DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 02-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

Default Practice pad vs mesh head vs drum mute

What's your opinion on these for snare practice?

I'm looking for the most faithful rebound akin to a true head with the least volume.

There's quite a price difference with practice pads being the most expensive, drum mutes the cheapest.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Practice pad vs mesh head vs drum mute

None of them exactly replicate a real drum head. There's some form of trade off with all of them.

In a purely practical sense, the pad probably offers the best compromise as you can get different surfaces that offer different levels of rebound. Get a couple with different feeling surfaces and they can cover a bit of ground.

Mesh heads are great, but they are more designed for the specific purpose of substantially reducing the volume of a drum kit. They're not the most realistic feeling surface, but they don't claim to be. Volume reduction is their primary aim. Excessive rebound would be their biggest downfall. Even with a relatively loose tension, they're still pretty bouncy.

Mutes would be my least favoured option. The things bounce around like crazy and tend to offer the least realistic feel. Very dead and thuddy. That said, a mute placed on a loosely tuned floor tom offers one hell of a wrist work out. So they're not completely without benefit, just not my preferred option.