DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 02-08-2018, 04:19 PM

Default Buying all new cymbals...I like the K-Hybrids

I've played drums for over 40 years. Currently I have a mix and match set of older cymbals. Zildjian A crash and Vintage A HH's. Paiste alpha ride. Paiste crash. Zildjian a custom splash. Zildjian ZBT china.

I do not play out (but plan to). I play classic rock (Rush, Who, etc), progressive rock (think early Genesis, Pink Floyd, King crimson), Jazz (think Joe Morello, Weckle, etc).

I was leaning for a new set of Zildjian A series since they are quite adaptive to any music. I also played Sabian Artisans (i love the HH's) Paragons. The Meinl Byzance traditionals were quite impressive as well. I played quite a few Paiste cymbals and would be please, however, I did not have a real connection like I did the Zildjians and Sabian Artisans. The Paragons seemed like a higher priced, louder A series.

The K custom Hybrids stood out ( I only played HH and ride). Nice jazzy tone...plus seems quite usable for Rock and hard rock as well. Not as dark as standard K's...not as bright and shimmering as A customs.

Just curious if others are using the Hybrids as a good all around cymbal?
Old 02-08-2018, 04:27 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Buying all new cymbals...I like the K-Hybrids

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleClark View Post
I've played drums for over 40 years. Currently I have a mix and match set of older cymbals. Zildjian A crash and Vintage A HH's. Paiste alpha ride. Paiste crash. Zildjian a custom splash. Zildjian ZBT china.

I do not play out (but plan to). I play classic rock (Rush, Who, etc), progressive rock (think early Genesis, Pink Floyd, King crimson), Jazz (think Joe Morello, Weckle, etc).

I was leaning for a new set of Zildjian A series since they are quite adaptive to any music. I also played Sabian Artisans (i love the HH's) Paragons. The Meinl Byzance traditionals were quite impressive as well. I played quite a few Paiste cymbals and would be please, however, I did not have a real connection like I did the Zildjians and Sabian Artisans. The Paragons seemed like a higher priced, louder A series.

The K custom Hybrids stood out ( I only played HH and ride). Nice jazzy tone...plus seems quite usable for Rock and hard rock as well. Not as dark as standard K's...not as bright and shimmering as A customs.

Check out the new K sweet.

They seem pretty versatile.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Gold Member

You can't really go wrong with As/Ks/AA/HH/Byzance/Giant Beat/2002 if you're thinking the big brands.

From your current set up a higher quality ride will be the biggest benefit to you. Try as many as you can in person before you make your choice.

Show us some pics of the new pies anyways!
Old 02-09-2018, 01:24 AM

There are so many choices out there. I also like the regular Zildjian K line.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

I've always played Zildjian. Thought Paiste's looked cheap and machine made-yes I was an idiot. Beside Paiste, Sabian, Bosphorus, Instabuls, Meinl, big names-new comers Soultone, Dream, Murat Diril, Supernatural and Zion are making fine cymbals too. I'd like to change up but I've invested a ton in Zildjian but some of these newcomers I'd like to try.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

If you've tried a variety of cymbals, and the K Custom Hybrids are the ones calling out to you, then those are the ones you should get.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:20 AM
Silver Member

I like regular K's too, and especially the Dark Thin crashes. These days, with the Meinl Byzance Sand/extra dry etc. being very popular, the standard K's aren't very dark at all. Just good allround cymbals! I find the KC Hybrids a bit brash.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalTransformation View Post
I like regular K's too, and especially the Dark Thin crashes. These days, with the Meinl Byzance Sand/extra dry etc. being very popular, the standard K's aren't very dark at all. Just good allround cymbals! I find the KC Hybrids a bit brash.
That's funny. I plan on keeping my 1960's Ludwig Maple Classics as a smaller second kit (buying new drums next year) and thinking of the Benny Greb pack. If I did not play such a wide variety of music, I would be all over these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob4-YXdeYps
Old 02-09-2018, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

I use a 20Ē K Custom Hybrid ride. I love it. Itís a great sounding cymbal that works as a good Crash too. I donít really use it as a crash, but it is versatile.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalTransformation View Post
I love the dark thin crashes and then I got my hands on an Amedia Vintage 20" crash. That's the way to go if you like thin dark cymbals that are old school.

Not sure where the OP is from but Amedia are the best cymbals for the money in the UK but they are based on the other side of the pond as well. I was at the local music store not long back and the price of cymbals is getting silly here.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
I love the dark thin crashes and then I got my hands on an Amedia Vintage 20" crash. That's the way to go if you like thin dark cymbals that are old school.

Not sure where the OP is from but Amedia are the best cymbals for the money in the UK but they are based on the other side of the pond as well. I was at the local music store not long back and the price of cymbals is getting silly here.
I'm in the US. I'll check out Amedia's site.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
You can't really go wrong with As/Ks/AA/HH/Byzance/Giant Beat/2002 if you're thinking the big brands.

From your current set up a higher quality ride will be the biggest benefit to you. Try as many as you can in person before you make your choice.

Show us some pics of the new pies anyways!
I agree with this accessment. The only one I see a need to replace is tha Alpha ride. Buying new wonít guarantee better sound
Old 02-09-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
I agree with this accessment. The only one I see a need to replace is tha Alpha ride. Buying new won’t guarantee better sound
I'm just replacing entire cymbal set. Just looking for something new. I actually like the ride. Really a decent all rounder for the price back in the day. The original crash and rides I had, were vintage 60's Zildians like my HH's (they all came with Ludwig drumset when I purchased used back in 78) had major keyhole issues. The previous owner did not use any cymbal stem sleeves and must have played the cymbals in more of a vertical position. Basically a second hole was "etched" along side the original. Very problematic, especially the crash, since the cymbal would always favor the second hole.

When I purchase a new set, I'll use my current drums as a second, scaled down set. I'm thinking of the Byzance Sand set or purchase vintage A's to go along with my HH's (which still sound great) for the second set

Last edited by DaleClark; 02-10-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleClark View Post

I've been using the hats and 20" ride exclusively for almost 8 years. I have two 13.25" hi-hat tops and they're both very different from one another. One is much brighter than the other, so I will switch them in and out depending on where I'm playing. I also have a Z custom bottom that I'll put on top or under either of the K's depending on the situation. They're very versatile.

I play in an 11 piece band that plays all different music, and these cymbals can take you in all different directions from song to song. I'm not crazy about the crashes(the china is great although not very durable), but the hats and ride get an A+.

I would look into the 14" hats and 21" ride, too. Those options weren't available when I was buying.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick3641 View Post
I've been using the hats and 20" ride exclusively for almost 8 years. I have two 13.25" hi-hat tops and they're both very different from one another. One is much brighter than the other, so I will switch them in and out depending on where I'm playing. I also have a Z custom bottom that I'll put on top or under either of the K's depending on the situation. They're very versatile.

I play in an 11 piece band that plays all different music, and these cymbals can take you in all different directions from song to song. I'm not crazy about the crashes(the china is great although not very durable), but the hats and ride get an A+.

I would look into the 14" hats and 21" ride, too. Those options weren't available when I was buying.

Yes..I would buy the Hybrid pack that comes with the 14 1/4 HH and 21 inch ride. What about the crashes are you not crazy about?
Old 02-10-2018, 07:42 AM

I haven't had much experience with the K Custom Hybrid cymbals, but the 21" ride is awesome. It is darker in tone than an A or A Custom, but subtly brighter than the 22" K Ride. It has the perfect amount of ping to carry through a hard rock mix, but it is a lot more crashable than you would expect it to be. However, I would have to say that the bell is where this cymbal stands out, as it is definitely dark while remaining focused and cutting.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:18 AM

I did some more cymbal sampling and a few observations:

-The hybrids are still the winner, the regular K's second

- I was very surprised how good the $499 (for the pack) Meinl Dark Classics sounded. Not certain how durable they would be. They look fantastic as well.

-Very surprised at the regular Meiln Classics. In fact, I prefered the 14 Classic HiHat over the sabian AA 14 inch HiHat. Still hard to beat New Beats.

- For some reason, maybe a different batch of cymbals, I was less impressed with the Sabian HHX line. It was a different store...maybe a different batch (same evolution set)

- The Meinl Byzance sand cymbals were the best dark cymbals I have ever heard...period. I'm not big on the 'trash can--rusty" look...they are totally awesome.

I think I'm going to purchase a set of K Hybrids while the AT mic promotion is going on (I have much better overhead mics...but I'm always willing to add more to my mic cabinet--even cheap pencil condensors).
Old 02-13-2018, 12:59 AM
Silver Member

The biggest issue I've seen with the big box stores displaying thin cymbals like the HHX Evolutions is they totally choke them by putting the felts on too tight. That totally kills their sound. The Meinel darks and Zildjian Ks by comparison have thicker bells and not quite as impacted, though it lessens their sustain as well. Listen to the Evos on Memphis Drum Shop, then compare to what you remember hearing. The Evos are fairly consistent, so if they didn't sustain like the MDS recordings, they were chocked to death.

Before I bought mine, I was looking at the same options as you. The Evos sit right in with your other choices.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
The biggest issue I've seen with the big box stores displaying thin cymbals like the HHX Evolutions is they totally choke them by putting the felts on too tight. That totally kills their sound. The Meinel darks and Zildjian Ks by comparison have thicker bells and not quite as impacted, though it lessens their sustain as well. Listen to the Evos on Memphis Drum Shop, then compare to what you remember hearing. The Evos are fairly consistent, so if they didn't sustain like the MDS recordings, they were chocked to death.

Before I bought mine, I was looking at the same options as you. The Evos sit right in with your other choices.
I agree. It's slim pickin's for any instrument unless you are looking for "entry-mid" level stuff. We have a very good drum shop that has top level gear in stock, Guitar (gutter) Center and Sam Ashe. I visited GC and SA this past weekend. The selection of drums is downright pitiful unless you want electronic drums. The GC only had a used DW classic maple kit. Everything else was entry level DWs and Ludwigs. Sam Ash did have a Ludiwig maple classic kit sitting high on a shelf.

I get that inventory for instruments can get expensive, so I guess it's best to stock the fast moving items.

Last edited by DaleClark; 02-13-2018 at 03:25 AM.