DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 03-02-2016, 03:10 PM

Default Beginner direction?

Hey guys,

I have been learning the drums now for around 3 months and have picked up lots of useful info/lesson on-line but realise that I should introduce some structure to my learning.

There are so many places to start which can be a bit overwhelming and I need advise (or guidance to an old post) on where to focus i.e. rudiments for hours, playing along to music, limb independence....so much to think about!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Rob
Old 03-02-2016, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Beginner direction?

I think a great place to start is to find a good teacher in your area. Even if you only do a lesson a month, they can help guide you forward, but also make sure you aren't rushing through things without fully controlling them.

Also, they are silly, but the Drums for Dummies/Idiots Guide to drums type books are a really good resource. You can find them used cheap online, and I would suggest reading it front to back like a book. You will learn a lot that way, and it provides a lot of different exercises and styles to work through to develop a solid base.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:43 PM

also just saw this Beginner advice thread a few posts down:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130340
Old 03-02-2016, 04:00 PM

Coincidentally, I am also into this three months :)

I have been taking lessons, which is kinda spendy, but has been very much worth it in terms of giving me direction, and correcting flaws in my form that would have gone unnoticed and become ingrained habits.

I could go on with specific examples, but my point is just that a real live teacher will be best suited to giving you personal attention and direction.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:10 AM
Silver Member

If you can find a drum instructor nearby or have a drummer friend to help you that would be ideal. Watching lesson videos on YouTube is great but having someone teaching you in person is much better, you might not realize you're doing something incorrectly and it's harder to unlearn bad technique than it is to learn correct technique the first time around.
If you can't find an instructor or drummer buddy nearby record videos of yourself playing and post them on YouTube and put a link on this forum asking for critiques/advice.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:53 PM

Hi, I'm a teacher who's been playing for over 20 years. I'm putting my teaching format into a guide for beginners. While this may help offer some direction it won't help with critiquing of your playing or technique, you need an instructor for that. I highly recommend finding a teacher and at a BARE MINIMUM taking at least a few lessons. They can (as long they're good, make sure you find the RIGHT teacher) help tell you if you're developing good technique, if not how to correct it. They can also offer exercises and rudiments to practice, although I will be going over that in my beginner's drumming guide. Hope this helps! Remember this is unfinished and focuses mostly on coordination and fill structure.

http://colindrums.weebly.com/drum-guide.html
Old 03-08-2016, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the advice, i have now found a teacher.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Rob

Best advice I could give is practice along to songs, you'll learn feel and get use to playing in time to something and if it's music you like you'll enjoy it to boot!

Or even shadow drumming as it works on your muscle memory.

Learning an instrument should be fun.

Once you've got to a reasonable level then look at a drum teacher but there's tonnes of them online now thanks to youtube so you'll pick up all of your rudiments from there.

For technique I'd recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Chapin-Spe.../dp/B001VFM0VU

and to go with that Master Studies by Joe Morello.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:08 PM

Thanks mikyok.....just made an Amazon order!
Old 03-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Hi Rob

Best advice I could give is practice along to songs, you'll learn feel and get use to playing in time to something and if it's music you like you'll enjoy it to boot!

Or even shadow drumming as it works on your muscle memory.

Learning an instrument should be fun.

Once you've got to a reasonable level then look at a drum teacher but there's tonnes of them online now thanks to youtube so you'll pick up all of your rudiments from there.

For technique I'd recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Chapin-Spe.../dp/B001VFM0VU

and to go with that Master Studies by Joe Morello.
Master Studies is a fantastic book, but it was intended to be the next step after you've done your due diligence with Stick Control and Accents and Rebounds. Not really a beginner's book.

Playing along with music is always good advice. That's what we're here for, afterall.

The point of getting an instructor is not just to show you rudiments or patterns such as you might find in Youtube videos (you're right, that stuff is all easily accessible) but to give you instantaneous personalized feedback on your technique, sound, etc. and then provide you with advice and instructions on how to best improve your playing in as little time as possible. A video can't correct that little duck hook with your left hand when you play backbeats, or hear the small fluctuations in your time, etc. An instructor's job is to ensure that the student gets into good habits from the get-go, so that they don't waste precious time going down blind alleys, or require massive (re)adjustments to their technique later on. You wouldn't just start doing karate on your own and hope to get to a "reasonable level", then go see an instructor just to find out that you actually have no idea how to properly throw a punch.

I have self-taught players of many experience levels come to me regularly who get a massive shock when I explain that they will now need to basically go back to square one on certain things to re-develop more effective habits and technique. They usually arrive on my doorstep because they've hit a plateau in their playing. And usually they've hit that plateau because without the right input from an experienced set of eyes and ears, they've followed the path of least resistance to self-limiting technique, poor timekeeping, or whatever.

My advice to the OP wouldn't be to wait to get an instructor, but to see one immediately and start as you mean to go on.

Last edited by Boomka; 03-09-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1979 View Post
Hey guys,

I have been learning the drums now for around 3 months and have picked up lots of useful info/lesson on-line but realise that I should introduce some structure to my learning.

There are so many places to start which can be a bit overwhelming and I need advise (or guidance to an old post) on where to focus i.e. rudiments for hours, playing along to music, limb independence....so much to think about!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Rob
Mind feeling a bit blown? Honestly the world of internet drumming will blow you up, I was too tight and proud to get an instructor in my early days. Big mistake. Being hell bent on self tutoring is nothing short of ego trip.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:41 PM

Hi samthebeat! I am not sure how much you already know. If you don't know some basic foundation rhythms and theory (which you will need to know), check out this article: http://www.doremistudios.com.au/five-drum-grooves/
Old 02-14-2018, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

Now that you have your teacher, go forth young man!

And stay off the internet. Seriously.