually comes up second in the rotation for lead guitar always forces us to play "Hey You." He is in his early 60s, and keeps slowing down and speeding up sporadically since he has no sense of rhythm, especially on this particular song, and blames me for rushing the tempo. Every time I hear this or other Pink Floyd songs on the radio, I relive my memories of arguing with this airhead guitarist.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Just to show that Comfortably Numb can be covered well. This is from a great SoCal tribute band called Which One's Pink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I0XJ9gCqc8

Me not care for this version, painfully slow, then (where all young musicians usually speed up) races (more than +10 BPM) in the ending guitar solo.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianLover View Post
I often participate in the Wednesday night open mics at my local Sam Ash. The guy who usually comes up second in the rotation for lead guitar always forces us to play "Hey You." He is in his early 60s, and keeps slowing down and speeding up sporadically since he has no sense of rhythm, especially on this particular song, and blames me for rushing the tempo. Every time I hear this or other Pink Floyd songs on the radio, I relive my memories of arguing with this airhead guitarist.
When something like this comes up from a new guy at our jams, I usually say "Huh, good thing this is just open jam night and not a real performance, eh? Maybe later we can try to figure out why "I" am only rushing when you're playing?"

Then I roll my eyes and abruptly turn around to stare at the wall instead of them. Works 100% of the time to get them to go away.