DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-02-2017, 01:20 AM

Default Yamaha EAD10

We just launched a new piece of gear that's a new category. There's nothing else out there that does what this does, and it's very cool. For practice, for teaching, if you want to upload video to YouTube this is all you need. There is a lot of video content out there so take a look and hit me back with questions if you want. It's a whole lot of fun.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Yamaha EAD10

I want it! Send me one. Yamaha needs more visibility on YouTube for this.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQKWOV7d3k

Here is a pretty thorough demo by Simon Edgoose from the UK.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumnhands View Post
We just launched a new piece of gear that's a new category. There's nothing else out there that does what this does, and it's very cool. For practice, for teaching, if you want to upload video to YouTube this is all you need. There is a lot of video content out there so take a look and hit me back with questions if you want. It's a whole lot of fun.
1: How does it handle stereo? Can it do multichannel positional audio?
2: What's powering the CPU? ARM, custom FBGA / DSP, or something else?
3: Is there an API doc somewhere that allows for DAW integration and custom software?
4: How does it perform live (with other instruments blaring)?
5: Is the array's beam forming adaptive? Can I put it on a lefty kit without manual reconfiguration?
6: What is the range? Can it be used on big kits? Will it pick up the second, more distant floor tom?
7: Any behavioral changes for aux percussion? Aside from not being able to mount a cowbell on the BD, do I need to shake a tambourine or maraca in a particular location?
8: Can I change the effect on drum tracks 'after' they've been recorded? Do we get to access the raw recorded pre-processed audio?
Old 12-07-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
1: How does it handle stereo? Can it do multichannel positional audio?
2: What's powering the CPU? ARM, custom FBGA / DSP, or something else?
3: Is there an API doc somewhere that allows for DAW integration and custom software?
4: How does it perform live (with other instruments blaring)?
5: Is the array's beam forming adaptive? Can I put it on a lefty kit without manual reconfiguration?
6: What is the range? Can it be used on big kits? Will it pick up the second, more distant floor tom?
7: Any behavioral changes for aux percussion? Aside from not being able to mount a cowbell on the BD, do I need to shake a tambourine or maraca in a particular location?
8: Can I change the effect on drum tracks 'after' they've been recorded? Do we get to access the raw recorded pre-processed audio?
I'm really just starting to dig into it myself. It's not designed to replace micing your kit up in the studio for recording, but it's great for a lot of things. The unit on the bass drum contains a pair of condenser mics, tuned for reproducing acoustic drums and a trigger that triggers off the rim vibration. There are additional trigger inputs in the back, both stereo and three-zone. It does have sample import, about 100 samples like snare hits, etc. The biggest kit I've had it on is two up, two down with ride, crash x4, hats, splash x2 and it picks up the whole kit. Mounted at 12:00 on your bass drum, it works on right or left handed setups. There are 50 factory "scenes" with preset effects and voices assigned to the BD trigger. You can edit all of the effects and trigger voices and trigger parameters, and save them to any of 200 user scenes. The empty user scenes merely mic the kit with no effects so you can also start from scratch and build custom scenes from the ground up. You can adjust the balance between the trigger and mic as well. There is an aux in for your music player to play along with tracks. The free app for iPhone lets you import and record to tracks in your iTunes library(it analyzes the song and gives you a click) and shoot video at the same time, syncs the video to the music and you can launch to YouTube with a push of a button. You can also dump this onto a flash drive, so it's great for teachers to send video of lessons home with a student. For Android, you can record with tracks to a USB flash drive, but there is no app yet for the video function but it's in progress. It does work in a live situation but you'll want to back the mic off to keep it from feeding back. A couple of the guys here have used it and it works pretty well in a situation where you want to put some drums in the mix but don't have room or inputs to mic all your drums individually. I'll put up more info as I dig in(I wish that was all I had to do all day but I wear way too many hats here). The manuals are available online so you can download them and give it a look see. http://download.yamaha.com/
Old 12-07-2017, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Yamaha needs more visibility on YouTube for this.
At its release day, a dozen or so videos were released on Youtube. You still don't see that happening often. A good move.

#YamahaDrummers
@YamahaDrummers

www.musiqoundsproductions.com
Old 12-07-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I'm really just starting to dig into it myself. It's not designed to replace micing your kit up in the studio for recording, but it's great for a lot of things. The unit on the bass drum contains a pair of condenser mics, tuned for reproducing acoustic drums and a trigger that triggers off the rim vibration. There are additional trigger inputs in the back, both stereo and three-zone. It does have sample import, about 100 samples like snare hits, etc. The biggest kit I've had it on is two up, two down with ride, crash x4, hats, splash x2 and it picks up the whole kit. Mounted at 12:00 on your bass drum, it works on right or left handed setups. There are 50 factory "scenes" with preset effects and voices assigned to the BD trigger. You can edit all of the effects and trigger voices and trigger parameters, and save them to any of 200 user scenes. The empty user scenes merely mic the kit with no effects so you can also start from scratch and build custom scenes from the ground up. You can adjust the balance between the trigger and mic as well. There is an aux in for your music player to play along with tracks. The free app for iPhone lets you import and record to tracks in your iTunes library(it analyzes the song and gives you a click) and shoot video at the same time, syncs the video to the music and you can launch to YouTube with a push of a button. You can also dump this onto a flash drive, so it's great for teachers to send video of lessons home with a student. For Android, you can record with tracks to a USB flash drive, but there is no app yet for the video function but it's in progress. It does work in a live situation but you'll want to back the mic off to keep it from feeding back. A couple of the guys here have used it and it works pretty well in a situation where you want to put some drums in the mix but don't have room or inputs to mic all your drums individually. I'll put up more info as I dig in(I wish that was all I had to do all day but I wear way too many hats here). The manuals are available online so you can download them and give it a look see. http://download.yamaha.com/
Thanks for taking the time to write that up. I think one of these will be in my house sooner rather than later, reasonable price for the features.

One question that I haven't seen a solid answer on......does it come with a mount or more to the point what is needed to mount the unit (not the BD sensor) to the hihat stand etc.? I think I also saw someone with a slick setup that also had a iphone mount integrated....that is what I would like to do.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River19 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write that up. I think one of these will be in my house sooner rather than later, reasonable price for the features.

One question that I haven't seen a solid answer on......does it come with a mount or more to the point what is needed to mount the unit (not the BD sensor) to the hihat stand etc.? I think I also saw someone with a slick setup that also had a iphone mount integrated....that is what I would like to do.
I think you'll have a lot of fun with it. We use a simple parallel clamp to mount it to the hi hat, our CSAT-924AW works great. The EAD10 includes a mounting bracket that screws onto the bottom, with a standard 7/8" post on it. The mount has a tilter on it so you can adjust the angle. I got a little fancier on my home rig by using our HXACII dogbone clamp, mostly because I could since I already had a couple laying around.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:19 AM
Platinum Member

Found a guy with a video doing exactly what we would all do if handed one of these.....

15 mins of hardcore no-holds-barred noodling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2N3kCZ0qso

This thing actually looks not-horrible. I think my only complaint is a 40% margin. I look forward to picking up one when they hit $299.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

I can not wait to get my hands on one of these.
I tour with an industrial band in Europe and this will be perfect to blend sampled sounds in with my acoustic kit without having to trigger everything.
YouTube
Old 12-24-2017, 04:47 AM
Platinum Member

My wife surprised me with an early Christmas present. Really looking forward to trying this thing out. Not sure yet how I will adapt it to a live situation. My guess is there is an output to the PA system, or maybe through a mixer?
Old 01-04-2018, 06:44 PM

There's been a lot of discussion about EAD on another forum, so I posted this reply and the members are getting the idea of what it's about.

Everyone keeps getting stuck on how this works as a live application tool and missing the point of EAD10. EAD10 does work for micing your kit in a live situation, but that's not it's primary function. If you're doing covers or wedding gigs it does allow you to change up the sound of your kit to come closer to replicating the record. A bit of fiddling with the mic settings and it does work quite well. Add the triggering and it opens up a ton of possibilities. Guitar and keyboard players have been doing this for years, now it's our turn. It's not plug and play as a live tool, but if you spend just a little time tweaking it, it's very effective in a small room situation.

Where it shines is really as a great tool for home practice, teaching, and recording. Playing along to music that's well written and performed is a ton of fun and a great way to work on your time, feel, and dynamics. EAD10 puts your drums in the mx in your headphones, it's like you're on the record. Playing with drum-less tracks of your favorite songs allows you to create original drum parts, putting your own spin on a song you're familiar with. You can record this and then compare it to the original and study your approach to creating drum parts, really dig down and analyze what you're doing. Add the video aspect and you can spot bad habits in your posture, look at how the way your kit is set up affects your playing and make changes. And yes, if you want to put it up on YouTube, it's very easy to mix the drum/backing track levels and then you're a button push from instant fame and adoration. As a teaching tool, it's easy to record your lessons, both audio and video and send your students home with it on a flash drive. That makes their practice time even more productive, helping them learn faster and enjoy learning even more. They now have a video of their lesson, with you making corrections in their grip and other aspects of their playing, explaining how to interpret or read a particular piece, etc. EAD is great for recording demos for song writers. You can easily record several versions of a song, send them to the writer so that they can pick the version they like. This will save time(and money) in the studio when it's time to record the final project. There are dozens of uses for EAD10, and as more people get their hands on it I'm excited to see what other applications people come up with.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You can easily record several versions of a song, send them to the writer so that they can pick the version they like.
When you record, do you also get access to the two raw/unprocessed/dry audio & MIDI tracks?

IE: Can I record a song and change the module settings later?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:03 PM

If you record straight to a USB flash drive(which is what I was referring to), you can't change the effects. What I meant was you can record different versions, including effects straight to a USB drive. Doing it this way, you only have the finished results. You aren't recording multiple tracks that way, just the sound of your kit. If you're recording to computer recording software you can edit all you want and have access to the raw tracks. The cool thing about EAD10 is that all you have to do is clamp it onto your bass drum, pick the scene you want to use, balance the volume of your drums and the track and hit "record". The sound quality is excellent, and it couldn't be easier.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you record straight to a USB flash drive(which is what I was referring to), you can't change the effects. What I meant was you can record different versions, including effects straight to a USB drive. Doing it this way, you only have the finished results. You aren't recording multiple tracks that way, just the sound of your kit. If you're recording to computer recording software you can edit all you want and have access to the raw tracks. The cool thing about EAD10 is that all you have to do is clamp it onto your bass drum, pick the scene you want to use, balance the volume of your drums and the track and hit "record". The sound quality is excellent, and it couldn't be easier.
Let me reword this...

Current workflow:
Record a part "once" on my DTX-532 with Garageband via MIDI. Click play and loop the song. While listening, iterate through the list of virtual kits till I find drums that are a sonic match for the song.

EAD10 workflow?:
Record a song with a preset. Listen to it. Record again with another preset. Listen to it. Record again with another preset. Listen to it. Repeat, repeat, repeat, till I find the setting that is a sonic match for the song..

Correct? (aside from the fact that I'm pretending to be able to achieve one-take recordings)
Old 01-05-2018, 12:30 AM

I'm not well versed in Garage Band, but I believe(but forgive me if I'm wrong) that with your DTX kit you're recording MIDI, not audio. You can do that with the EAD10 by triggering all of your drums or using pads, using the trigger inputs in the back of the module.

If you're recording audio into garage Band, it would be the same as if you had your whole kit mic'd up and running through a mixer.

What I was talking about is just recording into the EAD10. Using the app on your phone you can record your drums to a track fro your iTunes library direct to a USB flash drive. You can mix the balance of your drums and the track on the app. You can either record over your performance, or record a new one but you can't replace the instruments.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

On pretty much any electric kit you can record your performance right on the module. When you are done recording you can play back your recording on any of your preset kits, even changing the kit right in the middle of the playback. Or, you can tweak the sound of any of the pieces on the kit. Don't like the sound of the ride on playback, tweak it as you listen. Snare sound bad, too much reverb, want to change the heads??? Tweak to your heart's content all while listening to your original performance. Like KamaK said, you can record once then adjust the sounds afterwards to sonically match the song.

Edit: I'm not sure how the EAD10 records its performance (I haven't watched any of the product demo videos), but it may have an on board memory bank that can record the performance and allow for tweaking afterwards. That would be a very smart and logical thing to have on the this module.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:45 PM

You're right about kit swapping when you record into the module on an electronic kit, but that's not audio you're recording it's MIDI information. That's a different thing. You can record straight into the module with the EAD10, but it's only about 1:30 of memory. Each time you record you replace what's there. You can save that recording to a USB flash drive, or record straight to the drive. You're recording Audio, the same as if you were all mic'd up in a studio and going to tape. You're not recording on separate tracks though, so you're not going to create a bunch of different drum tracks that can be swapped out. You can record different versions of the same song but you'll be recording finished versions of the whole thing. Kind of like when I was a kid and would play along to a record on my stereo while I recorded on my cassette player(yeah, I'm old). Only with great audio.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You're right about kit swapping when you record into the module on an electronic kit, but that's not audio you're recording it's MIDI information. That's a different thing. You can record straight into the module with the EAD10, but it's only about 1:30 of memory. Each time you record you replace what's there. You can save that recording to a USB flash drive, or record straight to the drive. You're recording Audio, the same as if you were all mic'd up in a studio and going to tape. You're not recording on separate tracks though, so you're not going to create a bunch of different drum tracks that can be swapped out. You can record different versions of the same song but you'll be recording finished versions of the whole thing. Kind of like when I was a kid and would play along to a record on my stereo while I recorded on my cassette player(yeah, I'm old). Only with great audio.
It is exactly that limitation that will keep me eagerly awaiting the EAD11, published API, or software update.

From the mounted mic/trigger you're getting two linear PCM streams and a MIDI trigger. If the module saved these three data streams, you would be able to change settings (kits) on playback, as the DSP doesn't care whether streams are from a wire or file.

Don't get me wrong. You have an amazing product, and the fact that you're able to do the processing in real time is astounding. The only two things that I disagree with are the price (this is a $300 product) and the nerf'ed software.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

After seeing this in person at NAMM, I'm impressed.

The advantages I see:
1) Ease of set up. So many times if I want to receord something, even a quick little something, it means setting up the mics, moving mics around, working the set up to get the right sound. When Nick (Living Dead Drummer) came over to record some ideas, we spent at least a 1/2 an hour or more just fussing with the bass drum, how much muffling, etc, until the mic picked up what we were hearing. Other times, but the time I've got all the mics dialed in, the moment of having an idea or being at my best has passed.

With this, boom, done in a fraction of the time.

2) It's essentially mic-ing from (almost) the perspective of the player. Very much reminds me of what Neil Peart was was trying to do when he had a mic tapped to his chest because he wanted the drums to sound like how HE heard them, and not how they sounded with mics in front of the kit.

So maybe it's not the ONLY mic you use. I'd probably still set up over heads just to have options. I'd have to play with it in person.

Back to not having each drum on it's own track, so much of WHY we want drums on their own tracks is to blend volumes the way we hear it in our heads, not the way the mics ended up picking it up. This sort of solves that from the get go.

3) Some songs you want a big rack tom. Other songs, maybe you want a couple of small toms. Maybe this song needs a side drum, while another one would sound better with different cymbals. Changing equipment usually means changing mics around. Which this, nope. You can change around your set up all you want, and not have to re-mic.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

LOTS of positive buzz about it at NAMM.
Many of my friends came up to me through the show raving about it. One of them said he even went back to listen to the live demonstration twice in one day.
YouTube
Old 01-29-2018, 12:51 PM
Silver Member

The more I've seen about this thing, the more ingenious it seems to be. Essentially it combines a bunch of different things uses into one.

1. Simple drum micing solution. Sure you can individually mic your drums and carry a mixer, and a bunch of mic stands and run cables. Or this and a couple xlr cables and you are done? Yes please for a working drummer.

2. E-drum effects on acoustic drums. So it's like an effects pedal for guitars. If you are in a cover band and want some electonic sounding kits, but you are also one of those types that don't like electronic drums because of their look or feel or size or head response or whatever, here you go. This seems to be the primary function. If I was in a corporate function or wedding band, I'd have already ordered one I think. Also if I did a lot of home recording, this is pretty great. Some musicians out there should be drooling at the sonic possibilities this opens up.

3. linking to video and youtube. I haven't seen a lot on this part yet, but it seems to have a bunch of functions for syncing to a video camera feed and recording, then directly uploading to youtube or whatever. Not my bag, but its what all the kids are doing these days.

4. This is the coolest little thing to me - you can take any mp3 song, and it'll figure out the bpm and put a click on top, but not only that, it extends it out in front of the song to give a count in. For learning new songs, this is really cool. I usually learn new songs with my ipad and edrum kit, but when I hit play, there's a lag, and I have no way to know when it'll actually start, so I usually miss the first bar. THat sucks when it starts with a fill.

That's what I understand to this point, maybe there is more. Certainly for the price of a decent snare drum, having all this function in one small thing should be a no brainer. Seems brilliant to me.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:03 PM
Gold Member

Mike Johnston did a demo of the EAD during one of his gear sessions, comparing it to his studio mics. It was a little thinner sounding overall, but man, a little thinner for saving on price and complexity and gaining all the features? Iíll be all over this at some point. Sure would save me a ton of cost and hassle just trying to record my playing for my own benefit. If itís a bit thin after the recording, Iíll do the unthinkable and EQ a touch!
Old 01-29-2018, 01:23 PM

I will have one within the next month or so, for all the reasons that are obvious. I think I will combine it with a couple of overheads or room mics
Old 02-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

This is one electronic drum gadget even I want.

Looks pretty much like a revolutionary lifesaver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQKD01LhUz8

Tw oor three versions later and it might be almost the only thing ever needed.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:07 PM

Anyone know if there is a way to send line in audio to the main outs or just the phones? Is it assignable?
Old 02-12-2018, 02:33 AM
Pioneer Member

I wonder how this will work if you have a tom mounted over the bass drum? I would think the tom would interfere with the mics picking up the rest of the kit.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:18 AM
Platinum Member

So there is a free app called Rec'N'Share you can get from the app store. There are a few Youtube videos showing it being used with the EAD10. One video is from Sweetwater and it's a good demo. However they never show you the back of the unit to see what type of cables and where you connect them?

Sweetwater guy Nick said you need a lightning wire to USB connector. It's a bit confusing to me because in the back of the unit there are 2 USB type inputs. A regular USB and then a USB to host connection.

Which connection do I use to connect my I-phone? The USB or USB to Host?

Anyone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZJQ3it9X1w&t=879s
Old 03-08-2018, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post

Which connection do I use to connect my I-phone? The USB or USB to Host?

Anyone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZJQ3it9X1w&t=879s
I'm pretty sure I saw on Facebook this morning that you need the Apple Camera Connection kit, and a USB printer cable (the to host plug). That's also how I hook my ipad to my DTX Multipad.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Hi and thanks, I saw that too. However I just connected my iphone to the ead using a straight audio cable and that seemed to work too?
Old 05-21-2018, 05:12 PM

Having bought one of these I finally got to try it out yesterday, and all I can say is it must run on some kind of actual magic because it is incredible.

I just don't understand how the one mic can pick up the whole kit so well. The compression effect works so well. I can't imagine using most of the different sound 'scenes' it contains: mostly I just want to simply record a normal sounding kit, which this does incredibly well. Quick to set-up, easy to use, does everything for you when it comes to making videos... Here's an example on YouTube of what I recorded with it, for those interested, in the sound - this is my first play with it so it can probably be better still than this but I'm really pleased with it. I'll be putting some more clips on my Instagram over the coming days, here's one with a slightly different sort of sound.

Honestly it's cheap for what it is. So good!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:22 AM

I really like mine but I find it loses the far floor tom and some cymbals. I also wish I could pick up some of the front of my kick and blend that in. Is there a way to hook up a mixer with a couple of extra mics to flesh out the difference? Yamaha instructions are incredibly hard to follow ( at least for me)
Old 05-22-2018, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post
Hi and thanks, I saw that too. However I just connected my iphone to the ead using a straight audio cable and that seemed to work too?
Glad I'm not the only one who had a hard time with this. I can use an audio cable fine but if I plug in my phone with the USB cable it doesn't seem to work. I tried looking up instructions but they don't really clarify it very well. I guess I'll have to buy another specialized cable
Old 05-22-2018, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsg View Post
I really like mine but I find it loses the far floor tom and some cymbals. I also wish I could pick up some of the front of my kick and blend that in. Is there a way to hook up a mixer with a couple of extra mics to flesh out the difference? Yamaha instructions are incredibly hard to follow ( at least for me)
I had this problem too, my 2nd floor tom isn't as crisp as the others and my crash ride to the far right of my kit doesn't have enough clarity. You can run mics through the device though

I have a 4 channel mixer hooked up to a bass mic and a condenser mic to the right of the kit to pick up the floor tom and cymbal. Then I run the 1/8" headphone audio jack from the mixer to the 1/8" aux-in slot on Ead10. Whatever the extra mics pick up will not have the same effects that you can get from the device though. It's not a problem for me because I only use the regular drum sound setting with a little bit of reverb, but if you want to use any of the crazy sound effects you might run into a few problems
Old 05-22-2018, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
I had this problem too, my 2nd floor tom isn't as crisp as the others and my crash ride to the far right of my kit doesn't have enough clarity. You can run mics through the device though

I have a 4 channel mixer hooked up to a bass mic and a condenser mic to the right of the kit to pick up the floor tom and cymbal. Then I run the 1/8" headphone audio jack from the mixer to the 1/8" aux-in slot on Ead10. Whatever the extra mics pick up will not have the same effects that you can get from the device though. It's not a problem for me because I only use the regular drum sound setting with a little bit of reverb, but if you want to use any of the crazy sound effects you might run into a few problems
Perfect. Not after the effects much except on the kck and snare( compression) anyway
Old 05-23-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who had a hard time with this. I can use an audio cable fine but if I plug in my phone with the USB cable it doesn't seem to work. I tried looking up instructions but they don't really clarify it very well. I guess I'll have to buy another specialized cable
Yeah it needs to be a Host to USB cable, going into a USB to iphone lightning plug converter. That's what it's intended to be and it works for me.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Here is a picture of one. I got it off Amazon for &18.00
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2018, 03:09 PM

As I'd mainly be interested in the one-mic-live aspect of this, I've been wondering if I could replicate that with a $100 boundary mic mounted somewhere centralish (maybe on a boom mic stand to allow experimentation with positioning) used with a suitable pre-amp and multi-FX unit to add reverb etc. Yet another thing to add to the endless 'must try that sometime' list...