DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:31 AM
Gold Member

Default Was anyone in the audience for Fred Armisen's Drummer's Only comedy show?

It it a show with 100% drum jokes coming to Netflix.

http://www.newsweek.com/portlandia-s...nk-rock-781473
Old 01-17-2018, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Was anyone in the audience for Fred Armisen's Drummer's Only comedy show?

No jokes allowed here on the DRUMMERWORLD forum...
Old 01-17-2018, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Was anyone in the audience for Fred Armisen's Drummer's Only comedy show?

He did that live at Revival Drums here in Portland. I don't know if it was any connection to the Netflix thing. I was playing that night so I couldn't go.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
He did that live at Revival Drums here in Portland. I don't know if it was any connection to the Netflix thing. I was playing that night so I couldn't go.
According to the article, it was filmed for Netflix.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:34 PM
Gold Member

Ill have to check that out. Not to derail, but in a similar tv theme, I saw Criminal Minds episode where there was a jazz band playing. The drummer started off with brushes and then switched to sticks midsong, and the sound reflected the change. I feel like I haven't seen that before, didn't look like fake drumming, which is what I do, quite well.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:31 AM

whatta time to cancel netflix
Old 01-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

Anyone hear the one about the drummer that locked his keys in his hatchback?

The bass player was trapped in there for two hours.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Anyone hear the one about the drummer that locked his keys in his hatchback?

The bass player was trapped in there for two hours.
Glenn Fricker would like this joke.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:05 AM

Just a heads-up, but this is streaming on Netflix now. Here's the preview:

https://youtu.be/GAhvJMcLShU

(Not many jokes in the preview, though...)
Old 02-08-2018, 08:31 AM

Just watched it and liked it quite a bit. It would have been interesting to be at the taping and the after-party. It's worth a watch. The music store "staff" was a nice treat.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Bro View Post
Just watched it and liked it quite a bit.
Sorry, my opinion seriously differs. To me it was a complete waste of time. I just kept watching because I was hoping there would be something in the show to make this worth watching. There wasn't.

I enjoyed the drumming and thought that the 1920s kit was pretty cool and sounded really nice! But other than that, total crap!
Old 02-08-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
Sorry, my opinion seriously differs. To me it was a complete waste of time. I just kept watching because I was hoping there would be something in the show to make this worth watching. There wasn't.

I enjoyed the drumming and thought that the 1920s kit was pretty cool and sounded really nice! But other than that, total crap!
I would probably agree. Though I haven't watched it, I could barely make it through the 1 minute preview.

The preview was mostly him saying the impressions he was about to do, then they didn't show the impression. Then about 15 seconds of the 1 minute are of him laying on the stage for some reason that I may have missed.

Maybe it's because I am not a fan of his. But the only reason I'm not a fan is from other "drumming videos" of his that I've seen on YT. Most of the "jokes" are waay too drawn out for the pay off. Yes, drummers get these jokes, but because we are already drummers, we don't need the really long , in depth setup for the punch line. I don't think he gets that part of it, and why he misses the mark (in my opinion).

I think he tries too hard to connect drumming to comedy (I believe it's just so he can show that he plays drums), and in most cases (that Ive seen) the stuff in drumming that we usually laugh at,(sadly?) isn't from people that are trying to be funny, it just sometimes turns out that way- right Wailin?

and again in my opinion.

If it was on TV, I'd probably watch, just for the sake of drums, but I won't search it out on purpose. The YT comments (for the preview) don't appear very positive either, for whatever that's worth.

YMMV

T.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

I thought it was really cool that he was able to put it out there, but I didn't care for most of it. One star.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

I do enjoy a lot of what he does, Portlandia certainly has some very funny and creative moments. Documentary Now! Sandy Passage with Armisen and Bill Hader was pretty funny too.

But this? I admire the attempt but even if it had been edited down to 30 minutes I think it would have struggled... Having 20/20 hindsight, I think if he spent an hour interviewing well known drummers and having them tell "stories from the road" or "stories from the stage" he may have had more truly funny material that drummers would have appreciated more.

As I type this I am trying to recall at least one funny moment.....
Old 02-08-2018, 06:48 PM
MrPockets
This message has been deleted by MrPockets.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:13 PM

I didn’t think it was that great, it felt like Fred was trying too hard and there were actually not enough drummer and drum jokes, IMO. It drove me up the wall when he said “Whenever my friends go to Turkey, I always ask “Did you go to the Zildjian factory””. Fred, Zildjian’s in Massachusetts! Also, when he tried to criticize Jazz, it was clear pretty quick when he tried to play a standard swing beat that most of his hate probably comes from his inability to play it. It was fun seeing all those kits through the decades though, and for that I give it 3 1/2 stars.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:38 PM
Gold Member

I usually love fred but didn't find any of this funny at all.. I think he knew it also. when he did the dead fox rotting bit it was like.. wow gas tank is that empty already?

Honestly i would have been happier if he had just brought out thomas lang and had him do a clinic..
Old 02-08-2018, 10:32 PM

I'd say about half of it has nothing to do with drumming. I did enjoy the accents across US bit, and the drumset timeline bit, but other than that, meh.
5/10.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
I usually love fred but didn't find any of this funny at all.. I think he knew it also. when he did the dead fox rotting bit it was like.. wow gas tank is that empty already?

Honestly i would have been happier if he had just brought out thomas lang and had him do a clinic..
Me too. Lang has a wonderful sense of humor! Far better than Fred’s in this instance.

His Instagram feed of him and Donati had me on the floor.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummy View Post
I'd say about half of it has nothing to do with drumming. I did enjoy the accents across US bit, and the drumset timeline bit, but other than that, meh.
5/10.
Accents bit was brilliant.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:31 AM
Platinum Member

"... ‘Don’t come if you’re not a drummer.’ I only tell jokes about hardware, drumming styles, famous drummers.” - Fred Armisen

I would have loved an hour of jokes based on the drumming community, but nope, wasn't going to happen. I'd say about 7 or 8% of the "comedy" related to drumming.

Fred should have researched all the threads from here. He could have easily put together 2 hours of material on just how anal we all are about our gear.

The "Tom Angles" thread would have easily sufficed.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:50 AM
Gold Member

Quite liked it myself. Some of the comments above make me wonder if some watched an entirely different show.

Not the greatest stand up show I've seen but I could think of worse ways to spend an hour.

Enjoyble and good on him.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
Fred should have researched all the threads from here. He could have easily put together 2 hours of material on just how anal we all are about our gear.

The "Tom Angles" thread would have easily sufficed.
Jeff Indyke
The Cape Guy Thread
WailinSmash
That Canadian Mapex Guy who used to be here...

Just that is about a 20 hour set.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGHT3Zbb5kk

LOL
Old 02-09-2018, 06:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
That was better than the Netflix special. It really was.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:01 PM

If you are cool with laughing at ourselves.....

• How do you tell if the stage is level?
The drummer is drooling from both sides of his mouth.

• How can you tell a drummer's at the door?
The knocking speeds up.

• What's the last thing a drummer says in a band?
"Hey guys, why don't we try one of my songs?

• What do you call a drummer that breaks up with his girlfriend?
Homeless.

Lol
Old 02-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Silver Member

As standup comedy, it was pretty weak. Rather than having actual bits and jokes 70% of the time, he basically told the audience he had the idea for a joke, then did nothing with it.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendrad View Post
If you are cool with laughing at ourselves.....
Lol
There was one, and you can insert any drummer you like, that gave me a chuckle.... Goes like this...

Did you hear Charlie Watts tried to commit suicide?
He threw himself a little behind a train.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

He should do this routine in jail as you probably need an IQ below 80 to find it even remotely entertaining.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
you need an IQ below 80 to find this funny.
He was pretty clear that this is aimed at drummers as the audience.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:59 PM

I liked it for the most part, but definitely not your typical stand up comedy. My son watched it with me and got most of the drum related humor since I talk drums around him. He has been my guest roady and gets to see live performances on occasion. 6/10
Old 02-10-2018, 02:58 AM

I thought it was a great idea, executed with all the skill of a blindfolded firing squad wielding nerf guns.

It was embarrassing, sadly. someone ( even Fred) should do it again but do it right. It had the feel of someone doing material they hadn't finished writing.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:52 AM
Silver Member

I liked it, but I'm generally on board with Fred Armisen's approach to comedy.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:53 AM

The "drums through time" part was fun. That's where it started to pick up for me.

Fans of Andy Kaufman will probably like this show. I could see Fred Armisen thinking something like, "Wouldn't it be funny to put a few great drum kits on stage, bring in some amazing drummer, and then spend five minutes NOT playing drums? Maybe he could read a play or something..."

It's not going to have as broad an appeal as a Robin Williams or Eddie Murphy act, but it was entertaining.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuflyer View Post
I thought it was a great idea, executed with all the skill of a blindfolded firing squad wielding nerf guns.

It was embarrassing, sadly. someone ( even Fred) should do it again but do it right. It had the feel of someone doing material they hadn't finished writing.
My thoughts too

Yeah I love SNL, Fred and Portlandia, so I clicked on the movie the second I saw "Fred Armisen" and "drummers" in the title.

I have a theory that the genres or subjects we hold dearest to our hearts, are the things we are the most critical of.

Personal Example:

I love heavy rock and metal of the 60's through 90s.

So when a band or artist comes along and has a "Retro Vibe" type act, I am the most critical of it. (like Lenny Kravitz or Greta Van Fleet)

I think we as drummers are all too invested in the drumming world to be able to Objectively look at a show like this.

.....either that, or it just wasn't that good
lol
Old 02-11-2018, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

I enjoyed it.
I like Fred's comedy and he's a great drummer too.

Probably going to watch it a 2nd time.
YouTube
Old 02-12-2018, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry to say I found it really boring and not fiunny at all. Did I miss something or am too old to see the humor? If there was any>?
Old 02-12-2018, 07:01 AM
Gold Member

I give it a 6/10. The gear jokes were funny, the band practice jokes were funny, His audience impressions were funny.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:58 AM

I think this discussion is a great example of the subjectivity of art. And that's a good thing. Yes, I think comedy shows are a form of performance art.

Thankfully we all don't like the same thing. We can enjoy the same things for different reasons and not like the same thing for different reasons too. Again, this is a good thing.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:17 PM

Watched last night.

Was looking for filler. Found it.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:43 PM

I've played gigs with up coming stand up comedians in between sets. Some of them where so bad there was absolutely silence from jokes and you could feel the audience was terrified as was the comedians that failed.

This was much worse and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'm not a fake laugher(as the audience)and will stare you down if you suck. No judging but you better get your shit together if you are going to be in front of an audience.